Ben Hogan Drivers, Woods, ect.

Hogan story time.

I took a lesson from the pro at my home course yesterday, wanting to improve my strike with irons (it got better!). I brought both my modern XR Pros and my Hogan Redlines and he really lit up when he saw the Redlines, "I had a set like these back in the day!". He really approved of using old blades to improve strike, and told me a couple of stories from his youth:

The PGA pro he was taught by was Gunnar Mueller, first Swedish player to play the British Open back in -73. Gunnar was an avid student of Ben Hogan, he wrote a large five part series on Hogan in the national Swedish Golf Magazine back in -87, and because of that there was an upturn of interest in Hogan and his clubs in Sweden, so he got invited to visit Mr Hogan at the factory in Ft Worth. Now, this was his idol, so when Gunnar turned up with his wife (30 minutes early) he was nervous as hell, but just as the clock approached 2 when the appointment was he was informed that unfortunately the meeting had to be cancelled due to David Frost showing up for an emergency adjustment of his clubs. Meeting was postponed to the day after.

Next day, just a nervous, and just the clock struck 2, Hogan came out from his office, Gunnar jumped up from his chair extended his hand to greet him and... Hogan just walked past him and greeted Gunnar's wife instead... :taunt:

Now, he did get to meet Hogan, and they spent two hours talking, in this case meeting one's hero was not a bad thing at all!

Hogan story time.

I took a lesson from the pro at my home course yesterday, wanting to improve my strike with irons (it got better!). I brought both my modern XR Pros and my Hogan Redlines and he really lit up when he saw the Redlines, "I had a set like these back in the day!". He really approved of using old blades to improve strike, and told me a couple of stories from his youth:

The PGA pro he was taught by was Gunnar Mueller, first Swedish player to play the British Open back in -73. Gunnar was an avid student of Ben Hogan, he wrote a large five part series on Hogan in the national Swedish Golf Magazine back in -87, and because of that there was an upturn of interest in Hogan and his clubs in Sweden, so he got invited to visit Mr Hogan at the factory in Ft Worth. Now, this was his idol, so when Gunnar turned up with his wife (30 minutes early) he was nervous as hell, but just as the clock approached 2 when the appointment was he was informed that unfortunately the meeting had to be cancelled due to David Frost showing up for an emergency adjustment of his clubs. Meeting was postponed to the day after.

Next day, just a nervous, and just the clock struck 2, Hogan came out from his office, Gunnar jumped up from his chair extended his hand to greet him and... Hogan just walked past him and greeted Gunnar's wife instead... :taunt:

Now, he did get to meet Hogan, and they spent two hours talking, in this case meeting one's hero was not a bad thing at all!

Ben Hogan, a "TRUE" gentlemen.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just posted a story with Gunnar Mueller and Hogan, now things get weird.

The other day I saw an ad for an "old Hogan set", turns out it was a full set of -73 Apex frosted back irons, sold by its original owner. He claims it was the first Hogan set ever sold in Sweden (as you probably know Slazenger sold Ben Hogan clubs in Europe in the 50-60s), and that the same Gunnar Mueller as in my story above once told him that "never ever sell those clubs!". Well, many years later he did, so now I own this set :-).

The story of it being the first set sold in Sweden may actually be true, the seller bought it from a hardware store that for some reason had gotten a set of golf clubs, this was late -74 early -75. However, it seems that the official sale start of original Hogans didn't happen until a year later, since I've found an ad from early -76 saying "Ben Hogan Original clubs now available in Sweden!".

2-E (Apex 3 shafts), Special-PW and Special Sand Iron, with 2-9 having original leather grips (which will restore nicely) and matching serial. Quite a bit of notching on the soles and leading edges, but otherwise fine condition, except for the Sand Iron, which actually has the lowest groove fused with the rest of the face! Looks like he used this one as a hammer. :-)

I'm curious about the Special-PW, judging from the lack of bounce it may be designed for shots from very tight lies... any details about that club?

I also got two later Hogan wedges thrown into the deal, any info on those? Perhaps early 90s? Also, notice that the paint in the Ben Hogan signature on these is pretty much gone, but on the 20 year older clubs it's almost perfect.

I tried them on the range today, comparing them with my 88 Redlines. Longer irons were playing quite nice, keeping up with the Redlines, but the shorter ones feels like they need to have loft and lie checked, I suspect their lofts now are not where they ought to be after 40+ years.

JrG9gaA.jpg

pfLmKvC.jpg

UKZibWf.jpg?1

Fused SI and the Special PW

S8kkxtf.jpg?1

The two newer wedges

igJ6CQB.jpg?1

And finally the 1976 ad

HgObjmC.jpg

• 1 month later...

A couple others in my collection. A beautiful Apex Speed Slot model, 4 screw black insert with a really nice light wood stain. The second is a Hogan Precision model with diamond screw pattern and a cool reddish brown stain.

Both of these have wonderful U grain! Enjoy!

CC

don't know where to post HAVE HOGAN PERSIMMON DRIVER WITH APEX4 AND BACK WEIGHTED LIKE OLD POWERBILTS. ANY INFO//

A couple others in my collection. A beautiful Apex Speed Slot model, 4 screw black insert with a really nice light wood stain. The second is a Hogan Precision model with diamond screw pattern and a cool reddish brown stain.

Both of these have wonderful U grain! Enjoy!

CC

don't know where to post HAVE HOGAN PERSIMMON DRIVER WITH APEX4 AND BACK WEIGHTED LIKE OLD POWERBILTS. ANY INFO//

• 1 year later...

Looks like three Pings in the middle.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Isn't that the 1988-92 style driver á la Tom Kite at Pebble Beach, to match the Redlines/forged underlines?

I imagine that is a very high quality piece of persimmon, though.

I don't know. I never saw a Hogan like it so am happy to be guided. Actually I only saw one with a 'firing pin' insert and that was shown by Canadian Crippler on a thread from 2/3 years ago. The suggestion seemed to be that the serial number with an 'S' prefix was a special order. I have no idea if that was true.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.golfwrx.c...rsimmon-driver/

I'm going off the matching sole-plate for era

Ah, the legendary Mr Strutt.

Thanks, I think it is a 1992 club based on the below posted on Facebook by GeoGolfx.

Footnote: it's arrived and is even better than I thought.

It's the 11 degree Standard version, it doesn't look like it's been hit, ever.

Too good to use, by me at any rate.

This 1992 Hogan Apex Driver arrived this morning. It's the 11 degree, Standard model, smaller and lower profile than I'm used to in vintage gear. Note, no 'Speed Slot' and an unusual Firing Pin insert. I read somewhere that these were made for Hogan by Louisville Golf.

There are two problems for me, first is that it's near mint, any flaws are shop soiling and will polish out, so it's too good to play, and second, I'm not confident I can manage Apex 4 shafts.

So, here you are for your enjoyment, a less than common driver. And if anyone can explain the 'S' designation on the serial number, I should be grateful.

I have the same sole plate and similar serial number (P instead of S, end in 042) on a 1-3-5 set of Hogan Persimmons, also without the speed slot. Different insert and obviously different color on mine too. They match up with a set of 88-89 Redline irons

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Mine are not deep faced. I honestly don't know if these were made by Louisville or not. It definitely was near the end of their persimmon wood era and that's when Louisville started making their woods. Within a year or two of these coming out, Hogan had switched to the Series 56 metal woods. They play very nice. It's difficult for me to find a modern ball that spins enough to elevate with the driver. But the 3 wood and 5 wood are great.

By the way, they very well could be same year and model as yours. It was common for manufacturers to put a lighter stain on their best looking pieces of wood and mine have a really nice grain. If a head had a small knot or other less appealing quality, they got a darker stain. Not to say that there is anything wrong with either one. I actually think some of the darker ones have more character and were probably harder and more durable.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Mine are not deep faced. I honestly don't know if these were made by Louisville or not. It definitely was near the end of their persimmon wood era and that's when Louisville started making their woods. Within a year or two of these coming out, Hogan had switched to the Series 56 metal woods. They play very nice. It's difficult for me to find a modern ball that spins enough to elevate with the driver. But the 3 wood and 5 wood are great.

By the way, they very well could be same year and model as yours. It was common for manufacturers to put a lighter stain on their best looking pieces of wood and mine have a really nice grain. If a head had a small knot or other less appealing quality, they got a darker stain. Not to say that there is anything wrong with either one. I actually think some of the darker ones have more character and were probably harder and more durable.

I think mine is from a production run with these colours and insert. The timber doesn't look as if there is any carbon in it. A few people in the late persimmon era did the firing pin insert. My favorite Joe Powell is a blonde with a firing pin. It also has a mock hickory stiff graphite shaft which gets plenty of comment, plays at around 8 or 9 degrees of loft.

FWIW I have never gone near a launch monitor so I don't know about my angles ?? etc, but I seem to hit all my drivers ok so perhaps I have an upward angle of attack or whatever. The 'upshot' of it is that I can still enjoy whacking old school woods without giving it a whole lot of thought about golf balls etc. One thing I tried doing was to have the ball off my left instep and the club in the centre of my feet at address. It was a bit un-nerving but seemed to produce good straight high ball results.

I think mine is from a production run with these colours and insert. The timber doesn't look as if there is any carbon in it. A few people in the late persimmon era did the firing pin insert. My favorite Joe Powell is a blonde with a firing pin. It also has a mock hickory stiff graphite shaft which gets plenty of comment, plays at around 8 or 9 degrees of loft.

FWIW I have never gone near a launch monitor so I don't know about my angles ?? etc, but I seem to hit all my drivers ok so perhaps I have an upward angle of attack or whatever. The 'upshot' of it is that I can still enjoy whacking old school woods without giving it a whole lot of thought about golf balls etc. One thing I tried doing was to have the ball off my left instep and the club in the centre of my feet at address. It was a bit un-nerving but seemed to produce good straight high ball results.

a la Moe Norman

a la Moe Norman

Really! Well, if it's good enough for Moe..... :)

As an aside, I once went to Quebec and had dinner at the GC there with my host and 3 other French Canadians who knew and had played golf with Moe. My French is OK but Quebec French is something else so I didn't get as much of the conversation as I would have liked. I didn't realise when I went there(working for 2 weeks) that about half of Quebecois don't have any English!

• 3 months later...

I need some help from the hogan experts. I have been looking for a set of persimmon woods and found a set with a six screw driver in it for pretty cheap. It also has ten lines on the face. Here is an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEN-HOGAN-SPPED-SLOT-PERSIMMON-WOOD-DRIVER-WITH-APEX-3-STEEL-SHAFT/362644195218?hash=item546f474792:g:oPwAAOSwv9pc07-V:sc:USPSPriority!99026!US!-1

My question is are all six screws deep face?

Thanks, Spok1

• 4 years later...

I played College golf for southern Ca. community college back in the early 80’s. One of my teammates who was our best player for my first year and was good friend, finished high, don’t remember exactly what place in the State CC tournament that year. So he had this new Ben Hogan driver our 2nd year the  1984 season, and he was killing it, long and very straight, it had a brown finish but have unable to find one anywhere. He broke that driver 2/3’s into the season and was never quite the same player again, the driver was a major factor. Edit: I found it, it was a 1953 Ben Hogan commemorative driver. His brother played on the PGA tour and won.

Edited by spuds26