2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Starting/Running A Golf League....help please!

Hey everyone,

I could really use some help and insight here. I have started and will be running a golf league for our church this late spring.

Looking forward to it all as it should be fun but I need some help. I have done tons with leagues before from the other side of the counter (working at golf courses) but never from player/league standpoint. So a few questions to start out with and if anyone wants to add to it I am open to it as well.

-Are there any free online league mngt software out there? If so which ones have you used and found easy to use?

-We are going to have it be 2 man teams handicapped like a "normal" league would be. How do you get people to start with a handicap when so many golfers do not have an established one?

-Other than time limits on tee times should I cap the league or keep it at a certain number to make it easier week to week? i.e. a divisible by 4 number...12, 16, 20, 24....

-What other things should I make sure to account for?

I am sure to get some comedic responses too but I really would appreciate any insight you all can give!

Thanks!

[u]Current Set Up:[/u]
TaylorMade Sim2 Max w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 
Cleveland Zip Core 50*

Cleveland Zip Core 56*

Cleveland Zip Core 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, get the dues up front, this will assure participation. Ours are $125 if paid before 2nd round, $150 if paid before or after 3rd.

Have the boys give you estimated handicaps, or ask what they usually shoot, then adjust after playing a few rounds.

Also, lots of subs turn into members, so keep their handicap as well.

We have 4 flights in our league, so skins are more equitable.

To keep dues down, we have mandatory skins, $10 per week, with $3 going to the league, with 40+ guys it allows much more breathing room than relying on dues alone.

Have both teams keep and attest each others scores, and decide now on gimmes and ball rolling, and make the policy clear to all.

Elect/appoint a president, treasurer and scorekeeper. The treasurer and scorekeeper should enjoy discount dues for their work, the president is usually just the figurehead. All his "official" duties on our league is to settle disputes.

The funds should be fully transparent.

Have fun!

X________________________________ Sign Here

Make sure you have all scenarios and rules in place. Most start up leagues don't consider all the variances and factors that can arise. Make sure you have everything in writing. I hunk it would be a great idea to have a two or three person committee that helps you, this way it's not all on you, other people can have a say.

First, get the dues up front, this will assure participation. Ours are $125 if paid before 2nd round, $150 if paid before or after 3rd.

Have the boys give you estimated handicaps, or ask what they usually shoot, then adjust after playing a few rounds.

Also, lots of subs turn into members, so keep their handicap as well.

We have 4 flights in our league, so skins are more equitable.

To keep dues down, we have mandatory skins, $10 per week, with $3 going to the league, with 40+ guys it allows much more breathing room than relying on dues alone.

Have both teams keep and attest each others scores, and decide now on gimmes and ball rolling, and make the policy clear to all.

Elect/appoint a president, treasurer and scorekeeper. The treasurer and scorekeeper should enjoy discount dues for their work, the president is usually just the figurehead. All his "official" duties on our league is to settle disputes.

The funds should be fully transparent.

Have fun!

That is super helpful! Thanks!

Make sure you have all scenarios and rules in place. Most start up leagues don't consider all the variances and factors that can arise. Make sure you have everything in writing. I hunk it would be a great idea to have a two or three person committee that helps you, this way it's not all on you, other people can have a say.

Just curious when you say "variances" what sort of things are you talking about? Ties? Playoffs?

Cleveland Zip Core 50*

Cleveland Zip Core 56*

Cleveland Zip Core 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

Get dues up front!

Our league uses an arbitrary 80% formula of your gross score over par. Shoot 50 which is 15 over, you get .80 X 15 for a handicap of 12 for that round (which means the actual adjustments have to be done post-round). That is only if no handicap/until one is established. Arbitrary but not that bad in practice.

Remember not to miss the first organizational meeting next year. Standing rule for years around here was if you miss the first meeting in the Spring you are 99% likely to get elected "President" of the league, believe me, even though it's church, you may come to know what I mean. Then again you may have a blessed experience and want to shepherd the league every year.

May have to cap teams, are you doing 9 or 18, shotgun or tee times? Don't need to answer just think about it. Either way you'll probably have a limit and you will want even numbers, unless a team will have a bye every week and you adjust for that.

Can have folks throw in $1 for skins, maybe $1 in a box for a couple of pin prizes and pay out each week. Have some payout at the end from the total league dues.

We play for points. Each team has A and B players. A plays A, B plays B (based on handicap). Although it's stroke play, each hole is worth one point for net and also one point for net total for a total of 10 points in each individual match/20 overall in play each week. Tie means 1/2 point.

Get dues up front!

Our league uses an arbitrary 80% formula of your gross score over par. Shoot 50 which is 15 over, you get .80 X 15 for a handicap of 12 for that round (which means the actual adjustments have to be done post-round). That is only if no handicap/until one is established. Arbitrary but not that bad in practice.

Remember not to miss the first organizational meeting next year. Standing rule for years around here was if you miss the first meeting in the Spring you are 99% likely to get elected "President" of the league, believe me, even though it's church, you may come to know what I mean. Then again you may have a blessed experience and want to shepherd the league every year.

May have to cap teams, are you doing 9 or 18, shotgun or tee times? Don't need to answer just think about it. Either way you'll probably have a limit and you will want even numbers, unless a team will have a bye every week and you adjust for that.

Can have folks throw in $1 for skins, maybe $1 in a box for a couple of pin prizes and pay out each week. Have some payout at the end from the total league dues.

We play for points. Each team has A and B players. A plays A, B plays B (based on handicap). Although it's stroke play, each hole is worth one point for net and also one point for net total for a total of 10 points in each individual match/20 overall in play each week. Tie means 1/2 point.

Thanks for that. Definitely will take those things into consideration!

Cleveland Zip Core 50*

Cleveland Zip Core 56*

Cleveland Zip Core 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

In one league I play they use 13 as a starting point for anyone that does not have a handicap. If they want to have a more accurate handicap before league starts then they need to get out and play some rounds. As they play league rounds their handicap eventually adjusts.

That's an interesting method. Are there any low handicappers that rake up those first few weeks in spite of that?

Cleveland Zip Core 50*

Cleveland Zip Core 56*

Cleveland Zip Core 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

In one league I play they use 13 as a starting point for anyone that does not have a handicap. If they want to have a more accurate handicap before league starts then they need to get out and play some rounds. As they play league rounds their handicap eventually adjusts.

That's an interesting method. Are there any low handicappers that rake up those first few weeks in spite of that?

Not in my limited experience with that league. I am sure it happens. IMO if it would happen there should be an adjustment after their first league round.

I ran a "league" where we scored Stableford....whether you wanted to give a point for par, bogey, whatever...that is up to you.

But we did limit a 1st time player to no more than +/- one point their first week, and adjusted every week based upon their points scored for that week.

It was a pretty simple and straight-forward system that was easy to keep up with, and I posted everyone's points in an online posting, so that you could easily see where everybody stood, and also where they started and progressed through the season's play.

Hope that this made sense to you.

Stableford also helps to speed up play, as you can pick-up after you reach a certain score, and not have to finish a hole, and it doesn't affect your points.