2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Great Advice last time so asking again for the next trip to Bay Area

jpdx

Last time I asked, Calippe Preserve was suggested and I got a round in. LOVED IT! WRXers always know where to get the best value courses!

This time I'm staying in Burlingame and wanted to try some other courses. I searched and found most threads that related to Burlingame or that area were at least a year old if not older.

SO!

I'm hoping to get some advice on where to play my rounds next visit. It'll be end of June. Will be travelling with wife, cousin, and her kids (16 and 18). We're going to get in a Giants game and hopefully visit French Laundry if we can get a reservation there. Should be a good trip especially if I can get a couple rounds in. Since the wife will be going, it'd be optimal to find a course close to Burlingame or close to outlet malls/some other place they could spend some time while I golf.

I'd play Callippe again, but I'd love to play another course. I read Wente, Poppy Ridge would be close to the outlet mall and potentially good choices. Looking at google I'd consider Las Positas, Dublin Ranch, Poplar Creek, Moffett (might be interesting to play in the shadow of the hanger...but it might be just a novelty thing).

If there anything in the city or close to Burlingame I should consider? If you could choose two which two would it be? Does crossing from Burlingame to the other side have tolls if we don't go down and around?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skip Poplar Creek, Crystal Springs and Moffett. Moffett is a terrible course for a first timer and the other two might work for a late afternoon round or so but wouldn't waste a few precious days there. Drop the wife and kids off at the outlet shopping mall in Livermore then go play Wente or Poppy Ridge. The bridge toll is $5-8 depending on bridge and time/day.

If you can get in on one of the private courses on the peninsula that is obviously a great choice but if not you have both Harding Park and Half Moon Bay as great options within a 30 minute drive.

You could play The Presido in San Francisco and let your wife spend the day shopping at Union Square, lots of high end stores!. Depending on traffic it can take more than 30 minutes from Union Square to the Presido. I like both Wente and Poppy Ridge and then your wife could shop at the San Francisco Outlets in Livermore. They have lots of stores including stores like Prada, Jimmy Choo, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Off 5th, Burbery, Ferragamo, etc.

If you know someone you could play Stanford Golf Course and your wife could shop at Stanford Shopping Center.

As far as the French Laundry goes they are now taking reservations 3 months in advance but you have to pre-pay.

Since you're staying in Burligame have breakfast or lunch at Copenhagen Bakery & Cafe, you won't be sorry.

You could play The Presido in San Francisco and let your wife spend the day shopping at Union Square, lots of high end stores!. Depending on traffic it can take more than 30 minutes from Union Square to the Presido. I like both Wente and Poppy Ridge and then your wife could shop at the San Francisco Outlets in Livermore. They have lots of stores including stores like Prada, Jimmy Choo, Neiman Marcus Last Call, Off 5th, Burbery, Ferragamo, etc.

If you know someone you could play Stanford Golf Course and your wife could shop at Stanford Shopping Center.

As far as the French Laundry goes they are now taking reservations 3 months in advance but you have to pre-pay.

Since you're staying in Burligame have breakfast or lunch at Copenhagen Bakery & Cafe, you won't be sorry.

If you can't get in to The French Laundry, San Francisco has three Michelin 3 star restaurants, BENU, Saison and Quince

I've played the Ocean course at Half Moon Bay, Las Positas & Wente Vineyards. Wente is fun, Las Positas is okay but on a flat piece of land. Half Moon Bay is overpriced & cramped.

If you've got the $ to go to Yountville for an expensive meal, consider playing Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz.

I had actually looked pasatiempo up and knowing the reputation I thought about it. I'm not trying to spend so much time in a car this vacation. went to Vegas a few weeks back (start of march madness) visited Grand Canyon and on the way back stuck in stand still traffic due to accident for 2 hours. Missed a tee time at Paiute. What should've taken a 3-4 hrs took almost 7. Didn't golf at all that Vegas trip. Not taking a chance on traffic this time.

If you can't get in to The French Laundry, San Francisco has three Michelin 3 star restaurants, BENU, Saison and Quince

No French laundry. Got on in the morning everyday hoping to get it by unfortunately struck out 90 days in advance. I'll check out the menus for BENU, Saison and Quince. I assume not as high demand? And will put Copenhagen bakery and cafe on the list!

Presidio! I didn't think of that one. Thanks!

I'm guessing that if you are staying in Burlingame, it's on the Bayshore with all the hotels.

With the in mind, you have a lot of options. Harding Park is less than a 20 minute drive, but you are paying top dollar there. Your family could go to Stonestown Mall (nothing special in the way of stores), the SF Zoo, Ocean Beach, and Golden Gate Park.

If you played Presidio, they could head down to Union Street and the Marina. The shopping there is a bit more boutique, but a good spot to spend the day.

For the quick afternoon pickup round, don't sell Crystal Springs short. It gets windy come the afternoon, but a close track that will test your ability to hit off some really uneven lies.

The closes course from you on the East Bay would be Monarch Bay and Metropolitan. To give you an idea, we leave the Burlingame around 7:45am for a 9:00am tee time, and get back around 2:30pm (add $5 for the San Mateo Bridge toll).

And to the south you have the Gilroy Outlets and places like Coyote Creek, Eagle Ridge, and Cinnabar. This would definitely be an entire day affair, but the outlets would keep them VERY busy.

No French laundry. Got on in the morning everyday hoping to get it by unfortunately struck out 90 days in advance. I'll check out the menus for BENU, Saison and Quince. I assume not as high demand? And will put Copenhagen bakery and cafe on the list!

Still a super high demand for all 3. If I had to pick from the the 3 listed I'd pick Benu over the other two. Saison is insanely expensive (over $1,000 for 2 people before wine) and I've heard mixed reviews about Quince. I'd also recommend some other places:

Gary Danko: Great food and you will actually get full from your meal

Lazy Bear: Communal Style seating, good food and drinks

La Folie: Nice little French place

Atelier Crenn: Another great place

I wouldn't feel too bad about missing on French Laundry. Everyone I know who's eaten there left hungry and with a lot lighter wallet. If you are going to be in the area though I'd highly recommend getting some pastries from Bouchon and then going over to Keller's less formal place Ad Hoc. If you are at Ad Hoc on the weekends they sell their Fried Chicken (the best I've ever had) in the back parking lot.

Still a super high demand for all 3. If I had to pick from the the 3 listed I'd pick Benu over the other two. Saison is insanely expensive (over $1,000 for 2 people before wine) and I've heard mixed reviews about Quince. I'd also recommend some other places:

I wouldn't feel too bad about missing on French Laundry. Everyone I know who's eaten there left hungry and with a lot lighter wallet. If you are going to be in the area though I'd highly recommend getting some pastries from Bouchon and then going over to Keller's less formal place Ad Hoc. If you are at Ad Hoc on the weekends they sell their Fried Chicken (the best I've ever had) in the back parking lot.

Really good suggestions and personally I like Atelier Crenn and Gary Danko

I think Saison will be a bit out of the price range. Although I guess not by much, but that extra $160 for a couple is a bottle of wine or a few drinks at least...

Been to a Thomas Keller's Bouchon in Vegas a couple times. Definitely tasty. Ad Hoc I think is the backup in Napa (I know, very different from FL) and I heard about the Fried Chicken there but don't know anyone that's had it. In Portland we have Screen Door which has been praised for their fried chicken.

Thank you for the other recommendations too. We're always looking for a good restaurant when we travel.

Little did I know that asking for golf course rec's would turn this into a restaurant rec list! LOL love it. Thanks for all the suggestions (both course and restaurants)

Bouchon in Younteville is pretty good and his bakery his next door. Ad Hoc is really popular and it originally was supposed to be his burger restaurant but Ad Hoc got so popular that obviously it's not a burger place.

My wife and I are foodies and we like really good food so we don't mind spending the money at fine dining restaurants as long as the food and service is really good. When you're in Vegas there's so many really good restaurants that it's confusing at times. During the Christmas season in Vegas we like Le Cirque at the Bellagio as they're one of the few restaurants that offer Alba White Truffles which are the most expensive truffles in the world. This year we found a restaurant in Palo Alto not too far from where we live that offers the Alba White Truffles during the Holiday season, so we didn't spend the Holiday's in Vegas last year.

If you go to Half Moon play the Old Course - the Ocean course is average at best and the views aren't as great as the name would suggest. Harding is ok but not worth the cash plus walking only (you can take a cart but it's path only). The Presidio is actually a good golf course and would be worth checking out. Cool views of the city from some of the holes and it's literally a mile or two from the GG bridge.

Also, with all due respect IMO Boulevard is overpriced and overrated. Quince is $$$$$$ but has a great wine list. Tyler Florence's place, Wayfare Tavern, is actually decent and not crazy expensive. Has a British Pub feel and the food is excellent. The Napa stuff is going to be crowded and really expensive in June.

• 3 months later...

Ended up eating at atelier creen. AMAZING! Really enjoyed the food thanks for the suggestion!!! Ended up at crystal spring just based on distance and amount of time I had to golf. It was actually pretty good for the price I paid. I enjoyed the time with a golfwrx member. Thanks for accompanying me. It was a good time sir!

Thanks for all the replays.

Ended up eating at atelier creen. AMAZING! Really enjoyed the food thanks for the suggestion!!! Ended up at crystal spring just based on distance and amount of time I had to golf. It was actually pretty good for the price I paid. I enjoyed the time with a golfwrx member. Thanks for accompanying me. It was a good time sir!

Thanks for all the replays.

Thanks for the report! I'm playing Crystal Springs on Sunday. Haven't been back in a few years. Used to take lessons with Zach there.

• 3 weeks later...

Skip los positas. Skip Dublin ranch, it's a par 63. I would do Wente. Poppy Ridge is good.

Not a great course, but 18 (a par 6) at Chabot is cool. Not many of those around. Tilden is cool cause it's parkland and in nature, but the layout and conditions are average.

Boundry Oaks used to be good, but it's been many years, so not sure.

I like HMB ocean, but have not played the other.

Go eat at Scomas in Sausalito...