2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Thoughts on Couch Potatoes Calling in Penalties

whr

Fact - Whoever says they would have thrown the playoff is a liar.

Ryu won fair and square. Unfortunately for Lexi by some bizarre circumstances she was caught cheating. Lexi's misfortunes have nothing to do with Ryu winning.

Strong words for such a little lady. And how ignorant. Her winning has everything to do with Lexis misfortune. She wouldn't have sniffed the win without it. 4 shots shy to be exact.

You have no idea how nuts I can be.

Ok this is a bit strange. Anyway, Lexi would have not have incurred the penalty had she not replaced her ball in the wrong place. Her actions caused the penalty. Just the same as somebody's action can cause additional strokes in many other ways. Ryu played and won the tournament and in no way caused Lexi's penalty. Lexi did. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that it should have been called on her by some random emailing in and especially not 24 hours later. But that still does not change the fact that she cheated little lady. No doubt about it.

And if your are sad that you want everybody to believe you would lose a major by throwing a playoff because you feel bad for your competitor I'm sorry. That is stupid.

do yo Ihave any intelligent comments. Or just trolling insults ? I've been called a liar and now stupid by someone who is obviously trolling made up allegations . Absolutely false. No cheating occurred. If so she would have been DQed. Ignorant doesn't begin to describe it. Saying something 100 times will not make it true.

Pretty obvious you've never played a competitive round. 100% precise marks 100% of the time do not exist. Cheating. Wow. That's a bridge too far.

It was a hell of a lot more than not precise. But you a right. I'm sorry. I'm just an ignorant little lady. I'll let you get back to your competitive rounds.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryu won fair and square. Unfortunately for Lexi by some bizarre circumstances she was caught cheating. Lexi's misfortunes have nothing to do with Ryu winning.

Strong words for such a little lady. And how ignorant. Her winning has everything to do with Lexis misfortune. She wouldn't have sniffed the win without it. 4 shots shy to be exact.

Ok this is a bit strange. Anyway, Lexi would have not have incurred the penalty had she not replaced her ball in the wrong place. Her actions caused the penalty. Just the same as somebody's action can cause additional strokes in many other ways. Ryu played and won the tournament and in no way caused Lexi's penalty. Lexi did. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that it should have been called on her by some random emailing in and especially not 24 hours later. But that still does not change the fact that she cheated little lady. No doubt about it.

And if your are sad that you want everybody to believe you would lose a major by throwing a playoff because you feel bad for your competitor I'm sorry. That is stupid.

Who's arguing that she should not have received a penalty for putting the ball in the wrong spot? That warrants a 2 stroke penalty based on the current rules. The timing is the issue.

However, calling her a cheater based on that grainy zoomed in video??? Bro, I just don't get the axe you have to grind, nor your efforts to defame Lexi. Every point you listed trying to back up your assertion are pure speculation at best. Your better than that (or not).

You think she moved the ball purposely? It's possible. I did see a penalty incurred by an Asian female player a few years ago, though she wasn't in contention to win. She grossly moved her ball from one side of the coin to the total other side of the coin. I've never done anything like that on a green, though if in the fairway and not playing a tournament I will take a preferred lie not closer to the hole.

Again I am not trying to start any sort of war of words but I do believe she moved her ball on purpose. It's her job to know how to play golf and she screws up a simple ball mark? I am in total agreement however that the penalty should have never been called in the first place the way that it was called. I know I'm not the only one that thinks so. Thanks for the rational convo.

Who's arguing that she should have received a penalty for putting the ball in the wrong spot? That warrants a 2 stroke penalty based on the current rules. The timing is the issue.

However, calling her a cheater based on that grainy zoomed in video??? Bro, I just don't get the axe you have to grind, nor your efforts to defame Lexi. Every point you listed trying to back up your assertion are pure speculation at best. Your better than that (or not).

Exactly my thoughts.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Who's arguing that she should not have received a penalty for putting the ball in the wrong spot? That warrants a 2 stroke penalty based on the current rules. The timing is the issue.

Yes I said that it is all speculation/opinion about what lexi's intentions were. Only she knows that bro. I'm certainly not the only one speculating here though.

OK NOW WE ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND. Everyone calm down. The ANA is over, Ryu won, Lexi messed up. Period. Everyone has an opinion about it. No need for insults or bashing. Can't we all just get along?

Haha! Yes, I concede that I could very well be wrong. I actually hope I am because I'm a fan of hers. Sorry for the fluster

OK NOW WE ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND. Everyone calm down. The ANA is over, Ryu won, Lexi messed up. Period. Everyone has an opinion about it. No need for insults or bashing. Can't we all just get along?

Haha! Yes, I concede that I could very well be wrong. I actually hope I am because I'm a fan of hers. Sorry for the fluster

Then you're the first person I've seen who's a fan of someone they are trying to defame. Weird, but to each their own.

NP, we're good. I never try to be condescending or insulting. But when reading someone's typed words we all can throw our own emotions into them and take away what we may think is an insult. It's all good. Lexi messed up. Period. She should have marked her ball properly. I can also bet my life she'll never do that again. Though I must say my last statement(OK NOW WE ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND) was not meant for you. There are some heated back and forth a here and that is unfortunate.

NP, we're good. I never try to be condescending or insulting. But when reading someone's typed words we all can throw our own emotions into them and take away what we may think is an insult. It's all good. Lexi messed up. Period. She should have marked her ball properly. I can also bet my life she'll never do that again. Though I must say my last statement(OK NOW WE ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND) was not meant for you. There are some heated back and forth a here and that is unfortunate.

It's a forum bro, people are going to disagree. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen....or so the saying goes.

It is interesting, however, that you're willing to take issue with "heated" back and forth exchanges, but take no issue with someone's effort to defame a player by calling them a cheater. That's unfortunate.

giphy.gif

It's a forum bro, people are going to disagree. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen....or so the saying goes.

It is interesting, however, that you're willing to take issue with "heated" back and forth exchanges, but take no issue with someone's effort to defame a player by calling them a cheater. That's unfortunate.

Is what is said here going to cause Lexi a bad rap in her peers eyes? I don't think so. Is she a cheater? I doubt it. Did she screw up? For sure. Does the person who said she's a cheater deserve to be chastised for their opinion? Probably not. I'm not here to argue or get all huffed up about things said. It's just a conversation amongst fellow golfers who more likely than not have little else in common. It's just someones opinion, I'm not condoning it nor condemning it. We surly aren't going to have an effect of any pro golfers life or professional status by what is said here.

I would like to add that if anyone I know ever admits to calling/e-mailing/texting in a penalty on someone to a major professional tour I will punch them in d!ck as hard as I can and never speak with them again.

id like that twice if i could....

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I would like to add that if anyone I know ever admits to calling/e-mailing/texting in a penalty on someone to a major professional tour I will punch them in d!ck as hard as I can and never speak with them again.
Personally I would rather punch someone in the face than their peter. I'm not all into touching someone's peter. Regardless. ROTFLMAO

Is what is said here going to cause Lexi a bad rap in her peers eyes? I don't think so. Is she a cheater? I doubt it. Did she screw up? For sure. Does the person who said she's a cheater deserve to be chastised for their opinion? Probably not. I'm not here to argue or get all huffed up about things said. It's just a conversation amongst fellow golfers who more likely than not have little else in common. It's just someones opinion, I'm not condoning it nor condemning it. We surly aren't going to have an effect of any pro golfers life or professional status by what is said here.

Opinions, no. Beliefs, sure.

What a lot of reactions. A lot has been said about the situation as such. About her moving the ball deliberately and so. Kind of uninteresting in regard of the thread title. There is also relevant comments about how to make the couch potato ruling go away. I'm leaning towards the idea of having rules officials watching video footage on-line in some way. It gets ridiculous when people e-mail long after. Seems like there are little rule nerds all over the place slow-motioning their way through the TV coverage afterwords in search of millimeters to give them 15 minutes of fame. Guess the guy laughed when Lexi cried.

What a lot of reactions. A lot has been said about the situation as such. About her moving the ball deliberately and so. Kind of uninteresting in regard of the thread title. There is also relevant comments about how to make the couch potato ruling go away. I'm leaning towards the idea of having rules officials watching video footage on-line in some way. It gets ridiculous when people e-mail long after. Seems like there are little rule nerds all over the place slow-motioning their way through the TV coverage afterwords in search of millimeters to give them 15 minutes of fame. Guess the guy laughed when Lexi cried.

Some easy ways to limit it IMO:

~ Don't acknowledge calls/emails once the next round starts.

~ Tours make a local rule to ignore the 2 stroke penalty on after the fact penalties for called in penalties.

~ Don't publish it, but the rules committee can decide that only if you can determine watching unzoomed footage in real time that a rule was broken that you will apply the penalty. Thinking more the DJ situation and Anna N last your. Took really slow mo, zoomed in footage to know it happened. If you can't see it in real time like the players did, then there should be no penalty.

~ Question the caller or emailer!! How did you see it? Why did you notice it? Did you watch multiple times to come to your conclusion? Did you notice it right away in real time or on replay? How those questions get answered should determine the intent of the whistle blower.

~The easy of easy one to me: There's a rumor this was an official from another tour. Ignore their calls!!! They clearly know what the result will be of calling in, especially if they call in late. That means if this rumor is true, that person called in knowing full and well the impact of what they were doing.

Oh and your last sentence:

Wouldn't shock me if that's is the case. Some of these people are sick in that way. After working at a club that hosted a USWO and hearing about their stalkers and crazies, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a stalker of someone behind Lexi that didn't want Lexi to win and was looking for infractions.

~ Tours make a local rule to ignore the 2 stroke penalty on after the fact penalties for called in penalties.

~ Don't publish it, but the rules committee can decide that only if you can determine watching unzoomed footage in real time that a rule was broken that you will apply the penalty. Thinking more the DJ situation and Anna N last your. Took really slow mo, zoomed in footage to know it happened. If you can't see it in real time like the players did, then there should be no penalty.

~ Question the caller or emailer!! How did you see it? Why did you notice it? Did you watch multiple times to come to your conclusion? Did you notice it right away in real time or on replay? How those questions get answered should determine the intent of the whistle blower.

~The easy of easy one to me: There's a rumor this was an official from another tour. Ignore their calls!!! They clearly know what the result will be of calling in, especially if they call in late. That means if this rumor is true, that person called in knowing full and well the impact of what they were doing.

Wouldn't shock me if that's is the case. Some of these people are sick in that way. After working at a club that hosted a USWO and hearing about their stalkers and crazies, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a stalker of someone behind Lexi that didn't want Lexi to win and was looking for infractions.

In what way does the intent of the caller change the fact that a rule was broken?

You can see it in the unzoomed footage. In the close up footage you can see that the ball was moved almost the width of the ball.

In what way does the intent of the caller change the fact that a rule was broken?

You can see it in the unzoomed footage. In the close up footage you can see that the ball was moved almost the width of the ball.

I was replying to the poster I quoted in how do you limit it in general. Not just this singular situation.

Not even close to the width of the ball. The video I saw explained by a rules official, dropped an electronic marker on the ball, and the replacement is about 1/3 off. Doesn't account for camera movement either which could make it look worse.

What if the violation occurred on Friday with, say Lexi, making the cut on the number. Next day someone calls in a violation and a retroactive four shot penalty is applied. This would technically put her outside the cut line. It could also have the effect that certain players didn't make the cut who otherwise may have made it if the penalty was assessed on Friday.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

The Ringer (bill Simmons website) wrote about how dumb this whole process is in golf with viewer reviews and after the fact score changes. I don't believe theyve ever written an article about golf before. What happened is a black eye for the sport, and as the article mentioned a 3rd one in a major event in the last year. What were seeing in golf is unprecedented and the implications of guys at home scanning over replays in high Def to see if a ball moved a fraction of a millimetre are probably our future.

Officials miss calls in basketball, football. Etc. Just let them miss a call sometimes.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Because picking up a phone or sending an email is on the same scale as punching someone in the crotch.

Freaking classy. What a tough guy - and so witty.

Advocating violence for this? Really?

We are, as a species, screwed

And if I were Lexi I would fire my shot OB as well, because I wouldn't want to win like that either

Imagine the two ladies exchanging OB shots out of protest. What a laugh riot!

You guys are nuts and I 100% call bs that you would throw away a Major unprofessionally like that. No offense to anyone but that's absurd

Believe it or not, I do it. I can't see any joy in winning under those circumstances. It was awkward, the whole thing, the champagne, the water jump... Ryu's mother was happy, but it was clear no one really knew how they should act, including Ryu, her caddy, other players, spectators... What does winning a major matter if you are unable to enjoy the accomplishment.. I personally would be unable to enjoy that accomplishment. I would however enjoy the hell out of all the new money and attention I would be getting as a result of firing one off, and no, I don't think Lexi would fire one OB too.

What makes you think that Lexi would want to win like that? What kind of extra money does throwing a Major get you?

No I don't believe you, sorry.

Obviously you still believe the point of being a professional golfer is about winning... I have a much different take on it... I think it's one big commercial. Distinguish yourself... In a sea of seemingly emotionless, personality less, Korean robots on the LPGA tour this would have been a way to break away.

And how do you make money off of throwing the Major? Attention is money, personality is money, guts, emotion, even carelessness is money. Branding. Ryu did nothing wrong, but yet she's in the news for the wrong reason. Lexi lost, but she'll get way more mileage out of this than Ryu will.

I guess I'm the rare type of guy who doesn't care about trophy's, or making history... It's a job, it's a living... It's about making money... And if you can be unique enough during you're brief time in the spotlight, maybe you can build a brand that will be meaningful and profitable for years after.

How is that working out for Brian Davis, who very honorably might I add, called a penalty on himself ruining his chances at his first PGA Tour win.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip