MEMBER REVIEWS: Aldila X-Torsion Copper Shafts.

HipCheck

Forgive me for not reading through everything here, but would one consider the copper a "smooth" profile or is it more on the "boardy" side?

I personally like to feel where the head is in my swing, so a smooth profile tends to fit me better.

Stable over than boardy. It is counterbalance, so some weight might need to be added to the head.

If you don't like the sound of that then maybe the green same profile but not counterbalanced.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me for not reading through everything here, but would one consider the copper a "smooth" profile or is it more on the "boardy" side?

I personally like to feel where the head is in my swing, so a smooth profile tends to fit me better.

easily one of the smoother shafts i've hit in some time while still being incredibly stable. it can handle some aggression as well as finesse.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Stale over than boardy. It is counterbalance, so some weight might need to be added to the head.

If you don't like the sound of that then maybe the green same profile but not counterbalanced.

Yeah a counterbalanced shaft has never worked really well for me. I got the worst results in recent memory from the HZRDUS Yellow..

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Stale over than boardy. It is counterbalance, so some weight might need to be added to the head.

Yeah a counterbalanced shaft has never worked really well for me. I got the worst results in recent memory from the HZRDUS Yellow..

Likewise.....I never hit so many snap hooks in my life. Blindly ordered a KK XT TX and all is right in the world. 295 average and a 5 yard fade (which I've never hit in my life)

I would call it crisp. It's not rebar like a T1100 but it's not fine wine like a Tensei Pro Orange. I'd say it falls in between the two. If you don't like counterweight, and still want the same spin killer, click here.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1507170-mitsubishi-kuro-kage-dual-core-xt-shafts/page__pid__15791442#entry15791442

Well, call me crazy. Hit the copper against the black with the m2...and the black is going in the bag for tomorrow's tourney round. Got better spin numbers, and was putting better swings on it today...im confused.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Well, call me crazy. Hit the copper against the black with the m2...and the black is going in the bag for tomorrow's tourney round. Got better spin numbers, and was putting better swings on it today...im confused.

Totally different balance points. I'd certainly assume one is more comfortable for you than the other.

Went to the range with gioguy after work today and he let me hit both the Copperhead and the Black. First, he's a great guy and was cool of him to let me try them. Just would've been cooler if he let me take one home with me lol

Started hitting the Copperhead and it is quite smooth. It can take pretty much whatever you throw at it, but it does like a smooth swing better.

I then switched over to the Black and that is the shaft for me. No matter what you throw at this thing, it will handle easily. I have a more aggressive transition and this shaft was a better fit for my swing, but the Copperhead felt good as well.

I'd say my spin and launch were lower with the Black. Didn't do much time on the Flightscope, but one had a spin rate or 2900. A little high, but if that is as high as my spin gets, it's a keeper.

Aldila has a great set of shafts here, and I'll be looking for a Black to go into my TM M1 440!!

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 8* - Tensei White Pro 70TX

Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood (14*) - Kai'Li White 80x (tipped extra 1/2")

Callaway UW 17* - Kai'Li White 90TX

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3 (20*) - Kai'Li White 100TX

Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 5-9 - KBS Tour V 125 S+

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 55 & 60 - KBS 610

TaylorMade Spider S Platinum Single Bend - KBS CT Tour Matte Black shaft

Went to the range with gioguy after work today and he let me hit both the Copperhead and the Black. First, he's a great guy and was cool of him to let me try them. Just would've been cooler if he let me take one home with me lol

Started hitting the Copperhead and it is quite smooth. It can take pretty much whatever you throw at it, but it does like a smooth swing better.

I then switched over to the Black and that is the shaft for me. No matter what you throw at this thing, it will handle easily. I have a more aggressive transition and this shaft was a better fit for my swing, but the Copperhead felt good as well.

I'd say my spin and launch were lower with the Black. Didn't do much time on the Flightscope, but one had a spin rate or 2900. A little high, but if that is as high as my spin gets, it's a keeper.

Aldila has a great set of shafts here, and I'll be looking for a Black to go into my TM M1 440!!

I'd be willing to bet based on seeing ur flight that the 2900 is more like the outlier. Almost all of ur shots hit and kicked forward with roll. I knew the black would be ur match...my bad man lol. Gotta keep her if she's workin well. Tomorrow if u want to borrow the copper, let me know.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Played in a tournament today and had the best driving round of the year and probably would've been the same comparing it to last year! Last 6 tee shots that required a driver all found the fairway! That's been a big issue for me, my driving accuracy % has been less that 50 for a couple years now and with copper it's finally going to improve. Today it was 71.4% ?

Is the copper really doing much, or more of a gimmick to stand out from the pack?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Is the copper really doing much, or more of a gimmick to stand out from the pack?

It has crushed my green Hzdrus and yellow Hzdrus. I have gain yards and consistency.

So for me it is no gimmick and just flat out works. I think I can make it even better by adding weight to the SZ-- need to pick up an extra weight.

protos F4

True I could just be getting better, when I switched from a stock extra stuff shaft to the rogue silver 125 I saw an improvement though. And ever since I switched to this it seems to have taken my control to another level. The weight and way it loads just fits my swing great apparently. Talk about lucky me!

Hey guys, may I ask your SS averages? I see a number of guys gaming the "TX" flex and I'm curious what your speeds are? I fully intend to order a new G400 and I was thinking to take a shot in the dark at the Copper shaft. My SS is around 110-115 range and I was thinking like a 70g in stiff (maybe tipped a 1/2")?

Am I correct that the flexes go: S then X then TX?

I'm probably closer to 105, and I like a firmer shaft feel so requested an untipped X. It's been a great fit for me, and handles anything I give at it.

Like Gio mentioned, it's pretty smooth and VERY stable. It is really consistent, and I'm a smoother fan as well so you're in good company with this shaft.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Completely possible. If it is in fact a $40/$50 upcharge I may buy the driver just for the shaft and hope the driver works out

Completely possible. If it is in fact a $40/$50 upcharge I may buy the driver just for the shaft and hope the driver works out

i'd have to agree with you -- the shaft might just be worth taking that chance.

I wish we had more info from Aldila on this copper (maybe we do... I've just skimmed the thread). The X Torsion Copper launching with the PING is only listed in a 50 regular flex, and a 60 stiff flex, according to our price lists. No X flex, yet they do list the HZRDUS Yellow in an X flex. And at the nominal upcharge price for the PING X Torsion, I have a real big suspicion that it's not the same shaft that's being reviewed in this thread.

I know the two flexes you listed (50R and 60s) are the only two options offered before the Xs.

I know that doesn't mean much of anything, but PING is a company that doesn't give water down oem shafts.

They prefer you using their proprietary shafts over anything else.

protos F4

I know the two flexes you listed (50R and 60s) are the only two options offered before the Xs.

I know that doesn't mean much of anything, but PING is a company that doesn't give water down oem shafts.

Never said it was "watered down". Could be one made only for PING though, similar to the HZRDUS T800 that Callaway uses that is similar to the T1100 that really isn't a shaft the masses can use. When reps use the line "this is a shaft developed for us" (same thing Callaway says about the T800), I'm lead to believe it's not exactly the same as what's reviewed in this thread.

In other words, PINGs version could be a variant using the tech from the shaft here in this thread, but more fitting the general/average golfer. Or, it could be a situation similar to the Handcrafted vs machine made/mass produced HZRDUS shafts. Handcrafted is expensive, machine made is used by several OEMs as a no charge upgrade.

It would be cool if I'm wrong though, and it's the tour grade shaft.

What do u mean by a gimmick ?

The xtorsion and mamba tech, I believe, makes this shaft as advertised. Gimmicks to me are things that are fluff, made up or complete bs.

Nothing bout these shafts are bs lol

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Never said it was "watered down". Could be one made only for PING though, similar to the HZRDUS T800 that Callaway uses that is similar to the T1100 that really isn't a shaft the masses can use. When reps use the line "this is a shaft developed for us" (same thing Callaway says about the T800), I'm lead to believe it's not exactly the same as what's reviewed in this thread.

In other words, PINGs version could be a variant using the tech from the shaft here in this thread, but more fitting the general/average golfer. Or, it could be a situation similar to the Handcrafted vs machine made/mass produced HZRDUS shafts. Handcrafted is expensive, machine made is used by several OEMs as a no charge upgrade.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them offered as a real deal Tour quality upgrade, but we all know something like that isn't a $50 up charge. Maybe a $250 upcharge, and if so, a tremendous bargain at that.

What do u mean by a gimmick ?

The xtorsion and mamba tech, I believe, makes this shaft as advertised. Gimmicks to me are things that are fluff, made up or complete bs.

Nothing bout these shafts are bs lol

I agree with Gio here. These shafts have no "gimmick" to them.

The Copperhead feels very good, but I'm not sure it's for a player with a more aggressive transition.

However, that's why they have the Black. If you have an aggressive transition at the top, I believe you will love the Black.

I'm not sure about the technology behind it, but I can tell you they are the real deal. The Black, when I hit it, was as stable as any shaft I've hit.

Gio summed it up best when we were at the range. The Copperhead is for someone that doesn't want to go after it every time they hit driver, while the Black is for someone that likes getting after it.

Either one could work for you, just depends on what you're looking for. The Copperhead does feel a touch "smoother" than the Black...but with my swing, I feel better with the Black.

Now I just have to find a way to get one.

Was able to log a nice long range session with my Copper yesterday. Truth be told, I have been riding the fence a little between this shaft and my 757 since I received it. I'm still not sure that the Copper will end up beating out my gamer. I'm pretty engrained with the 757 and am not sure I see it leaving the bag for a long time. All of that said, I made more headway toward the Copper yesterday than I expected. Here are my thoughts:

1) This might be among the smoothest feeling shafts I've ever felt. I am playing the 70 TX and it just feels almost effortless to swing it.

2) At the same time, it is incredibly stable. The club does not get away from me in any way.

3) I hit it about the same in terms of distance as my 757. It launches a hair lower and potentially spins a hair less. I'm not sure I could have reasonably expect to pick up much performance wise. My 757 was pretty much maxed out in every category the last time I put it on trackman.

4) My one issue remains the head weight which I still need to tinker with. It feels a little too light which I think sometimes causes me to pull it around too much and hit some hooks. Although my swing is a little hooky at the moment.

The thing about yesterday that sticks in my head is the smoothness. I wonder whether it could help with those late-round tee shots by helping me stay very smooth and steady versus having to work hard with my 757. I notice that sometimes and I think the Copper offers a potential road to fixing it. Still have to play with the swing weight, but I suspect if you can get that part right this shaft is a major home run for Aldila. Feels like I'm swinging a regular flex 50 gram shaft that doesn't wobble around, but performs spec wise like a tour weight and flex workhorse.

Well. I decided the copper is it. Played today with it for 18 and although it may not be AS low spinning for my swing as the copper...with the copper I can hit multiple shots with confidence. Short grass is always beats 10y closer in the rough. I hit all but one fairway today using the copper with my m2. It needs more head weight but got dang if she isn't dependable as it gets.

I will be in the market for a heavier version of the copper for my 3w.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Well. I decided the copper is it. Played today with it for 18 and although it may not be AS low spinning for my swing as the copper...with the copper I can hit multiple shots with confidence. Short grass is always beats 10y closer in the rough. I hit all but one fairway today using the copper with my m2. It needs more head weight but got dang if she isn't dependable as it gets.

I will be in the market for a heavier version of the copper for my 3w.

Two people win in this scenario!!!

Was able to log a nice long range session with my Copper yesterday. Truth be told, I have been riding the fence a little between this shaft and my 757 since I received it. I'm still not sure that the Copper will end up beating out my gamer. I'm pretty engrained with the 757 and am not sure I see it leaving the bag for a long time. All of that said, I made more headway toward the Copper yesterday than I expected. Here are my thoughts:

1) This might be among the smoothest feeling shafts I've ever felt. I am playing the 70 TX and it just feels almost effortless to swing it.

2) At the same time, it is incredibly stable. The club does not get away from me in any way.

3) I hit it about the same in terms of distance as my 757. It launches a hair lower and potentially spins a hair less. I'm not sure I could have reasonably expect to pick up much performance wise. My 757 was pretty much maxed out in every category the last time I put it on trackman.

4) My one issue remains the head weight which I still need to tinker with. It feels a little too light which I think sometimes causes me to pull it around too much and hit some hooks. Although my swing is a little hooky at the moment.

The thing about yesterday that sticks in my head is the smoothness. I wonder whether it could help with those late-round tee shots by helping me stay very smooth and steady versus having to work hard with my 757. I notice that sometimes and I think the Copper offers a potential road to fixing it. Still have to play with the swing weight, but I suspect if you can get that part right this shaft is a major home run for Aldila. Feels like I'm swinging a regular flex 50 gram shaft that doesn't wobble around, but performs spec wise like a tour weight and flex workhorse.

That's fascinating to me. I don't think it feels like swinging a 50 gram regular flex at all. I think it feels very stiff and crisp. To me it almost has the sensation of swinging a steel iron shaft. The only time I feel it do anything is right at the bottom, just a little kick that launches it a bit higher than some other shafts. Yet with low spin and incredible control...

So pretty strange how we all describe shafts so differently. I suppose that's why you need to hit shafts and clubs and find out what's best for you, the individual

That's fascinating to me. I don't think it feels like swinging a 50 gram regular flex at all. I think it feels very stiff and crisp. To me it almost has the sensation of swinging a steel iron shaft. The only time I feel it do anything is right at the bottom, just a little kick that launches it a bit higher than some other shafts. Yet with low spin and incredible control...

So pretty strange how we all describe shafts so differently. I suppose that's why you need to hit shafts and clubs and find out what's best for you, the individual

Yeah don't take my comment about the 50 gram regular too literally. For me it's just extremely easy going. I have never hit the Hzrdus 1100 but I played and loved the Black Tie for many years. It was boardy and I loved it. My 757 isn't that boardy but is an 80 gram stout shaft, and I also love it. I think the thing that has my attention on the Copper is that it doesn't feel much like either of those, but seems to perform in line with them. Might be kind of comparable to the original Whiteboard, which I always felt to be a smooth but stout shaft. This is kind of similar to me. A great feel.

Edit: I think I also need to try the Black at some point. Could be the magic bullet for me.

HZDRUS Green are built of the same chassis of the Red HZDRUS and the same fibers of the T1100 but the weaker for the masses.

I believe this because this shaft has just flat out work for a lot of people with over 105 swing speeds. So, I would like to believe it will be the same shaft in the new PING based off their track record.

protos F4

HZDRUS Green are built of the same chassis of the Red HZDRUS and the same fibers of the T1100 but the weaker for the masses.

I believe this because this shaft has just flat out work for a lot of people with over 105 swing speeds. So, I would like to believe it will be the same shaft in the new PING based off their track record.

I hope you're right, but as a 23 year veteran of working with/selling PING and other manufacturers, I just don't see it. PING already is the lowest wholesale cost/best value of any of the big 4 when it comes to their premium driver, and the wholesale price of this X Torsion upgrade is peanuts on top of that. I just don't see any huge profit margin in there for PING to have the money to subsidize a shaft of this caliber (assuming the tour grade variant), unless Aldila is almost literally giving it to PING. I just don't think it can be the regular and stiff flex version of the exact same shaft that's being reviewed here. I think it's got to be more like the Handcrafted vs machine made HZRDUS variants.

Again, I'd love to be wrong about this. I'd love to get what I'm assuming is a several hundred dollar shaft for an upgrade price thats less than a dozen balls.

I hope you're right, but as a 23 year veteran of working with/selling PING and other manufacturers, I just don't see it. PING already is the lowest wholesale cost/best value of any of the big 4 when it comes to their premium driver, and the wholesale price of this X Torsion upgrade is peanuts on top of that. I just don't see any huge profit margin in there for PING to have the money to subsidize a shaft of this caliber (assuming the tour grade variant), unless Aldila is almost literally giving it to PING. I just don't think it can be the regular and stiff flex version of the exact same shaft that's being reviewed here. I think it's got to be more like the Handcrafted vs machine made HZRDUS variants.

Again, I'd love to be wrong about this. I'd love to get what I'm assuming is a several hundred dollar shaft for an upgrade price thats less than a dozen balls.

Definitely not disagreeing with your assessment.

Out of all of the other companies, PING seems to be the only one that doesn't full around with boutique shafts..

I guess I'm a dreamer but can't see PING offering a shaft because it looks good with their driver head?

Because the copper is going to look phenomenal with the G400. (Who would of thought they would be coming out with a 445cc heads in all!?!!)

protos F4