2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Dress code for tour players

MaddMaxx

As much as golf is a traditional game meant to be played by 'gentleman' this concept is slowing dying. I wouldn't say the new clothing and styles that we are seeing is a 'phase', I would say this is how the game is evolving. Eventually, all these country club courses will adapt their policies to be more lenient when it comes to clothing and style, to maintain any sort of membership. Some private courses are already suffering because they aren't adapting or willing to change their policies.

People may not agree with it or accept it but golf is very much evolving, whether is rule changes, equipment or clothing. It happens with all sports. We live in a time where the old golf generation is dying out, and their traditional ways are going out with them. And if you truly love the game of golf and what it represents, than what a player wears shouldn't matter, they are too just adapting.

And just remember..... Clothes don't make the man.

I love everything about this post.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as golf is a traditional game meant to be played by 'gentleman' this concept is slowing dying. I wouldn't say the new clothing and styles that we are seeing is a 'phase', I would say this is how the game is evolving. Eventually, all these country club courses will adapt their policies to be more lenient when it comes to clothing and style, to maintain any sort of membership. Some private courses are already suffering because they aren't adapting or willing to change their policies.

People may not agree with it or accept it but golf is very much evolving, whether is rule changes, equipment or clothing. It happens with all sports. We live in a time where the old golf generation is dying out, and their traditional ways are going out with them. And if you truly love the game of golf and what it represents, than what a player wears shouldn't matter, they are too just adapting.

well played Jaymayor

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

Great post, and I totally agree. I would add that another thing that has changed since the many of the first "Golf Clubs" or "Country Clubs" were created in England, Scotland, and eventually in the USA is the definition of "Gentleman". While it has come to represent how one comports oneself, it wasn't but a couple of generations ago that it implied "money", and "breeding".

Harry Vardon could never be a "gentleman", and even after all of his success on the course, was denied membership to a club he aspired to join. It wasn't until Walter Hagen insisted that the touring pros be allowed inside the clubhouse that it was so.

This obsession with dress codes is a fast-dying throwback to those days when the members believed they were just "better" than the class of folks who would never be allowed to join "the club". It's not dead, but with each passing generation, it loses more and more of its hold.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

From 1990- 2005, during my folks best retirement years they belonged to a nice club in Florida. In those days I had hair and after golfing I would have terrible "hat-head", so I would just keep my hat on when we went in for our post-round beverage. Inevitably I would be asked to remove my hat. Ok, you want to see my hat-head, Ok with me.

The last time I played there, I was determined to remember to take my hat off without being asked, and as I walked across the lot to the clubhouse a very nice man in a ranger cart pulled up and politely asked me to tuck in my shirt.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Call it the elitist in me, or whatever, but if I go somewhere where they allow, t-shirts, wife beaters and/or even shirtless.......I'm walking back out and going somewhere else. For me, it comes down to respect for the game and it's history......and proper attire is part of that.

With all respect, do you wear long sleeves, a tie, and plus-fours when you play?

Francis_B._Ouimet__1302529293_5300.bmp

A hundred years ago, a polo shirt and and khakis would be considered disrespectful to the game, but forty years later, short sleeve collared shirts had taken over.

5c8bcc71-20cb-4065-b6e1-138b3cca375e.jpg

Call it the elitist in me, or whatever, but if I go somewhere where they allow, t-shirts, wife beaters and/or even shirtless.......I'm walking back out and going somewhere else. For me, it comes down to respect for the game and it's history......and proper attire is part of that.

With all respect, do you wear long sleeves, a tie, and plus-fours when you play?

A hundred years ago, a polo shirt and and khakis would be considered disrespectful to the game, but forty years later, short sleeve collared shirts had taken over.

My preference would be that men wear shirts, and some sleeves (not a big fan of the wife-beater look on the course), but unless I had to share a cart with a sweaty shirtless man (woman might be ok, depending on a few other factors), I could deal with it. WTF, I don't have to look 3 fairways over. It just isn't a big deal for me.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

To answer your rhetorical question......obviously not. But if you're advocating, the t-shirts, the wife-beaters and/or the skin-bearers I mentioned, then have at it, and enjoy. My choice would be to simply play elsewhere........again, my choice! The establishment's policy of enforceable attire, or lack thereof, would probably go hand in hand with course conditions anyhow. Everyone has the right to choose how to enjoy where they play.....including any aforementioned dress codes. Changing and evolving styles are a far cry from t-shirts and no shirts.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I think Penguin is referencing the style of fashion as it evolves. From what I understand golf attire should be a reflection of the style of the times. Essentially what the normal business man would wear. Hence is why in the Sarazen days it was long trousers, vests, ties, and maybe even a jacket. I for one would like a shirt to have sleeves. I also dress for the occasion, if I am at a private club I dress appropriately. If I'm at the muni its a plain shirt and flat shorts.

The fact people have a problem with how another dresses cracks me up. I am in the camp of no wife beaters and gun show tees however. I also think that people should understand that new style trends will evolve as time does. The newer Nike gear is not for you if you're older, it's for the younger generation. The same way I believe Bieber's music is trash. Its not for me! I like the new shirt style, some colors are not for me but o well. I will also never wear pleated pants and middle aged white guy sketchers. Not for me. Kutcher hells yeah.

To each his own, just be yourself out there. Unless you can be batman....then be batman.

Not all who wander are lost.

M1 440 8.5 Kuru Kage X
TEE cb2 15 X
Taylormade M1 5 wood speeder S
Cobra amp cell pro 3-pw X100
Cobra Tour Trusty 53-58 X100
T.P Mills RS

Just for the record, I never said I had a problem with them, I just said they're not "collared" shirts, they're just t-shirts with a cut and some buttons.

I have personally worn jeans on the course, and I've worn t-shirts on the course. I've worn cargo shorts, wind pants, whatever I had on that day. If the course dress code allows it, I'm fine with it.

And I don't believe that a course dress code is reflective of conditions of the course. My home course allows jeans, and it is one of the best public courses in the Houston area, and there's an awful lot to choose from in that category. Conditions are always spot on, greens are near perfect year round, and as long as your jeans aren't ripped to shreds, no problem wearing them. A lot of that has to do with the demographic in your area. Here, it is mostly blue collar workers, and jeans are a common attire.

I really don't care much about other men's fashion sense, so long as it doesn't affect mine. But, can someone get

Rory and Day a shirt that fits? I'm sure Nike makes those shirts in a size other than smedium.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

To answer your rhetorical question......obviously not. But if you're advocating, the t-shirts, the wife-beaters and/or the skin-bearers I mentioned, then have at it, and enjoy. My choice would be to simply play elsewhere........again, my choice! The establishment's policy of enforceable attire, or lack thereof, would probably go hand in hand with course conditions anyhow. Everyone has the right to choose how to enjoy where they play.....including any aforementioned dress codes. Changing and evolving styles are a far cry from t-shirts and no shirts.

I was pushing back on the idea that "proper attire" shows respect for the game. Were that the case, we'd all need to invest in a lot more tweed. My opinion is that respect for the game is shown by actually playing it. Dust ups about proper attire are simply a vestige of the British class system. Yes, you can play where you wish, and a club can set its own dress code, but to assert that "proper attire" is what makes one a respectable golfer, to me, misses the point of playing a game started by a bunch of poor shepherds from BFE Scotland.

EDIT: Also, what Jayman said.

I was pushing back on the idea that "proper attire" shows respect for the game. Were that the case, we'd all need to invest in a lot more tweed. My opinion is that respect for the game is shown by actually playing it. Dust ups about proper attire are simply a vestige of the British class system. Yes, you can play where you wish, and a club can set its own dress code, but to assert that "proper attire" is what makes one a respectable golfer, to me, misses the point of playing a game started by a bunch of poor shepherds from BFE Scotland.

EDIT: Also, what Jayman said.

Do you work for the press and routinely twist words? I said nothing of "what makes one a respectable golfer." What I said was, for me, it comes down to respect for the game and it's history......and proper attire is part of that......again FOR ME! You can choose to assert anything you want, but that's not what I wrote. I respect what the game means and what it's become over the years, due to it's rich history.....and none of that is reflected in t-shirts, wife-beaters or going shirtless. That's it.....my opinion.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Do you work for the press and routinely twist words? I said nothing of "what makes one a respectable golfer." What I said was, for me, it comes down to respect for the game and it's history......and proper attire is part of that......again FOR ME! You can choose to assert anything you want, but that's not what I wrote. I respect what the game means and what it's become over the years, due to it's rich history.....and none of that is reflected in t-shirts, wife-beaters or going shirtless. That's it.....my opinion.

Nope, not a journalist, and also not sure how I'm twisting your words, but maybe I should have said a "respectful golfer." Is that more accurate?

Next, let's take an example using your standard. Two golfers, one wearing a t-shirt and cargo pants, the other a polo shirt and khakis. Both carry a legitimate handicap and follow the Rules of Golf to the letter. By your standard, the golfer in the t-shirt and shorts doesn't respect the game or its history (or perhaps, not respect the game enough?) because he chooses to wear a t-shirt. I simply disagree with that.

I also think that had Ben Hogan gotten in a time machine and shown up to play in the 1913 U.S. Open wearing his 1950 U.S. Open attire, someone would have said something much like what you just have. Also, I would then build my own time machine and go back to the 1913 U.S. Open to watch Ben kick Word not allowed while wearing my cargo shorts, Under Armour polo, and ASICS running shoes.