Dress code for tour players

MaddMaxx

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we fast forward this thread to the part where we complain about Michelle Wie wearing her yoga outfit on the course?

I am just north of 60, have two daughters and two granddaughters and trust me, I am not a prude. But watching the LPGA major last weekend, I actually had to change channels when they showed Michelle Wie putting in some of here outfits. Rip me if you want, but I don't understand.

Are we talking about the same lanky, korean boy? :taunt:

I have absolutely no issue with players wearing Blade collars on the golf course. Personally, I think they look absolutely terrible, but, I don't have any issue with them being on the golf course and considered a 'collar' even though it's not a collar in our present traditional sense.

Side note - IDK what it is, I think it's the color schemes they have going on right now, but, man I really don't like much of Nike's 2017 offerings. I think their shoes this year are maybe the best collection of golf shoes we have seen from one company but other than that it's bad. Bad color pallet, bad cuts, bad look overall. The Nike players looked like something out of Star trek early in the week and whatever the heck that disaster that Rory was wearing yesterday should be burned. My wife saw him and goes 'why is Rory wearing a women's shirt'... then she took a closer look and goes 'what is that? That's awful' lol

I saw their lineup at PGA SS this weekend and it looks even worse in person. The materials are pretty odd and felt uncomfortable as well. Bad all around

I think we are seeing a major shift in Millennial fashion. Money drove the decision for Rory to wear that unisex shirt.

I am a millennial though. My friends are millennials and we had a group text going talking about how awful all of the Nike guys look (seriously we actually had a group text talking about this). I actually like all of the Nike Golf Club collection. The stuff Day has been wearing in commercials and promos. The flat brims, the tighter fitting pants, the Nike Air Max 90 golf shoes... I think those are all awesome. I really like that street style golf wear. Kind of like how Travis Mathew started by being a west coast lifestyle clothing company that was making golf clothes. But this stuff wasn't out of that Golf Club collection. This stuff was out of their normal Nike Golf collection. It was hideous.

Curious - Did you ever just set the phone down and watch the coverage?

I've been on a lot of forums, but you are one of the most god awful trolls I've ever encountered lol. Carry on.

In before some lame comeback trying to bait me

Ping Anser 10*
TaylorMade SLDR 14.5*
Adams DHY Pro 18* & Super 21*
2007 Callaway X-Forged 5-PW
Cleveland CG12 50*, Titleist SM5 56* 60*
2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

I have absolutely no issue with players wearing Blade collars on the golf course. Personally, I think they look absolutely terrible, but, I don't have any issue with them being on the golf course and considered a 'collar' even though it's not a collar in our present traditional sense.

Side note - IDK what it is, I think it's the color schemes they have going on right now, but, man I really don't like much of Nike's 2017 offerings. I think their shoes this year are maybe the best collection of golf shoes we have seen from one company but other than that it's bad. Bad color pallet, bad cuts, bad look overall. The Nike players looked like something out of Star trek early in the week and whatever the heck that disaster that Rory was wearing yesterday should be burned. My wife saw him and goes 'why is Rory wearing a women's shirt'... then she took a closer look and goes 'what is that? That's awful' lol

I saw their lineup at PGA SS this weekend and it looks even worse in person. The materials are pretty odd and felt uncomfortable as well. Bad all around

I think we are seeing a major shift in Millennial fashion. Money drove the decision for Rory to wear that unisex shirt.

I am a millennial though. My friends are millennials and we had a group text going talking about how awful all of the Nike guys look (seriously we actually had a group text talking about this). I actually like all of the Nike Golf Club collection. The stuff Day has been wearing in commercials and promos. The flat brims, the tighter fitting pants, the Nike Air Max 90 golf shoes... I think those are all awesome. I really like that street style golf wear. Kind of like how Travis Mathew started by being a west coast lifestyle clothing company that was making golf clothes. But this stuff wasn't out of that Golf Club collection. This stuff was out of their normal Nike Golf collection. It was hideous.

Got ya a new avatar

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

I have 2 eyes....

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I was watching today and it looked like Jason Day didn't have a collar.

That is a blade collar. It is technically a collar - it just doesn't fold over.

Call it whatever you want.

I will keep calling these Nike shirts what they are:

An abomination.

Noted.

If you don't like something, by all means don't wear it, but what are you all hoping to accomplish by voicing your displeasure with these shirts so often? There are about 7 threads that preceded this one with the exact same regurgitated responses (probably by the same people). You can hate them until you are blue in the face, and I'll be over here enjoying the hell out of wearing them. If anything, the old guard hating these so much makes me want to go load up on them and wear them for every round. The ironic thing (as mentioned) is the old guard before you wore this same collar style. Style is cyclical.

Doesn't have anything to do with being old school. I don't have anything against shirts with flapless collars on the golf course per se. I don't care much about this part of the dress code, and I have even worn trousers with a jeans like cut on the course (although not in blue denim). I also think that the black tee-shirt with the high crew neck Nicklaus wears in one of the pictures in this thread looks pretty cool.

It is just that I find these particular shirts by Nike really, really ugly.

RyMo wore those same style pants yesterday by the way... (I love those pants.. have a few pairs of AGs that I wear to work to a lot... technically they are denim even though its a better material and doesn't look like denim)

I can't believe there hasn't been a thread about that on here yet 'Why was RyMo wearing pants that looked like a carpenter?' 'Aren't those denim? Denim is PROHIBITED' 'Kick that idiot off tour for wearing those' 'Where are the pleats... flat front is way too casual'

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

It really boggles my mind how much some men judge what another man wears. I don't care for this years Nike designs. Regardless they all look INFINITELY better than the stained polo bought 20 years ago from walmart worn by a lot of the people complaining about the blade collar.

Oh great, so now we don't like Faded Glory???

Jeez ;)

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I was watching today and it looked like Jason Day didn't have a collar.

That is a blade collar. It is technically a collar - it just doesn't fold over.

Call it whatever you want.

I will keep calling these Nike shirts what they are:

An abomination.

Noted.

If you don't like something, by all means don't wear it, but what are you all hoping to accomplish by voicing your displeasure with these shirts so often? There are about 7 threads that preceded this one with the exact same regurgitated responses (probably by the same people). You can hate them until you are blue in the face, and I'll be over here enjoying the hell out of wearing them. If anything, the old guard hating these so much makes me want to go load up on them and wear them for every round. The ironic thing (as mentioned) is the old guard before you wore this same collar style. Style is cyclical.

Doesn't have anything to do with being old school. I don't have anything against shirts with flapless collars on the golf course per se. I don't care much about this part of the dress code, and I have even worn trousers with a jeans like cut on the course (although not in blue denim). I also think that the black tee-shirt with the high crew neck Nicklaus wears in one of the pictures in this thread looks pretty cool.

It is just that I find these particular shirts by Nike really, really ugly.

Avrag!

Where have you been, my good man?

Clearly, golf attire has gone a bit "Under Ground". Speaking of which, how is Salzburg?

; )

It really boggles my mind how much some men judge what another man wears. I don't care for this years Nike designs. Regardless they all look INFINITELY better than the stained polo bought 20 years ago from walmart worn by a lot of the people complaining about the blade collar.

Oh great, so now we don't like Faded Glory???

Jeez ;)

Maybe if they lasted longer than one AZ summer lol

I have a confession that will surely make the collective WRX hair peel back...

Every summer I tie-dye a couple of golf shirts AND wear them.

What hair? I figure pretty much everyone whining on here has a receding hairline at best, and a full horseshoe at worst. Maybe a rug.

"I can't shave my head. This combover is more traditional."

Wow, is this one stuffy room! Personally, I see a lot of this elitism as far as dress code, or even something like having a speaker in your cart, as one of the many reasons why this game is, albeit slowly, dying. I was with my dad last season visiting my sister and we tried to sneak out for a quick round. We found a nice course that was a bit of a trek, but seemed like it would be well worth it. We got to the clubhouse and my dad ran in to pay. I parked the car, grabbed the clubs, and started heading towards the carts to throw the clubs on. Just as I was finishing up, my dad came out and said that we weren't allowed to play because we were wearing jeans! I was honestly shocked, as the course was absolutely dead at that time of day. We ended up having to back track about 20 minutes to get to some rinky dink little 9 holer to walk on. The whole situation just left a seriously bad taste in my mouth. Almost as bad as the 20 hdcp who's dressed like he's waiting for his name to be called at Augusta, who stands with his hands on his hips in disbelief on the tee box as my friend, who's new to the game, tops their shot. This whole game just needs to lighten up!

Wow, is this one stuffy room! Personally, I see a lot of this elitism as far as dress code, or even something like having a speaker in your cart, as one of the many reasons why this game is, albeit slowly, dying. I was with my dad last season visiting my sister and we tried to sneak out for a quick round. We found a nice course that was a bit of a trek, but seemed like it would be well worth it. We got to the clubhouse and my dad ran in to pay. I parked the car, grabbed the clubs, and started heading towards the carts to throw the clubs on. Just as I was finishing up, my dad came out and said that we weren't allowed to play because we were wearing jeans! I was honestly shocked, as the course was absolutely dead at that time of day. We ended up having to back track about 20 minutes to get to some rinky dink little 9 holer to walk on. The whole situation just left a seriously bad taste in my mouth. Almost as bad as the 20 hdcp who's dressed like he's waiting for his name to be called at Augusta, who stands with his hands on his hips in disbelief on the tee box as my friend, who's new to the game, tops their shot. This whole game just needs to lighten up!

While I agree on the jeans issue (many, many posts over the years), Ive learned that the nicer the facility, the more the likelihood is they won't allow denim. I always check the website beforehand now to find out about the dress code (although usually it's checking on cargo shorts).

Then I can decide. Since it's their place, if I want to play there, I have to follow their rules. Doesn't bother me much anymore whichever way it is. If all I happen to have is jeans, there will always be a course willing to take my money.

Yeah it's like restaurants. Some places you can be casual, others you have to dress up a little bit. There are places where you can wear jeans or whatever you want.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

In the age of the internet and smart phones, why would you turn up at a decent golf course in jeans without calling ahead ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I think the only dress code at my home track is "clothing required". It's a muni, so we see all sorts. My favorite this year was the grey-haired guy with a pony tail, hemp logo on the tee shirt, pulling his ancient vinyl bag on a two-wheel trolley. I like it that he is welcome at my course, along with the old men in jeans, young kids dressed like Rickie Fowler, young girls in black yoga pants, and my group in our "traditional" attire.

Once my brother had to but a shirt because his had Titleist on his and no advertising was allowed.

Hey MM, I hope all's well with Ya :)

Nice thread!!

Do you by chance remember the name of the club(I'm assuming that it was a club cuz no muni, semi or resort could ever afford to do something this this) that your Bro Played at that didn't allow OEM/Manufacturer "advertising?"

I only ask because that would eliminate virtually 95-96% of the shirts out there, including RL(the little Polo thingy), the Zod(gator) and even my adored Bobby Jones(The golfer stitched in between neck buttons).

Have a great week?

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Never forget the day my daughter had to come down from the pro shop to the range one hot summer afternoon and tell a nice old gentleman about 5'8" and 260 he needed to have his shirt on. She keep calling his name very politely from progressively closer distances until he finally heard her because she just didn't want to get any closer than necessary. It was hilarious. She eventually forgave me for calling the pro shop and having someone send her down there for "an issue". Can still hear her "ewwww" as she got to the top of the hill and saw the problem.

Avrag!

Where have you been, my good man?

Clearly, golf attire has gone a bit "Under Ground". Speaking of which, how is Salzburg?

; )

I am fine, thnak you. except that a boatload of work keeps me from posting here more often and also (so far this year) from playing golf myself. But I did not miss Sergio's victory, and I was unbelievably happy.

Unfortunately RB Salzburg (or as we like to call it "the marketing department of a softdrink company") is doing fine in our brand of football, which cannot be said for the Viennese clubs.

Hence my suggestion to the good luck charm in the other thread that he should visit Vienna next.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Don't forget there was a time when golf pros were not considered a desirable type of person to have at your club.

Probably well earned to if you read the stories from the old days. A rowdy lot of partiers.

They had to change their shoes in the parking lot, were not allowed to use the members entrance and god forbid they entered the clubhouse.

They were second class and not the celebrities they are now and if they didn't dress up they probably wouldn't be allowed in.

Can we fast forward this thread to the part where we complain about Michelle Wie wearing her yoga outfit on the course?

I am just north of 60, have two daughters and two granddaughters and trust me, I am not a prude. But watching the LPGA major last weekend, I actually had to change channels when they showed Michelle Wie putting in some of here outfits. Rip me if you want, but I don't understand.

I am also just north of 60, and trust me, if you have to change channels because of what Michelle Wie wears on the golf course, you are, indeed, a prude.

No disrespect intended, but , really.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

http://www.pgatour.com/style-report/2016/02/18/style-insider-golf-apparel-nike-fashion-flyknit-chukka-shoes-fly-blade-polo-tights.html

If these cats rolled into my club. I would make two calls.

Management - to have them removed.

The police - to have them arrested.

Management couldn't do anything (since they aren't breaking the rules, regardless of your opinion).

The police would laugh at you.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

As much as golf is a traditional game meant to be played by 'gentleman' this concept is slowing dying. I wouldn't say the new clothing and styles that we are seeing is a 'phase', I would say this is how the game is evolving. Eventually, all these country club courses will adapt their policies to be more lenient when it comes to clothing and style, to maintain any sort of membership. Some private courses are already suffering because they aren't adapting or willing to change their policies.

People may not agree with it or accept it but golf is very much evolving, whether is rule changes, equipment or clothing. It happens with all sports. We live in a time where the old golf generation is dying out, and their traditional ways are going out with them. And if you truly love the game of golf and what it represents, than what a player wears shouldn't matter, they are too just adapting.

And just remember..... Clothes don't make the man.