Dress code for tour players

MaddMaxx

I have always believed that you should put some effort in your dress when you go play. If I ever played a course where some men were not wearing shirts I would not come back to that course. However, it is not hard to see why the golf industry is struggling when people look down on those that wear these blade collar style shirts. With comments like "Bad for Golf" come up thats a little worrisome in my opinion.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call it the elitist in me, or whatever, but if I go somewhere where they allow, t-shirts, wife beaters and/or even shirtless.......I'm walking back out and going somewhere else. For me, it comes down to respect for the game and it's history......and proper attire is part of that.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I don't understand why people are concerned with what other people wear. As long as they are covered, it's all good. But to each they're own. That's why there are elite clubs, clubs, publics, and munis ... something for every flavor.

Edit: And I enjoy wearing slacks and a collared shirt every time I play. I've got one buddy who plays in cargos and a tee, unless we go somewhere "fancy."

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: On a rotating basis
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

to those who take issue with non collared shirts, what is your take on shorts ? I wear pants till its 80-85 degrees but anything beyond that I am wearing my Khaki Shorts. I personally always wear a collared shirt but that could be because where I work is business casual so I have a lot of polo shirts

I was watching today and it looked like Jason Day didn't have a collar.

That is a blade collar. It is technically a collar - it just doesn't fold over.

That (and Rory's shirt) is a t-shirt with buttons. They can call it what they want, but that's not a "collared shirt".

Exactly, looks more like a henley.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I was watching today and it looked like Jason Day didn't have a collar.

That is a blade collar. It is technically a collar - it just doesn't fold over.

That (and Rory's shirt) is a t-shirt with buttons. They can call it what they want, but that's not a "collared shirt".

Exactly, looks more like a henley.

But that is not a fancy enough name for it. Nike had reinvented the shirt, it is the best shirt in the world, it keeps you cool when you are warm and warm when you are cool and it needs an edgy name because it is the edgiest shirt you will ever see...until Nike out edgy it and bring out something else in a horrible colour scheme that is even better.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

to those who take issue with non collared shirts, what is your take on shorts ? I wear pants till its 80-85 degrees but anything beyond that I am wearing my Khaki Shorts. I personally always wear a collared shirt but that could be because where I work is business casual so I have a lot of polo shirts

I've played on courses (only 2 really) that did not allow shorts. Seemed pretty dumb at the time but whatcha gonna do, so I wore pants. I have since heard that one course has decided to remove that restriction because a) the Board of Directors was changed to a younger, not so stuffy crew; and b) this group decided that since ladies can wear skirts, then men should be able to wear shorts. No cargo or denim though.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Goofy Blade Collar + Millennials = Bad for golf.

It’s a phase.

It's a long phase, then. The first blade collar I remember on Tour was worn by Duval about 18 years ago.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

hahahaha sorry... I call BS that your bro had to *buy a shirt because advertising wasn't allowed. If that was the case then he MUST belong to a nudist golf club

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

It's a phase.

It's a long phase, then. The first blade collar I remember on Tour was worn by Duval about 18 years ago.

Anybody out there on the course participating = good for golf.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I know at the courses I play at require a shirt with a collar. Apparently it is not required of PGA pros.

Do the courses you play require a collar?

Once my brother had to but a shirt because his had Titleist on his and no advertising was allowed.

Any other oddities you have experienced?

No advertising allowed??? Are you freaking kidding me? I would have played somewhere else.

I was playing a private course as a guest on a corporate membership in New Jersey (Fiddlers Elbow) back when the "mock turtleneck necks" were all the rage. I was wearing one when I walked in the pro shop to sign in. They looked at me and said "you need a collared shirt to play here". I told them I had a collar, they said I didn't. I said "they wear these shirts on the PGA tour, it has a collar". That was met with a "are you on the PGA tour? You need a collar, and that's not a collar".

I bought a shirt at the clubhouse. $65 it cost me.

I've always wanted to play Fiddlers Elbow, not to get off topic, but how was it? Other than being stuffy because they didn't like your shirt.

I've played on courses (only 2 really) that did not allow shorts. Seemed pretty dumb at the time but whatcha gonna do, so I wore pants. I have since heard that one course has decided to remove that restriction because a) the Board of Directors was changed to a younger, not so stuffy crew; and b) this group decided that since ladies can wear skirts, then men should be able to wear shorts. No cargo or denim though.

That skirt argument I've always tried to make at work, but it never flies.

Nice to see the one course come to their senses.

Look all you youngsters have it wrong. Golf is to be played in a sport coat! At the very least a vest and tie. Back in my day you would be shunned from the club and be thrown into a sticky wicket or beaten with my niblick. That's the way you are supposed to be dressed.

Not all who wander are lost.

M1 440 8.5 Kuru Kage X
TEE cb2 15 X
Taylormade M1 5 wood speeder S
Cobra amp cell pro 3-pw X100
Cobra Tour Trusty 53-58 X100
T.P Mills RS

Glad at least one of them came to their senses. I've worked at one that shorts were only allowed Memorial Day-Labor Day. Another one (public course) that ended up with a "whatever goes" type policy. Frat Boys out on the range in flip flops and sleeveless shirts was a normal thing.

I think it's good to have a wide range of dress codes at various courses. Someone just starting should be allowed to be comfortable out on the course. To me if that means being at the muni in cargos and t-shirt then fine by me. Just don't expect to show up at Pebble and play in the same thing.

hahahaha sorry... I call BS that your bro had to *buy a shirt because advertising wasn't allowed. If that was the case then he MUST belong to a nudist golf club

True story.

My Father was a member and we were his guests. The course is Ashburn country Club IN NS Canada. This end of the country is not very wealthy but Ashburn tries to maintain the Snobbery at an elite level. When founded only WASPs were allowed to join. Thankfully people who didn't fit this requirement started their own clubs which are very playable courses.

My Brothers shirt actually had Nova Scotia written on it. If it was Titleist or something golf related I can't see how they could have made my Dad buy him a new shirt in the proshop.

Another story of this great place. When my Father passed away I went out to the club to reminisce after his funeral. I sat down and within 5 minutes I was approached and asked if I was a guest of a member. I explained that my Father had been a member for over 30 years and I had just come from the funeral. I was asked to leave immediately. Nice place.

True story.

My Father was a member and we were his guests. The course is Ashburn country Club IN NS Canada. This end of the country is not very wealthy but Ashburn tries to maintain the Snobbery at an elite level. When founded only WASPs were allowed to join. Thankfully people who didn't fit this requirement started their own clubs which are very playable courses.

My Brothers shirt actually had Nova Scotia written on it. If it was Titleist or something golf related I can't see how they could have made my Dad buy him a new shirt in the proshop.

Another story of this great place. When my Father passed away I went out to the club to reminisce after his funeral. I sat down and within 5 minutes I was approached and asked if I was with a guest of a member. I explained that my Father had been a member for over 30 years and I had just come from the funeral. I was asked to leave immediately. Nice place.

Awesome. But remember, it's the millennials who are bad for golf, not the antiquated class system. :swoon:

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Glad at least one of them came to their senses. I've worked at one that shorts were only allowed Memorial Day-Labor Day. Another one (public course) that ended up with a "whatever goes" type policy. Frat Boys out on the range in flip flops and sleeveless shirts was a normal thing.

I think it's good to have a wide range of dress codes at various courses. Someone just starting should be allowed to be comfortable out on the course. To me if that means being at the muni in cargos and t-shirt then fine by me. Just don't expect to show up at Pebble and play in the same thing.

Cargos are allowed at Pebble.

Can we fast forward this thread to the part where we complain about Michelle Wie wearing her yoga outfit on the course?

I am just north of 60, have two daughters and two granddaughters and trust me, I am not a prude. But watching the LPGA major last weekend, I actually had to change channels when they showed Michelle Wie putting in some of here outfits. Rip me if you want, but I don't understand.

Can we fast forward this thread to the part where we complain about Michelle Wie wearing her yoga outfit on the course?

I am just north of 60, have two daughters and two granddaughters and trust me, I am not a prude. But watching the LPGA major last weekend, I actually had to change channels when they showed Michelle Wie putting in some of here outfits. Rip me if you want, but I don't understand.

Can't imagine why anyone would rip you. You're entitled to your opinion.

I agree some of Michelle's choices push the boundaries, but I don't mind a bit. I actually hate when it's cold when the girls play and they're all bundled up.

Now, if Michelle were my daughter.........

It’s a phase.

:stop: You do realize that without those "millennials" that you think are a "phase" and bad for golf, that the game will die right? Everyone is welcome to their opinion on what clothing they prefer but to call a whole age demographic bad for the game is pretty close minded. Within the last three years I have heard more people watching and enjoying golf that aren't diehard fans or that even play the game based off the performance and the influence of those same millennials that are out on tour.... but go on tell me how bad they are for golf.

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

http://golftips.golfweek.com/men-wear-pga-20546.html

The PGA Tour Handbook states: “Players shall present a neat appearance in both clothing and personal grooming. Clothing worn by players shall be consistent with currently accepted golf fashion. The tournament director shall interpret this regulation subject to the approval of the commissioner.”

I don't remember the player, I believe it was Pat Perez was wearing a mock neck shirt at the TPC River Highlands Tournament in Cromwell (GHO, Travellers,...whatever they were calling it that year). His shirt was okay by PGA standards but the course made him put on a shirt with a collar to play. It got a lot of press around here. The overwhelming feeling was that if it was Duval or Tiger no one would have said a word to them about their shirt.

Higher end courses I play in AZ, CA & TX have dress codes. That said, I have a few really nice crew-neck pullover shirts that I wear that pass muster. I don't like any clothes that look really trendy, nor do I like pants that look like jeans..

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Posted this in a jogger thread a while back. These collars have been around a long time. Reminded me of Legend of Bagger Vance.

"So much of what you think may be a relatively new trend almost always has a rich past, often steeped in military origins. The history of the grandad collar shirt is not quite so cut and dry, there are a number of different points of reference for this season’s coolest shirt…

One origin is New York, 1927. A lady named Hannah Montague cut the collar off her husband’s shirt to wash it separately and so was born the detachable collar. Historically very formal, all manner of detachable collar styles were available including the wing tip used by the legal professionals and city workers of the day. Without the detachable collar fastened in, the shirt has just a band collar, almost exactly as you’d find a grandad collar today. This charming back story gives rise to a rebellious modern tailoring look, where the idea is that you just left your detachable collar off and removed the tie. It’s not a look for everyone and may not be appropriate for the office."

http://www.burton.co...irt/?geoip=home

Attached Thumbnails

• post-424320-0-02067900-1463581399.gif"