Members' Choice: What Are The Best Players Irons of 2017?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. iBlade - destroyed every other iron I tried in all categories. Looks, sound/feel, simulator numbers, etc... They're fairly forgiving for the category, but there's a sharp difference in feedback and results between purely struck shots and mis-hits. I've found the ball to jump off the face and have a stable and penetrating flight (some WRXers have complained profusely about excessive spin and higher trajectory than they'd like). Coming from 712 MB in my 7-PW, I don't feel like I've lost any workability...easy to flight down and draw, but I have a little trouble hitting an exaggerated fade. In the longer irons, I'm coming from 712 CB in 3-6...iBlade is remarkably more playable and a little longer. My two hangups were that they don't say Titleist on them and they're not forged. While I still do miss having a one-brand bag, I'm totally over the forged v. cast saga.

2. 716 MB - I'm big into the shape on Titleist irons. Even with my beloved iBlades in the bag, I do miss looking down and seeing that familiar shape. The lines are a little sharper than Mizuno, which I personally like.

3. 716 CB - Same reasons as above, plus putting tungsten in the heel and toe make it as forgiving as previous AP2 irons with the look, sound, and feel of a forged CB. A combo of 716 CB/MB is the only other iron set I'd consider moving to from iBlade. It's not that I think the Titleist irons are head-and-shoulders above other OEMs in performance...I just think they are all so similar that I'd always go with the shape/look that I like the best. However, as I said above, iBlade performed much better for me when I was in the process of getting new irons.

The iblade winning for sound and feel? I think you might be in the significant minority with that conclusion.

I voted MP5 but to be honest we are spoilt for choice with amazing irons from every manufacturer.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

• 3 weeks later...

I have a very simple way to determine the best players irons. I created a spread sheet that compares the offset of all the players irons. I did this back in 2016 so there are some older models. But, that said the Cobra KING MB irons have the least amount of offset and therefore the cleanest lines in my opinion. 94f78e76671060bc4c78cdb3494eb5cf.jpg

That's a cool little chart. It makes me feel good about my 0311T setup (5 to PW)

I'm curious where the AP2 would be on this chart.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Just went to a demo week during the RBC Heritage in Hilton Head and tried to hit everything I could.

I thought the AP2's were a good all around performer. Not the longest or straightest, but solid. I actually prefer the 714's over the 716's though. I did like the CB's, but I need a little more forgiveness.

The Apex Pro's were very nice. They were one of my favorite irons to hit. Could work the ball, they were longer than the AP2's, and I liked the look of them.

For whatever reason I just didn't like the JPX900 Tours. Finish rubbed me the wrong way, so we didn't get off on the right foot from the start, but I just wasn't impressed with them. Maybe I shouldn't have hit the MP's first, because I really liked them.

Ping iBlades were a nice surprise. Felt really good for a cast club and I could work the ball well with them.

TM P750 was OK. Pretty long, but I didn't like the feel of them as well as some of the others.

I was only able to hit the Srixon's into a net, but I must say they felt like butter and my numbers were excellent. Can't hit fat shots off a carpet though, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. ;)

The biggest surprise for me was the forged Cobra irons - both the blades and the CB's. Terrific feel, good forgiveness, long and workable. The blades had the C-Taper shafts and the CB's had the KBS FT shafts, which I drew quite a bit more than normal. I wanted to hit the CB's with either the KBS Tour or the C-Taper shafts but they didn't have any on hand. I think that would be a killer combo.

If I order a set, I would have to do something about the orange paint though..........:(

Yeh,i did the same in i tried all these iron and found that the Cobra Forged Tour ate everything else up real nice surprise the distance wow! The feel was soft so soft, worth a try for others

I have been looking for irons to replace my 2013 X-Forged, which I have been finding difficult. I have never been a TaylorMade fan and some of that has to do with the poor options available to lefthanders. I hit a few a the irons on my radar. My radar is for a forged head without upcharges for better steel shafts and little offset. I hit iBlades, Apex Pro 16, and the P770. What I didn't understand with the Apex Pro 16 is why they chose the stock stiff shaft as the PX 6.0. That is a very firm stiff shaft. What surprised me was the TM P770. Nice look. Good control. Nice distance. I am inclined to go TM. What a shock!

• 2 weeks later...

1. P770. I hit all of my choices and some others, these are what I spent my money on. I did put my preferred shafts in them (DGTI Black Onyx) and put leather grips on them along with doweling and installing sensicore but they're honest to God, the best irons I think I've ever hit in my life (mp33's are right there too).

2 Srixon Z765. A close second but the topline is what ended up being the difference. That and I was slightly less accurate with them.

3. Mizzy JPX 900 Tour. They're classic Mizzy and they're satin. What's not to love. Again, just a little less accurate for me than the P770 but close again.

Great to see a lot of people rating the srixon offerings. I have been using the 745's for a while now and don't want to change them.

Surprising to see a fair few titleist fan boys have gone to the srixon irons at my club. To be honest I like the titleist brand but don't rate the current offerings that highly.