2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

It depends on how the course got through the winter!

The courses I've played to date have been good.  It's raining in NE Wisco now, and it was 35 when I left the house with a high of 36.  Not sure what's happening elsewhere, but potential this will transition to a bit of snow late if the precip persists!  Next week looks good for weather. 

20 hours ago, The Milkman said:

How does turf respond to a late snow like this (doubt you consider this late)? Will be at Sand Valley on 5/3 and curios how quickly Wisconsin turf firms up and grows in?

I had one of the first May tee times a couple seasons ago and the course was just fine.  By Wisconsin standards this has been a pretty mild winter with snow, at least in SE Wisconsin.   As mentioned earlier, and very true,  it could be 30 degrees or 80 degrees when you are there .   The place drains amazingly well. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

2 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

I had one of the first May tee times a couple seasons ago and the course was just fine.  By Wisconsin standards this has been a pretty mild winter with snow, at least in SE Wisconsin.   As mentioned earlier, and very true,  it could be 30 degrees or 80 degrees when you are there .   The place drains amazingly well. 

Or 30 degrees when you tee off in the morning and 80 during your 2nd loop of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing The Bull on Sunday morning... First round of the year

• Like 1

WITB

Ping G430 10K 10.5º w/ Diamana 

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Driving Iron: Srixon U85 w/ Recoil

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

On 4/12/2024 at 8:05 AM, jwhite86 said:

Playing The Bull on Sunday morning... First round of the year

How did this go?  Weather was gorgeous yesterday.  I've never teed it up at The Bull but have heard mostly good things.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Weather was fantastic, the course was in great shape.  A couple of wet spots (9 fairway, but that's always wet).

Noticed some more changes that happened either over winter or early spring.  The trees on the left side of 8 fairway are no longer there, and the area in front of 18 green was chopped.  Didn't get the story on what happened there, but the second shot into 18 is a lot less intimidating.

18.jpg

WITB

12 minutes ago, ode said:

That was all marsh/wetland like area......assuming it's still unplayable if in it but the visual is no longer there, at least until it grows back🤔

It seems like maybe they're just replanting grass there...  it was bone dry and visually made the hole so much easier.  I had 202 to a front right pin and took dead aim where previously I have always played the left edge of the green

• Like 1

WITB

2 hours ago, jwhite86 said:

It seems like maybe they're just replanting grass there...  it was bone dry and visually made the hole so much easier.  I had 202 to a front right pin and took dead aim where previously I have always played the left edge of the green

Interesting!

Yeah......that is a bail left hole unless there is a good number....or try and  hit some sort of a fade to the front left.....typically have a hybrid or mid iron in and if the wind is in, fwy wood or layup just short.  Double cross on that hole can be fun🙃

7 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Our group of 4 Aussies is coming to Wisconsin/Michigan in September. We have a day spare in Milwaukee after playing Erin Hills and wondering what course we could play nearby. My shortlist is Brown Deer and Nagawaukee. Should we consider others like say The Bog?

Washington County should get a strong look but it is likely the furthest away from downtown Milwaukee, maybe 15 minutes north of Erin Hills. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

I'll be very curious what the masses will think of Lawsonia. The Links has and always will be the gem of the two courses, they have invested a ton of money into the bunkers and making it more playable with the reduction fescue, the woodlands they have done a ton of clearcutting of buckthorn and purchasing a separate greens mower and roller. I love the links but I think the woodlands is a very good test of one's game minus the awkward par 5's and the conditioning of the course will be all time this year.  

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 4/19/2024 at 4:44 PM, Chanceman said:

Yes I think both WC and the Bog are about 40 minutes away. Prefer closer in. So Naga or the Deer??

I played Naga a few years back and other than a few interesting holes it is nothing spectacular.  Never played Brown Deer but have heard good things in general.   Definitely closer to downtown. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

On 4/19/2024 at 8:10 AM, collje26 said:

I'll be very curious what the masses will think of Lawsonia. The Links has and always will be the gem of the two courses, they have invested a ton of money into the bunkers and making it more playable with the reduction fescue, the woodlands they have done a ton of clearcutting of buckthorn and purchasing a separate greens mower and roller. I love the links but I think the woodlands is a very good test of one's game minus the awkward par 5's and the conditioning of the course will be all time this year.  

Have they completed the bunker work for all the holes? I have had a hard time with the disconnect (on my mind) between the quality of the Links course and the layout that is so much fun when the bunkers were so terrible (rocks, inconsistent sand, etc.) 

That and the terrible lodging for stay and play weekends. Last time I played there they had done about half of the Links bunkers and were getting going on the Woodlands overhaul. 

Anyone played there yet this year who can chime in? Thanks in advance for a status update. 

13 minutes ago, Olde Maroon said:

Have they completed the bunker work for all the holes? I have had a hard time with the disconnect (on my mind) between the quality of the Links course and the layout that is so much fun when the bunkers were so terrible (rocks, inconsistent sand, etc.) 

That and the terrible lodging for stay and play weekends. Last time I played there they had done about half of the Links bunkers and were getting going on the Woodlands overhaul. 

Anyone played there yet this year who can chime in? Thanks in advance for a status update. 

All the bunkers on the back 9 have been complete. The front 9 is in progress and set to be done the end of this year. They have completely ripped up the cart path that wrapped around the 7th (box car) hole and resodded all of that. They also remodeled some of the rental properties but I agree they aren't great.

The relationship between oliphant golf, lawsonia, and the green lake conference center is a s*** show and is a story in itself. They're caught inbetween budget/cheap golf destination and uber luxury such as sand valley/lido, kohler etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

6 hours ago, collje26 said:

All the bunkers on the back 9 have been complete. The front 9 is in progress and set to be done the end of this year. They have completely ripped up the cart path that wrapped around the 7th (box car) hole and resodded all of that. They also remodeled some of the rental properties but I agree they aren't great.

The relationship between oliphant golf, lawsonia, and the green lake conference center is a s*** show and is a story in itself. They're caught inbetween budget/cheap golf destination and uber luxury such as sand valley/lido, kohler etc.

Yeah, the situation with Oliphant has been such a mess over the years. Lawsonia has always felt like it has such potential that is being squandered. Hopefully the renovation to the course will alleviate some of those issues. 

Last time we stayed there two years ago, our rental at the Moreau Lodge had hundreds of bugs/beetles in it, and they basically told us to go kick rocks when we brought it to their attention. We had been doing an annual stay and play up to that point for a decade but have not been back since. I also know they had some management changes (there used to be a guy named Jim who was amazing to worn with), and I have found the Oliphant crew to be rather disinterested in customer service.

Anyways, here's to hoping it gets back on track to earn that prized "top public course" ranking that seems consistent year after year. I appreciate your input on the status there. Take care and be well. 

7 hours ago, Olde Maroon said:

Yeah, the situation with Oliphant has been such a mess over the years. Lawsonia has always felt like it has such potential that is being squandered. Hopefully the renovation to the course will alleviate some of those issues. 

Last time we stayed there two years ago, our rental at the Moreau Lodge had hundreds of bugs/beetles in it, and they basically told us to go kick rocks when we brought it to their attention. We had been doing an annual stay and play up to that point for a decade but have not been back since. I also know they had some management changes (there used to be a guy named Jim who was amazing to worn with), and I have found the Oliphant crew to be rather disinterested in customer service.

Anyways, here's to hoping it gets back on track to earn that prized "top public course" ranking that seems consistent year after year. I appreciate your input on the status there. Take care and be well. 

I personally have never had an issue with anyone from Oliphant however the houses that they use for rentals are owned by the Green Lake conference center and I've had nothing but issues with them both from a golf perspective and someone who owns a house within the property.

It's a great property and I hope they figure out something with the lodging, the issues you bring up make me think about listing my house for rental stays but not sure if I want to deal with the headaches.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

16 hours ago, Olde Maroon said:

Woodlands overhaul. 

I'm going old man here.  I personally hope they leave the rentals rustic, it's part of of the history.  There are plenty of hotels/motels in Green Lake/Ripon area if you don't like it.  Stayed last summer at the Boarders Inn Ripon and it was totally fine.  Nobody in Wisconsin wants golf rates jacked through the roof like they have at our other destinations.  It's getting out of control.  Leave Lawsonia alone.  Keep it a hidden gem.  

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, nalaws2 said:

I'm going old man here.  I personally hope they leave the rentals rustic, it's part of of the history.  There are plenty of hotels/motels in Green Lake/Ripon area if you don't like it.  Stayed last summer at the Boarders Inn Ripon and it was totally fine.  Nobody in Wisconsin wants golf rates jacked through the roof like they have at our other destinations.  It's getting out of control.  Leave Lawsonia alone.  Keep it a hidden gem.  

There is a balance between rustic rentals (which I am all for, as I care about golf, not staying in a fancy suite) and having literally hundreds of bugs who apparently booked the rental for the same weekend. Hell, I don't even need a TV, but I sure as hell don't want to wake up with bugs crawling on me. 

And doing basic course maintenance should absolutely be expected, so it's good that they are taking the time to do that. 

I don't see either of these things in conflict with keeping Lawsonia as a hidden gem. That's the exact reason we made it an annual destination for a decade, and we don't want that to change. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nalaws2 said:

I'm with you, but the pre-covid prices are over.  I used to play the Links upwards to a dozen times per year, get out after twilight and felt like I was a thief paying what I did! It took me a minute but I fell in love with the place over time.  It's now maybe 1-2 rounds a year.  I don't know how they were doing financially prior to the boom, but I suspect barely hanging on, so it's a good thing more money is coming in to keep this great track thriving.  I hope there is a leveling off at some point..🤞for a twilight rate again!

2 hours ago, Olde Maroon said:

There is a balance between rustic rentals (which I am all for, as I care about golf, not staying in a fancy suite) and having literally hundreds of bugs who apparently booked the rental for the same weekend. Hell, I don't even need a TV, but I sure as hell don't want to wake up with bugs crawling on me. 

And doing basic course maintenance should absolutely be expected, so it's good that they are taking the time to do that. 

I don't see either of these things in conflict with keeping Lawsonia as a hidden gem. That's the exact reason we made it an annual destination for a decade, and we don't want that to change. 

It's not a hidden gem anymore once the magazine listed them in the rankings, although I don't think it was ever hidden, maybe out of the way.  I'm not sure what the plan is for accomodations, but agree bugs are no bueno.  It's interesting as Green Lake appears to be a resort area with a bunch of FIBS coming during the warmer months....are there not enough decent accomodations for the golfers too🤔.  I don't see new builds being an option, maybe a bunch of renovations would suffice?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ode said:

I'm with you, but the pre-covid prices are over.  I used to play the Links upwards to a dozen times per year, get out after twilight and felt like I was a thief paying what I did! It took me a minute but I fell in love with the place over time.  It's now maybe 1-2 rounds a year.  I don't know how they were doing financially prior to the boom, but I suspect barely hanging on, so it's a good thing more money is coming in to keep this great track thriving.  I hope there is a leveling off at some point..🤞for a twilight rate again!

It's not a hidden gem anymore once the magazine listed them in the rankings, although I don't think it was ever hidden, maybe out of the way.  I'm not sure what the plan is for accomodations, but agree bugs are no bueno.  It's interesting as Green Lake appears to be a resort area with a bunch of FIBS coming during the warmer months....are there not enough decent accomodations for the golfers too🤔.  I don't see new builds being an option, maybe a bunch of renovations would suffice?

If you ever want to get out and play let me know. Members are able to get discounts for their "guests" which is pretty significant reduction in price. Green lake is so interesting because down the road Craig Culver and Matt Lafleur have houses and then across the road there's a trailer park and in between that is a top 100 public course in the US.

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

3 hours ago, collje26 said:

If you ever want to get out and play let me know. Members are able to get discounts for their "guests" which is pretty significant reduction in price. Green lake is so interesting because down the road Craig Culver and Matt Lafleur have houses and then across the road there's a trailer park and in between that is a top 100 public course in the US.

It is an interesting area for sure.  I played Tuscumbia for the first time  last year and thought what a great piece of land for a course.  Reminded me of Brown Deer in that respect....overall liked the layout but damn those tall majestic trees.  And the greens😞.  If they could remove 50% or more of the trees they could really have something IMO!  Driving through the area it is a mix of the resort/lake, neighborhood, and then as you said trailer park.  I played late last year with a member as we were both walking and singles and decided may as well enjoy the walk together.  He is PGA rules official and former college basketball ref and pointed out where abouts Lafleur built a home.  Those homes😍🤑!

Played the Irish on Saturday. Course was in great shape after the winter.  My playing partners played the Straits the day before. also said it was in great shape.  Greens were a little sandy, but it's setting up to be a great season

• Like 4

WITB

On 4/16/2024 at 11:23 PM, Chanceman said:

Our group of 4 Aussies is coming to Wisconsin/Michigan in September. We have a day spare in Milwaukee after playing Erin Hills and wondering what course we could play nearby. My shortlist is Brown Deer and Nagawaukee. Should we consider others like say The Bog?

Brown Deer is a hard pass, Nagawaukee is a solid muni course and a lot more hole variety than Brown Deer with some good views of Pewaukee Lake. 

Played Black Wolf Run River course today for the first time and wow such a cool track and great scenery. Course was in good shape. Greens were pretty slow but had a blast. 

WI golf is very underrated as someone coming from Oregon. Looking forward to getting out here a few more times this year to check some more top 100 courses off the list. It’s pretty impressive how many top 100 courses there are in both Oregon and Wisconsin. 

• Like 4

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though