grip to much in the palms?

so, my gloves tend to wear out in the palm (not quickly, over a number of rounds and practice sessions), and today, after a long practice session without wearing a glove, I have a nice dime sized blister in the palm of my hand.

without trying to explain exactly where the spot is, is this wear showing me that I need to put the grip more in my fingers? I've been trying to get it more in the fingers, but I feel like I don't have enough club in my hands to even control where the club goes when I do this.

thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, my gloves tend to wear out in the palm (not quickly, over a number of rounds and practice sessions), and today, after a long practice session without wearing a glove, I have a nice dime sized blister in the palm of my hand.

This is the classic example of having the grip too much in the palm. The grip is moving around and is not secure, which is why you got a blister and why you wear the glove out in the palm pad area.

I used to have the same issue but now that I have a proper grip, my gloves get stiff and slick before they ever wear out and there are no signs of wear at all in the palm pad area.

this is pissing me off. when I put the grip in my fingers I really can't control the club at all. it flails around and gets completely off plain, especially at the top. then my release gets flippy and out of control.

but I suppose its the correct way to do things, so I'll commit to it. . .especially since I played a round today and my hand is almost bleeding.

I can't even picture where on your palm you'd get a blister -- so, yeah, I'd say your grip isn't as it should be.

(Why don't you tell us exactly where the blister is just anyway? It might help.)

Once you get the grip more in the fingers, you'll see that your distance inproves, as you can really release the club when it's in your fingers.

/< / /2 /<

I'm gonna guess that it's on the meat part of the palm below the pinky. This happens to me all the time to. I also can't seem to get control of the club when I put the grip in the fingers, how do you solve that or should it just require getting used to? It almost feels like I can't turn the club head over because and the actual result is a total block and slice to my left (i'm a lefty).

I'm gonna guess that it's on the meat part of the palm below the pinky. This happens to me all the time to. I also can't seem to get control of the club when I put the grip in the fingers, how do you solve that or should it just require getting used to? It almost feels like I can't turn the club head over because and the actual result is a total block and slice to my left (i'm a lefty).

thats exactly where it is. actually, I hit the ball really well, and have no problem releasing the club. I also don't lack in swing speed (average 105 with my on-course slow and easy swing, top out at 120). literally the only draw back is the hole in my palm and in my glove.

but this is evidence that something isn't right, so I'm going to fix it.

I'm gonna guess that it's on the meat part of the palm below the pinky.

So, that I understand, are you talking about JUST below the pinky, like on the palm where the pinky meets the palm? Or, are you talking about the area of the palm between the pinky and the wrist, closer to the wrist?

I have developed a callous on my palm where my pinky meets my palm. I think my grip is good. The last three finger in the top hand really hold the club, AND part of the callous might be from the way my glove fits. So, if the blister is there, then I'd say that's "ok."

If it's more toward the wrist (on that "line"), then maybe your grip is good, but it's way too tight, and your glove might not fit well.

Just don't know...

/< / /2 /<

Yeah I think this depends a great deal on whether you lean to a very strong or very week grip. The answer shouldnt just be hold the club more in your fingers. Get a teaching pro at your range to take a look at it for a few seconds and they should be able to tell you what you are doing wrong. Having part of the grip in your palm is not necessarily bad - although not necessarily good either...

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

So, that I understand, are you talking about JUST below the pinky, like on the palm where the pinky meets the palm? Or, are you talking about the area of the palm between the pinky and the wrist, closer to the wrist?

If it's more toward the wrist (on that "line"), then maybe your grip is good, but it's way too tight, and your glove might not fit well.

Just don't know...

/< / /2 /<

It's the big meat part closer to the wrist. It's not that the glove doesn't fits well, it's more of the butt end rubbing it and wearing the golve down.

I tend to go wtih a more neutral grip. . .I fade a weak grip, and a strong grip makes it really hard to set my wrists at the top without cupping.

I actually saw a video that said that a grip ending more in the pinky is for more distance, while a grip ending more in the palm below the pinky is for more control. Personally, I get plenty of distance and have no desire to sacrifice control. I'm going to the range today to develop a new grip. . .we'll see how it goes.

I figured it out! I realized why I don't have any problems anywhere else, but I wear a hole in my glove. I was holding the butt of the grip inside my palm instead of letting the grip go through my fingers. I started doing that, and even without a glove on (I still have a huge hole in my hand) it didn't wear on the blister. not to mention the club feels less flippy (more grip in my hands), and I feel like I have more control.

I'm still going to get it more in my fingers, but I'm not going to have to go through the huge overhaul I thought I needed.

I figured it out! I realized why I don't have any problems anywhere else, but I wear a hole in my glove. I was holding the butt of the grip inside my palm instead of letting the grip go through my fingers. I started doing that, and even without a glove on (I still have a huge hole in my hand) it didn't wear on the blister. not to mention the club feels less flippy (more grip in my hands), and I feel like I have more control.

I'm still going to get it more in my fingers, but I'm not going to have to go through the huge overhaul I thought I needed.

Do I understand this to mean that you were holding the club too far off the end of the grip, such that none of the butt of the grip could be seen out the back of your hand?

If this is right, then yeah, you'll find all kinds of things (ball control, the feeling of controling the club, etc.) get better when you choke up some on the club.

I always have to remind myself that all of the great players are choked down on the club some -- and that they do this for a reason.

/< / /2 /<

One more thing (and this is going to sound like a Holiday Inn commercial, but...) -- I am no pro, but I DID just read Ben Hogan's "Five Lessons," and, man, is that little book ever spot-on!

Hogan's first "lesson" is the grip. Through the illustrations and excellent desciptions, Hogan explains that when the left (top) hand grip is taken properly on the club, you should be able to hold the club out in front of (parallel to the ground) with just the meaty pad of the base of your thumb and your index finger -- without any other fingers touching the club. Now, I'd have to try it to see if it's possible to do this with the butt end of the club well inside of the hand -- but I'd at least think it would be a lot harder to do than if the butt of the club ran fully under the pad of the thumb and out the back of the hand (as it should).

I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to get back to basics, or who's interested in seeing what you didn't realize you didn't know about your swing. Even the grip portion of the book was a big help to me.

/< / /2 /<

Do I understand this to mean that you were holding the club too far off the end of the grip, such that none of the butt of the grip could be seen out the back of your hand?

If this is right, then yeah, you'll find all kinds of things (ball control, the feeling of controling the club, etc.) get better when you choke up some on the club.

I always have to remind myself that all of the great players are choked down on the club some -- and that they do this for a reason.

/< / /2 /<

precisely.

looks like I need to look into the hogan fella. . .did he win some tournaments or something?

for the record, I'm joking. but you knew that, didn't you?