2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Southern Pines, Mid Pines, Pine Needles rankings?

I need some advice, I’ll be in the Pinehurst area in early August and if I only have time to play 2 of the 3 courses, where do they rank for you guys? 

I will be playing Tot Hill Farm, Tobacco Road, Pinehurst 1/3, etc. but I’m trying to decide where else to play within an hours drive of the area.

Southern Pines, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Country Club of Whispering Pines, other suggestions or connections someone could help me out with?

Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, jordanapel said:

I need some advice, I’ll be in the Pinehurst area in early August and if I only have time to play 2 of the 3 courses, where do they rank for you guys? 

I will be playing Tot Hill Farm, Tobacco Road, Pinehurst 1/3, etc. but I’m trying to decide where else to play within an hours drive of the area.

Southern Pines, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Country Club of Whispering Pines, other suggestions or connections someone could help me out with?

Thanks! 

I'd go with Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Tobacco Road...Don't really care for the other courses you named

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Was there last year and played all 4.  I'd rank it in two different ways:

Best (conditions, routing, strategy)

1) Mid Pines

2) Pine Needles

3) Tobacco Road

4) Southern Pines

"Most Fun"

1) Tobacco Road - easily the most fun I've had on a golf course...ever

2) Mid Pines

3) Southern Pines

4) Pine Needles - I loved the course, but it REALLY kicked my a**

Funny story - my profile picture was taken at the bottom of Tobacco Road #11:

image.png.c819d156fb2e4dc4edbe0b6535002f5c.png

image.png.db4ae788fb0dbc58beeb751dcf7ea39a.png

I'd put up these 4 against any at Pinehurst (outside of #2, obv), although I haven't played #10 yet. 

Edited by ChrisATL
  • Like 2

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged Tec Black 5-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Haywood Signature Wedges (Black) - 50 / 54 / 58

Putter:  Scotty Newport 2

Why so glum on Southern Pines? I’m playing it in early June…

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

2 hours ago, gmayo11 said:

1. Mid Pines

2. Pine Needles

3. Southern Pines

But for me they are all close.  Mid Pines is my clear favorite, but I can go back and forth on PN and SP depending on the experience I want.  Based on the others you are playing, I would go with my order.

this would be my lineup as well - great and fun courses. Want to go back!

Mid Pines

Southern Pines

Pine Needles 

Mid Pines felt like a religious experience to me, very special golf course. Southern is more rugged and raw, its got a lot of charm.  Pine Needles was great as well but it just felt me redundant than the other two by the middle of the round. 

• Like 1

Tour Issue 8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Ventus Red 6s (RIP)

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ AutoFlex 505xx
Ping G430 LST 3 Wood w/ GD AD-HD 7s
19* Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid w/ Tensei Pro White 90s
22* Ping G430 w/ Aldila NV2KXV Orange 85s 
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Accra i-Series 115
Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3 55* and 59*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

10 minutes ago, BombinJim said:

Why so glum on Southern Pines? I’m playing it in early June…

Southern Pines is far and away the best of the three, it just doesn’t get the “influencer bump” so people go into playing the three with a pre-conceived notion that it’s the worst. For the average golfer it is a better golf course than Pinehurst No. 2. I’ve been fortunate enough to have played 16 of the top 100 courses in the world so I’m a bit of a snob, but I could play Southern Pines for the rest of my life and not get bored. There is variety in the topography, the routing of the holes/hazards presented, and a lot of great chances for risk/reward type shots. The property and vistas are just gorgeous. 

Pine Needles is interesting until about hole 11. Holes 14-17 are uninspiring, compartmentalized, boring, and placed between residential properties which IMO always detract from a pure golf experience. 18 is a great finishing hole down the hill. 

Mid-Pines has a similar issue as Pine Needles in my mind in the middle of the round, as I don’t think the stretch from 8-14 is very interesting or captivating. It doesn’t give those sweeping vistas of the property like Southern Pines does, which has nothing to do with the golf sure, but it’s something I prefer. 

If I had to rank them: Southern Pines, Mid-Pines, Pine Needles. 

I like Strantz and enjoyed Tobacco Road, but anyone who prioritizes playing Tobacco Road and leaves the Pinehurst area without playing Southern Pines could probably use a break from Instagram.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

[sign here]

1 hour ago, italianstallion said:

Southern Pines is far and away the best of the three, it just doesn’t get the “influencer bump” so people go into playing the three with a pre-conceived notion that it’s the worst. For the average golfer it is a better golf course than Pinehurst No. 2.

Southern Pines absolutely! I think it’s far and away the most memorable course from my last trip. It’s incredible. It seems like a bit of a dump as you drive in, but the course is just amazing. 

Tobacco Road is fun - if you play with someone who has been there before. But southern pines is a must in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, italianstallion said:

Southern Pines is far and away the best of the three, it just doesn’t get the “influencer bump” so people go into playing the three with a pre-conceived notion that it’s the worst. For the average golfer it is a better golf course than Pinehurst No. 2. I’ve been fortunate enough to have played 16 of the top 100 courses in the world so I’m a bit of a snob, but I could play Southern Pines for the rest of my life and not get bored. There is variety in the topography, the routing of the holes/hazards presented, and a lot of great chances for risk/reward type shots. The property and vistas are just gorgeous. 

Pine Needles is interesting until about hole 11. Holes 14-17 are uninspiring, compartmentalized, boring, and placed between residential properties which IMO always detract from a pure golf experience. 18 is a great finishing hole down the hill. 

Mid-Pines has a similar issue as Pine Needles in my mind in the middle of the round, as I don’t think the stretch from 8-14 is very interesting or captivating. It doesn’t give those sweeping vistas of the property like Southern Pines does, which has nothing to do with the golf sure, but it’s something I prefer. 

If I had to rank them: Southern Pines, Mid-Pines, Pine Needles. 

I like Strantz and enjoyed Tobacco Road, but anyone who prioritizes playing Tobacco Road and leaves the Pinehurst area without playing Southern Pines could probably use a break from Instagram.

Thank you for the detailed response. I’m really looking forward to Southern Pines. I’ve played number 2 three times over the years, 1, 3, 4, 5, 8 as well. Played Mid pines and Forest Creek north & south. Playing Tobacco Road, FC north & south, and finishing off with Southern Pines this time!

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I played Tobacco Road in August last year and the no see um flies were out of control so bring bug spray and ear plugs. I'm not kidding.

You cannot go wrong with either PN, MP or SP. They're all great course. PN is the more polished of the 3 with MP close behind. SP is a little more rugged looking but not in a bad way.

SP has 4 tough par 3s, they're classic.

Don't get all the love for Southern Pines. It's fine but facilities are the worst of the 3 mentioned and doesn't feel on the same level to Pine needles or Mid pines.  Even after the renovation it's just ok. It's become so overpriced as well. I'd pay 250 all day long for pine needles but 150 for southern pines no thanks.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2024 at 10:15 PM, Drwoods2017 said:

Don't get all the love for Southern Pines. It's fine but facilities are the worst of the 3 mentioned and doesn't feel on the same level to Pine needles or Mid pines.  Even after the renovation it's just ok. It's become so overpriced as well. I'd pay 250 all day long for pine needles but 150 for southern pines no thanks.

Yeah the clubhouse and facilities aren’t good, but we’re talking golf courses not best clubhouses. Even still, it’s not like Mid Pines and Pine Needles facilities aren’t also in the same ballpark. They’re all old and dated and look like shanty’s compared to what you get at Pinehurst. 

Any details on what makes the golf course “just okay?” 

• Like 1

[sign here]

On 5/26/2024 at 7:39 AM, italianstallion said:

Yeah the clubhouse and facilities aren’t good, but we’re talking golf courses not best clubhouses. Even still, it’s not like Mid Pines and Pine Needles facilities aren’t also in the same ballpark. They’re all old and dated and look like shanty’s compared to what you get at Pinehurst. 

I just think its stuck in between being what it was and what it wants to be.  Happens with redesigns from time to time. I would be a lot more interesting if they brought back the lost 9 because to me that feels like a better routing. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 7:39 AM, italianstallion said:

I think a lot of the "hate" Southern Pines gets when being compared to the other two courses is unfortunately from people who lump things like the clubhouse, the grill room, and/ or the driving range into their idea of what the golf course is.  If that can be separated out the other aspect I've heard is that the "scale" of Southern Pines isn't on the same level as the other two courses. While that's true to a degree, it's clearly a smaller property, I think the work they've done there to open things up, to show the land movement across the property, and the willingness to be a little more rugged in terms of the overall look and feel of the course put it right on par with the other two while actually making it stand on it's own (at least in terms of look and feel).  That's what makes this argument so much fun.  It's essentially about subtle differences and personal preference.  

• Like 2

Tour Issue 8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Ventus Red 6s (RIP)

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ AutoFlex 505xx
Ping G430 LST 3 Wood w/ GD AD-HD 7s
19* Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid w/ Tensei Pro White 90s
22* Ping G430 w/ Aldila NV2KXV Orange 85s 
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Accra i-Series 115
Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3 55* and 59*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

1 hour ago, coghillcutter said:

I think a lot of the "hate" Southern Pines gets when being compared to the other two courses is unfortunately from people who lump things like the clubhouse, the grill room, and/ or the driving range into their idea of what the golf course is.  If that can be separated out the other aspect I've heard is that the "scale" of Southern Pines isn't on the same level as the other two courses. While that's true to a degree, it's clearly a smaller property, I think the work they've done there to open things up, to show the land movement across the property, and the willingness to be a little more rugged in terms of the overall look and feel of the course put it right on par with the other two while actually making it stand on it's own (at least in terms of look and feel).  That's what makes this argument so much fun.  It's essentially about subtle differences and personal preference.  

What's funny is by them opening things up at Southern Pines I felt that gives that course the better scale of the three. To your point it gives perspective of the land movement and has the player looking ahead across to other holes in anticipation. The Pine Needles and Mid-Pines properties don't have that same level of scale across the whole property, but they do have good scale for many of the individual holes (especially at Pine Needles).

You're right, I think it does make for good debate and I will defend Southern Pines' place at the top to the death.

• Like 2

[sign here]

So much depends on what you like in your golf courses.  Pine Needles is the closest you're going to get to a championship caliber golf course of the three. Southern Pines, now that the renovations have had a season to grow in, is an amazing walk and 18 excellent holes with good variety - and now the putting course is open which is a nice extra at the end of the round.  But it's true that the driving range and clubhouse are ready for an update.  Mid Pines also has some great holes and is a pretty easy walk, and playing back to the Inn and having the back porch to sit out on after the round gives that old school, 1920's resort feel.  I've had a lot of very wet rounds at Mid Pines, not sure if they've tinkered with the drainage a bit in recent years.

At any rate, they're all great.  If I was picking a golf course of the three to play over and over, it would be a tough call for me between Pine Needles and Southern Pines.  But I prefer them both to Mid Pines.  You aren't going to go wrong with any of them, though.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade SIM 18*, AD-IZ 7x

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S, +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

On 5/24/2024 at 10:09 AM, jordanapel said:

I’m trying to decide where else to play within an hours drive of the area.

I dont know where you are starting your trip but dont sleep on some of the options in the Raleigh area - if you're driving from the North. Its been a few years since I was there but I'd put the NC State course right up there with most of the non #2 options in PH. Fun layout, great food/bar upstairs - good way to ease into a trip.

OG SIM 10.5 - Mitsubishi Vanquish 5x

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I’d spend a full day at Tobacco.  As someone stated earlier, the most fun I’ve ever had on a golf course time after time.  I can’t recall every hole from #2, #4, or any of the highly rated courses I’ve played in the US or abroad but can run through every hole at Tobacco.  Visual trickery but very playable for the low to mid cap after seeing it once.  If you are an “everything  in front of you” golfer it’s not the one.  Was lucky play a few dawn to dusk days there before the popularity fully exploded.

I enjoyed playing the Pinehurst courses my first trip to the area.  My second i played no Pinehurst courses and will be the same next trip.  Enjoyed Pine Needles and Talamore at the rates when I last visited.  

I would have to spend a full day at Tot after the renovations based on what I’ve scene.  Hope to play as many of the Strantz tracks as i can.

• Like 2

I agree with the above. Tobacco Road almost isn't even golf, its just a pure experience! I loved every second of it. Both times we have gone, we played 36 holes. You get a play it again rate, and it really does help to see it a few times to know where you can and can't go. As for the others in the Southern Pines area, we loved Pine Needles and Mid Pines. Southern Pines itself seemed a bit unfinished... you could tell that it was once an awesome course, the bones are there, but it just seemed a bit sloppy and unfinished when we played it last time. The clubhouse, etc. didn't help with that secondary feel. I think maybe you need to know the history, etc. to truly appreciate it. It was a fun play, but just seemed somewhat secondary to the other big ones in the area. Others we enjoyed in the area included Mid South, Talamore, Pinewild. Not on the level of Pine Needles or Mid Pines, but still decent golf courses worth a play.

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

Don't miss Mid Pines, especially if you enjoy walking.  It's a special place.

My ranking of courses I've played in the area:

1. Dormie Club

2. Mid Pines

(two of my top 5 favorite courses)

big gap 

3. Tot Hill Farm

4. Southern Pines

5. Pine Needles

6. Lonnie Poole

7. Talamore

The Instagram course:

8. Tobacco Road 

• Like 2

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Tobacco Road is the very definition of a love it or hate it course.  If you enjoy Strantz's mind games, it's a fun challenge and surprisingly possible to score well.

I haven't played Southern Pines since the renovation but it is one of my favorite courses in the world.  It's unfortunate that the days of the $30 afternoon round are long gone, but I love the layout.  Can't wait to get back.

Mid Pines is simply stunning.  It's not the longest or most difficult course, but the greens will keep you focused.  

Pine Needles is the stoutest challenge of them all.  

If I'm planning a single trip to the area, I'm playing all four and skipping the other ones on your list.  Definitely dumping #1 and #3.  I've heard Tot Hill is coming back but it was in really rough shape in recent years.

• Like 1