2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Brookfield Country Cub, Roswell GA

daverain1

I'm going to Roswell Georgia next month and looking for a club. I'm a member at Yale, love old school courses like Yale, Bethpage Black. My kids are grown and wife plays tennis, looking for golf mainly, not social, pool, kids programs. I hear good things about Rivermont, but not much for wife there. I also looked at CC of Roswell but too steep for 1 weekend golfer. I picture I'd be subsidizing a lot of families.

How's the Roswell course? Is it a golfers club or social club? The Clubcorp connection seems nice with opportunity to play elsewhere, but I've also heard there's negatives like overcrowded courses.

Any advice/ reviews are appreciated. Also, if anyone knows what the swim/tennis only memberships run in the Roswell area, it may make sense for us to join two clubs. My area doesn't have any amenities

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at polo golf club in cumming (clubcorp).

Brookfield is a solid option. I personally don't like the golf course as it's really short and quirky. Pretty sure the greens are new-ish.

Good community and can't beat the clubcorp network of courses. There are only a few courses in the network that are very crowded; I avoid like the plague (Windermere/laurel springs).

Looked at it back in Dec. Great clubhouse (went thru renovation recently). Did NOT like the course. front 9 - all the holes were next to each other. lot of up-and-downs, making it difficult to walk. Was told over 400+ members at the time, not including other non-brookfield clubcorp members. Range is fairly small. Looks like fairly fun social club but for golf, I didn't really care for the layout and walking restriction on Saturday was a dealbreaker for me.

CCR/CCS (more expensive), Horseshoe, Rivermont would be your options in Roswell (or near) area.

Roswell:

Horseshoe bend: stuffy atmosphere - very nice - larger initiation

CCR: good people - true country club - don't like golf course

Brookfield: already mentioned

Rivermont: golf golf golf

Country club of south - true country club - clubcorp - might be higher initiation

Alpharetta:

Crooked creek - nice facilities

White columns - nice facilities - clubcorp

Atlanta national - dicks - clubcorp

Manor - great everything - clubcorp

Golf club of Ga - top notch facilities

OTHER:

Berkeley hills - prob ~30 min drive - pool/tennis/great golf - super active golf - low initiation

Due to traffic, your best club choices will likely be driven by the specific area of Roswell that you choose to live in (unless your choice of club is going to determine where you live). If you live west of 400 and join a club east of 400 (or vice versa), you are probably looking at a 30+ minute commute to the club under the best of circumstances.

If you live west of 400, Brookfield and any of the Alpharetta/Milton courses west of 400 (Manor, Atlanta National, White Columns, etc.) will be your best choices.

If you live east of 400, Rivermont, Horseshoe Bend, CC of Roswell, and CC of the South are nice options.

We are members at CCR and my wife plays tennis too. She loves the tennis and both her ALTA and USTA teams are awesome. The MGA for golf is very active with tuesday night mens league and tournaments once a month, they are very welcoming. There are some great social events too.

Yes there is a very family friendly atmosphere, which may not be what you are looking for, but the people are really great, its not stuffy at all. The food is awesome, chef greg has done a great job in the kitchen.

We really like it there. Also for golf, even with almost 350 golf members, you can always get on and generally get a round in at 4 hours. The course is in great shape and the greens are amazing.

Brookfield is a solid option. I personally don't like the golf course as it's really short and quirky. Pretty sure the greens are new-ish.

Good community and can't beat the clubcorp network of courses. There are only a few courses in the network that are very crowded; I avoid like the plague (Windermere/laurel springs).

I think you are confusing Laurel with Olde Atlanta. I left Windermere/OA for reasons you are likely inferring for Laurel and could not be happier. The course is in way better shape than the former and a slow day is 4hrs, not 5+...

I think you are confusing Laurel with Olde Atlanta. I left Windermere/OA for reasons you are likely inferring for Laurel and could not be happier. The course is in way better shape than the former and a slow day is 4hrs, not 5+...

Nah, everytime I play laurel, I want to leave.

Former member of Rivermont here. I am a HUGE fan of the course. I let my membership go because I get bored with one course and at the time, I was traveling too much to reap the benefits of a club.

With that said, if you don't mind playing one course, JOIN RIVERMONT!!! Much better course than CCR and Brookfield. The wife will be just fine because Atlanta is the Mecca of amateur tennis and she will end up joining an ALTA team in your neighborhood or a close-by neighborhood anyway. Trust me!!!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

My club has been officially dogged... Dang... Time to pack up my toys and go home!

My club has been officially dogged... Dang... Time to pack up my toys and go home!

It's a really nice place. Didn't mean to be negative. I've played it 5-6 times and that's just been my experience. 4.5 hour rounds.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the help. You were right about wife hooking up with public tennis, she's on four teams already and no memberships. I punted on joining a club. Joined Player's club for $35/month and paying $30 a round ($16 after 11:00 am) at Trophy club and Bradshaw Farms. I've found I can get any tee time I want just 2-3 days out, courses are solid. Playing about 6 times a month, cost is less than $200/month. Its tough to justify paying twice that plus cart fees, trail fees, food minimums for just a single member. That's not to throw shade on members, but I wouldn't benefit from the social and family aspects like others might. My wife won't go to dinner at a club with 100 great restaurants in the Roswell/Alpharetta area.

I played Rivermont, nice track but not "oh wow!" Busy club also, and was worried about competition for tee times as a single, and getting in with established cliques.

I was out a Roswell CC before I had a kid and daycare replaced my membership fee. But I enjoyed it. As far as overall amenities it worked out well for me and my wife, our neighborhood didn't have a pool or clubhouse. Would I go back, I don't think that I will only because I have joined Sea Island since.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help. You were right about wife hooking up with public tennis, she's on four teams already and no memberships. I punted on joining a club. Joined Player's club for $35/month and paying $30 a round ($16 after 11:00 am) at Trophy club and Bradshaw Farms. I've found I can get any tee time I want just 2-3 days out, courses are solid. Playing about 6 times a month, cost is less than $200/month. Its tough to justify paying twice that plus cart fees, trail fees, food minimums for just a single member. That's not to throw shade on members, but I wouldn't benefit from the social and family aspects like others might. My wife won't go to dinner at a club with 100 great restaurants in the Roswell/Alpharetta area.

I played Rivermont, nice track but not "oh wow!" Busy club also, and was worried about competition for tee times as a single, and getting in with established cliques.

I'm a Players club member as well. You just can't beat that deal, it's unheard of. You forgot to mention the free range balls and 2 free beers with $16 rounds and 1 free beer for $30 rounds.

Unless things have improved, trophy club is anything but solid. Last time I played there they really let that place go. Add in some goof ball holes like 4,5 and those stupid downhill pars 4s on the back and that place is meh....

That said if you are playing 6 times a month for under $200, with Bradshaw included + some free beers and balls, that's a good deal.

Unless things have improved, trophy club is anything but solid. Last time I played there they really let that place go. Add in some goof ball holes like 4,5 and those stupid downhill pars 4s on the back and that place is meh....

That said if you are playing 6 times a month for under $200, with Bradshaw included + some free beers and balls, that's a good deal.

Bradshaw is a nice track, especially in prime season. The others however, are dumps.

I hardly ever play at Trophy Club anymore. That place went way down hill. The course is just ok and it's always really packed. Hard to play a round there under 5 hours. I just stick to Bradshaw.

• 3 weeks later...

I live just outside of Roswell. I joined Crooked Creek for trial membership for a year. 189 a month tee times after noon. They ended up letting me play whenever I wanted though. I dropped my membership as things started going downhill and then they went bankrupt/sold or whatever happened. It seems Crooked Creek will remain, but they do not have tennis or a pool with Milton being sold. It will be a solid offering for a golf only membership though.

I am a member of the player's club as well. The problem is the practice facilities at Bradshaw and Trophy are substandard. The cost savings is amazing over anything else.

Your options will/are....stay players club, but you'll need to practice somewhere else to make it worthwhile.

Crooked Creek, super solid golf course. Hopefully new owners will get in back in good shape.

Atlanta National. Great practice, course normally in good shape, but a bit steep to be just a golf facility.

Echelon.....No pool but good group of members playing weekends, semi-private. Super tough track. They do have tennis. Always in good shape. I think I was told 225 a month there or something similar, so a pretty good deal.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 4 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Practice? We're talking about Practice? Coming from CT, practice facility means a driving range and a putting green. Hitting a bucket to warm up is a luxury for me.

Thanks for the tip on Echelon, I've heard wonderful things. Can you walk there, I miss walking and have been playing River Pines some for that reason alone? I'll look into it in the spring, but would love to hear about courses in Roswell/Alpharetta area that support walking (besides River Pines and Rivermont).

The front is fine to walk, but once you hit 12, 13, 14 the elevation changes are sooooo severe I wouldn't do it.The rest of the back nine isn't too bad.

• GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I used to walk Echelon at age 50+ but it is not for the faint of heart. First time I walked up par 5 14th (508yd uphill 100+ feet) had to sit down for 20 minutes before I continued. You have to get used to walking it, only for the hearty soul. There is a reason why they use gas carts, the electric ones would fail on the back nine.

Echelon membership is small initiation fee and $225/mo plus cart @ $20/round, unlimited range use. Descent chipping/wedge area, plenty of grass tees, few targets for distance work and downhill.

I don't think the deal has closed, but the expected owner of Crooked Creek currently owns Woodmont CC in Cherokee County (~20 mins from Crooked Creek). I don't know their membership plans, but perhaps they might offer some sort of membership that offers access to both clubs.

Did this come from a good source? I have not heard anything about Crooked Creek recently other than Milton being spun off and sold to the city to make a park.

I don't think the deal has closed, but the expected owner of Crooked Creek currently owns Woodmont CC in Cherokee County (~20 mins from Crooked Creek). I don't know their membership plans, but perhaps they might offer some sort of membership that offers access to both clubs.

Did this come from a good source? I have not heard anything about Crooked Creek recently other than Milton being spun off and sold to the city to make a park.

Yes. The Crooked Creek acquisition is still being negotiated, but the company looking to acquire Crooked Creek is the same company that sold Milton CC to the city, and they also own Woodmont.

Triumph owns/owned Milton CC, they created Milton Interests LLC to sell Milton CC to the city.

Triumph also owns Heritage along with Woodmont in the Atlanta area. With Crooked Creek not having pool or tennis facilities I could see them offering a stand alone golf membership to crooked and also offering a Joint membership the way club corp does with The Manor, ATL Natnl, and White Columns. If Crooked had their own tennis and pool facilities I wouldn't think there is much of a chance of them offering this since they don't between Heritage and Woodmont, although they are much farther apart than Woodmont and Crooked)