2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tad Moore Putters

bazinoz

I'm no a Scotty fan boi but would possibly classify myself as a TADpole(WTF?!?)

I won my first one over at Oakmont, hadn't heard of Tad at the time and asked Bob Ford if he was one of their members as they had a few that designed and built one-offs for certain members(Bob actually used one in his second PGA Championship, and he made the cut so I'm guessing that he made some putts, lol). As Classy as he is, he looked at me like "WTF" and said no, and later told me Tad's story.

Regarding the "Barn Find" issues, I think that Rob lives in the friggin barn

I love both the TM-6 and Tour Blade.

They all have an incredible feel!

The Very Best with your hunt

Have a great weekend

RP

Beautiful sticks Richard and you are 100% correct - my Missus see many more putters arrive and I will be living in 'The Barn' ha ha :-)

Rob

hi all

I've recently acquired the putter in the images. Can anyone give me any more information on this putter. I own two other TADs (TM1 and Pro 1P) but this new one is in a different league in the way it's made. It has the word 'Character' on the bottom on the putter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Colin

The CHARACTER was a line of putters Tad did - he used one as his personal gamer for a time. I am thinking around 2010 but could be wrong. He ground the face smooth before applying the 'washboard face'. They came in various metals including a Carbon / Aluminium combination. I like yours with the floating face, how's she roll? :-)

Rob

The CHARACTER was a line of putters Tad did - he used one as his personal gamer for a time. I am thinking around 2010 but could be wrong. He ground the face smooth before applying the 'washboard face'. They came in various metals including a Carbon / Aluminium combination. I like yours with the floating face, how's she roll? :-)

Rob

Thanks Rob for the reply and the great info. She is being posted today so I expect I'll be on the greens on Wednesday. I'm hoping I can get along with her. I cant find any other images of the same type of putter hence the questions. It appears to have a TM4 shape but with a anser style neck. Could be a great combination (I hope)

Rob

Thanks Rob for the reply and the great info. She is being posted today so I expect I'll be on the greens on Wednesday. I'm hoping I can get along with her. I cant find any other images of the same type of putter hence the questions. It appears to have a TM4 shape but with a anser style neck. Could be a great combination (I hope)

It looks like a great 'gamer' - look forward to some reports. :-)

Rob

Rob

Rob, playing wise, is there any/much difference between the standard "Tour Classic" and the Barn Find version like yours?

I understand the damascus insert etc would make a huge difference, but is a Tour Classic still a nice 8802 style to have?

Hello Baz,

To be honest, I cannot really tell that much difference in the feel of the inserts, although, while looking great; the Mokume Gane is a little 'clicky', The Tour Classics come in both Anser and 8802 style heads, so I assume you mean the 8802 style with a Copper insert. The Tour Classic with the Copper insert (Tad used 99.9% Copper) is a great gamer and feels like butter. Give them a roll and find something that suits you. To be honest I put headphones on once and without the accompanying sound, they all felt the same to me ha ha - shows how much I know! Keep us in the loop mate. :-)

Rob

Rob

Rob, playing wise, is there any/much difference between the standard "Tour Classic" and the Barn Find version like yours?

I understand the damascus insert etc would make a huge difference, but is a Tour Classic still a nice 8802 style to have?

Hello Baz,

To be honest, I cannot really tell that much difference in the feel of the inserts, although, while looking great; the Mokume Gane is a little 'clicky', The Tour Classics come in both Anser and 8802 style heads, so I assume you mean the 8802 style with a Copper insert. The Tour Classic with the Copper insert (Tad used 99.9% Copper) is a great gamer and feels like butter. Give them a roll and find something that suits you. To be honest I put headphones on once and without the accompanying sound, they all felt the same to me ha ha - shows how much I know! Keep us in the loop mate. :-)

Rob

They reckon "feel" is actually much related to sound anyway Rob. That explains the headphones :)

And yeah, I was talking about the 8802 style Tour Classics. There's a few of them on the Bay in US that are a lot more affordable around the $100 mark (plus post). Was thinking maybe going that route as the barn Finds are rare as hens teeth and priced accordingly.

Rob

Rob

Cheer Rob, quick question which may sound daft; would the stamps on the back of the putter indicate the putter is finished by hand or even hand made (via the miller) and could it have been made by Tad himself. The stamps are a bit of a curiousity. It wont make me putt any better but any info on their relevance would be appreciated. Colin

i rolled one at the shop couple weeks ago while i was getting my spider "i used to have" fitted to me. honestly i liked it. i've always been a fan of putters with horizontal grooves. had a nice firm feel to it and rolled nicely. they were getting rid of it for like 75bucks i think

What shop? I would grab another for that much.

i rolled one at the shop couple weeks ago while i was getting my spider "i used to have" fitted to me. honestly i liked it. i've always been a fan of putters with horizontal grooves. had a nice firm feel to it and rolled nicely. they were getting rid of it for like 75bucks i think

Bristol Custom Golf, just a local store near me i like to support. gotta support the local shops these days. online is killing the local shops, i might go grab it when my M1 comes in this week. be a nice putter to put with the other ones that's going into the wall of my golf room i guess you could call it. never know might even throw it in the bag for a round or two

Rob

Rob

Cheer Rob, quick question which may sound daft; would the stamps on the back of the putter indicate the putter is finished by hand or even hand made (via the miller) and could it have been made by Tad himself. The stamps are a bit of a curiousity. It wont make me putt any better but any info on their relevance would be appreciated. Colin

Colin,

Not a daft question at all mate, but I don't think there is a definitive answer. Unlike Bettinardi, Byron or Cameron; Tad has worked with and for any number of OEM's and there are many different stampings and engravings. Tad has also had other makers stamp his putters; at one stage he had a line being stamped by Lamont Mann IIRC. I think I also remember reading on a thread somewhere that Tad had never been able to get the stamping right on the heel of the face and Lamont could for him ha ha. To be perfectly honest though, I am sure there are people that have far more knowledge of Tad's work than I have mate. :-)

Rob

Bristol Custom Golf, just a local store near me i like to support. gotta support the local shops these days. online is killing the local shops, i might go grab it when my M1 comes in this week. be a nice putter to put with the other ones that's going into the wall of my golf room i guess you could call it. never know might even throw it in the bag for a round or two

You should go and get it and ask Tad if the red E is his doing. :)

Bump - anyone? Is a Pro TM-15 a decent choice for a Tad Moore? Or are the Maxfli versions more sought after?

And what's the usual going rate? I've seen very wild differences in prices ($100US up to $500US) for what appears to be same or similar putters...

Missed this post and thought I would bash fleaBay turds.

Yes the prices are wild out there. There are a few jack wagons taking $100-$200 clubs and jacking them to $300-$500 and gouging the poor saps who don't realize they can get them for much cheaper. It takes a lot of special bits to make a $500+ putter. As it is you will see wide ranges on Tad's putters all over. Just the way the market gets.

Rob

Rob

Colin,

Not a daft question at all mate, but I don't think there is a definitive answer. Unlike Bettinardi, Byron or Cameron; Tad has worked with and for any number of OEM's and there are many different stampings and engravings. Tad has also had other makers stamp his putters; at one stage he had a line being stamped by Lamont Mann IIRC. I think I also remember reading on a thread somewhere that Tad had never been able to get the stamping right on the heel of the face and Lamont could for him ha ha. To be perfectly honest though, I am sure there are people that have far more knowledge of Tad's work than I have mate. :-)

Rob

HI Rob, she's a roller. The floating face feels very different to my TM-1 but also feels great. She's a bit heavier than my TM-1 or Pro 1P which I also quite like. Think I'll enjoy having this one in the bag. Thanks again for the information.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the very rare Mokume Gane Barn Find.

Rob

(You can never tell until you post pics whether you are going to get an ad in the way like here - please click on the images.)

Hey Rob...any idea of the headweight for the original Barn Finds? I have one (I think #19...it's been a while since I looked at it). It's a beautiful 8802 that I've played a couple of times, but have since moved on to anser style putters. That insert feels amazing tho.

Rob

Hello Baz,

Rob

HaHaHa, Bro, I did the very same thing with headphones some time ago because my Teacher was trying to prove and point and without the benefit of auditory feedback, all four putter felt basically the same and while all were 8802 style, three of them were different metals with one having an insert but even the insert putter really "felt" no different.

That's similar to what Mizzy did with Staffers except it was with irons. They were the ones that came up with the cute acronym based on auditory feedback, HIT, i.e., Harmonic Impact Technology.

I hope that you're having a nice season?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Just got caught up reading your posts. I am always available for your questions. Here is something new for you Seve lovers. TM2

And it is performing excellent also!! Thanks for making it for me Tad!!

Leif

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• 4 months later...

Here is the very rare Mokume Gane Barn Find.

Rob

(You can never tell until you post pics whether you are going to get an ad in the way like here - please click on the images.)

Hey Rob...any idea of the headweight for the original Barn Finds? I have one (I think #19...it's been a while since I looked at it). It's a beautiful 8802 that I've played a couple of times, but have since moved on to anser style putters. That insert feels amazing tho.

Hello mate,

Sorry I missed this!!

Without pulling the head, my best guess based on feel with other similar putters would be about 325 - 330g.

Hope this helps.

Rob