2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Subaru Outback ?'s

bogeyk

My 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee is at the point where the amount of money to get it back on the road is enough to warrant moving on in my eyes. Right now I'm looking for new car options and the Subaru Outback seems to have a lot of the features I'm interested in. It has awd, reasonable fuel consumption, enough storage for multiple sets of clubs, isn't huge, and it has a nice safety rating. I'm curious as to what the membership has for opinions good or bad about the Outback and maybe recommendations of other cars that I should check out.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee is at the point where the amount of money to get it back on the road is enough to warrant moving on in my eyes. Right now I'm looking for new car options and the Subaru Outback seems to have a lot of the features I'm interested in. It has awd, reasonable fuel consumption, enough storage for multiple sets of clubs, isn't huge, and it has a nice safety rating. I'm curious as to what the membership has for opinions good or bad about the Outback and maybe recommendations of other cars that I should check out.

No personal experience but my dad - who is one of the biggest car nits I know - absolutely loves them. I think he is on his 4th in a row and my mom - after having 2 - went with the Crosstek this time around. He's had nothing but great things to say about them, especially if you live in a part of the country where the AWD/safety features are worth it. The Crosstek is a pretty nice ride as well, a little smaller than the Outback but definitely not small and rides great on the highway.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

We had a 2001 that we traded out in 2015. Not one thing went wrong with it. Just was time to change. It was a wonderful car.

Our club pro is a ping guy, and he said that in all industries Ping has the second highest loyalty rating. #1? Subaru. That was a statistic he heard at a PGA meeting.

Great car. Reasonable pricing. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

We had a 2001 that we traded out in 2015. Not one thing went wrong with it. Just was time to change. It was a wonderful car.

Our club pro is a ping guy, and he said that in all industries Ping has the second highest loyalty rating. #1? Subaru. That was a statistic he heard at a PGA meeting.

Does he have everyone at your club in Ping clubs yet? I still see numerous bags here that he set guys up with.

Don't have personal experience with the Outback, but my wife has a 2010 Forester. One thing I learned through my mechanic (non-dealer), when my wife was complaining about something loose in the undercarriage, is that ALL Subaru's have steel plates protecting the undercarriage. These plates are locked in place by (cheap) bolts that will rust over time. As they rust and get looser, the steel plates start flapping creating the noise that my wife was complaining about. There is nothing wrong with the car, but the noise will get worse over time. He advised to always do regular undercarriage baths when getting a car wash to get rid of all the salt that quickens the rusting. This is just my experience with my wife's car, and it has given me second thoughts about replacing my current car with a Subaru. Just my 2 cents.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Does he have everyone at your club in Ping clubs yet? I still see numerous bags here that he set guys up with.

Close but not quite. You did hear he won the NW PGA professional of the year? I play Mizuno just to spite him.

Close but not quite. You did hear he won the NW PGA professional of the year? I play Mizuno just to spite him.

I did. Nice post about it on Facebook. That's funny about playing the Mizuno. I never played Pings either (at least while he was here).

Buddy has had multiple Subaru's and swears by them.

I've had a Jeep Liberty and now my daughter has one. Mechanically, I'm not a fan, but she rolled mine three times and walked away so, yeah, we got another one for her.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

The newer (2015-) are the ones to look at as the Gen 4 Legacy's 2010-2014 (same issue on the Outback) have an oil consumption issue. I have a 2013 Legacy 2.5i and I need to add oil about every 2000-2500 miles. I drive 30k miles a year so it's getting REALLY old to have to keep checking the oil especially on an 8* N.E. winter day. The Gen 5 2015-current don't have that issue so I am HOPING to get one by the end of the year but we'll see.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

I've always been a big Subaru guy. Sold many people on them. And over the years, very happy with how they've done from a small marque to a much bigger name. However, the one model which would do great in the US, SOA refuses to bring. The Levorg (WRX Wagon).

Had numerous Subarus over the years, currently on the '17 Impreza Sport (9th Subaru) which is just to hold me over until they bring over a more powerful wagon - which I would have been fine with the Levorg, but Tom Doll refuses to allow it to be sold in the US. There are many wagon enthusiasts that would like to see him relieved of his duties at SOA.

So, when the Buick Regal TourX comes this fall, I will be getting one. AWD, turbo, and about $7k cheaper than the Outback 3.6R (which is an engine that's about 8+ years old without any improvements over its life - never mind the 2.5L currently being used).

The 3.6R Outback has 256hp, 247tq from a N/A flat 6. Starts at $37k.

The TourX will have 250hp, 296tq from a turbo 4. - Which will be better on gas too. Starts at $30k.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

The newer (2015-) are the ones to look at as the Gen 4 Legacy's 2010-2014 (same issue on the Outback) have an oil consumption issue. I have a 2013 Legacy 2.5i and I need to add oil about every 2000-2500 miles. I drive 30k miles a year so it's getting REALLY old to have to keep checking the oil especially on an 8* N.E. winter day. The Gen 5 2015-current don't have that issue so I am HOPING to get one by the end of the year but we'll see.

I can relate. I had a 2011 Forrester that I had to top the oil level at least once between change cycles. Aggressive driving and mountain driving doubled the consumption. Other than that, it has not been in the shop for anything at all. Got full trade allowance on it when traded in. My wife has a 2015 Crosstrek which does not have the oil consumption issue at all.

The only thing you might consider is that (along with many other manufacturers) Subaru has gone the CVT route for transmissions. From what I've read in blogs, etc., Subaru CVT's are decent, but you really can't tow much with them. So if you tow a bass boat or something, the Outback might not be for you.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

No towing for me and I am not a huge fan of this CVT at all, my first one. I have to warm up the car even in the summer a few mins to get the trans fluid warmed up or it runs real sluggish for the 1st two miles. My development entrance is on the highway and I NEED to be able to get up to 65-70 quickly so it's a PITA for sure!

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

I've always been a big Subaru guy. Sold many people on them. And over the years, very happy with how they've done from a small marque to a much bigger name. However, the one model which would do great in the US, SOA refuses to bring. The Levorg (WRX Wagon).

Had numerous Subarus over the years, currently on the '17 Impreza Sport (9th Subaru) which is just to hold me over until they bring over a more powerful wagon - which I would have been fine with the Levorg, but Tom Doll refuses to allow it to be sold in the US. There are many wagon enthusiasts that would like to see him relieved of his duties at SOA.

So, when the Buick Regal TourX comes this fall, I will be getting one. AWD, turbo, and about $7k cheaper than the Outback 3.6R (which is an engine that's about 8+ years old without any improvements over its life - never mind the 2.5L currently being used).

The 3.6R Outback has 256hp, 247tq from a N/A flat 6. Starts at $37k.

The TourX will have 250hp, 296tq from a turbo 4. - Which will be better on gas too. Starts at $30k.

--kC

Regal Tour X looks nice, who would have thunk, GM coming out with a full size wagon!

You must post real pics and review after purchase!

• 4 weeks later...