2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Unbearable Golf Members

Every club has at least one...possible solution?
So I was talking to a buddy of mine a few days back and he tells me this story about a golf club that a pal of his works at. It is somewhere in the central US and I don't know the name of it (not important).

Anyhow the jist of the story goes something like this. Everyone knows that there are members at golf clubs that the golf shop staff, restaurant staff, pool staff, tennis club staff, etc., just hate to deal with. No matter what you do, it is not good enough, and they will complain even if they just found 100 dollars, because it was not $1000. So this club comes up with an idea to sort of keep the membership in check, and was adopted by the membership(they are also informed of this policy when they join, so no surprises). Apparently, the club allows the staff to vote 1 member out of the club at the end of the year. The one person that they hate, cannot deal with, is unbearable, etc. They tally up all the votes from the staff, and then they have their winner. The person with the most votes is given his or her (initiation dues) money back and are on their way. Last year they did not have to vote anyone out, so it must be working.

I don't know about you guys, but I really think that is a great sort of checks and balances system. Takes some of the power away from the members and puts it into the hands of the employees. Makes someone think twice about being a jerk, and being one consistently. As a former PGA member/golf pro, I have been on the receiving end of some serious BS from some serious a-holes that if I was not under the restrictions of my job, could have gotten ugly.

Any thoughts???

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this idea!! Although I've never worked at a golf course, I am bartending my way through College and have certainly had to deal with my fair share of a**holes so I can totally sympathize with the staff. If I was a member I'd support the program whole-heartedly because the jerk's behaviour undoubtedly reflects poorly on the entire membership. The fact that they chose not to vote anyone out this year only goes to prove that the program is working.

Titleist TS3 10.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 70
Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80
Titleist TS2 21* w/ Diamana Litd. D+ White 80
Titleist U500 4i w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist T100-S 5-PW (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 50.12F Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold 120
Vokey SM8 54.12D Brushed Steel (1* Weak) w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Vokey SM8 60.12D Brushed Steel w/ Dynamic Gold Tour-Issue (Soft-Stepped)
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select 34.5” (Heavy)
Titleist 2019 ProV1x

Seems like a good deal to me - be a jerk all year for free golf! Hell, I'd do it! :good:

Sorry forgot to add that they just get the initiation fee back. Not free if you are a jerk. :beach: I will edit the original post.

DG

what a great idea.

for all the sht course staff puts up with from a lot of people ... man talk about sweet revenge.

of course, as long as the anonymous vote works out fair... sounds like money in the bank. nobody wants a member with a cancerous attitude, whether it be staff, members, or prospective members.

We had that guy at our course, and he was my neighbor to boot!! So every time I saw Him, i would go up and say hello and be really, really happy and a NICE GUY. He would go to all the other members and b**** about me and they would ask him "what that guy do to you?" he would never answer and walk away. Then the other members caught on to what I was doing and they would say, hey "BOB" (fake name) wheres your buddy?!!

He moved within a year, and joined another club. he still visits our club, now i don't have to talk to him.

FUNNY!!!

Every club has it's share of these members. For them it just doesn't sink in that belonging to a club is not a birth right.

We have one guy that everyone calls "Mr. Friendly". He has a perpetual sour look on his face and will not look anyone in the eye let alone say hello. The guys in my group go out of their way to walk right at him in the hallways so that he is forced to acknowledge their presence. I heard one guy ask him if he was born a dick or had to work at it.

BTW.........men do not have a corner on the obnoxious member market.

I have to call BS on this thread. I've known a few golf course operators and country club owners. I worked for a gentleman who owned over 50 private and public courses. I know plenty of folks sitting on equity club boards. There is no way a club owner or board would allow their staff (which is inherently transient), to decide who stays or goes.

Call it what you want my man.....it is a free country. I am just going on what I heard from a reliable source (PGA member and golf professional of 17 years) and wanted to pass it along.

Just so you know, there is no reason for me to lie or BS, as I am not going to gain anything by it, nor is that my character. I thought it was a great story and opted to share it with you. I have been in the business for over 15 years, and like you know many golf course operators, golf professionals, owners, equity members, etc. I agree it sounds like a very out there idea, but it is possible.

So make of it what you will.

And one last point just because you worked for a guy that owned over 50 courses, and he says that it cannot be true, or you know several equity board members, and their courses don't do this, does not mean that one golf course somewhere in the country does this.

It would also depend on what type of club it was....if it was a private equity club maybe not, but if it was private non-equity owned by a golf corporation, then you never know. I don't know all the details, thought it was a good story, so I passed it on.

Also technically speaking the management of the club is staff (Director of Golf, Head Profesional, General Manager,etc.), and they do make many membership decisions at non-equity clubs, at least in my experience anyhow. That might be the difference though, equity versus non-equity, and whether or not the members own the club or not.

I can clearly see how it would seem off the wall that a member owned facility would implement something like that. But I can still see it as plausible in a non-equity type situation.

DG

Call it what you want my man.....it is a free country. I am just going on what I heard from a reliable source (PGA member and golf professional of 17 years) and wanted to pass it along.

Just so you know, there is no reason for me to lie or BS, as I am not going to gain anything by it, nor is that my character. I thought it was a great story and opted to share it with you. I have been in the business for over 15 years, and like you know many golf course operators, golf professionals, owners, equity members, etc. I agree it sounds like a very out there idea, but it is possible.

And one last point just because you worked for a guy that owned over 50 courses, and he says that it cannot be true, or you know several equity board members, and their courses don't do this, does not mean that one golf course somewhere in the country does this.

Sorry DRG "bs" was too strong a term...my apologies. My comments were directed more towards the story as relayed to you from your friend.

I just can't envision a scenario where it would come up in the first place. There are many, far more important issues at a private club than a crude member. Every club has at least one. Just like families, the workplace, etc etc etc.. Also, private club memberships are typically very stable. Out of say 400 members, they might turn over 10-15 a year. A very small percentage. Whereas club staff is in constant flux. Dishwasher, waiters, pro staff, GMs, bartenders,etc etc are constanlty changing. I can't see how an owner/board would allow this transient group to make decisions on a long term membership, and the income derived from it.

Sorry DRG "bs" was too strong a term...my apologies. My comments were directed more towards the story as relayed to you from your friend.

No worries my friend.

DG

A great idea...

And legal... Unlike my club's 'brake lines' method of getting rid of unpopular members.. ;)

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I don't know about you guys, but I really think that is a great sort of checks and balances system. Takes some of the power away from the members and puts it into the hands of the employees. Makes someone think twice about being a jerk, and being one consistently. As a former PGA member/golf pro, I have been on the receiving end of some serious BS from some serious a-holes that if I was not under the restrictions of my job, could have gotten ugly.

I would say that if the member had a chance to respond, and there were reason why he was voted for, I might be in for that. There are all sorts of alterior motives that an employee could use, rather than voting for someone who really deserves it.

I would say that if the member had a chance to respond, and there were reason why he was voted for, I might be in for that. There are all sorts of alterior motives that an employee could use, rather than voting for someone who really deserves it.

You're right, an employee could vote you off the island for the wrong reasons. But, if the entire restraunt and bar staff votes for you, there's probably something to it. Maybe you should stop drinking ten bloody marys and yelling at the waiter because your napkin isn't folded right.