2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

perception is a funny thing

If you drive a classic muscle car or collectible automobile you are perceived as successful or established.

If you drive a classic persimmon wood or vintage iron, you are perceived as "different" (to put it nicely).

If you drive that classic car alone you are perceived as being cool.

If you drive that classic persimmon alone you are perceived as being weird.

I get the damnest looks (even comments from friends in our group when I play with others)

on the course when i'm playing with my vintage gear, walking alone with a Sunday bag.

Yup, perception is a funny thing...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that is because old muscle cars get to the speed limit just fine? LOL.

I will admit, after seeing some friends walk away unhurt from some scary looking crashes in newer cars, I don't look at old cars like that at all anymore. Instead I think, "wow, cool car. Sure wouldn't want to drive that over my 2016 [insert any car here]. Same is true with old clubs. I see classic old clubs and think, "wow, cool clubs. Sure wouldn't want to have to clear the water on [insert hole with water carry here] with those clubs.

If you drive a classic car to the golf course and play golf with classic golf clubs, you may just very well be my hero though. A guy in my golf league rides a motorcycle to the golf course. His double strap golf bag on his shoulders. Amazing, but nope...

Different? Check.

Weird? Yep.

Proud of it? Absolutely!

Most people don't and/or won't understand. It's fine with me though. Of course, not everyone will be judgemental.

I've had a few older gentlemen want to check out my hickory putter on the practice green. They'll usually tell me about the one they have at home. We'll talk about the old clubs for a few minutes before they go tee off. Love stuff like that.

I've joined up with a group of retired gentlemen a few weeks back and they didn't consider me weird or anything, just wondered how I went about putting my set of hickories together.

Had another guy come over to me on the course to talk about the hickories. How they were to hit,, etc...

Then, there's this one guy at my home course, who at various times has offered me a bag. I guess that my little, old tartan bag looks shabby or something. Let him know that had at least seven more at home. I just liked this one the best. Plus, it's perfect for carrying a short set. He's also offered a set of new clubs to me. I must need them since I don't carry a full set and they're old! Told him that I already have a couple of sets of modern clubs, I just prefer the old ones and I have more than enough of them. According to my girlfriend and daughter, at least. He's a nice enough guy. He'll come out to talk with me if he sees me on the practice green. He does probably think I'm a bit weird though.

LOL actually ROTFLMAO! Ask some of the guys around my home club (Indian Wells In Garden City SC) and they will tell you frankly they think I have a screw loose.

Some of them are curious as to what I may have in a strange bag that week on the range and wander over to look. One guy even went as far as to say and tell others I had a screw loose because I have newer clubs (2013 Callys and 2012 Infinity TS 10 prototypes) but would rather play old wood woods and rusty antique irons. Of course he did not tell the part about I shot a 74 as a subsitute in league play from the yellow ( senior ) tees with a set of 3800 Armour irons Penna driver and a M-85 Mac 3 wood. I think I was putting with my Cleveland 8802 designed by putter. Smoked his butt!!

I wear it like a badge of honor---- I had some of my few hickories out the other day and offered this same blowhard a match and he declined.

Hey I march to the beat of my own drummer and love it

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Just roll with it and embrace it. Sanity is statistical to many, making us a bunch of crazies.

I don't get too much flak for it, just some questions and general curiosity.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

If you drive a classic muscle car or collectible automobile you are perceived as successful or established.

If you drive a classic persimmon wood or vintage iron, you are perceived as "different" (to put it nicely).

If you drive that classic car alone you are perceived as being cool.

If you drive that classic persimmon alone you are perceived as being weird.

I get the damnest looks (even comments from friends in our group when I play with others)

on the course when i'm playing with my vintage gear, walking alone with a Sunday bag.

Yup, perception is a funny thing...

If your avatar is any indication, maybe you get the funny looks because your clubs face the wrong way?

J/k, enjoy! Who cares what the others think?

Different? Check.

Weird? Yep.

Proud of it? Absolutely!

Most people don't and/or won't understand. It's fine with me though. Of course, not everyone will be judgemental.

I've had a few older gentlemen want to check out my hickory putter on the practice green. They'll usually tell me about the one they have at home. We'll talk about the old clubs for a few minutes before they go tee off. Love stuff like that.

I've joined up with a group of retired gentlemen a few weeks back and they didn't consider me weird or anything, just wondered how I went about putting my set of hickories together.

Had another guy come over to me on the course to talk about the hickories. How they were to hit,, etc...

Then, there's this one guy at my home course, who at various times has offered me a bag. I guess that my little, old tartan bag looks shabby or something. Let him know that had at least seven more at home. I just liked this one the best. Plus, it's perfect for carrying a short set. He's also offered a set of new clubs to me. I must need them since I don't carry a full set and they're old! Told him that I already have a couple of sets of modern clubs, I just prefer the old ones and I have more than enough of them. According to my girlfriend and daughter, at least. He's a nice enough guy. He'll come out to talk with me if he sees me on the practice green. He does probably think I'm a bit weird though.

Massilon Ohio? Probably thinks you had your bell rung too many times as a young man playing that tough eastern Ohio football.

Massilon Ohio? Probably thinks you had your bell rung too many times as a young man playing that tough eastern Ohio football.

Ha! Very possible. They do love their high school football in these parts, and it starts up this week. I am from the area but only moved to Massillon a few years ago. Though, my alma mater has won the last two Division 3 state titles with a QB that transferred from...Massillon.

To be honest, my weirdness doesn't come from getting my bell rung playing football. I was a baseball player. My sophomore year of high school. New school for me and my mom goes to a parent-teacher thing they had early in the year. The next day before math class starts, my teacher (also the head football coach) tells me that my mother told him that I'd be the tight end for the team next year. I just laughed and said that he obviously didn't talk to my mom.

I've gotten where I enjoy showing up as a single with my hickories and a carry bag. Especially if i am added to a group of hi-tech golfers. I tend to have a fairly straight ball flight and it's a lot of fun to have my ball in the fairway while we are scannng the rough for theirs.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is something to be said for you sticking with what works! You've spent much less on the sport than all of us.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

I've been driving old cars and old golf clubs most of my life. I've bored to death the guys in the clubhouse grille about my 1976 Dodge Royal Monaco hardtop. I bought that car new 41 years ago. A twenty three year old buying an old man's Dodge. Weird in everyone's book.

Anyhow, the car isn't as nice as it used to be, and is quite valueless. You'd be surprised at how many compliments I still receive on it, though. I've had other old borderline classic cars in fine condition, that haven't got anywhere the attention the old Dodge does.

As far as classic clubs, I get the usual, "Gee, imagine how well you'd play with modern." Yeah, sure.

I guess I'm kind of lucky then because the guys that work the courses where I play my vintage clubs seem to think it's very cool. I do get some questions sometimes from guys that don't know me that get paired with me though. All good though. I just hope to be playing solidly when paired with someone new so that I have a chance to make a good impression of Vintage Play with them.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Perception is a funny thing. We have a saying in the marketing biz: "Perception is truth." No matter the real truth, what matters is what people have come to believe is the truth. That is their truth.

So they see a golfer with a plaid bag and wood clubs. Weirdo. Where's your Woody parked?

So I'm no scratch golfer, but I have the integrity of one. I play Hogan Apex Edge irons from 2001. Old, but they look shiny and new. I normally shoot 84-86 on average. So I decide to go old school with 1984 Ping Eye 2 V-groove irons and blonde Ping woods. The looks I got -- by those few who even knew what they were looking at -- were rather shocking. Why would they even care? I tried not to let it get to me, but I love vintage clubs (within my ability to play) and I was getting rather upset....until I shoot an 80.

After the round, what I am hearing are tones and hints that I am somehow a cheater by using "outdated" and "nonconforming" clubs. Wrong. These Ping V-grooves are and always have been conforming. Plus, the lofts are far weaker than today's garish Vegas table rakes those guys were flailing and out-distancing me all day.

Regardless. Be eccentric. Educate those who will listen, beat all who won't.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Perception is a funny thing. We have a saying in the marketing biz: "Perception is truth." No matter the real truth, what matters is what people have come to believe is the truth. That is their truth.

So they see a golfer with a plaid bag and wood clubs. Weirdo. Where's your Woody parked?

So I'm no scratch golfer, but I have the integrity of one. I play Hogan Apex Edge irons from 2001. Old, but they look shiny and new. I normally shoot 84-86 on average. So I decide to go old school with 1984 Ping Eye 2 V-groove irons and blonde Ping woods. The looks I got -- by those few who even knew what they were looking at -- were rather shocking. Why would they even care? I tried not to let it get to me, but I love vintage clubs (within my ability to play) and I was getting rather upset....until I shoot an 80.

After the round, what I am hearing are tones and hints that I am somehow a cheater by using "outdated" and "nonconforming" clubs. Wrong. These Ping V-grooves are and always have been conforming. Plus, the lofts are far weaker than today's garish Vegas table rakes those guys were flailing and out-distancing me all day.

I play clubs from the hickory to relatively modern. I have told guys if I want to play golf with a couple of tree limbs, I will do so. The last few years, I've been playing mostly solo. Aside from a couple old (80's+) pals, I haven't played with others for several years.

You need new friends if they hint that you are a cheater with your old clubs.

Enjoy your game as you want to.

I play clubs from the hickory to relatively modern. I have told guys if I want to play golf with a couple of tree limbs, I will do so. The last few years, I've been playing mostly solo. Aside from a couple old (80's+) pals, I haven't played with others for several years.

You need new friends if they hint that you are a cheater with your old clubs.

Enjoy your game as you want to.

Had an incident earlier this season where a group of participants in the traveling seniors group I belong to raised issues with regard to the conformity of my classic clubs. They are no longer in my circle of friendship, or, the traveling senior group. The majority of the group found their arguments simply ludicrous.

Perception? Can count on one hand (minus a couple of digits) the times someone made comment on the constantly changing classic WITB. Then only to remark that they hadn't seen those clubs in a long time. Both with older gentlemen that I joined up with during a leisurely solo round. Had persimmons in the bag for one, even let him take a few swats off the tee with the D. His comment was "its been a long time since I hit one of those", smiling as he handed the club back to me.

My circle of golfing buds could care less what the WITB is on any given day. All we are trying to do is best each other (very friendly competition). Their general sentiment is if I want to make it more difficult, "knock yourself out". (Although I typically play classic wood during solo rounds.)

My dime. I'll play whatever I choose to play. TYVM. Anyone that wants to make it their bidness as to the implements chosen, can stick it. You are of no consequence in my golfing realm.

Have a zero tolerance level for the pretentious "stuffed shirts" that one bumps into occasionally whilst engaging in this wonderful recreational pastime.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I've only played one round with a guy who used vintage wood shaft gear. At the Old Course in 2005.

I get to the tee box and couldn't believe this was about to go down, how cool was this guy at the home of golf with wood shafts? Legendary. He shot, if I remember correctly, a 72, even par. One of the coolest experiences of my life golf wise, that was fun to watch. Wore the vintage threads too.

I think he was a head pro in the states?

There are 29 guys in my twice-a-week men`s league group. Routinely about half show up on any given day. On occasion we will get a turnout of 20 or better. The first couple of times I showed up with vintage kit there was a bit of good-natured ribbing going on, mostly regarding my choice of woods and lack of a 400+cc titanium driver.

Don't you have something bigger?

Those things would be best left in the basement!

Don't you use a driver?

Sandbaggers! :glare:

Because the group is older, there are lots of old non-conforming clubs in play. One guy putts with a long putter and an anchored stroke. No one really cares even though there is a small wager on the line. The handicap system will sort it out. After all, we`re all just out to have a good time. No one is that good for it to really matter anyway.

I love it when someone shows up playing vintage kit, especially with the lumber is in tow. It takes a lot of courage. But when you have one of those days when everything clicks and you're striping the ball. That look of amazement on the faces of your playing companions that you can hit those things that well is all the reward you need. :golfer:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

PS: No one I mentioned above was malicious or aggressive. After all, they were all 90s shooters. But of course they suspect that anyone who shoots better has a "secret edge" or something. So their attitude was cold and peeved. I kind of thought it was humorous, because I had just shot the best round in quite a while, with old clubs that really looked good that day. My "perception" that these clubs could get it done boosted my confidence...and my putter. Still rocking the Pal 4 BeCu.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X