2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Rate My UK Golf Trip- May 2018

TW33

I've been planning this trip for several months now. Heading out with my wife who has been playing golf for about a year. She's still a novice, and will be walking along/playing some short courses along the way. The cheapest flight combination was into Dublin and out of Glasgow, and it's cool to be able to see Northern Ireland so I didn't mind the extra leg of travel from Dublin to Glasgow.

I wanted to play Royal County Down instead of Portrush, but the course is closed that weekend for an Irish amateur event. What do you guys think of the final itinerary?

Day 1- Arrive morning in Dublin. Drive up to Portrush and play Castlerock followed by Portstewart short course.

Day 2- Royal Portrush Dunluce (booked) followed, hopefully, by a round on the Valley course.

Day 3- Golf near Belfast. TBD (suggestions?)

Day 4- Tour Belfast. Black Cab tour, pubs, etc...

Day 5- Fly from Dublin to Glasgow. Drive to St. Andrews (Sunday) and picnic on Old Course

Day 6-8 St. Andrews "3 day ticket". Will play somewhere around 36-54 each day. My wife is going to get the 3 day all you can golf for Balgrove and play some as well.

Day 9- Old Course (going to get up early and queue- should be relatively easy for a single if I get there early enough).

Day 10- Carnoustie followed by a drive to Inverness

Day 11- Tour Inverness, Loch Ness, etc...

Day 12- Drive up to cottage in Brora. Play Brora twilight

Day 13- Two rounds at Royal Dornoch (booked)

Day 14- Distillery tours, twilight golf at Tain

Day 15- All day golf pass at either Brora or Golspie

Day 16- Drive back to Glasgow. Suggestions for golf on the way from Inverness to Glasgow?

Day 17- Leave

I had to skip the Aberdeen courses but I'll be back to Scotland at some point. Very disappointingly was not able to fit North Berwick in either but it should still be an excellent, albeit expensive, trip.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What time of year are you going? I see lots of twilight golf in there. If you're going in summer, you can play well past 9pm, and even 10pm. I played Gullan with a friend many years ago. It was early September, and we got off the course after 10. Admittedly, we walked up the 18th in near darkness.

Also, what time do you arrive in Dublin? Because it's a bit of a drive from Dublin Airport to Portrush.

i am surprised your gonna spend 4 days up in northern island and not play Royal county downs. I would really try to work that in (maybe that Free Belfast day). Even if it means taking one of the other courses off try to get it in.

Just stay up by Inverness and play castle Stewart the last day before the drive back to Glasgow the last night. That would be my recommendation

What time of year are you going? I see lots of twilight golf in there. If you're going in summer, you can play well past 9pm, and even 10pm. I played Gullan with a friend many years ago. It was early September, and we got off the course after 10. Admittedly, we walked up the 18th in near darkness.

Also, what time do you arrive in Dublin? Because it's a bit of a drive from Dublin Airport to Portrush.

I'm going at the end of May. Definitely going to take advantage of the long days to get in 54 on some days. St. Andrews is absolutely going to lose money on the 3 day ticket for me. Arriving in Dublin at 7AM, so should have plenty of time to make it up to Portrush and get in 18 holes + some time on a short course.

i am surprised your gonna spend 4 days up in northern island and not play Royal county downs. I would really try to work that in (maybe that Free Belfast day). Even if it means taking one of the other courses off try to get it in.

Just stay up by Inverness and play castle Stewart the last day before the drive back to Glasgow the last night. That would be my recommendation

Yeah it is unfortunate but RCD is closed the entire time I'm in NI. This certainly won't be my last time out this way, but I wanted to knock Portrush off the list simply because it will be fun to watch the Open in two years having played the course before.

Unfortunately, I leave at 10AM from Glasgow the last day, but I guess I could play Castle Stewart earlier the day before and the make it into Glasgow a bit later. I'm transitioning from a career as a Naval Officer into business school, so I'll be unemployed during this entire trip- thus trying to keep the costs down (at least relatively speaking). Is Castle Stewart really worth the 200 GBP to play? I thought that was rather pricey considering you can play Nairn for only 135. I get Nairn isn't the same caliber, but still.

Day 1- Arrive morning in Dublin. Drive up to Portrush and play Castlerock followed by Portstewart short course.

It’s seems to be a pretty busy planning, considering time lost at arrival (luggages and rental pick up) + probably 3h drive.

I you can manage twilight 9 holes, play front on Strand Course at Portstewart, a terrific stretch of holes among high dunes, highly recommended.

Day 3- Golf near Belfast. TBD (suggestions?)

Malone or Belvoir Park are probably the best in town.

Day 4- Tour Belfast. Black Cab tour, pubs, etc...

I really loved Black Cab Tour, amazing experience.

Plenty of great pubs like Duke of York, Kelly’s Cellar, McHughs, The Crown

Day 16- Drive back to Glasgow. Suggestions for golf on the way from Inverness to Glasgow?

Castle Stuart ! or Royal Nairn.

Day 17- Leave

Pitlochry.

Very sporty mountain golf, a total change of pace from any of the other courses you'll play on this trip. More or less mid-way between Inverness and Glasgow.

I actually drove from Dornoch to Pitlochry early one morning, played a couple rounds of golf and overnighted there, then made another early-morning depature to Glasgow airport on the day my flight back home was departing. The drive from Pitlochry to Glasgow is about as far as I'd care to chance it on departure day but my flight wasn't until 11am-ish. It took me just a couple minutes more than two hours from Pitlochry to the rental car return at GLA.

Day 17- Leave

Pitlochry.

Very sporty mountain golf, a total change of pace from any of the other courses you'll play on this trip. More or less mid-way between Inverness and Glasgow.

I actually drove from Dornoch to Pitlochry early one morning, played a couple rounds of golf and overnighted there, then made another early-morning depature to Glasgow airport on the day my flight back home was departing. The drive from Pitlochry to Glasgow is about as far as I'd care to chance it on departure day but my flight wasn't until 11am-ish. It took me just a couple minutes more than two hours from Pitlochry to the rental car return at GLA.

Brilliant. Those views are remarkable and green fees are 37 GBP. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

You have quite a drive ahead of you from Dublin to Portrush.

Golf near Belfast I would go either Malone or Belvoir. If you are able to fit in golf on way back to Dublin from Belfast I would highly recommend Concra Wood in Castleblayney.

Superb under rated course. The rest of your trip looks superb!!!

Golf near Belfast I would go either Malone or Belvoir. If you are able to fit in golf on way back to Dublin from Belfast I would highly recommend Concra Wood in Castleblayney.

Anything cheaper in Belfast that you would recommend (preferably in the 40 GBP range)? Malone and Belvoir are both like 80.

Anything cheaper in Belfast that you would recommend (preferably in the 40 GBP range)? Malone and Belvoir are both like 80.

For around the £40 mark I would try Lisburn Golf Club or Shandon Park both very nice courses Lisburn just outside Belfast but you will be nearer your route for back to Dublin.

36-54 each day in St Andrews?? Ok.... you better be in great shape....

I'm going to use a pull cart. It's just walking?

Said this in reply to your other post but I did 2 straight 72 hole days my last two days there 2 push cart 2 caddie. Not sure I could have done a 3rd and played well. Even the back 9 of the old I was feeling it and it turned a low 70's round into a 78. Considering your looking at 3 straight 36-54 hole days then playing the Old on day 4 you might not have any legs left to play to your potential. Maybe 36-54-18 give yourself a little rest before the old. Still getting a ton of value out of the ticket too.

I get the principal of doing the 3 day ticket but really would be a shame to miss out on Crail and Kingsbarns while you are there. Kingsbarns is pricey, but worth it. Crail is reasonable priced and just a fun quirky golf course.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

36-54 each day in St Andrews?? Ok.... you better be in great shape....

I'm going to use a pull cart. It's just walking?

Said this in reply to your other post but I did 2 straight 72 hole days my last two days there 2 push cart 2 caddie. Not sure I could have done a 3rd and played well. Even the back 9 of the old I was feeling it and it turned a low 70's round into a 78. Considering your looking at 3 straight 36-54 hole days then playing the Old on day 4 you might not have any legs left to play to your potential. Maybe 36-54-18 give yourself a little rest before the old. Still getting a ton of value out of the ticket too.

I get the principal of doing the 3 day ticket but really would be a shame to miss out on Crail and Kingsbarns while you are there. Kingsbarns is pricey, but worth it. Crail is reasonable priced and just a fun quirky golf course.

Yes, will definitely play Crail and Kingsbarns at some point, just not on this trip. I want to take advantage of staying in downtown St. Andrews and being a 5 min drive from the courses.

I like Castle Stuart but too pricey at £200. I would always play Moray Old in Lossiemouth if in the area. That is my favourite course anywhere.

The two Nairn courses are good.

On the way down you could play Boat of Garten, it is a great track. Short but fairly tight.

Unless they have fixed the greens don't go near the Castle course in StAndrews. Nice layout but totally ruined by the stupid undulating greens.

I really don't rate Crail all that highly, played it about 20 times and just never seen what people see in it. Many love it so might just be me on that one.

Kingsbarnes is amazing but also very expensive.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

• 1 month later...

Wow what a great trip you have planned!! My thoughts for you would be to drop Castlerock. I played it a few months ago and can’t describe how disappointed I felt after playing it. I’d definitely play portstewart ahead of it. Or if you’re looking for something on the way from Dublin to Belfast then Ardglass may be worth a shout? I played that in a 50mph wind earlier this year and it’s some of the most fun I’ve had on a course!

You’re Scottish itinerary looks great as well. I would echo the comments about crail. I think it’s auite over rated. Also any of Boat of Garten, Spey Valley, Grantown on Spey or Pitlochry would be good for you on your journey from Inverness to Glasgow.

Enjoy you will have a blast!