• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

First post of 2018. Phew its been a wild couple of weeks. Took a new years trip to Charleston that was "extended" by 3 days since CHS was essentially a block of ice.

I'm gonna need to hit the range HARD down here before the NC trip. Anyone have suggestions for travel cases? Kent?

Also, that 1857 line from FootJoy? #ohboy #goodbyewallet

I went to look for those and was sidetracked by the awesome spikes Footjoy has available:

https://www.footjoy....oes/men/spiked/

Spike sandals? That's just nasty. Don't do it.

Golf Velcro Sneakers? Maybe for Kent in a few years.

I have a buddy who wore these. That was five years ago and he did buy them in Hawaii. No socks. I could definitely see Domes and City in sandals.

Getting ready to head to the airport. Will take pictures and then post what happens at Streamsong and Consessons.

Tiger is going to start the day a shot below the cut line, but is playing the historically easier North course. Seems likely he'll need to get at least a couple under par to make the cut. What say you about his chances, superfriends?

He seemed erratic yesterday. Not like he was hitting it all over the planet, but lots of shots he was acting disgusted about. His iron play didn't seem real sharp, save for a couple shots he stuffed. He didn't make any putts, and missed a shortie. He did seem to get a little more comfortable on the back 9. I'm gonna say if he has to get more than 2 under on today's round, he misses the cut. If he only needs 1 or 2 under, he makes it.

Tiger is going to start the day a shot below the cut line, but is playing the historically easier North course. Seems likely he'll need to get at least a couple under par to make the cut. What say you about his chances, superfriends?

He seemed erratic yesterday. Not like he was hitting it all over the planet, but lots of shots he was acting disgusted about. His iron play didn't seem real sharp, save for a couple shots he stuffed. He didn't make any putts, and missed a shortie. He did seem to get a little more comfortable on the back 9. I'm gonna say if he has to get more than 2 under on today's round, he misses the cut. If he only needs 1 or 2 under, he makes it.

He missed 3 greens with 8i, 9i and PW in his hand yesterday, which wont work on the new NC greens. No cut for him. They were saying yesterday that even though the NC was "historically" easier, the new greens on them were hard as a rock and the courses seemed to be playing @ the same. I put him @ 71-74 today with a MC.

The bigger deal is he *seems* healthy and happy out there. I think making the cut would be a huge deal for him though, just to start getting the reps in.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

There's one giant GIANT problem with golf sandals. . . .OK, you've got your sandals on, you're walking around on a nice warm muggy day, La la la. Walking around in golf sandals. Got a little foot sweat going.

Boom, you hit one in a sand trap.

Well, what now, hippy? You're going to walk around with sand stuck under the soles of your feet? Between your toes? Sand where the straps touch your feet? You're golfing, Jerry Garcia. You're not kicking it in the sand with a Corona.

I don't think I ever said I had a problem with the GG content. Mainly the presentation. I actually kind of like how lower-body centric he is. I can see it working for someone, but all the scwamdown squewwshies don't seem necessary.

Tiger : yesterday after hitting a bunker he left himself a little 3 foot downhiller with a scintilla of borrow (holoe 13-ish?). Reed's putt had just broken left at the hole on a similar line. Announcer says, "if you go at this putt, you can have 8 feet coming back."

What did Tiger do? He hit a putt so that he wouldn't have 8 feet coming back. So he wouldn't 3 putt from 40 inches It was dreadful. I read it. Faldo read it. Tiger had just seen it. He started it at the center of the cup and let it fall out of the hole. That's one of those putts that you just "LEARN" at some point in time. You don't do the math on that putt. You just haveit memorized. You hit that a full ball inside the right edge with a bit of pace and it slams into the back of the cup. Yeah, if you miss it, you have 8 feet coming back. Guess what. . .you're a professional golfer, you don't miss it.

That's the kind of putt that when I was like a 10 handicap I'd look at a 4 handicap and go, "I can't believe he just slams that into the cup. I always play that putt like a wuss." and then every time you go to a putting green for the next 6 months, you take about 10 minutes and hit about 50 downhill 3 footers until you can't miss it.

If he misses the cut by 1 stroke (and right now that's where he stands), I hope he looks back on that. That was disgusting.

Here's Scotty Cameron talking about the magic in that putter.

Reed looking at Tiger like VTNerf looks at beer.

Capture.jpg

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I think I mentioned yesterday that yeah they sucked in the bunkers. But then again it was Hawaii so I really didn't care. Honestly I think they might have been such a novelty back then because 15 years ago there were no spikeless shoes or really any of the more casual/comfy walking shoes that there are now. It was all just flavors of the more "traditional" hard sided shoe.

Other than the fat tire scooter, there have been a few interesting things out of the PGA show. The thing I like is that you occasionally run across a clothing or accessory manufacturer that you've never heard of. I do like that Skytrak is working on adding clubhead data to their release. The demo looked pretty cool but it looks more like a proof of concept at this point.

Personally I'm waiting for the first limited ball mark releases from MISPLACEDTEX LLC.

Golf sandals are good for people with ingrown toenails, or so my buddy said at the time. We were only a few years removed from college so self awareness was pretty high but no amount of ridicule or hazing would get him to stop wearing them. It bothered me just looking at him wearing them.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I don't think I ever said I had a problem with the GG content. Mainly the presentation. I actually kind of like how lower-body centric he is. I can see it working for someone, but all the scwamdown squewwshies don't seem necessary.

if you're fine with his wildly technical and, even worse, system based instruction how does that jive with not being fine with me trying to improve my technique? (i have no idea where the commas are supposed to go in that sentence)

tiger yesterday:

.763 strokes gained off the tee

-.550 strokes gained approach

.810 strokes gained around the green

-1.407 strokes gained putting

so what's interesting about to me is that there is way less concern about his approach play and putting than there his his tee game and his play around the greens. i'm predicting 69 and he makes the cut on the number

if you're fine with his wildly technical and, even worse, system based instruction how does that jive with not being fine with me trying to improve my technique? (i have no idea where the commas are supposed to go in that sentence)

I'm not as familiar with him as you seem to be.

The impression I got from him was basically "get the club to the top, now power through with the lower body". If he gets way more technical than that, I wasn't really paying attention. I like a big bowing out of the left leg to start the downswing because that's how I feel I start my downswing. Look like you're riding a horse for a split second.

instruction-2014-04-inar01-sean-foley-power.jpg

Also, I'm not NOT fine with you trying to improve technique.

When I saw you looking totally steep and over the top, what I said was, "trying to swing way in to out". That's trying to improve technique through changing your intention at the ball.

Honestly, I still don't know what you're trying to do in the garage. Does your launch monitor give you face and path and are you trying to make changes to face and path at the ball, or are you just taking video and trying to improve your look on video?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Golf sandals are good for people with ingrown toenails, or so my buddy said at the time. We were only a few years removed from college so self awareness was pretty high but no amount of ridicule or hazing would get him to stop wearing them. It bothered me just looking at him wearing them.

i remember city's buddy MeatMike wearing vibram 5 toe sock shoes one early spring day when we played pine ridge. the ground was so cold and thus his feet were freezing... he was MISERABLE. we i made fun of him the whole round.

also, fill us in after today's fitting please. sorry i can't make lunch, swampy at work.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Dc..

6ebd6bdd6cc6e48273c4f07b6f742542.jpg

c3e1434c70dd18384d8774756cc290cd.jpg

Double stamps are worth more ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Amazon listed Montgomery County, DC, and NOVA as 3 of the 20 finalists for their new HQ, promising 50,000 jobs.

Golf Talk Friday : What impact will it have on the local golf scene?

Other talk Friday (mainly because I'm interested in hearing what some of you guys have to say about it. I have a couple of thoughts that I'll save.) : What do you think about it in general? Likelihood of it happening? Which of those 3 locations do you like? Significant Impact on local economy?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

When I saw 3 local spots were finalists I thought "oh, that's cool!" I hadn't even considered it's impact on the local golf scene. I assume it'd have a significant impact on the real estate market. Does that increase the possibility of golf courses selling off to residential developers? Even with the current number of courses, it's a crowded golf scene. More people would make that worse. More people and less courses would really make that worse. Does it cause prices to get even worse? Would increased pricing and crowds push more people to look at private clubs?

In actuality, I feel like the chances of it coming here are low. If they went with any of those locations though, somewhere out in western NoVA probably affords them the greatest amount of room to stretch their legs, and the greatest potential for residential development. Jamming it into DC somewhere seems like a nightmare. MoCo ain't a whole lot better.

For ones not on the gram.. when I take my time (well except for grabbing the q :(

9e43226919aae8c9a7907e476fb24685.jpg

036f36523277421cf48e524812b47566.jpg

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Absolutely zero impact on the local golf scene.

OK it cant be zero so I'll say less than 1% impact.

Tex...that is silly....fantastic work they came out great!! Serious question, did you buy an anvil? I have a stamp set and test stamped a couple of wedges last year but it sucked. I had them in a vise on my workbench but even after torching the wedge, it was awful.

Amazon listed Montgomery County, DC, and NOVA as 3 of the 20 finalists for their new HQ, promising 50,000 jobs.

Other talk Friday (mainly because I'm interested in hearing what some of you guys have to say about it. I have a couple of thoughts that I'll save.) : What do you think about it in general? Likelihood of it happening? Which of those 3 locations do you like? Significant Impact on local economy?

huge incentive to come to MD by the governor. 5 billion or something? would go into the old white flint mall area.

1. the site meets some criteria but not all. main issue: 47 acres of space isn't big enough. i think somewhere along the Silver line in NoVA is far more likely a landing spot than MC. plus, amazon already has some data centers(?) there already, so they already have an existing relationship with the state.

2. without a huge change to the infrastructure, there will be an incredibly negative effect on the traffic flow/schools.

3. the jobs that this will bring won't necessarily be the high-paying ones. and, the inevitable boost in real estate prices will push the local people that would fill those jobs farther away from the site.

4. bezos is leveraging the desire for the site, much like an NFL owner does. ruthless. smart. maybe not so good for the state tho.

overall, for all the downsides, i still think it would be a boon for MC, and would kick off a cycle of modernization for the area. yes, there will negative effects. but there will be positive ones too (some jobs, more people paying taxes in the county, real estate increases, forced improvement to road/schools, more supporting businesses, a "hub" to point to and an identify for what is essentially currently wasted space and an eyesore.

golf-wise, little to no effect. virtually every weekend am tee time sells out around me. might have to book 8 days in advance vs 7. i bet the local country clubs revisit their initiation fees tho...

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I guess i'll weigh in here from a RE perspective: in all likelihood, AMZN is putting HQ2 on the east coast. Amazon is definitely looking for an educated workforce as well, which further increases the chances of DC being the real deal here. Northern Virginia, MOCO and DC have offered tax abatements/incentives (0% corp tax in DC for 5 years, i think was offered), and in the potential for amazon to have a lobbying core (like google did fairly recently) is even further incentive for amazon to pick dc. They're looking to hire in the realm of 50,000 employees over the next few years - and only from an educated, tech centric standpoint. The hardest part is solving for the real estate - Amazon wants 6-8 million square feet of space. There are a very limited number of locations within the greater metro area that can accomodate that AND provide the amazon lifestyle - which leads me to believe that MoCo is likely out and NoVa and DC are frontrunners.

most companies in the real estate world have discussed the opportunity w/ eachother and w/ elected officials. everyone is in a tizzy to try to assemble something they could throw towards the deal happening.

golfwise: you're talking about 50,000 new tech centric folks, and a handful of lawyers who probably already belong to Congo/Columbia/FourStreams/WGCC. Impact to golf: more traffic, leave 5 minutes earlier for your tee time if you live inside the beltway.

Here's what I found interesting about the Amazon choices. . . (wrote before top.H and 2More)

MC, DC, NOVA. They have 3 sites right in the area. They don't have Philly, Trenton, and Westchester county. They don't have Chicago and Evanston. They don't have New York and Hoboken and Long Island.

It makes me think that they are really looking for something in the area.

We have the educated work force here for sure.

Also -- as Top.H said -- the realities of the need for effective lobbying are really starting to dawn on these tech companies (I mean, they have for years, but it's really hitting home now).

Lastly, Bezos owns the WaPo. So, he's already guaranteed good coverage.

I think that he totally recognizes the effect that government can have on the bottom line for his business and that has his focus in this area.

2MoreTerps article is really interesting.

First paragraph. . .

The triumvirate of Washington, D.C., Montgomery County, Maryland, and Northern Virginia already have a lock on Amazon HQ2, and likely one of those spots has already been chosen, with the other two out there for competition and cover, and perhaps other Amazon future uses.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Here's what I found interesting about the Amazon choices. . . (wrote before top.H and 2More)

MC, DC, NOVA. They have 3 sites right in the area. They don't have Philly, Trenton, and Westchester county. They don't have Chicago and Evanston. They don't have New York and Hoboken and Long Island.

It makes me think that they are really looking for something in the area.

We have the educated work force here for sure.

Also -- as Top.H said -- the realities of the need for effective lobbying are really starting to dawn on these tech companies (I mean, they have for years, but it's really hitting home now).

Lastly, Bezos owns the WaPo. So, he's already guaranteed good coverage.

I think that he totally recognizes the effect that government can have on the bottom line for his business and that has his focus in this area.

2MoreTerps article is really interesting.

First paragraph. . .

The triumvirate of Washington, D.C., Montgomery County, Maryland, and Northern Virginia already have a lock on Amazon HQ2, and likely one of those spots has already been chosen, with the other two out there for competition and cover, and perhaps other Amazon future uses.

I'd put $5 on DC itself over the other two for tax purposes for what Amazon pays its employees. I'd go further to say that there are probably two sites within DC that make sense, are underutilized, metro serviced and have the potential scale to meet amazons requirement, both of which are partially controlled by DC this moment.