2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Atlanta Area Country Clubs; Slight Twist on a Common Topic

ctfuzz21

Hello WRX'ers!

I thought I would consult the WRX family for a slightly different twist on a common topic; advice regarding a club to join.

My wife and I are moving to Atlanta from Chicago the first week of January. We are planning on renting for a few months until we figure out where we would like to buy a home. My wife will be needing to commute into the city 4 days/ week (around the Olympic Park area). I will be working from a home office. Would like to keep her commute to under 45 minutes (if possible).

Here's where the twist comes in. We (mainly, I) will be considering the location of where to buy a home based on the proximity of a club/golf (in true WRX fashion). Obviously, there are other factors involved in the decision, (i.e. my wife's commute, property values, amenities in the community, school systems, etc), however, as we begin this process, I would like to be mindful of the golf and club options in these areas.

I have been lurking and reading the Southeast forum since Atlanta became an option this past summer, so I am not flying completely blind with the golf and clubs down there.

Here is a little more information about my wife & I and what I am looking for as it relates to a Club:

- I will be 34 when we look to join (early 2018); would like to take advantage of any Junior Options available

- Golf is priority #1 for me with a club; my wife does not golf nor play tennis (could change), but would like to have access to fitness programs

- I play to a 1 HCP, so a challenging course is not a deterrent, but a strong selling point

- We have never belonged to a club as up here the public courses are fantastic and plenty

- We will NOT know anybody down here, so we see joining a club as an opportunity to meet other couples

- We do NOT currently have kids, but that will (hopefully) be changing

- Budget: $2k-$5k/ year (depending on amenities, value, etc); Downstroke would need to be under $5k

I appreciate everybody's thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks!

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello WRX'ers!

I thought I would consult the WRX family for a slightly different twist on a common topic; advice regarding a club to join.

My wife and I are moving to Atlanta from Chicago the first week of January. We are planning on renting for a few months until we figure out where we would like to buy a home. My wife will be needing to commute into the city 4 days/ week (around the Olympic Park area). I will be working from a home office. Would like to keep her commute to under 45 minutes (if possible).

Here's where the twist comes in. We (mainly, I) will be considering the location of where to buy a home based on the proximity of a club/golf (in true WRX fashion). Obviously, there are other factors involved in the decision, (i.e. my wife's commute, property values, amenities in the community, school systems, etc), however, as we begin this process, I would like to be mindful of the golf and club options in these areas.

I have been lurking and reading the Southeast forum since Atlanta became an option this past summer, so I am not flying completely blind with the golf and clubs down there.

Here is a little more information about my wife & I and what I am looking for as it relates to a Club:

- I will be 34 when we look to join (early 2018); would like to take advantage of any Junior Options available

- Golf is priority #1 for me with a club; my wife does not golf nor play tennis (could change), but would like to have access to fitness programs

- I play to a 1 HCP, so a challenging course is not a deterrent, but a strong selling point

- We have never belonged to a club as up here the public courses are fantastic and plenty

- We will NOT know anybody down here, so we see joining a club as an opportunity to meet other couples

- We do NOT currently have kids, but that will (hopefully) be changing

- Budget: $2k-$5k/ year (depending on amenities, value, etc); Downstroke would need to be under $5k

I appreciate everybody's thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks!

Hey, we relocated here from St. Louis about 5 years ago...my wifes in laws live in Kenilworth...

We were in a similar boat...moved down here from midwest, didnt know anyone, no kids (we do have kids now)....good public golf is scarce in ATL unless you want to drive. We ended up joining Country Club of Roswell, it checks almost all of your boxes. Their intermediate (under 40) rates go by the youngest spouse. Great MGA league, super friendly people...very welcoming. Bonuses are family friendly when it comes time for that and great pool for the summer. Let me know if you have any questions...

I am a 16.4 handicap, but all of the tournaments are flighted...plenty of competition for sctatch golfers...

You pretty much have a bunch of options open to you. Obviously, as you move in closer to the city, you will be saving on the wife's commute time, but you will see the price of the club options go up. You will want to work/live close to your club if you plan on utilizing it during the week. Obviously working in a home office will cross off joining a club either near the office or near the house as that's one in the same.

Reach out to the clubs when you get down here to find out what courses you like. Across the top of the perimeter, from west-to-east, these are the clubs that probably hit a lot of your requirements (and there are others as well), but they all will have pros and cons, and you will just have to figure out what you like or don't like before making a decision:

Pinetree

Indian Hills

All the Club Corp Courses

CC Roswell

Rivermont

Standard Club

Berkeley Hills

You could also look south of the city at many of the Club Corp courses and others down there. There are people on these boards that probably represent membership at most of the clubs in the area and can fill you in more on the club aspects individually, but the best thing is going to be to reach out the club membership director/committee and go visit and make sure you play the golf course first. Also, pay attention to bent vs bermuda greens as well. Depending on when you play most of your golf, you are going to get different putting surfaces at different times of the year.

If you are visiting and playing in the spring, the bent green courses are going to seem superior to the courses with bermuda grass, but in the summer it will definitely be the opposite (unless you are at Peachtree, Capital City or Country Club). The bermuda grass will be a better surface during those hot months of the year.

1. You'll have to stay ITP (inside the perimeter) if you want your wife's commute under 45 mins. Dunwoody/Sandy springs might suffice around that desired commute time.

2. The clubs in that area are all 15k+ initiation, with ~400-500 dues even as a junior.

3. That leaves you with either A. Your wife's commute being at an hour. B: you head north for golf (20-30 min commute) or C: gotta budget more $.

East Roswell might be a start. Easy access to GA400 or I85 and rivermont is an active, affordable, and good club. Cc of Roswell is in that area as well. I personally don't like the CCR golf course at all.

Other super active clubs, within your price point to consider within 30 minutes of Roswell/dunwoody/Marietta.

Manor (Alpharetta) - they were running a silly good deal in the summer. Golf members aren't super active yet.

Berkeley hills - packed membership - lots of good players

Polo - very active membership - lots of games etc

Pine tree (kennesaw)

Thank you guys for all the great input!

When we first began our search (before my wife accepted the job downtown), we were looking more in the northeast and I had been really intrigued by The Standard Club. I have enjoyed most Arthur Hills courses that I have played and he designed my home course up here. Pricing, from what I found online, seems to be favorable, as well.

Recently, we have been looking at a few homes in Powder Springs, but that seems to be removed from a lot of the clubs that check the value and golf boxes. We extended our search into Kennesaw and Acworth, which would conceivably open Pinetree. I was doing some research today on Pinetree and it seems everybody has nice things to say about the course and greens, especially, but the rest of the experience is just so-so.

I was curious about the Governors Towne Club. From the pictures it looks very nice, but I had a hard time finding much information about the actual course (or people's experience) and the cost (no idea if it is in my price range or not).

The Club Corp option seems interesting, but from the 15 or so Topics I have been stalking, it really seems to be a mixed bag for most. It almost seems more like the public golf scene up here and less like private club(s).

The idea of active memberships with lots of games and competition is exactly what I am looking for, but I want to make sure that I do not end up in a scenario where it becomes a challenge getting a tee time either.

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

The closer you get to the perimeter, the less golf options you have unless you have a big budget. The Alpharetta/Roswell area has good schools, real estate and best golf options. Powder Springs is a growing area with the big tech companies building facilities. Several golf options with Club Corp all around town offer golf and club amenities. Sandy Springs is nice place to live but 30-40 drive to most golf courses worth playing.

Message me when you get into town and we can play White Columns, The Manor, Echelon and other courses north of the city. I think you will enjoy these best.

For something you may not have thought about, I would check out peachtree city area. Further away from downtown than Roswell, Dunwoody etc... but with traffic probably ends up about the same or maybe even less because you’re going against traffic. Great golf down there with plenty of options and just a really cool vibe and community. Housing can be much cheaper down there as well.

Is Marta an option for your wife’s commute?

Possibly. She was looking at different commute options and where she could catch the train and how far of a walk it would be.

Completely off the golf subject: how easy/safe/useful is MARTA for commuting into the city? (very general & subjective question, I know)

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

For something you may not have thought about, I would check out peachtree city area. Further away from downtown than Roswell, Dunwoody etc... but with traffic probably ends up about the same or maybe even less because you’re going against traffic. Great golf down there with plenty of options and just a really cool vibe and community. Housing can be much cheaper down there as well.

Thanks Lincoln! We hadn't even consider south of the city as we had ever really only been in the northern and eastern areas.

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

Sub 45 min commute in Atlanta? Good luck.

Your wife will ride MARTA once.

Hahahahaha!!!! That was sort of my thought too!

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

Is there a lot of competitive golf to be played down there? Up here, there's very strong support for the Golfweek Am Tour in Chicago and the CDGA has a full schedule of tournaments (Golf Channel Tour is up here too, but have never played in one of those events).

Oddly enough, in WI (I'm in the middle between Chicago & Milwaukee) competitive golf is not nearly as well supported or sought after.

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

For something you may not have thought about, I would check out peachtree city area. Further away from downtown than Roswell, Dunwoody etc... but with traffic probably ends up about the same or maybe even less because you're going against traffic. Great golf down there with plenty of options and just a really cool vibe and community. Housing can be much cheaper down there as well.

Thanks Lincoln! We hadn't even consider south of the city as we had ever really only been in the northern and eastern areas.

Worth checking out for sure. The town of Peachtree city is pretty cool, was designed with golf carts in mind and lots of residents drive golf carts everywhere, to dinner, shops, office etc....Great place for kids.

When we first began our search (before my wife accepted the job downtown), we were looking more in the northeast and I had been really intrigued by The Standard Club. I have enjoyed most Arthur Hills courses that I have played and he designed my home course up here. Pricing, from what I found online, seems to be favorable, as well.

Recently, we have been looking at a few homes in Powder Springs, but that seems to be removed from a lot of the clubs that check the value and golf boxes. We extended our search into Kennesaw and Acworth, which would conceivably open Pinetree. I was doing some research today on Pinetree and it seems everybody has nice things to say about the course and greens, especially, but the rest of the experience is just so-so.

I was curious about the Governors Towne Club. From the pictures it looks very nice, but I had a hard time finding much information about the actual course (or people's experience) and the cost (no idea if it is in my price range or not).

The Club Corp option seems interesting, but from the 15 or so Topics I have been stalking, it really seems to be a mixed bag for most. It almost seems more like the public golf scene up here and less like private club(s).

The idea of active memberships with lots of games and competition is exactly what I am looking for, but I want to make sure that I do not end up in a scenario where it becomes a challenge getting a tee time either.

1. Standard club is legit. Very nice. An old Jewish only club that was forced to open membership to all after falling on hard times during recession. Johns creek ga is also a good area of Atlanta.

2. Pine tree has ELITE greens. Tif eagle greens that run a consistent 13+. Course layout is MEH at best.

3. Governors Towne club is interesting. IMO, one of the best layouts in Atlanta. Pure golf course, beautiful. However, it's public (or semi private)... it's been in foreclosure recently and not sure how stable the course is. HUGE clubhouse and facilities that sit there half finished like a ghost town. Haven't been there in a couple of years. Did love the golf course though.

4. I'm a member of a clubcorp facility in north Atlanta. Love it. Fantastic membership base at my home club. Games galore, great guys, easy to get tee times, and love the options to play 20+ other tracks for cart fee as well.

Now, I will say picking the right clubcorp facility is important. Some are overcrowded and packed like a Walmart. Others are not. PM if you want further details.

Hello there! First of all, I hope you love Atlanta and find its charm appealing. I would suggest looking in the Peachtree Corners or Johns Creek areas to live and check out Rivermont, The Standard Club, and Atlanta Athletic Club (I heard their Junior Exec memberships are VERY reasonable right now). I was a member of Rivermont for a few years and the only reason I dropped it was due to work travel and not being able to play it as much as I wanted. I've played at all three clubs I suggested and Rivermont and AAC-Highlands were my favorite courses, with Standard and AAC-Riverside being great courses also.

With that said, I am also a ClubCorp member on the northside of town and I like that I can play over 20 courses in Metro Atlanta and many other courses when I travel. Most places I go in my travels have a ClubCorp course, so it's been well worth the money for me.

Whatever you choose, be sure to let us know!!! Good luck!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

So clubcorp and John's Creek / Alpharetta.... Avoid Windermere/Olde Atlanta as your home club. Way too busy all the time. The rest range from pretty good to great but you will pay more for that. It's worth it IMO. I can always get a tee time at home, but can play some nice courses for cart fee if I want variety. If I'm forced to play winderdump or o'atranta, it's an option.

Your wife's commute will really stink...

Decatur/Oakhurst is probably the best place to live. Druid doesn't quite match your list but it's a great place in the middle of the perimeter.

Ping G LS - UST proforce V2 7
Ping G 3 Wood
Apex 18
Srixon 965 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
52 Titleist, 60/64 Callaway pm grind
Black Lab BL-2 | Bellum Winmore 707 | Circa 62 #3

First of all, I appreciate everybody' taking the time to respond and provide some feedback! Very much appreciated!

We are heading down in a couple of weeks to take a look at a few apartments and temporary options. We are officially moving after the 1st of the year. So, we are planning on spending a few months getting to know the area and then buying once we have a better lay of the land.

I don't think we are looking at being ITP. We've been in the suburbs here in the Chicagoland for awhile and that tends to be more our speed. We also are looking forward to a little more space for hosting family and friends and a bigger yard for future children. It appears from that side, OTP is what we are likely looking at.

Now, the Club Corp route: what Clubs are the popular ones? Are they popular bc the rest aren't worth playing or is it a location thing? That's kind of a foreign concept up here.

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RE: Club Corp Options

Assuming northside of town.. imo.

1. The Manor

Tom Watson design. OUTSTANDING facilities. It's my favorite course for sure. Not a big golf group out there yet from my understanding.

2. White Columns

Tom Fazio design. GREAT course and membership base.

3. Atlanta National

Pete Dye design. Course is outstanding. People who work there are miserable *****s for the most part.

4. Country club of the south

Jack Nicklaus design. Always in really good shape with a very active membership base. I think the course sucks. Really quirky and needs to be opened up.

5. Polo golf & CC

Joe Lee design. Prob best bang for your buck. Good conditions & super active membership base.

6. Laurel Springs GC

Nicklaus group design. Course is in good shape, but not a fan of layout. Feel as if it's overcrowded a bit as well.

7. Brookfield CC

wouldn't consider - old school quirky course

Windermere/olde Atlanta - don't do it

Club Corp courses have different options. The public courses acquired from Cannongate are former public/semi private facilities. These are Windermere, Olde Atlanta, Eagle Watch, Bentwater and others on the south side. They tend to be more crowded because the memberships are less expensive up front and monthly, $300-400/month. But most only offer golf with limited Tennis and pool options, more for the homeowners.

The nicer courses are more pricey, White Columns(my home course), The Manor, Atlanta National and Country Club of the South. About $5k-15K initiations and $600+/month. These are the better courses(condition and facilities) and have better amenities, tennis, workout and pool complexes. My club has many member events from dining, wine events, kids events and holiday themed. Most of the clubs have gone thru major renovations in the last 2 years to update the club houses dining areas. The best value in Club Corp is the Champions membership for WC, AN and Man combined unlimited golf at all 3 clubs.

As far as competition, check out the GSGA website. They sponsor member play days and events all over Georgia for all levels. I played in a member play day at St. Ives in Johns Creek, very nice exclusive club. They also sponsor USGA qualifying events and championships at all levels.

Surprised no one has mentioned Eagle's Landing. It checks all the boxes. Great amenities, gated community close to the course, huge clubhouse, Fazio track, 27 holes, good players within the membership and the local area (including a former US Mid Am Champion and the current third ranked men's D1 player), former LPGA tournament course, owned by Club Corp, inexpensive initiation, inexpensive dues, very large homes within the community, close to the interstate, and economical property values.

The only questionable part is traffic. It's about 25 miles from downtown but it can take 45 minutes some days and a full hour on other days, however, much closer than Peachtree City. Also, the schools are okay. Certainly not the best but certainly not the worst. With all the money you save over some other areas in Metro Atlanta, you can look into private schools.

i've been a member at TSC for almost a yr now. Getting a tee time is no-issue due to low # of members. Big golf community with lot of golf tourneys thru-out the year. PM me if you have any questions.

Decatur/Oakhurst is probably the best place to live. Druid doesn't quite match your list but it's a great place in the middle of the perimeter.

Based on OP's original post, what doesn't match?

Straight cash homie

What is the going rate for initiation / dues to Druid Hills for someone under 35? I reached out a while back, but unfortunately they would give me no info without a sponsoring member. Location wise, that is the best club for me and somewhere I'd really like to pursue depending on where the cost comes out.

GT and I have had our disagreements about Laurel (my club) and pace etc. but his review is pretty solid.

The manor is newest and quite the overall facility. Tom Watson design.

White columns is a great course. Good mix of holes. Seldom see houses.

Atl National. Seldom see houses. Hard Pete/PB Dye course.

Polo can have drainage problems, but agree about the value. Front side is a little bland, backside gets interesting.

CCOS is a bit tricked up. Not long. Nicklaus course. Big money homes.

Laurel is a test, rewarding good shots. No stopping at the turn, just a gas grill at 9 on the weekends. 1, 9 and 18 are always CPO. Only one par 5 offers eagle opportunities.

Never played brookfield but heard the same.

RE: Club Corp Options

Assuming northside of town.. imo.

1. The Manor

Tom Watson design. OUTSTANDING facilities. It's my favorite course for sure. Not a big golf group out there yet from my understanding.

2. White Columns

Tom Fazio design. GREAT course and membership base.

3. Atlanta National

Pete Dye design. Course is outstanding. People who work there are miserable *****s for the most part.

4. Country club of the south

Jack Nicklaus design. Always in really good shape with a very active membership base. I think the course sucks. Really quirky and needs to be opened up.

5. Polo golf & CC

Joe Lee design. Prob best bang for your buck. Good conditions & super active membership base.

6. Laurel Springs GC

Nicklaus group design. Course is in good shape, but not a fan of layout. Feel as if it's overcrowded a bit as well.

7. Brookfield CC

wouldn't consider - old school quirky course

Windermere/olde Atlanta - don't do it

CT - I just posted about this in another forum, and just saw this post - I’m in a similar boat. Moving to ATL from South Florida and am going to be joining a private club. I have the luxury of having lived in ATL before and having family here, so it gave me the advantage of knowing the lay of the land.

All of the advice on here has been good. I think your idea of renting for a few months before you get married to an area/club is your best bet. No matter what anyone says, ATL is a city where you have to figure out your own personal preferences. For me, golf-wise, I value the parkland style, where I can walk, with no homes on the course. I’m definitely a traditionalist in that sense. If that’s important to you, it severely limits your options (there just aren’t that many). I found Berkeley Hills to be perfect for me - it reminds me of East Lake. It isn’t East Lake, let me be clear, but the layout and the greens are excellent. I’m commuting to Perimeter North a few times a week, so NorthEast ATL made the most sense for me. I travel frequently as well, so having the option of taking MARTA to the airport is key.

A lot of people slam MARTA and the *ah hem* “quality of the riders” - but it just depends on what you’re used to. I’ve lived in NY/SF/LA - so if you’re open minded and know what to expect, MARTA is very convenient. So for your wife, I’d suggest living within proximity to a MARTA station.

Driving in ATL overall is kind of a nightmare frankly. And this is coming from someone that lived in LA for 7 years. Anyway, I would probably rent somewhere around perimeter so you wife can try to get used to taking MARTA. If that fails, at least it’s just temporary, it gives you time to vet the golf options so you can make an educated decision later.

Hope that helps!