2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Thousand Greens

I came across this "Club" the other day and was blown away when I found out that there was not a catch to it.

Thousand Greens is a provate, confidential and FREE community of golfers who belong to highly regarded and top rated private clubs, enjoy meeting other passionate golfers, and would like to play other private clubs as accompanied guests.

Thousand Greens has members from several world top 100 courses in the US, UK, Australia and Europe.

www.thousandgreens.com

Go and Check it out. If you have any questions contact Manish Goel at [email protected]

Hope to see you guys on the Links!!

I recently heard about this too. Looks really interesting. It's nice that the guy is doing it without really trying to make money. Most similar services charge you a fee (Outpost, Boxgroove etc)

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• 5 months later...

recently joined. the tier system is great. think they should rename the tiers instead off of tree types to something a bit more clear but not as brazen as bronze/silver/gold/platinum. only drawback is that, it seems you can't go as an unaccompanied guest which limits time opportunities to play, though i may soon find out that's not true. with boxgroove, albeit lower quality courses, you could "buy" times right out of a private pro shop and play unaccompanied which is nice

recently joined. the tier system is great. think they should rename the tiers instead off of tree types to something a bit more clear but not as brazen as bronze/silver/gold/platinum. only drawback is that, it seems you can't go as an unaccompanied guest which limits time opportunities to play, though i may soon find out that's not true. with boxgroove, albeit lower quality courses, you could "buy" times right out of a private pro shop and play unaccompanied which is nice

Agree on the tiers. The way they named them (I assume intentionally) makes it hard to understand where the tier stands - is moss better than sage?

I don’t think there’s anything holding you back from playing unaccompanied, if the club allows it (which many don’t). I agree that one of the challenges in the model is scheduling - I’ll get requests for like, next Wednesday at 1:00. I might be busy, the course might be busy, etc. i think over time people will adapt to make their requests less specific.

I signed up, and have already corresponded with several others on the site. I'll leave more feedback once I actually host someone, or take advantage of an offer to be hosted. I think this has potential, as long as they don't attempt to monetize the transaction or be perceived as "selling" access, which may violate Club policies. The emails and posts from the administrators are genuine and show an appreciation for reciprocity and collegiality. I am not prone to optimism, but the positive attitude of the founders gives me hope that this could work.

I signed up, and have already corresponded with several others on the site. I'll leave more feedback once I actually host someone, or take advantage of an offer to be hosted. I think this has potential, as long as they don't attempt to monetize the transaction or be perceived as "selling" access, which may violate Club policies. The emails and posts from the administrators are genuine and show an appreciation for reciprocity and collegiality. I am not prone to optimism, but the positive attitude of the founders gives me hope that this could work.

how would you define "selling access?

how would you define "selling access?" to me that would mean letting total strangers come to your club unaccompanied, having them sign the rounds back to your account, and them then reimbursing you for the round either at cost or at you making a profit. beyond that, I don't believe a club can investigate who your guests are and how you know them, unless they violate club rules. do you disagree?

Allowing anybody to the club (but especially total strangers) at a profit. Our club acknowledges that there are often times when you host people that you don't know (business guests, charity rounds, etc.) - but we have a separate set of tee times set aside for these rounds. You'd be in hot water if you hosted a stranger in a time reserved for friends/family.

I wasn't trying to be accusatory. I honestly think this is a great site and have every hope it will succeed.

I was thinking more of the "token" system they have implemented. I think it is a novel idea, meant to ensure that there is always a give and take between requesting access and offering to host. I would hope that it never becomes a matter of simply purchasing tokens to allow someone to request more than they host. I also understand that there will always be more popular clubs that will allow certain hosts to accumulate more tokens than others. I don't suggest that I have an answer, I was just thinking out loud.

I think having the ability to opt-in to unaccompanied guests was a smart choice by the site. I would imagine that the only way I would ever accept a request to host someone unaccompanied would be if I had played with them previously.

Like I said, I think this is a great idea. Please don't take what I wrote to be a criticism or a negative review.

Agree that I think TG has a lot of potential. The tier and token system are interesting mechanisms to manage the network, and I assume they’ll be adjusted over time as the thing evolves.

From my POV, I’d like to see (and it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re working towards it) an opportunity for lower tiered members to “move up” based on how much they host at their own club.

I do think Thousand Greens is interesting but I see some potential issues in how they've slotted clubs in the tiers. I understand the desirability of various clubs in a few metro areas extremely well for a few reasons that I don't want to spend time on. I'd say that they get about 90% right (SWAG) but there are some notable exceptions both high and low. I haven't looked into it but I did immediately wonder about the process for change.

if i had to guess, some of their slotting is based upon accessibility. For example, there are about a half dozen very nice clubs around Boca / Palm Beach that they have slotted as olive when they could easily be moss. However, given the scarcity of snowbirds in that part of the country May through October, many private clubs in this area allow varying forms of public play. A perfect example is Bear Lakes CC, which you can get on May through October via the South Florida PGA Golf Pass. Just so happens that bear lakes is slotted as olive on thousand greens. i don't think its a stretch to say these two things are related.

I do think Thousand Greens is interesting but I see some potential issues in how they've slotted clubs in the tiers. I understand the desirability of various clubs in a few metro areas extremely well for a few reasons that I don't want to spend time on. I'd say that they get about 90% right (SWAG) but there are some notable exceptions both high and low. I haven't looked into it but I did immediately wonder about the process for change.

One of the things I like about Thousand Greens is that the tiers are not arbitrary - they work straight off the published lists. If you’re on a Top 100 in the World list, your tier is X, Top in State, your tier is Y. It’s as imperfect as the rankings themselves, but at least it doesn’t create hard feelings about who “should” be where.

One of the things I like about Thousand Greens is that the tiers are not arbitrary - they work straight off the published lists. If you’re on a Top 100 in the World list, your tier is X, Top in State, your tier is Y. It’s as imperfect as the rankings themselves, but at least it doesn’t create hard feelings about who “should” be where.

Thanks, I probably should have known that. That’s interesting. Ranking and desirability probably intersect at a rate like I estimated so it makes sense.

• 4 years later...

So I will say Thousand Greens is not worth $60. I got more requests which my club than I cared to respond to. Guys would get pissy if you declined. I had two awful experiences hosting: one guy was the text book definition of a tool and then stiffed me on the bill the other guy claimed to be a 6 handicap closer to a 26 then when it came time to settle up he said “omg I don’t have that type of money!” The third bad experience is I had declined a request during the week and I frankly did not like the guys request it was very entitled and bratty. Sent a message declining but I was nice and said maybe another time here’s my email. Guy proceeded to google my name and starts texting me begging for an unaccompanied I told

him to screw off.

I did meet a few good guys but they all also left thousand greens for the same reason I did. Also JP Entertainment their “partner” harasses you monthly begging you to host events. These emails became so annoying it made me leave thousand greens. Most clubs do not want you to host huge events the fact these guys are supposedly huge golfers and do not know this is disturbing. 

Also to call the founder Manish out he’s a member at MPCC and put it on mute. The founder of a golf network who wants us to share our clubs should not put his on mute and set an example. 

overall not worth $60

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MatthewStreeter said:

So I will say Thousand Greens is not worth $60. I got more requests which my club than I cared to respond to. Guys would get pissy if you declined. I had two awful experiences hosting: one guy was the text book definition of a tool and then stiffed me on the bill the other guy claimed to be a 6 handicap closer to a 26 then when it came time to settle up he said “omg I don’t have that type of money!” The third bad experience is I had declined a request during the week and I frankly did not like the guys request it was very entitled and bratty. Sent a message declining but I was nice and said maybe another time here’s my email. Guy proceeded to google my name and starts texting me begging for an unaccompanied I told

him to screw off.

I did meet a few good guys but they all also left thousand greens for the same reason I did. Also JP Entertainment their “partner” harasses you monthly begging you to host events. These emails became so annoying it made me leave thousand greens. Most clubs do not want you to host huge events the fact these guys are supposedly huge golfers and do not know this is disturbing. 

Also to call the founder Manish out he’s a member at MPCC and put it on mute. The founder of a golf network who wants us to share our clubs should not put his on mute and set an example. 

overall not worth $60

MPCC is not on TG because they asked Manish not to be and its the only club that could directly ask him to leave.  He is very upfront on this

19 hours ago, MatthewStreeter said:

him to screw off.

wow. this is not the typical experience and if you report anyone doing things like your bad experiences they get kicked off the site immediately.

• Thanks 1