2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Indoor simulator

TTGolf77

Figured I would show you one of the slight "discrepancies" you get used to seeing with the skytrak. This was from my little session tonight. 52* gap my 110-115 club, these two shots were back to back, same exact ball (TP5x), ball position, aim point. Not discounting it at all, it's a great tool for the price, but you will look at your screen with a crooked head at times.

WITB 2019 Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 10.5* 3W: TaylorMade 2017 M1 15* 3 iron: Titleist 718 T-MB 20* 4-P: Titleist 718 CB 52* Titleist TVD Mgrind 58* Titleist TVD Mgrind

What mats are you guys using and anyone using SkyTrak with The Golf Club game? I’m considering a build as well but don’t really have room for a projector so it would just be mat, net, SkyTrak, and computer in the carport or something. I’m sure the range part is fine hitting into a net but playing a sim might be kinda funky without s projector.

What mats are you guys using and anyone using SkyTrak with The Golf Club game? I’m considering a build as well but don’t really have room for a projector so it would just be mat, net, SkyTrak, and computer in the carport or something. I’m sure the range part is fine hitting into a net but playing a sim might be kinda funky without s projector.

I made my own TrueStrike mat for $175 (see writeup at https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/build-your-own/mats-turf-and-flooring/115414-diy-truestrike-gel-pad-4x5-mat-for-around-175).

No more elbow pain. :)

I made my own TrueStrike mat for $175 (see writeup at https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/build-your-own/mats-turf-and-flooring/115414-diy-truestrike-gel-pad-4x5-mat-for-around-175).

No more elbow pain. :)

I did the same thing. I actually used your post as a guide. You have saved my elbow. Thank you very much.

Another vote for SkyTrak. Short game practice is excellent and SkyTrak has been continuing to add features for skill assessment.

Best 2K I have spent for golf.

By the way....I would expect to see the normal $300 off sale for Father's day coming up pretty soon (mid-April).

Clark

global golf just sent me an email about $300 off right now. Is it worth $1700 new or just get one off ebay?

Another vote for SkyTrak. Short game practice is excellent and SkyTrak has been continuing to add features for skill assessment.

Best 2K I have spent for golf.

By the way....I would expect to see the normal $300 off sale for Father's day coming up pretty soon (mid-April).

Clark

global golf just sent me an email about $300 off right now. Is it worth $1700 new or just get one off ebay?

That’s as cheap as new units get. Just have to ask yourself is the peace of mind of the full warranty, getting it now, and knowledge of the history worth $300-400 (vs eBay used price) to you over the life of the unit?

Playing SIM on A TV is fine if you don't have budget or space for the projector or if like me haven't gotten around to setting up the projector and impact screen!

Using a TV also allows you to run a lower spec pc as it is less demanding to make it look good on the TV versus the projector

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

What mats are you guys using and anyone using SkyTrak with The Golf Club game? I'm considering a build as well but don't really have room for a projector so it would just be mat, net, SkyTrak, and computer in the carport or something. I'm sure the range part is fine hitting into a net but playing a sim might be kinda funky without s projector.

When I practice alone, I like playing without the projector on. I just use my tv. Not sure why. I guess I don't want to burn the projector bulb quickly? lol

When my friends come over, we always use the projector.

What type of scores do you guys shoot in The Golf Club (or any other SkyTrak sim) compared to real life? And it only helps your game right? I wouldn’t want to get overly used to playing on a mat and sim and hurt my real course game. I’d probably hit the sim like 10 times a week and the actual course I’m only able to play like 5 times a month. Shooting in the low 80s currently with great iron game but bad driver and short game.

I've never really understood why folks think it wouldn't carry over onto the course.

An 8iron that starts online, curves 5 yards and carries 160 on the SIM is close enough to real life for most players.

A driver that starts 4 degrees right and curves 30 and only carries 220 on the SIM isn't that far away from what you would see in real life results.

What the sim does is make you hit shots with targets and shapes and consequenceyou can see on screen rather than just in your head

Hitting from mats, sure it makes a difference on paper, but come on, you gonna show me someone that's stands and pures 1000 SIM balls and gets on the course and starts flubbing it???

Scores for what it's worth are a couple better on average but that's down to 6 foot gimmes. The SIM greens might be a little larger than you are used to depending on the courses you play in real life. I get more 50foot putts than I would on a course in Scotland

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

For wedges, you only need something that reads yardage’s and gives you accuracy that if you hit one with less power it correctly says the ball. I have an X2 (the best with skills app) but I have a MEVO and there is some good stuff with it giving launch angles and carry. I also have Skytrak and it is also not bad.

For those that use skytrak I have a question.

What is your computer/processor? I'd be hooking it up to a tv. I have an iPad mini2 and a laptop w/ an Intel core i3. I see they recommend iPad pro and core i5, but wasn't sure if I could get away with what I have given it's on a TV.

I use mine with an iPad mini2. Never tried hooking to a tv, but on the mini itself it runs quite well. Actually quicker then the pc my buddy uses.

With perfect golf I am around a 0 handicap vs 14 IRL. Really depends on your strengths weaknesses and courses you play. Putting, believe it or not, is much easier on sim than IRL after you get used to it. There is some massaging of the line to help with launch monitor inaccuracies on slow putts (more massaging the closer you get to the hole). You also know what to expect out of the rough, you always get a perfect lie, alignment should never be an issue, perfect aiming via minimap (no blind shots), elevation and wind are shown, never have a a tree in your back swing, and perhaps the biggest, most guys play way more rounds in sim than On the course. It’s 45 minutes for 18 holes. I am probably more on the extreme of the gap between sim and on the course. Primarily driven by playing 7-10 sim rounds per week and only on course 2-3 times per month. The area that has helped me the most are the partial wedges get dialed in a little better. Good luck! Sim golf is a blast! I started with a net and tv and moved to a projector. Both work just fine.

What type of scores do you guys shoot in The Golf Club (or any other SkyTrak sim) compared to real life? And it only helps your game right? I wouldn't want to get overly used to playing on a mat and sim and hurt my real course game. I'd probably hit the sim like 10 times a week and the actual course I'm only able to play like 5 times a month. Shooting in the low 80s currently with great iron game but bad driver and short game.

I shoot low 80's to mid 70's when I play the short courses that are similar to the ones in real life. When I play longer courses, I shoot mid 80's. When I play really bad, say ball striking is off, I shoot in the 90's, same with the courses that are really tight and long. So I would say it reflects my real game.

The only differences I would say is when I get to the bunkers, of course I cannot simulate same. When I get to the rough, though I cannot simulate rough, my ball speed goes down as the simulation software would calculate that. And also I always hit on flat and perfect mat surface but I play flat courses anyway irl. Other than those, it is better than no golf at all for us here in Canada.

Ever since we started playing indoors three years ago, our games improved come summer since we are able to preserve our swing through the winter. Unlike before, come summer, we were clueless how to play. lol

With perfect golf I am around a 0 handicap vs 14 IRL. Really depends on your strengths weaknesses and courses you play. Putting, believe it or not, is much easier on sim than IRL after you get used to it. There is some massaging of the line to help with launch monitor inaccuracies on slow putts (more massaging the closer you get to the hole). You also know what to expect out of the rough, you always get a perfect lie, alignment should never be an issue, perfect aiming via minimap (no blind shots), elevation and wind are shown, never have a a tree in your back swing, and perhaps the biggest, most guys play way more rounds in sim than On the course. It's 45 minutes for 18 holes. I am probably more on the extreme of the gap between sim and on the course. Primarily driven by playing 7-10 sim rounds per week and only on course 2-3 times per month. The area that has helped me the most are the partial wedges get dialed in a little better. Good luck! Sim golf is a blast! I started with a net and tv and moved to a projector. Both work just fine.

Something doesn't make sense here. You say with Perfect Golf you are a 0 handicap (which means scratch) and In Real Life you are a 14. That's either a mistake by you and you meant you're a 10 with Perfect Golf or I'm saying no way. I've been playing simulator golf on my setup for 4 years so I speak from plenty of experience. To score well indoors you still have to be a very good ball striker with a very good short game. If you are a 14 handicap outdoors that means your scores range from 85-95 roughly. That makes you a decent golfer AT BEST. No way you become a scratch golfer indoors. Not trying to be a jerk but it is what it is...a zero handicap indoors means you are shooting under par a good percentage of the time. A 90s shooter doesn't magically become that good....

Cobra LTDX driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 4-A

Sub 70 JB Forged 54/58/62

Lock N Roll Putter 

With perfect golf I am around a 0 handicap vs 14 IRL. Really depends on your strengths weaknesses and courses you play. Putting, believe it or not, is much easier on sim than IRL after you get used to it. There is some massaging of the line to help with launch monitor inaccuracies on slow putts (more massaging the closer you get to the hole). You also know what to expect out of the rough, you always get a perfect lie, alignment should never be an issue, perfect aiming via minimap (no blind shots), elevation and wind are shown, never have a a tree in your back swing, and perhaps the biggest, most guys play way more rounds in sim than On the course. It's 45 minutes for 18 holes. I am probably more on the extreme of the gap between sim and on the course. Primarily driven by playing 7-10 sim rounds per week and only on course 2-3 times per month. The area that has helped me the most are the partial wedges get dialed in a little better. Good luck! Sim golf is a blast! I started with a net and tv and moved to a projector. Both work just fine.

Something doesn't make sense here. You say with Perfect Golf you are a 0 handicap (which means scratch) and In Real Life you are a 14. That's either a mistake by you and you meant you're a 10 with Perfect Golf or I'm saying no way. I've been playing simulator golf on my setup for 4 years so I speak from plenty of experience. To score well indoors you still have to be a very good ball striker with a very good short game. If you are a 14 handicap outdoors that means your scores range from 85-95 roughly. That makes you a decent golfer AT BEST. No way you become a scratch golfer indoors. Not trying to be a jerk but it is what it is...a zero handicap indoors means you are shooting under par a good percentage of the time. A 90s shooter doesn't magically become that good....

http://simulation.onlinegolftour.net/player-profile.html?id=15825

You can see all my stats (including proximity) and scores. There is a bogey ESC I think for OGT. Its also last 16 rounds and not 20 but thats what it is. I hit the ball fairly far but I tend to spray it a bit. So you will find a strong correlation between tight courses and wide open courses and my scores. St Andrews on Sim is easier than Augusta for a sprayer as Tree are tougher to hit out of on sim.

Outdoors, my best score has been an 85 and worst is a 99 and average of 91.2 according to the GHIN app. I am hopeful my recent improvement in sim that dropped me to a 0 on sim translate outside. As recent as May, I was a 21 index outside.

Believe me, i would love to be better outdoors but I am not yet. I am better indoors. I play 5-7 rounds per week indoors. I get a perfect lie for short game and know how far I need to hit it and literally get to practice it much more. Outdoors my short game is not as good. I am much less likely to get up and down.

I am hopeful my game outdoors will improve quickly. I feel very close but just can't put an entire round together yet.

You will see my post above, I can't agree with 14-0 either.

I'm a UK 1 IRL and to shoot level par on the SIM I still gotta hit fairways and greens in regulation. SIM also introduces some 7000yard + courses that The hard to find in Scotland. Driver long iron all day isn't going to shoot level par unless they are are stuck well.

6 foot gimmies excluded

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

You will see my post above, I can't agree with 14-0 either. I'm a UK 1 IRL and to shoot level par on the SIM I still gotta hit fairways and greens in regulation. SIM also introduces some 7000yard + courses that The hard to find in Scotland. Driver long iron all day isn't going to shoot level par unless they are are stuck well. 6 foot gimmies excluded

For PG tour rounds, courses are always setup in the 6300-6800 range. The play with the pro's events that are setup at the TIPS and as close to what the pros are playing that week, I would never sniff an even par round.

http://simulation.on...e.html?id=15825

You can see all my stats (including proximity) and scores. There is a bogey ESC I think for OGT. Its also last 16 rounds and not 20 but thats what it is. I hit the ball fairly far but I tend to spray it a bit. So you will find a strong correlation between tight courses and wide open courses and my scores. St Andrews on Sim is easier than Augusta for a sprayer as Tree are tougher to hit out of on sim.

Outdoors, my best score has been an 85 and worst is a 99 and average of 91.2 according to the GHIN app. I am hopeful my recent improvement in sim that dropped me to a 0 on sim translate outside. As recent as May, I was a 21 index outside.

Believe me, i would love to be better outdoors but I am not yet. I am better indoors. I play 5-7 rounds per week indoors. I get a perfect lie for short game and know how far I need to hit it and literally get to practice it much more. Outdoors my short game is not as good. I am much less likely to get up and down.

I am hopeful my game outdoors will improve quickly. I feel very close but just can't put an entire round together yet.

I don't want to pile on but I looked at your scores and you're not a 0 handicap. There is something wrong with their calculation. You've only shot under par a few times out of 43 rounds. Furthermore, most of your rounds are high 70's to mid 80's with a few 90's and 100(!) thrown in there. Unless I'm also a scratch golfer, which I' am most certainly not, there is something wrong.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

You are welcome to pile on. Although you worked too hard. Only the last 16 rounds count and only the highlighted ones are used in the calc (top 8 differentials). It is also based on course difficulty too but I don’t know exactly (not sure it’s the same as Ghin caps or not). The last time my cap looked off when I asked because some of my lower gross scores weren’t being used and some higher ones were, epic meltdown holes were ESC’d down to double bogey and it was a lower differential.

Even if it turns out to be correct (not sure if it is), I am not a good zero in sim by any means. I would expect to perform poorly compared to other zeros or better. When you throw out 50% of your scores and ESC on meltdown holes, not every cap is created equally. I will take a look and see if the cap is off. Maybe the math is wrong and my cap should be higher. It wasn’t long ago I was an 8 or even higher in sim too.

Not to derail the thread further but I asked about my cap. They said it was adjusted for ESC and course difficulty for that setup. They run several AI’s through the course setting for stimp, conditions (wind), greens (soft vs firm), and determine a rati. For each round. So this is how my cap comes out. They said their rating is pretty accurate if you check out the leaderboards. Higher difficulty courses have very few rounds, if any, under net par gross.

They said the score related to par is not relevant similar to a real handicap that shooting even par on 68 rated course vs 74 is very different.

Going back to the original point, I can shoot much better scores on sim golf than real golf. Your mileage may vary and I did mention in my original post that my scores likely represent the extreme. Sim golf usually will expose your weaknesses and strengths.

d3faaedb39e63605a5845495f0e558d6.jpg

Golf sim forum is excellent especially for sim setups and learning about the Golf club but be aware they are the owners of The Golf Club and will moderate it heavily for competing software. Even some words are **** out when posted.

Sim golf is really fun and does help the real game.

I'm a zero in real life and a +8 in TGC simulator. You are hitting off a matt level lie every single time far easier putting and chipping. I've shot 59 multiple times on full swing golf simulator as well. It's a video game it's going to be way easier than real life....

You are hitting off a matt level lie every single time far easier putting and chipping.

Haven't played TGC but I've played E6.

Well, I'm not sure I agree that chipping is easier but on top of the other things you mentioned - they are usually set up for 'gimmies' closer then one might normally give in real life and they basically read the greens for you (at least they do in E6) so the putt count will usually be lower regardless. That alone is easily worth 4-5 strokes a round. And you can never really loose a ball. And if you go astray, trees and rocks (or anything else) can never get in the way of your swing and it's a lot easier to hit through brush and objects that might be in the way.

What mats have you guys been using? I'm very concerned about developing and pains or injuries. I don't know what mats they use over at the Lake Forest range I hit at but they don't seem super high quality or anything but I don't have pain with those. Then again I only hit like 300 balls a week there but at home I'll probably hit over 1000 a week easily. I'm leaning toward fiberbuilt just based off what I've read around the internet but am still unsure. I hear the country club elite is a good mat but causes lots of injuries and pains so I'm quite wary of that. I'm also liking the options and prices looking at the DivotAction mats. Truestrike seems a little pricey.

What do they use at the PGA superstore in irvine? I know the strip you hit off of and the one you stand on is different. The one used for hitting seems decent, I hit balls their fairly often too.

What mats have you guys been using? I'm very concerned about developing and pains or injuries. I don't know what mats they use over at the Lake Forest range I hit at but they don't seem super high quality or anything but I don't have pain with those. Then again I only hit like 300 balls a week there but at home I'll probably hit over 1000 a week easily. I'm leaning toward fiberbuilt just based off what I've read around the internet but am still unsure. I hear the country club elite is a good mat but causes lots of injuries and pains so I'm quite wary of that. I'm also liking the options and prices looking at the DivotAction mats. Truestrike seems a little pricey.

What do they use at the PGA superstore in irvine? I know the strip you hit off of and the one you stand on is different. The one used for hitting seems decent, I hit balls their fairly often too.

I went this route.

I have yet to have any elbow/wrist pain.

https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/build-your-own/mats-turf-and-flooring/115414-diy-truestrike-gel-pad-4x5-mat-for-around-175