ben hogan ft worth black irons

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Β 

Β 

I was told by Tyler that it's custom made by Ben Hogan which it's ok ok. He supposed to let me know the weight but it's .580 diameter.

Β 

That would make it play a hair oversized on Tour V’s then. Tour V is .600 butt. Putting a .580 grip on a .600 shaft makes it play just a hair bigger.

Β 

I play .580 ribbed Tour velvets on mine. I like them a titch big.

Β 

That would make it play a hair oversized on Tour V’s then. Tour V is .600 butt. Putting a .580 grip on a .600 shaft makes it play just a hair bigger.

Β 

I play .580 ribbed Tour velvets on mine. I like them a titch big.

Β 

Next two weeks, I will be testing couple grips to feel a bit more with my hands than the clubhead itself at this moment. I’ll try the new align velvet grip.

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

I had to send my VKTR Hybrid back a few months ago on a warranty claim. When they sent it back, it had that new grip on the club. I have always used standard grips and that grip was definitely at least a mid-size grip. Nice grip, but had to take it off. Too bulky for my liking.

9 Deg. Callaway XR Pro 16, Aldila ATX Tour Green S
14 Deg. Big Bertha Alpha 816, Aldila Rouge I/O 70 S
18 Deg. Ben Hogan VKTR, UST Mamiya IROD 75 S
Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 22-46, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120x
Tour Edge 50, X-100
Callaway MD 56, X-100
Cleveland 60, X-100
Odyssey 2-Ball Blade
Callaway Supersoft

Just wanted to share the pics which it seems like not a clean cutting job for my set. Going to replace the grips but will need to confirm all of my shafts are cutting ”perfectly” according to the chart.

Β 

Β 

Β 

| Pro V1

I’ve never liked that .75 inch from 6 to 5 and 5 to 4. Weird to me. I don’t want them oversized.

Β 

My PTX were the same but I trimmed them down to a β€œmore traditional” 38 and 38.5 and added a bit of lead tape to both.

Β 

By the way....if your clubs were all perfectly aligned and at 1/2 inch length differences, the first steps should all be dead aligned, except for the 9 and pitch, because they’d be 1/4 inch different. Of course if the 4 and 5 are longer then the steps would be off on those a bit.

7 iron seems to be a hair too long otherwise looks like their spot on according to the chart provided.

Β 

Agreed. If they are all lined up exactly right and on the ground the 7 is a hair too long. 1/8 inch maybe. No biggeee really.

Β 

Β 

Edit.....of course that could be a grip not being 100% seated all the way down as well.

is this right? shouldn't the steps all taper??

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Not when you have them like this with the grip butts on the ground. If all the clubs were cut in a 1/2 inch progression, the first steps should all line up. The exception would be the pitch and 9 because most companies set them up 1/4 inch different from each other instead of a 1/2. . Since the 4 and 5 are longer than standard with the hogans, the first steps on each of those should be 1/4 inch higher than β€œnormal”, as they are in the picture.

Β 

Β 

Conversely, if you line a set up with the heads all sitting on the ground, the first steps should all rise in 1/2 inch increments except for the pitch and 9, which would be identical, because most shaft companies use the same shaft for the 9 and the pitch. In this case, even though the 4 and 5 are longer, it would not effect the first step progression pattern when the heads are on the ground. They have simply been butt trimmed to a slightly longer finished length.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Not when you have them like this with the grip butts on the ground. If all the clubs were cut in a 1/2 inch progression, the first steps should all line up. The exception would be the pitch and 9 because most companies set them up 1/4 inch different from each other instead of a 1/2. . Since the 4 and 5 are longer than standard with the hogans, the first steps on each of those should be 1/4 inch higher than β€œnormal”, as they are in the picture. Conversely, if you line a set up with the heads all sitting on the ground, the first steps should all rise in 1/2 inch increments except for the pitch and 9, which would be identical, because most shaft companies use the same shaft for the 9 and the pitch. In this case, even though the 4 and 5 are longer, it would not effect the first step progression pattern when the heads are on the ground. They have simply been butt trimmed to a slightly longer finished length.

Β 

gotcha, they still dont line up all that great. i am not a club fitter, but that does not seem to be all that accurate to me.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have a set in the cart but I’m just not sure on shaf choice.

Β 

I don’t have much experience with KBS. Can anyone tell me what would be closest to the PX LZ 5.5?

Β 

And are the Recoil graphite shafts really the same price?

Β 

I don’t need these.......but I want them!

Β 

I’m in the same boat. Don’t need them but want them and my main hang up is I play the DG AMT X100 shaft. Not sure how the KBS X shaft would work for me.

Β 

I don’t have much experience with KBS. Can anyone tell me what would be closest to the PX LZ 5.5?

Β 

Β 

Β 

I’m in the same boat. Don’t need them but want them and my main hang up is I play the DG AMT X100 shaft. Not sure how the KBS X shaft would work for me.

Β 

Yep. I absolutely love black irons. And I’ve always thought the Hogan’s were some of the best looking clubs anyway.

Β 

I have a Recoil shaft in a Callaway hybrid that I love. I have no idea if there are any similarities or not, but I might just gamble.

Im in the same boat. Dont need them but want them and my main hang up is I play the DG AMT X100 shaft. Not sure how the KBS X shaft would work for me.

Β 

I never played X in my life but surprised with weaker loft and steel compared to my previous combo set of apex cf16/pro and recoil graphite shaft. Less than 3-5 yards difference but gained 50% more accuracy and better control in the distance than graphite and juiced tech club :) That's a big plus for me right now. Tour V S (110g) might be too light for me, so X is a right way for me to let go of my club during the downswing easier than the lighter shaft.

Β 

Now, I am replacing the grips and hoping to buy a FtW head only to test different shafts in the future.

| Pro V1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

If you want a completely unscientific opinion, since I have played X100 and I have Tour V120X in my PTx for 2 years. I will say that I find the KBS just slightly softer than X100. I also surprisingly spin them a hair less. They get up a bit faster for me then flatten out nicely. They are surprisingly good in the wind and can be flighted down easily.

Β 

I had no previous experience with them but I ended up really liking them. I put Sensicores in mine as well.

Β 

Everyone has been moaning about the lack of shaft choices on this thread and I agree it’s a problem, but the Tour V may surprise a lot of people.

Β 

I’m not sure if they will soft step, but that would be a great option if people want the 120 weight but a little softer feel.

I had no previous experience with them but I ended up really liking them. I put Sensicores in mine as well.

Β 

How much would the inserts from Prosoft or Sensicores affect the weight? Planning on using them when replacing the grips this week.

| Pro V1

Β 

How much would the inserts from Prosoft or Sensicores affect the weight? Planning on using them when replacing the grips this week.

Β 

It’s nearly negligible. Sensicores are 3 or 4 grams. Prosofts are 2-3 I think. It’s just foam. I’ve not used the prosofts but I may try them. I think I read on another thread that the Sensicores May have been discontinued.

Β 

They are inserted far enough down the shaft that they don’t effect swingweight. Not to go on a tangent about how swingweight works, but they sit in the shaft right around the pivot point of the scale so they don’t change the reading, they just add a few grams to the overall weight. Only hypersensitive people will notice a few extra grams. Some may consider it a positive thing if they like a bit more weight. I actually added two in my 8 and 9 to deliberately make them a bit heavier.

Β 

I have one each in my recoil 125 Prototypes in all my wedges as well. Graphite plus sensicores, The ultimate in shock killing. My fingers and shoulder thank me.

hogan is running a decent promo right now. ft worth HI, or hybrid for free with purchase of set. see promo below.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

If you want a completely unscientific opinion, since I have played X100 and I have Tour V120X in my PTx for 2 years. I will say that I find the KBS just slightly softer than X100. I also surprisingly spin them a hair less. They get up a bit faster for me then flatten out nicely. They are surprisingly good in the wind and can be flighted down easily.

Β 

Β 

Everyone has been moaning about the lack of shaft choices on this thread and I agree it’s a problem, but the Tour V may surprise a lot of people.

Β 

I’m not sure if they will soft step, but that would be a great option if people want the 120 weight but a little softer feel.

Β 

Really helpful, thanks!!

I wish I could get these with AMT's rather than have someone else install them. My biggest draw back right now. I'm not sure the KBS Tour V X flex is a fit for me is all.

Β 

Black shafts would be slick but maybe it's too much black??

Β 

Not being a Hogan apologist at all as I truly believe their shaft offerings are holding them back from getting recognition they deserve, especially from better players. If they aren't going to buck up for more shaft offerings then they need to have a heads only option. That would solve a lot of their issues IMO. I understand they dont want to be seen as a component company but a compromise has to be made somewhere and that is one that would work for both sides. I'm pretty sure a lot of better players would prefer if all the OEMs had a head only option and it could even get them a greater boost in sales and recognition in the long run.

Β 

With all of that said I would consider trying the tour v before making your decision. It ended up fitting my needs perfectly and is my go to shaft now. I have unique needs so that won't be the case for everyone but worth a try IMO.

Β 

Anyway I'm going to write Tyler an email pointing out this thread and others where everyone says they want more shaft options. I'll suggest the head only option even though I have already in the past. If anyone would like to see that option from Hogan definitely post about it here or email them yourselves. They are listening to what people say and if we provide them with an undeniable demand they will have to do something.

Β 

Spot on. Heads only would solve most of my issues. But I'd still prefer the professionals at Hogan to install, cut, and bend over the local golf galaxy.

Β 

I'm tall and have a flawed swing that works for me. I've accepted it and I know how to work around it. Smooth steady takeaway with an aggressive transition down firing hips through as hard as I can. My left arm doesn't always stay straight, especially in my longer irons and woods. My 3/4 swings are smooth and steady, less rotation all around, softer hands.

Β 

I played Ctaper 130X in Mizzy's a few years ago, loved them except for at the end of a long hot day, long irons especially, I struggled to load the heavier shaft properly. So I went to the DG AMT X100 in my irons and voila, it's been heavenly ever since. Even added a 2 iron to the bag which I never thought possible.

Β 

So I'm very partial to my gamers because of that. I'd have to pay $700 for the blacks, $300 roughly for the shafts again, pay someone to pull shafts, install new shafts cut and regrip. Easily looking to spend $1200. The ferrules wouldn't be the same though. And the grips are never quite aligned right either it seems unless done by the OEM.

Β 

Matching black equalizers would also look sharp in the bag alongside the Black Ft Worth's ;)

Can you buy your preferred shafts and grips and send them to Hogan? Don't see why they wouldn't install them for you.

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

I wish I could get these with AMT's rather than have someone else install them. My biggest draw back right now. I'm not sure the KBS Tour V X flex is a fit for me is all.

Β 

Black shafts would be slick but maybe it's too much black??

Β 

Not being a Hogan apologist at all as I truly believe their shaft offerings are holding them back from getting recognition they deserve, especially from better players. If they aren't going to buck up for more shaft offerings then they need to have a heads only option. That would solve a lot of their issues IMO. I understand they dont want to be seen as a component company but a compromise has to be made somewhere and that is one that would work for both sides. I'm pretty sure a lot of better players would prefer if all the OEMs had a head only option and it could even get them a greater boost in sales and recognition in the long run.

Β 

With all of that said I would consider trying the tour v before making your decision. It ended up fitting my needs perfectly and is my go to shaft now. I have unique needs so that won't be the case for everyone but worth a try IMO.

Β 

Anyway I'm going to write Tyler an email pointing out this thread and others where everyone says they want more shaft options. I'll suggest the head only option even though I have already in the past. If anyone would like to see that option from Hogan definitely post about it here or email them yourselves. They are listening to what people say and if we provide them with an undeniable demand they will have to do something.

Β 

Spot on. Heads only would solve most of my issues. But I'd still prefer the professionals at Hogan to install, cut, and bend over the local golf galaxy.

Β 

I'm tall and have a flawed swing that works for me. I've accepted it and I know how to work around it. Smooth steady takeaway with an aggressive transition down firing hips through as hard as I can. My left arm doesn't always stay straight, especially in my longer irons and woods. My 3/4 swings are smooth and steady, less rotation all around, softer hands.

Β 

I played Ctaper 130X in Mizzy's a few years ago, loved them except for at the end of a long hot day, long irons especially, I struggled to load the heavier shaft properly. So I went to the DG AMT X100 in my irons and voila, it's been heavenly ever since. Even added a 2 iron to the bag which I never thought possible.

Β 

So I'm very partial to my gamers because of that. I'd have to pay $700 for the blacks, $300 roughly for the shafts again, pay someone to pull shafts, install new shafts cut and regrip. Easily looking to spend $1200. The ferrules wouldn't be the same though. And the grips are never quite aligned right either it seems unless done by the OEM.

Β 

Matching black equalizers would also look sharp in the bag alongside the Black Ft Worth's ;)

Can you buy your preferred shafts and grips and send them to Hogan? Don't see why they wouldn't install them for you.

Β 

Good question!! Never thought to ask.

if they are listening, Please expand the ft worth Hi offering. thanks.

BALL; Chrome Soft X