Couldn't golf so I went skydiving instead

tcarrow

Took a day off work for my wife's birthday. It was a nice day out, but she doesn't really like playing golf. She had mentioned she'd like to go skydiving one day, but I was strictly opposed to it. So there we were, strapped to a couple of guys who looked like they dropped out of school in 7th grade, flying in a small prop plane that could've been built by one of their dropout friends. We get to 5000' and some idiot opens the door. A couple of seconds later this dude literally jumped out of the plane. It is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Obviously I knew what I was getting myself into, but until you see someone actually jump out of a plane from that high up you don't really understand. Another person jumped then they shut the door. We continued our climb to 13500' and my instructor began tightening our gear. He apologized for the 'flashlight'. They opened the door again and it was much colder this time. My wife went first. I had full trust in these guys at that point (because what other option did I have?)' but it crossed my mind that that would be the last time I saw her alive. I'm up next. My instructor positioned me halfway outside, with my feet wrapped under plane. He rocked once, then all I felt was wind. 120 mph of wind right in the face. We were in free fall for 60 seconds. It was a weird combination of feeling like a blur, and wondering if he was ever going to pull the ripcord. He did, right as we were passing through the clouds. Then it was about 4 minutes of peaceful sightseeing with a few roller coaster-like maneuvers mixed in. We descended to about 200' and he dropped us straight down (or so it felt). Just before we hit the ground he pulled on the canopy strings, slowed our speed and landed us softly. It felt so great to be back on the ground, upright and walking. In a word, it was INTENSE. Normal life kind of felt a little boring for the next few days, like I was missing out on something so much more significant. But I've eventually come to my senses (I think). All said, I would recommend giving it a try.

Has anyone else been? I'd like to hear about your experience.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a day off work for my wife's birthday. It was a nice day out, but she doesn't really like playing golf. She had mentioned she'd like to go skydiving one day, but I was strictly opposed to it. So there we were, strapped to a couple of guys who looked like they dropped out of school in 7th grade, flying in a small prop plane that could've been built by one of their dropout friends. We get to 5000' and some idiot opens the door. A couple of seconds later this dude literally jumped out of the plane. It is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Obviously I knew what I was getting myself into, but until you see someone actually jump out of a plane from that high up you don't really understand. Another person jumped then they shut the door. We continued our climb to 13500' and my instructor began tightening our gear. He apologized for the 'flashlight'. They opened the door again and it was much colder this time. My wife went first. I had full trust in these guys at that point (because what other option did I have?)' but it crossed my mind that that would be the last time I saw her alive. I'm up next. My instructor positioned me halfway outside, with my feet wrapped under plane. He rocked once, then all I felt was wind. 120 mph of wind right in the face. We were in free fall for 60 seconds. It was a weird combination of feeling like a blur, and wondering if he was ever going to pull the ripcord. He did, right as we were passing through the clouds. Then it was about 4 minutes of peaceful sightseeing with a few roller coaster-like maneuvers mixed in. We descended to about 200' and he dropped us straight down (or so it felt). Just before we hit the ground he pulled on the canopy strings, slowed our speed and landed us softly. It felt so great to be back on the ground, upright and walking. In a word, it was INTENSE. Normal life kind of felt a little boring for the next few days, like I was missing out on something so much more significant. But I've eventually come to my senses (I think). All said, I would recommend giving it a try.

Has anyone else been? I'd like to hear about your experience.

I haven't (and wouldn't), but my 78 year old father did it last year. He loved it.

My son is Army Airborne stationed overseas, jumping out of C-17's and C-130's. I've been thinking about doing a jump with him when he comes home on leave. My only concern is my knees aren't in the best shape.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Yeah. I did a tandem jump about 25 years ago from 13000 feet. First chute was a streamer and the guy had to cut away. Thankfully the second chute opened. I had no idea what happened.. After second chute opened we could now hear each other. He said, "Look over to the right". So I looked over and saw our first chute falling and he told me what happened. I wasn't shaken at all hearing the news. But,, after landing and a few minutes for it to sink in, I became pretty darned shaky. Took me prob an hour to calm down. My pro, my tandem guy, don't know what to call him, well, he was very shaken since it had never happened to him before. I think he said he had done hundreds of jumps without a hitch. Once is enough for me.

Yeah. I did a tandem jump about 25 years ago from 13000 feet. First chute was a streamer and the guy had to cut away. Thankfully the second chute opened. I had no idea what happened.. After second chute opened we could now hear each other. He said, "Look over to the right". So I looked over and saw our first chute falling and he told me what happened. I wasn't shaken at all hearing the news. But,, after landing and a few minutes for it to sink in, I became pretty darned shaky. Took me prob an hour to calm down. My pro, my tandem guy, don't know what to call him, well, he was very shaken since it had never happened to him before. I think he said he had done hundreds of jumps without a hitch. Once is enough for me.

Now that's scary!

My son is Army Airborne stationed overseas, jumping out of C-17's and C-130's. I've been thinking about doing a jump with him when he comes home on leave. My only concern is my knees aren't in the best shape.

I found that my back was a little sore the next day. Could've been the arched position in free fall or the compression when the parachute opened? Or it could've been I slept wrong. It wasn't bad and it went away by the next day. I think your knees could handle it provided you had a soft landing like I did.

I still see no reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane!

Of course, jumpers say there’s no such thing as a perfectly good plane....

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

i'd recommend it to anyone considering it. i've done it once and it was great. I would definitely go again. as much of a thrill the freefall is, the few minutes drifting down with the views are pretty great too. i'm taller than the instructor who i was attached to so we did a soft slide feet first coming down but most others looked to have a pretty soft landing.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Of course, jumpers say there's no such thing as a perfectly good plane....

You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you... I 'spose you're taking some kind of risk with both, but same with the reward part. I fly a lot with my son who is a private pilot so that is lots of fun for me, looking down from above and gathering in the view is just wonderful. But doing it with a parachute, no way, so those of you who do it or have done it-hats off! I guess I feel safer though in a plane, cause I have epilepsy, so I can't take it up as a regular pastime. I don't have the grand mals any more, just complex partials where you phase out, not very conducive to plane jumping :) And... special hats off to those who jump or have jumped in the service... :hi:

Of course, jumpers say there's no such thing as a perfectly good plane....

You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed, skydiving definitely isn't for you... I 'spose you're taking some kind of risk with both, but same with the reward part. I fly a lot with my son who is a private pilot so that is lots of fun for me, looking down from above and gathering in the view is just wonderful. But doing it with a parachute, no way, so those of you who do it or have done it-hats off! I guess I feel safer though in a plane, cause I have epilepsy, so I can't take it up as a regular pastime. I don't have the grand mals any more, just complex partials where you phase out, not very conducive to plane jumping :) And... special hats off to those who jump or have jumped in the service... :hi:

Well said Sixty. The really neat thing about my dad's jump was he did it with my 20 year old niece (whom he's been the main father figure to) who is a paratrooper for the National Guard. It was a really neat deal for both of them.

MtlJeff will never skydive, never ever ever.....I'm afraid of heights which is a bad place to start, i also don't like flying. It's a double whammy

My brother has jumped out of 100 planes as he was a military guy for a long time.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique