Maltby TS2

Popeye64

3 hours ago, high5golf said:

How do you do the swing weight part? This is elusive to me

Specify what swingweight you want when you order.  Golfworks will build the single iron to your specs.  Can tweak as mentioned above with lead tape if you want to experiment.  Could then order the rest of the set to those specs, built by GW.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

7 hours ago, mstuewe said:

I just finished building a set of TE+ with X7’s.  I like them.  Feel good, they’ve performed well on the course, and I received compliments about how great they look in a tournament I played over the weekend.

So of course now Im testing TS1 IM’s again to see if I should switch to those.  I blame all of you.

Why not TS4’s?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, high5golf said:

Why not TS4’s?

When I looked back at my dispersion from my earlier testing, it was tightest with the TS1 IM’s.  I wrote the IM’s off because of the low spin, but i figure I can just play a spinnier ball.  I also have the original TS1’s which had similar low spin characteristics and played my best golf ever with them.

If the dispersion holds true compared to the TE+ I will go with those.  I might consider a TS4 in a PW once I see the gapping between my TE+/TS1 IM 44.   

I am also hoping the TS1 IM 3 iron is a bomber off the tee.  

Edited by mstuewe

12 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

I asked GW to modify Swingweight on a build of mine that was 1/2” long and they said they could not do it.  Perhaps they will if they are adding head weight to increase swingweight, but they would not decrease for me. 

Reducing swingweight on an overlength club is not as easy as increasing it.  You can drill out the hosel to reduce head weight, or you can add weight to the grip end with a counter weight or a heavier grip.  In reality, you are just fooling the scale.  How it feels to you is what matters.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wjmfour1 said:

Currently play KE4 MAX with Elevate 95 Gram shafts.. went to this head due to all the feedback about how forgiving they are toe side which is my miss.. but God I miss my DBM Forged! Anyone know how much more forgiveness I am actually gaining?

It would depend on what exactly your impact pattern is.  Do you tend to miss 1/4" towards the toe...1/2" or more?  I don't think anyone can really give you a % increase comparison for forgiveness.  The Golfworks would simply say that the MAX are one category higher on their scale.

I would say in general that the MAX are more forgiving if you hit way towards the toe,....but if your pattern is just a little that way, then there isn't a big difference.

Remember that all of their iron designs are friendly on the toe side of center.  It's just that some have a center that is further out from the hosel than others, with a longer blade length.

• Like 1

Based on my question on the Maltby forum, it does not look like they are planning a heavier graphite iron shaft in the MPF update due this year. Which is too bad because I think there is a large number of players that would be very interested in them if they were available. I've tried the lighter shaft with same swing weight and could just not swing it consistently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, high5golf said:

I’m confused why the TS3 and TE+ both exist. Can anyone explain the difference for me? Many thank yous 

Probably just for a different profile look.  Some players prefer a look with a little more "meat" to it, which is what the TS3 has with a bit thicker top-line.  The blade length also doesn't look quite as long on it in comparison to the TE+

1 hour ago, high5golf said:

I’m confused why the TS3 and TE+ both exist. Can anyone explain the difference for me? Many thank yous 

TS3 has progressive cavities and tungsten forged in the toe along with progressive offset and the TE+  doesn't have tungsten weight in the toe and the offset is constant throughout the set.

21 minutes ago, Gopher68 said:

TS3 has progressive cavities and tungsten forged in the toe along with progressive offset and the TE+  doesn't have tungsten weight in the toe and the offset is constant throughout the set.

The VCOG is also lower in the TS3 vs the TE+. 

maltby mpfs.JPG

TS3.jpg

TE+4.jpg

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

4 hours ago, high5golf said:

I believe they felt obligated to extend the legacy design of the TE forged.   It has had several iterations since the early 2000's and has been a true classic.   Some will find it fit them..   Most will prefer one of the other three.

So many great choices..

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I, like many of you recently it would seem, convinced myself that the ts4 was too cool to pass up and so I ordered them in the scoring irons for a mix bag approach (with ts3s). Got them in over the weekend but due to weather and work only finally got to play them today.

All I got to say is: Damn. Daaamn. Damn man. These things are absolutely ridiculously great. I love my TS3s, and always thought "damn these are forgiving." But there must be something in the way my TS4s make me think and feel because today was just...different. These things felt perfect every time man.

I figured I would lose distance due to the increased loft but honestly everything was spot on and a couple of times I actually flew it too far. Could be shaft, I don't know but just...damn. Would suggest anyone give it a shot if they've been curious. 

Edited by groovingrover
Grammar
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, groovingrover said:

I, like many of you recently it would seem, convinced myself that the ts4 was too cool to pass up and so I ordered them in the scoring irons for a mix bag approach (with ts3s). Got them in over the weekend but due to weather and work only finally got to play them today.

All I got to say is: Damn. Daaamn. Damn man. These things are absolutely ridiculously great. I love my TS3s, and always thought "damn these are forgiving." But there must be something in the way my TS4s make me think and feel because today was just...different. These things felt perfect every time man.

I figured I would lose distance due to the increased loft but honestly everything was spot on and a couple of times I actually flew it too far. Could be shaft, I don't know but just...damn. Would suggest anyone give it a shot if they've been curious. 

way to go... I have been holding on...   barely.   I have had the TS-3 since they came out, and then the TS-1IM since Christmas...  NOW-- I have the Rapport Core Blue waiting for a 6-GW set of TS-4.     I keep saying...  September...  THEN-- you and others keep posting.   LOL. 

I have not idea what I will do with three fantastic iron sets...  but I look forward to finding out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, groovingrover said:

8-G? Same shaft as your TS3? Any itch to go full ts4? (The difference between the two club finishes would drive me nuts LOL)

2 hours ago, high5golf said:

Britt mention on RM.com that they’d in talks to release black versions of the TS series 🤤 

I have a 4 iron in TE+ Black; I go 5-GW in TS4 and I wanted to both have a lower COG in the 4 iron as I don’t have the speed to hit long irons high and I was excited to try the finish. 

Have to say it’s left me a little underwhelmed in both the feel and durability; I’ve had limited course and range time and the face already has several marks that won’t scrub out. 

The performance and design of the club are fantastic, like the TS4s. But I probably would have waited for the black finish before and now I’m glad I have the Pearl chrome on the TS4s. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, PAHack said:

I have a 4 iron in TE+ Black; I go 5-GW in TS4 and I wanted to both have a lower COG in the 4 iron as I don’t have the speed to hit long irons high and I was excited to try the finish. 

Have to say it’s left me a little underwhelmed in both the feel and durability; I’ve had limited course and range time and the face already has several marks that won’t scrub out. 

The performance and design of the club are fantastic, like the TS4s. But I probably would have waited for the black finish before and now I’m glad I have the Pearl chrome on the TS4s. 

God to know. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for this from others here when/if it gets released. Part of my decision to buy the TS1IMs was the rumor that the TS4 will be coming in black. 

Edited by Bryceslu

4 hours ago, high5golf said:

8-G? Same shaft as your TS3? Any itch to go full ts4? (The difference between the two club finishes would drive me nuts LOL)

Yeah I went 8-GW, but I actually did switch up the shaft. I followed @vandyfan's lead and tried some FSTs to save some money, only I went with the stepless. It's funny you ask about the itch because my first thought getting in the car on the way home was "man I should complete the set." Which is kind of ridiculous because the gapping isn't terrible (I believe the 7i is only a degree difference?) and 54* and 58* wedges really makes more sense as the next play. 

So short story long, yes the thought IMMEDIATELY crept into mind that I should go ts4s throughout. Such a sexual lovely experience. 

(FWIW I keep a KE4 Max 4i as a "driving iron" that I mostly take off the tee so I suppose I'm now playing a double mixed bag). 

4 hours ago, groovingrover said:

Yeah I went 8-GW, but I actually did switch up the shaft. I followed @vandyfan's lead and tried some FSTs to save some money, only I went with the stepless. It's funny you ask about the itch because my first thought getting in the car on the way home was "man I should complete the set." Which is kind of ridiculous because the gapping isn't terrible (I believe the 7i is only a degree difference?) and 54* and 58* wedges really makes more sense as the next play. 

After a few months with the FST 125 I started developing some elbow pain so I am making the move to graphite. Did a fitting and unfortunately (fortunately?) found a graphite shaft that really works well for me....it is just extremely pricey. So now I am going down the road of shafting up my 7 iron in the Maltby TS1-IM with an Axiom 125X to see how we get along. The fitter, obviously, did not have maltby heads. LOVED the feel and release of the Axiom but I wonder how much of that was that it was paired with the Mizuno 243 head. Hopefully I get mostly the same feeling out of the Maltby or otherwise this is going to be REALLY expensive. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

3 hours ago, Tomok said:

Really Commander??

If you do a search on Popeyes name on Wrx, including reading through this thread, you will find it indeed is true

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, mynameisntshawn said:

I hate to rain on the DBM TS-line irons parade but:

image.png.3ee5398b1ab4cdfe9928416f62a9aef3.png

Maybe they have mad a decision since April

image.png.d92009bf48ca41ee6a84e69cbd819283.png

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Posted (edited)

...decide for now to swap in the TS1IM at the PW and GW spot late last year (winter so not much playing), and swap out the TS4s. This is mostly just to smooth out the gapping a bit; I also put in some slightly lighter shafts on the IM heads. So far so good on that front, first round of the season the gapping seemed better. To be fair it might all be down to the shafts, but I like the looks and feel of the IMs anyway but I might do some head-to-head testing down the road, and with a launch monitor. Am thinking about swapping out the 7 iron TSIM with something a little beefier in terms of MOI, and perhaps a bit lower COG in that spot. I already was using the New Level driving iron in the 6 iron spot, but am testing out an old adams idea tech head that might bump it.

Edited by Spinozist
missed words