2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

2 hours ago, woodriff said:

Hey everyone.  Is there any real difference between the KE4 TC and the KE4 TC Max ? Other than $30 I can’t really see any.  Many thanks -Bill

IMG_2745.jpeg

@Colej  @NatI think the TC is a great driver but never tried the Max.  Jeff and Nat (tagged) each tried both and liked the Max much more.  

Edited by taki27

Ok for a Maltby liker that has a set of PTM and TE from years ago I haven’t kept up with newer stuff.  Currently playing P790s 2021

what are the from most forgiving to least?  And what about size between them?

TS4, TS3, TE+ and TS1 M ? They all look great on the site and sound like they are all forgiving but can’t tell how small or big or really unforgiving some might be. 

top line thickness? Sole thickness?

they pretty much all say super game improvement performance. 

Edited by Minarets

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

23 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Ok for a Maltby liker that has a set of PTM and TE from years ago I haven’t kept up with newer stuff.  Currently playing P790s 2021

TS4, TS3, TE+ and TS1 M ? They all look great on the site and sound like they are all forgiving but can’t tell how small or big or really unforgiving some might be. 

There are pictures and many accounts in this thread.  Some good reading.    FWIW-- I have the TS-3, TS-1IM and TS-4.   I also had the PTM-(short time) and spent many years with iterations of the TE.

All of the three I have now are equal or more forgiving than the original TE.   The TS-4 will give you the best feedback while still being forgiving.  The TS-1IM are more forgiving than the TS-4... ever so slightly.    

I cannot pick a winner between the TS-3 and TS1IM  YET!     

Order a demo in all three!  LOL

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mustang said:

There are pictures and many accounts in this thread.  Some good reading.    FWIW-- I have the TS-3, TS-1IM and TS-4.   I also had the PTM-(short time) and spent many years with iterations of the TE.

All of the three I have now are equal or more forgiving than the original TE.   The TS-4 will give you the best feedback while still being forgiving.  The TS-1IM are more forgiving than the TS-4... ever so slightly.    

I cannot pick a winner between the TS-3 and TS1IM  YET!     

Order a demo in all three!  LOL

Thanks.  So you like the TS3 and TS1m more than the TS4? Even with the better feedback? How come?

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

I just got a TS3 set and it is almost identical in size to the P770 set I was playing. Only one round on the TS3's so far, but there was a noticeable improvement on thin strikes. They seem to spin a bit more and have a little less pop. I think they'd give up some ball speed to the P790s and spin more. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Minarets said:

None of them are "small" looking and they're all relatively easy to hit.  Beyond that it comes down to details. 

If you want a one piece forging with a "thin" top-line, go TS4 or TE+...or combo them.   The TS4 has a "mid" height sweet-spot (AVCOG) within the optimal zone below the center of the ball...and the TE+ has a bit lower one. 

Players who have a "thin" miss and/or those who are generally a sweeper/picker gain an extra advantage detail from a lower Actual Vertical COG (sweet-spot).  Also an advantage from tighter lies.

If you want a little thicker top-line for a "meatier" look, with a lower Actual Vertical COG, go TS3

Looking for a bit less spin and a forgiving thin face, consider the TS1-im.

All are generally easy to hit and forgiving across the face, especially toe side of center (long "C-dimensions")...which is important, because many head designs are friendly with impact inside the COG,...but far fewer are forgiving toe-side or outside the COG, because of sweet-spots that are too close to the hosel relative to the blade length (shorter "C-dimensions")

Keep in mind that an iron that is forgiving toe-side, does not mean that it will be unfriendly if impact is heel side, because impact that is outside the COG will always twist the head more vs impact that is inside of it.   A longer horizontal COG or "C-dimension" and a low enough COG position creates more face area to work with for relatively solid contact

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Minarets said:

Thanks.  So you like the TS3 and TS1m more than the TS4? Even with the better feedback? How come?

Not neccesarily..   Right now-- the TS1 IM and TS-3 are EVER SO SLIGHTLY  playing better for me.  

For perspective... I have FOUR rounds in my TS-4.   One of those rounds was a season best 73. 

The TS-3 are very good feeling and performing for me.     

I played my last two rounds with the TS-1IM.   I was a bit more consistent. 

I truly believe all three newer TS series are outstanding and you will not go wrong..

I am trying to discern which shaft I like best.

TS-3 are in AXE RT 95 R-flex

TS-1IM are in Aldila NV -- 75 gram 5-6 irons,  85 gram 7-8-9, 95 gram PW/GW  

TS-4 are in Rapport Core Blue-stiff- soft stepped x 2.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mustang said:

Not neccesarily..   Right now-- the TS1 IM and TS-3 are EVER SO SLIGHTLY  playing better for me.  

For perspective... I have FOUR rounds in my TS-4.   One of those rounds was a season best 73. 

The TS-3 are very good feeling and performing for me.     

I played my last two rounds with the TS-1IM.   I was a bit more consistent. 

I truly believe all three newer TS series are outstanding and you will not go wrong..

I am trying to discern which shaft I like best.

TS-3 are in AXE RT 95 R-flex

TS-1IM are in Aldila NV -- 75 gram 5-6 irons,  85 gram 7-8-9, 95 gram PW/GW  

TS-4 are in Rapport Core Blue-stiff- soft stepped x 2.   

I’m currently playing MMT 105 S shafts.  If I was to move to Maltby, I would need some graphite shafts on the heavier side.  I won’t go lighter than 105 but would prefer 115-125 ish. 

4 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I’m currently playing MMT 105 S shafts.  If I was to move to Maltby, I would need some graphite shafts on the heavier side.  I won’t go lighter than 105 but would prefer 115-125 ish. 

I understand-- but will provide this perspective.   I am more and more convinced that lighter shafts that have some counter balance are surprisingly good.   I have been convinced.   Best of luck to you.

The AXE RT 105 shaft would be something I would recommend.  Check for a thread on them started by Popeye...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 9:04 PM, TKS said:

image.png.2a36b80975bd701c185f17ee3661249d.png

Can I get some clarification on what this means. I’m also looking at the FST Pro 125 as a budget shaft in place of the Project X 6.0. I don’t expect them to be exactly the same but just wondering if it’s a viable option, the Maltby MPF ratings are also listed as the same between the two (5C1H). 

This a shaft profile that compares the cpm (flex) at 7 points along the shaft. Left to right from butt to tip. This example uses the FST shaft as the basline with the original rifle and the project X 6.0 in comparison. This doesn't include a weight or torque comparison. 

The rifle and FST are as about as close as you can get, the Project X is substantially stiff by comparison.

• Like 1

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

1 hour ago, TKS said:

This a shaft profile that compares the cpm (flex) at 7 points along the shaft. Left to right from butt to tip. This example uses the FST shaft as the basline with the original rifle and the project X 6.0 in comparison. This doesn't include a weight or torque comparison. 

The rifle and FST are as about as close as you can get, the Project X is substantially stiff by comparison.

Just to clarify, in this case it shows the FST as X flex.  It’s a combo flex shaft. So was it tipped before testing?

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Apollo Spectre Lite is closer to the PX 6.0 I believe. It’s very close to the DG105 but feels , to me at least, a bit stiffer in the butt. 

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

46 minutes ago, deepred said:

Apollo Spectre Lite is closer to the PX 6.0 I believe. It’s very close to the DG105 but feels , to me at least, a bit stiffer in the butt. 

It's the mid through tip sections where most shafts labeled as "tip stiff" or "low" are not as stiff as the PX, even with max tipping.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oNLy1 said:

Seems the PX 6.0 is quite a bit stiffer overall, is there a  particular reason people still choose to play the FST Pro 125 as a budget replacement?  I’ve seen it come up in numerous places. 

To save money....and if it works well and they like it, it means they needed a softer bend profile, maybe without realizing it

• Like 1

I’ve written this before, but anyone looking to save some cash who wants something lower launch should try the new MultiStep Lite. They should have given it a different name because it doesn’t have anything in common with the old version. I have found it to be low to mid launch, at least in #5 iron DBM and KE4 Tour+ heads. Yet it still feels like a softer tip than the DG. 

Edited by deepred

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 6/30/2024 at 9:34 AM, Minarets said:

Not sure of this helps with size, but currently been trying out the TS3 and TS4 comparing it against my Callaway Apex MB.

TS3 is by far more forgiving (feels hard to hit a bad shot) and feels the best out of the TS3 or TS4 (neither come close to the Apex MB though).  I really wanted and have been trying to gel with the TS4 but just cant quite get there with it, looks absolutely stunning though.     

IMG20240626185534.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2024 at 10:45 AM, woodriff said:

Hey everyone.  Is there any real difference between the KE4 TC and the KE4 TC Max ? Other than $30 I can’t really see any.  Many thanks -Bill

IMG_2745.jpeg

The Max is worth the money. Better sound, little longer in my case. Equal in forgiveness. I like the looks better. Had an identical shaft and set up.

5 hours ago, oNLy1 said:

Seems the PX 6.0 is quite a bit stiffer overall, is there a  particular reason people still choose to play the FST Pro 125 as a budget replacement?  I’ve seen it come up in numerous places. 

Because there is nothing else closer in a budget shaft. Can get the pak price which is much cheaper than custom charge PXs. I could order PXs later if needed and basically have a free set of shafts.

Im not playing competitive golf anymore so even if I give up ‘something’ with the FSTs…not that big of a deal. 

5 hours ago, oNLy1 said:

In my builds the FST 125 is an excellent wedge shaft, I've hard hard-stepped the S/X flex 2x to get a set playing closer to the DGS300/PX 6.0.

Its a very good shaft in the hands of a good builder with long parallel tip section and 43" raw length.

Edited by TKS
Detail
  • Like 2

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

2 hours ago, TKS said:

In my builds the FST 125 is an excellent wedge shaft, I've hard hard-stepped the S/X flex 2x to get a set playing closer to the DGS300/PX 6.0.

Its a very good shaft in the hands of a good builder with long parallel tip section and 43" raw length.

This could be an interesting way to go about it. How do you guys feel about the descending weights in the shaft? Is it something that’s noticeable to you guys or should I not worry about it too much. For reference I’ve only ever played an old box set to date so I don’t think I’ve played a constant weight shaft. I was just wondering if there is a noticeable difference in flex that comes along with the decrease in weight. 

Well, I have a few rounds in with the KE4 Pro IST 3W......The KE4 TC 4W is definitely easier to hit.  They both lie .5* open and have the same shaft (MPF Pro R flex) but I tend to fade off the tee and slice off the deck with the 3W and the 4W generally is straight for me.  I get maybe 10 more yards from it.  The head definitely feels heavier and it may just come down to getting used to it and adjusting to it's differences.  I think a minimum of 5-10 rounds.  I have about 19 rounds in with my irons and it took about 5-10 rounds to really get comfortable with them and now I hit them great and I know what to expect out of them.  

On Friday 6/28 I played a 5900 yard course and only used driver on par 5's.  I had a really good day and the used the 3W exclusively on all the par 4's.  Some were 360 yrds, one was 421 yds, one 310 yds and the rest fell in the 360-380 range.  I shot an 82 which is Very good for me.  Official HCP is 15.7 but I'm playing to a 12.5 this year ( I put alot of work into short game and swing mechanics over the past year).  The 3w ranged from 205 yds to about 225 depending on the wind.  I got 190-215 with the 4W on average with the occasional 225 yds with a good tailwind. 

Edited by wantacigar
  • Like 2

Anyone try the new IST hybrids yet?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

Anyone try the new IST hybrids yet?

Yes-  I have the 23 Degree with R-flex MPF that came in the pack.    About six rounds in it.   Good from rough- A bit higher ball flight than the Maltby Tour --  SOLID from fairway.    I get about 190 ish out of it.  I bought it to replace my #5 iron at times.    It has nearly identical feel as the KE-4 Tour.   

• Like 2