2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

This Season Has Been A Failure

Tailgater

Bank of Hope Founders Cup, Kia Classic, ANA Inspiration, Lotte Championship, Hugel-JTBC LA Open and LPGA Mediheal Championship are sponsored by South Korean or Japanese companies, that's 6 US tournament that can't find an American sponsor lol. The LPGA realizes what some are to obtuse to see, American public doesn't care about women's golf and any money comes from outside the US. The LPGA can adapt or die, so if the LPGA does as some want and only has US tournament, the LET will be the dominant tour 10 years after the decision is made ............. I'm with you guys let's do it, cause then I won't have to watch the best women golfer in the world through the prism of the Golf Channel. Also the American fans can enjoy the 25 golfer who are good enough to be in the world's Top 100 players scraping it out for national pride

Sponsorship is not the same as the LPGA of Japan having tournaments on US courses but I agree with the rest of your point, just not the cause. I contend that a big part of the reason the US public doesn't care about womens golf is because American golfers aren't marketed properly and quite honestly they aren't as good as those from outside the US. US sports fans are still very nationalistic, we want to see our athletes perform and be the best. How popular would womens tennis be in the US if Serena retired?

It appears the LPGA did adapt, they went for the international money, attracted golfers from other countries and that has created the situation we have today, an American Tour dominated by non-Americans with nearly half their tournaments played outside the US. Some credit Whan for being a genius and doing this, I am not a fan.

This isn't a US versus the world debate, I'm a marketing person, I responded to how I'd improve the ratings and attendance of the LPGA in the US, which I don't see improving given the current trends in the sport..

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do you grow the game in the U.S. if corporations won't step up and sponsor tournaments, players, and feeder series? Only a single American company, Group 1001, has stepped up to sponsor a new tournament in the past few years. Is Whan not knocking on doors in the U.S., or are the knocks going unanswered?

The American women have plenty of talent. They've won six tournaments this season. (The Korean women have won eight. Seven other countries have won twelve events.) What they're lacking is consistency. In the "Top 10" category, there are no American women in the top 5. There are three in the top 10. Wins are great, but being in contention every week goes a long way in attracting casual viewers.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

So how do you grow the game in the U.S. if corporations won't step up and sponsor tournaments, players, and feeder series? Only a single American company, Group 1001, has stepped up to sponsor a new tournament in the past few years. Is Whan not knocking on doors in the U.S., or are the knocks going unanswered?

The American women have plenty of talent. They've won six tournaments this season. (The Korean women have won eight. Seven other countries have won twelve events.) What they're lacking is consistency. In the "Top 10" category, there are no American women in the top 5. There are three in the top 10. Wins are great, but being in contention every week goes a long way in attracting casual viewers.

It's now become a chicken and egg situation. The trend is the LPGA is more of an international organization, American golfers are not in the Top 9 and there aren't ratings or attendance numbers to justify the expense for an American corporation to make the investment. Overall corporations are looking at their marketing budgets and becoming more frugal which is why even the PGA Tour is struggling to find sponsors for some tournaments where sponsors dropped out.

In order to change this, the LPGA has to better market the American players, Angela Stanford (until her Evian win) was an unknown, Austin Ernst ranked 13th is an unknown. The Korda sisters get a bit of hype because they are sisters playing on the LPGA and attractive but still they are relatively unknown. Michelle Wie (ranked 29th) is probably the most popular female American golfer, followed by Lexi ranked 21. Many people mistakenly think Lydia Ko is American but she's not even in the Top 10. Even the top international players aren't marketed well, these are the best women golfers in the world and most casual golf fans couldn't attach a name to their face (except for Brooke Henderson).

It's going to take some time to turn this around, as the LPGA needs to help develop better female golfers at the college level and encourage better female athletes to get involved with golf if they are going to have any chance in competing against other countries. Until there are some dominant American golfers that attract viewers and attendees to tournaments it's going to be tough to get US corporate sponsorship

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

You had me until you mentioned "college". The college path is a dead end. It's a waste of time for the most talented players. The top players in the world did not take the traditional four year college route.

The U.S. needs something similar to the KLPGA Dream and Jump Tours.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

You had me until you mentioned "college". The college path is a dead end. It's a waste of time for the most talented players. The top players in the world did not take the traditional four year college route.

The U.S. needs something similar to the KLPGA Dream and Jump Tours.

I agree, but unfortunately here in the US, the most popular path to professional sports is college. Baseball has developed some players out of high school as has the NBA and NHL but those are kids who are all-in into making it at the professional level and don't want a college degree as a backup plan. I don't follow tennis closely so I'm not sure if college plays as big a role in developing professional tennis players.

The Dream and Jump Tours would be great here in the US and would allow the true standouts to be promoted before they ever hit the LPGA. The Tiger hype train started when he was a kid, fortunately he was able to live up to the hype as a professional.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

KPMG?? I realize it’s a global firm.

Sigh, I'll repeat myself just to hear myself talk. There are plenty of "boring" players from the U.S. And Europe.

Thankfully the players don't need to take a personality test to play on tour.

I know you like to repeat this, but will you at least agree that very few casual fans sign up to watch ANY boring personality/player?

Sigh, I'll repeat myself just to hear myself talk. There are plenty of "boring" players from the U.S. And Europe.

I know you like to repeat this, but will you at least agree that very few casual fans sign up to watch ANY boring personality/player?

Part of what makes them boring is they aren't marketed. These ladies are great golfers, but they do not encourage any emotional investment into them from casual golf fans.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

There are other things a fan might appreciate in a "boring" player, e.g. fantastic swing, but you're basically right, casual fans want excitement. Is it talking to one's ball? Throwing clubs? Interacting with fans on the course? Being a chatty player with their caddie and/or playing partners? Does the personality have to be a happy one, or does a sour one work, too? I'm simply pointing out that lacking a personality is a trait than can be shared by players of all nationalities.

The tour attracts the best players on the planet. Personality is a bonus, but not a requirement. Luckily there are plenty of different types of players from each of the major countries.

KPMG?? I realize it's a global firm.

Yeah, forgot about that one. They came on board in 2015, and I was focusing on the '16, '17, and '18 seasons. 'Definitely one of the best pickups in recent years.

Bank of Hope Founders Cup, Kia Classic, ANA Inspiration, Lotte Championship, Hugel-JTBC LA Open and LPGA Mediheal Championship are sponsored by South Korean or Japanese companies, that's 6 US tournament that can't find an American sponsor lol. The LPGA realizes what some are to obtuse to see, American public doesn't care about women's golf and any money comes from outside the US. The LPGA can adapt or die, so if the LPGA does as some want and only has US tournament, the LET will be the dominant tour 10 years after the decision is made ............. I'm with you guys let's do it, cause then I won't have to watch the best women golfer in the world through the prism of the Golf Channel. Also the American fans can enjoy the 25 golfer who are good enough to be in the world's Top 100 players scraping it out for national pride

Sponsorship is not the same as the LPGA of Japan having tournaments on US courses but I agree with the rest of your point, just not the cause. I contend that a big part of the reason the US public doesn't care about womens golf is because American golfers aren't marketed properly and quite honestly they aren't as good as those from outside the US. US sports fans are still very nationalistic, we want to see our athletes perform and be the best. How popular would womens tennis be in the US if Serena retired?

It appears the LPGA did adapt, they went for the international money, attracted golfers from other countries and that has created the situation we have today, an American Tour dominated by non-Americans with nearly half their tournaments played outside the US. Some credit Whan for being a genius and doing this, I am not a fan.

This isn't a US versus the world debate, I'm a marketing person, I responded to how I'd improve the ratings and attendance of the LPGA in the US, which I don't see improving given the current trends in the sport..

The biggest difference between golf and Tennis and more to the point the WTA and LPGA is in Tennis the women's game gets to piggy back on the men's tour at the Slams and the Master's 1000 events. A stand alone women event anywhere in the world even in the US is a ghost town and the biggest danger to the girls at these event is getting hit by tumble weed. I agree with marketing but only to certain extent, we are all nationalistic down at our cores but I think we can also enjoy talent no matter where it's from. There are some language barriers with certain star player but they in most case are working really hard to improve them, like Sung Hyun Park for example. So yeon Ryu is another example, her command of the English language is probably better than most of the people watching, I think marketing all the top players is the way to go. Look at Rory McIroy, before his fall off I would say he was one of the most popular players in the US market. He than changed equipment and had a big fall and other players mostly American passed him by. So yes a great American female star would be great for the LPGA in the US but I don't think it's a must to make the tour sustainable, beside Lexi and Michelle the biggest American Star is a New Zealand star Lydia Ko and Canadian star Brooke Henderson IMO. So yes when the opportunity presents itself American will cheer for the American girl going for the win but people also appreciate talent and will enjoy talent winning if the tour market those players. Use South Korea as an example outside a few outliers, the Korean players who win on tour are generally the same cast of characters. So I say the problem is somewhat the reliance of marketing American stars when there aren't really many out there right now rather than marketing all the top players so that the American viewer can recognize the players winning week in and week out rather than it being some strange name at the top of the leaderboard they don't recognize.

The biggest difference between golf and Tennis and more to the point the WTA and LPGA is in Tennis the women's game gets to piggy back on the men's tour at the Slams and the Master's 1000 events. A stand alone women event anywhere in the world even in the US is a ghost town and the biggest danger to the girls at these event is getting hit by tumble weed. I agree with marketing but only to certain extent, we are all nationalistic down at our cores but I think we can also enjoy talent no matter where it's from. There are some language barriers with certain star player but they in most case are working really hard to improve them, like Sung Hyun Park for example. So yeon Ryu is another example, her command of the English language is probably better than most of the people watching, I think marketing all the top players is the way to go. Look at Rory McIroy, before his fall off I would say he was one of the most popular players in the US market. He than changed equipment and had a big fall and other players mostly American passed him by. So yes a great American female star would be great for the LPGA in the US but I don't think it's a must to make the tour sustainable, beside Lexi and Michelle the biggest American Star is a New Zealand star Lydia Ko and Canadian star Brooke Henderson IMO. So yes when the opportunity presents itself American will cheer for the American girl going for the win but people also appreciate talent and will enjoy talent winning if the tour market those players. Use South Korea as an example outside a few outliers, the Korean players who win on tour are generally the same cast of characters. So I say the problem is somewhat the reliance of marketing American stars when there aren't really many out there right now rather than marketing all the top players so that the American viewer can recognize the players winning week in and week out rather than it being some strange name at the top of the leaderboard they don't recognize.

I agree with most of what you wrote. The LPGA has done a terrible job marketing the American golfers but even a worse job marketing the top players in the LPGA to America. Most casual golf fans think Lydia Ko is American because she was marketed so well here in the US. She was a teenage phenom who grew up in front of our eyes and we embraced her and wanted to see her do well. I wish the LPGA would focus on the Korda sisters more, it's a similar story to Serena and Venus in ladies tennis, two sisters competing week after week to win, plus they are athletic and attractive.

I also agree with what you wrote about womens tennis game piggy backing on the mens, I would like to see more of that in golf. Let the women play the same course for the US Open and some other tournaments. I'd like to see a tournament where the PGA and LPGA team up, this is where Whan should be spending his efforts. It doesn't take a marketing genius to know that stealing even a small piece of the spotlight from the PGA Tour would be the best marketing money they could spend.

They need to find ways to make the LPGA more interesting to men, beyond tramping it up. My tennis friends tell me they like to watch womens tennis because (besides a select few players) it's more entertaining to watch the serve and volley game they play versus the power serving game of the men. Most would agree the LPGA golf is closer to the game most amateurs play, so they need to get that message out there without making the product seem inferior.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The PGA has nothing to gain by teaming up with the LPGA. I just don't see it happening.

Jessica has had a very good season, but she's fallen off since the early part of the year. She's only had two top 10's in her last ten starts, along with two missed cuts.

Nelly is a real head scratcher. She's got talent, but not much to show for it. She's currently 42nd on the money list, and 17th among Americans. Her best finish in the past 5 starts is 28T.

The young Americans just aren't getting it done. I was hoping that Danielle's major win in 2017 would light a fire in her. That fizzled. Austin is having a good season, but she barely moves the needle. The rookies are nowhere to be seen.

The PGA has nothing to gain by teaming up with the LPGA. I just don't see it happening.

Jessica has had a very good season, but she's fallen off since the early part of the year. She's only had two top 10's in her last ten starts, along with two missed cuts.

Nelly is a real head scratcher. She's got talent, but not much to show for it. She's currently 42nd on the money list, and 17th among Americans. Her best finish in the past 5 starts is 28T.

The young Americans just aren't getting it done. I was hoping that Danielle's major win in 2017 would light a fire in her. That fizzled. Austin is having a good season, but she barely moves the needle. The rookies are nowhere to be seen.

Maybe Kupcho when she comes out. Maybe...

You're right the PGA doesn't gain much from partnering with the LPGA short term but attracting new fans, especially female fans does benefit the game long term. The sport in general has to attract more female and younger males for it to continue to be successful and partnering with the LPGA could help.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

As far as American rookies go, Talley has had a decent year and I think Dambaugh and Weaver still have a chance to be good.

Emma is the highest ranked American in the Rookie of the Year race, but that isn't saying much. Jin Young has a win, and ton of top 10's. Georgia has a major win, and a two other top 10's. Emma has four top 10's, but has missed the cut in four of her past ten starts.

I genuinely hope Danielle can turn her game around.She has a fun-time attitude and should be a crowd pleaser if she starts to play better. Austin shows some flashes here and there, but she would never be a "reason" to attend an event or to sit for hours watching from the LazyBoy. She doesn`t have the all around "wow" factor.

I`m willing to bet in the last 15 years theres been 3 American women that play golf, that drew attention to the sport, I`ll even go as far and say people who maybe didn`t even watch golf or cared to much about it knew of these ladies Paula Creamer, Natalie Gulbis, and Michelle Wie. Wonder why?

As far as American rookies go, Talley has had a decent year and I think Dambaugh and Weaver still have a chance to be good.

Emma is the highest ranked American in the Rookie of the Year race, but that isn't saying much. Jin Young has a win, and ton of top 10's. Georgia has a major win, and a two other top 10's. Emma has four top 10's, but has missed the cut in four of her past ten starts.

She’s also 48th on the money list. That’s a pretty successful rookie year.

I think there's a lot to be said for some combined PGA/LPGA events. Not many, just a few - perhaps some team events like an international crown.

I would hate to see it go the full tennis model though. Truthfully, I wouldn't know who won the women's tennis majors most of the time (although strangely I was up on the recent US Open. 'Onya Serena!).

Those who say that the PGA doesn't need this might have a point. But the world isn't static, and the PGA need to consider how to add some pizzaz into their product in the future (Think post-Tiger). If a combined international event was well marketed, and supported by PGA players, it could be one of the biggest bangs on the calendar (although perhaps I only say that as an LPGA supporter).

The biggest difficulty would be getting the PGA players on board. Frankly, i think they are largely a bunch of weirdos (!), although that's why we love them. They are the best, at the greatest game of all, and so they seem to have a "stuff you" attitude to everyone and everything. They couldn't be coerced into supporting a new event, but they might be persuaded. I am thinking the Olympics as an example. They didn't want it so didn't go, but hopefully some regret that now.

I am not sure what people want in "personalities" in the women. I think they are a fascinating bunch - and anyway, they are not a circus attraction, they are the best female golfers playing golf.

Perhaps this season has sputtered a little because none of the big guns have been able to set it alight consistently - not even Ariya and SHP.

On a final note, I don't really understand why people are so obsessed with players from their own country doing well ("LPGA needs Americans firing"). I tend to support Aussies ahead of others, but don't care that much. I am looking for excitement and don't care where it comes from.

I think there's a lot to be said for some combined PGA/LPGA events. Not many, just a few - perhaps some team events like an international crown.

I would hate to see it go the full tennis model though. Truthfully, I wouldn't know who won the women's tennis majors most of the time (although strangely I was up on the recent US Open. 'Onya Serena!).

Those who say that the PGA doesn't need this might have a point. But the world isn't static, and the PGA need to consider how to add some pizzaz into their product in the future (Think post-Tiger). If a combined international event was well marketed, and supported by PGA players, it could be one of the biggest bangs on the calendar (although perhaps I only say that as an LPGA supporter).

The biggest difficulty would be getting the PGA players on board. Frankly, i think they are largely a bunch of weirdos (!), although that's why we love them. They are the best, at the greatest game of all, and so they seem to have a "stuff you" attitude to everyone and everything. They couldn't be coerced into supporting a new event, but they might be persuaded. I am thinking the Olympics as an example. They didn't want it so didn't go, but hopefully some regret that now.

I am not sure what people want in "personalities" in the women. I think they are a fascinating bunch - and anyway, they are not a circus attraction, they are the best female golfers playing golf.

Perhaps this season has sputtered a little because none of the big guns have been able to set it alight consistently - not even Ariya and SHP.

On a final note, I don't really understand why people are so obsessed with players from their own country doing well ("LPGA needs Americans firing"). I tend to support Aussies ahead of others, but don't care that much. I am looking for excitement and don't care where it comes from.

I think many opted out of the Olympics because of the location and fear of Zika. I'll withhold judgement until the next Olympics but I think we'll see a lot more participation.

As for personalities, it's about marketing, making people interested in watching and cheering them on. The best female golfers are not the best golfers, therefore they need to work harder to gain fans, just as the WNBA, and WTA does.

I think we're conditioned as a result of the Ryder Cup to cheer for Americans. Between the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup it's basically been the world against the US so we carry that over during the regular season. We will enjoy watching Sergio win his first major but we root for Tiger, Phil or other Americans typically. In the LPGA, there aren't many Americans to cheer for that have a legitimate chance of winning right now and that hurts viewership here.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

With regards to nationalism and overall interest, just look at soccer. In America, MLS is followed based on "your" team. It's driven by location, love of the game. Now look at ratings for EPL or even better Champions League. People want to see the best. Women's games in all sports, excluding Gymnastics, take a back seat to men's. Consumers will give their time and money to what they see as the best.

I enjoy the LPGA, but no matter the marketing, personalities, or looks, it will never be the best.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

Speaking of personalities, and it should probably be my last as I’m even irritating myself. I’m not talking about the weirdos hanging out on a golf forum, an LPGA sub forum specifically. I’m talking about bringing fringe folks into viewership. It takes something to do that, and it’s not watching a robot shoot 63 - man or woman. Similarly, would I rather watch Curry or Hardin play 1:1 or someone with pretty much equal skill that I’ve never heard of and says two words. I’m not a huge basketball guy, I’m just looking for a few minutes/hours of entertainment.

Speaking of personalities, and it should probably be my last as I'm even irritating myself. I'm not talking about the weirdos hanging out on a golf forum, an LPGA sub forum specifically. I'm talking about bringing fringe folks into viewership. It takes something to do that, and it's not watching a robot shoot 63 - man or woman. Similarly, would I rather watch Curry or Hardin play 1:1 or someone with pretty much equal skill that I've never heard of and says two words. I'm not a huge basketball guy, I'm just looking for a few minutes/hours of entertainment.

I agree with what you are saying, it really comes down to entertainment. The LPGA needs to figure out what people want and build their product around that. Having personable people would also help, but entertainment is first and foremost.

Think about the PGA and NFL. They basically changed their game styles, going from shot shaping to bombing and to a more passing game, to draw in viewers. It isnt strictly having Tiger and Brady winning and cracking jokes on camera.

I imagine that's why the vast majority of courses are set up fairly easily, to promote birdies. Most casual viewers/fans aren't going to be entertained by even par rounds where players are putting from 40 ft away after a long approach shot.

Did Patrick Reed win the Poulan Weedeaster Masters this past spring?

Majors with corporate names shout out "Small Time Tacky League."

I followed Jane Blalock and Pat Bradley and Nancy Lopez and JoAnne Gunderson Carner, and Sally Little,

and Donna Capone, and Judy Rankin, and Kathy Whitworth, and Beth Daniel.

And then I lost interest.

Titleist PT___13, 17, 20, 23º fwy wds (stock Titleist MG-307 graphite)
Mizuno Fli Hi___18º driving iron (Aldila NV Pro 105)
Titleist DCI 962___#s 5-9 (Aldila NV Pro 105)
Cleveland 588___49, 53º wedges (Aldila NV Pro 105).
Cleveland 691___58º wedge (Aldila NV Pro 105)
something from my bag of putters--they all suck.

You mean like the KPMG Women's PGA Championship, the ANA Inspiration, or the Ricoh Women's British Open?

Yeah, they pony up over $3 million and have the audacity to want to slap their name on the tournament. The nerve.

You mean like the KPMG Women's PGA Championship, the ANA Inspiration, or the Ricoh Women's British Open?

Yeah, they pony up over $3 million and have the audacity to want to slap their name on the tournament. The nerve.

If I think it's tacky for "majors," I get to call it tacky.

And I think that it's super tacky.

Nobody is opining that you have to be turned off by it.

At least I'm not.

Titleist PT___13, 17, 20, 23º fwy wds (stock Titleist MG-307 graphite)
Mizuno Fli Hi___18º driving iron (Aldila NV Pro 105)
Titleist DCI 962___#s 5-9 (Aldila NV Pro 105)
Cleveland 588___49, 53º wedges (Aldila NV Pro 105).
Cleveland 691___58º wedge (Aldila NV Pro 105)
something from my bag of putters--they all suck.

If I think it's tacky for "majors," I get to call it tacky.

And I think that it's super tacky.

Nobody is opining that you have to be turned off by it.

At least I'm not.

I would say the bigger problem is how they rotate/add/subtract tournaments as majors.

The LPGA added one major in the last 17 years, the Evian Championship in 2013. How is that a big problem?