MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Sometimes just pointing it down the middle and hitting the putt you see is the best strategy.

Sometimes not.

This has been my experience too and I couldn't articulate why. I've played some great rounds on some tough courses in the last couple years - sight unseen.

Could be attributed to the fact that you all you can focus on is the shot in front of you, and possibly not knowing subconciously of the troubles around the course. It can sometimes free up both your swing and mental approach. I agree knowing where you can't miss sometimes interferes with a round as thoughts do creep in your mind. However, I do think around the greens that local knowledge is key. Knowing where to miss approaches, and how to approach certain pins, can save a lot of strokes.

There was a great video on IG of Seve and Jack playing a match. Jack blasts it up the right taking it up the edge of the hole - nails it perfect. Seve laughs as he tees it up and paraphrasing, tells Jack that his shot was a bold line to take it over OB and cut it further OB. Jack replies, "There's OB to the right?"

Not saying he may not have done the same even if he had known, but not knowing probably didn't hurt his chances.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

Jeez Eagle is gonna win himself a set of steak knives ala Glengarry Glen Ross. Is he enticing y'all with his manly wiles?

Actually, I might think about joining if it wasn't so far away. Not going to join a course that's not in my neighborhood.

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5bfeaa825148784155a7b782

It’s a decent drive for me too but the deal is still worth it.

Internet friend advance notice:

Putting some items up on the shelf to sell:

• T7 White Satins- 50, 54, 58
  • Tour360s in white/blue, size 9M (9 holes worn, toebox too big)
  • Proforce V2 7F5 with a TM adapter
  • possibly a 2017 M1 head in 9/10 condition, 10.5°

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

It’s a decent drive for me too but the deal is still worth it.

I gave it some thought, if my wife and I move closer to Annapolis it looked like a solid option at first. But the drive was still like 30-35 minutes from there. Showing up for 'prospective rounds' would just be disingenuous on my part. I like my group at Sparrows but once the inner 9 gets torn down after this season, weeknight golf at that club is officially dead for me.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Jeez Eagle is gonna win himself a set of steak knives ala Glengarry Glen Ross. Is he enticing y'all with his manly wiles?

Actually, I might think about joining if it wasn't so far away. Not going to join a course that's not in my neighborhood.

The closest course to your house appears to be Burning Tree. Don't forget to pull us in once you join.

It's a decent drive for me as well (30-35 minutes on the weekend). I'll be a weekend golfer and every other Friday. Holidays as well and any half-days at the office.

I would have never thought of joining a club that far, but the current deal was worth it for what you get, not to mention some of the other perks that come from joining. Plus I'm excited about the future investments they are making. I know one can't predict the future, but hopefully this club keeps trending as is.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

30-35 minutes on the weekend is what my club is for me. That's really nothing. When I played Pine Ridge a lot that was 25-ish, anyway. You need to drive SOMEWHERE, right?

Thing about my place is that it's sort of between work and home. That's a biggie.

I went out yesterday for some wedge work and putting. It was FREEZING. The only people I saw coming in off the course were Koreans. I love them. Days like that it's only them and me. I like to pretend they have a nickname for me. . .something that translates loosely to Iceman Roundeye.

Today seems worse. . .windier and colder. It's going to take a real effort to get out there after work.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The closest course to your house appears to be Burning Tree. Don't forget to pull us in once you join.

Looks like it's Columbia CC for you. We can reciprocate. You do have a custom leather bag that costs over a grand and hickory chopsticks, right?

Columbia? Ya right. They're about to build a train right through the middle of Columbia. And it's going to be PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. I can't have those sorts of public ruffians that close to my MacKenzie bag.

I've wanted to join somewhere private for a long time, but I've just never been able to get myself over the hump of spending the money. I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future, so I guess I'll have to buy a $1,000 bag, some oversized chopsticks, and split rounds between Columbia and Burning Tree as Sully and THDC's guest.

Somewhat related question: if you guys didn't have to factor your work location in to the equation, where would you live in the area? So home value/cost, neighborhood, amenities, golf, and schools if you have kids. Would you pick a place near a certain course, or group of courses? I've been thinking about it recently since I bought for work-related location (walking distance to Metro) but have spent all my time since working at home. And now my wife is working at home mostly. We love the spot, but it's really only the possibility of needing the location convenience some time in the future that keeps us here. Plus our public schools are really great, but there are great schools elsewhere that are cheaper and nearer to golf.

Looks like it's Columbia CC for you. We can reciprocate. You do have a custom leather bag that costs over a grand and hickory chopsticks, right?

Columbia? Ya right. They're about to build a train right through the middle of Columbia. And it's going to be PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. I can't have those sorts of public ruffians that close to my MacKenzie bag.

Is this true? Columbia is the only course that makes sense for me given my commute, but if I'm going to have to deal with a train I won't even bother. Looks like Columbia CC just lost a potential member.

Kenwood would make sense too I guess, but it doesn't have enough prestige for my tastes

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

My wife and I were talking about this last weekend and we actually decided we love where we live in Alexandria. Our townhouse is off a quiet street next to a big county park - but we're still within a mile or two of every store that we could need. We're less than two miles off the beltway or 95S so its easy whenever we're going somewhere out of the area. And I could never really take a job in MD but my wife works in the city and its a really easy commute for her or she can take the Metro - could walk but its @ a mile walk.

My only complaint would be I could never really take a job thats in MD. That and any "Baltimore area" golf is an hour plus for me to get to - TV was over two hours to get home from - so thats a definite downside.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I wasn't going to revisit #bagTalkTuesday, but since so many people seem unable to drop it. . .

I was sort of thinking about this stuff last night. One thing that I've always tried to do (in my tournaments, my play, my opinions, and with The Hive) is break free from the idea that golf is just "ride around in a cart for 18 holes with 14 clubs in 72 degrees in pristine conditions and call it a day."

So, like when I read Butters post about a bunch of guys out walking (presumably) with their Macks and getting something entirely different out of golf, I'm kind of thinking, "well at least it's something". And, they're walking.

Sort of like those guys who all showed up at PB Dye that day with Camerons and laid them around the 18th hole.

And I will say this : those bags are sweet. Nice leather, stitching. They're personalized. Classic design. Basically what a guy would come up with if he just needed a bag to carry his sticks and a few balls and he was an old Scotsman and you made things out of leather because that's what you made things out of.

The only thing that bothered me (which seemed to be lost on someone) was saying that you're getting one of these $1000 bags because they're lightweight and durable. There's an old expression about urination, the auditory canal, and precipitation, if you catch my drift.

Beyond that, they don't bother me any more than any other status symbol (which is to say it sort of tickles my gag reflex, but I'm trying to get over that). I mean, my wife is a jeweler. If people didn't want to buy $50 of materials handcrafted into $500 products with little (or no) utility, she'd have to find a different job.

Still, even if some of these dudes are a little too precious for the Iceman, I don't mind seeing a little more of the old school approach.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Damascus is fine as long as you have kids who play high school soccer in the fall.

Location without regards to work as a single man is totally dependent on whether you're trying to bump fuzzies regularly.

If yes, DC.

If not, near whatever golf course you'd like to regularly play, country club or otherwise.

As a married man with no kids - We live in the perfect neighborhood on 14th street.

Anyone else think City completely made up the story about yesterday to trick us into starting to call him the Iceman?

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Anyone else think City completely made up the story about yesterday into tricking us to try and start calling him the Iceman?

no, because i've heard variations of it before, minus the made up funbag nickname that he thinks they have for him.

giphy.gif

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Anyone else think City completely made up the story about yesterday into tricking us to try and start calling him the Iceman?

giphy.gif

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green