2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @Kent01putt said:

> On a different note SPCC's A team got killed because the top 5 player did not play. I don't understand how these people can't set aside the time to rep your own club. But that is just me, so they are one an done.

I dont know how MD does it but VA packs these matches into the last two weekends in March and some years its been one weekend. If you have travel planned, if your kids are on spring break - whatever - you have no chance of playing. It sucks the way that VA does it but it is what it is, they want to play the matches before the season starts for everyone as opposed to after. I dont blame our guys who cant play even though there have been some years I dont think we've even fielded a team.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @aiyyer said:

> BTW the women were great and Jennifer Kupcho is a stud - 5 under over the last six holes with Fassi really putting the pressure on. Draining the putt on the 18th was also impressive.

I enjoyed the golf a lot more than I thought I would, my wife and I both were riveted to the back nine. I kind of wish they had showed the whole round though as opposed to starting coverage at noon. I know they had cameras on the front because they were showing shots here and there after the fact.

> @Kent01putt said:

> BC has a lot of guys that belong there but do not live in the area. If that is stacking so be it. The eastern shore teams have done the same. These guys may have businesses in Hagerstown but travel to get there and play at BC. There A team is always very good. There B team is good as well. Call it what you want but if you are a member there you can play.

> On a different note SPCC's A team got killed because the top 5 player did not play. I don't understand how these people can't set aside the time to rep your own club. But that is just me, so they are one an done.

>

We take it seriously at the club. I was getting text messages back in January like, "how's your game?"

I hear BCC has play-ins (which we don't) and gets together for A-team putting practice.

The Woodmore gang seemed put together a little slapdash, but I think after hearing their stories this year, they'll get more serious about it next year. Someone has to take the reins, though.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @Kent01putt said:

I could see where people might just not care that much, or be willing to make the commitment. Mainly us millennial types.

I think the private golf market (at least on the low to mid tier end) is due for a real shakeup over the next 10-15'ish years. Baby boomers are going to start leaving major holes in club rosters, as they give up memberships and/or pass away. I don't get the impression that on the whole, my generation is all that interested in the "club life" model. We don't want to pay hefty initiations to be locked into a place, or have our social lives tied to a club. I think there will be clubs having to adapt just to continue to exist.

So Fabb -- > @FAbb said:

> > @Kent01putt said:

> > On a different note SPCC's A team got killed because the top 5 player did not play. I don't understand how these people can't set aside the time to rep your own club. But that is just me, so they are one an done.

>

> I could see where people might just not care that much, or be willing to make the commitment. Mainly us millennial types.

>

> I think the private golf market (at least on the low to mid tier end) is due for a real shakeup over the next 10-15'ish years. Baby boomers are going to start leaving major holes in club rosters, as they give up memberships and/or pass away. I don't get the impression that on the whole, my generation is all that interested in the "club life" model. We don't want to pay hefty initiations to be locked into a place, or have our social lives tied to a club. I think there will be clubs having to adapt just to continue to exist.

OK, maybe young people aren't looking for the private golf experience so much these days, but he's talking about people who ALREADY BELONG to the club.

The "millennials" at my club couldn't be more fired up about these matches.

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Can I @FAbb - does that work? I dont know, haven't we seen a significant amount of threadfriends join Woodmore recently? I think its a stretch to say that "young people" - however we are defining that - arent interested in joining some place private bc I feel like most of those guys are mostly in that late 20s - late 30s group, no? I know our mens league and our season long team match play bracket have seen good increases and its mostly from new members in that age group.

I completely agree that clubs not willing to try new things - or spend money on course conditions / facility upgrades - those clubs are doomed to fail. But if you offer a good product at a good price, those places will always do well IMO. Whatever it is, you have to have club leadership willing to try new things.

I play in a pro-am at Beaver Creek every year, and also have traveled with their squad out to OCGolfRick's club for a pro-am as well. They will bet on anything. We played a practice round which was $100 game, then they went to the putting green and played a hefty game, and when they got bored there, they went to range and played a game of horse for larger bills. I know the one guy whose pockets are deep enough to join a Bethesda CC, Columbia, etc... drives from Potomac all the way to Beaver Creek because of the games and strength of players. He's a 2 or 3 cap, but their whole squad is not much higher than him. It may be the most competitive club in this area as far as guys looking to play against the best every weekend. Every weekend and Friday a lot of people drive up there for the games. Their head pro, who is a great guy, is a stick as well and is very good at recruiting players to come play in those games. I don't think it is shady nor are they looking for a donation. I think the club truly loves having the best players they can get playing in their weekend games, and making it is competitive as they can. Point of pride, and I think all good players know that you will only get better playing in that environment. Frankly, it's like every Fri-Sun is a state event when you have that many plus and scratch players. I think you always have a standing invite to join in their games if you are ready to lay down the cash. I honestly wish there was a club closer to this area that had that reputation as a player's club, and they place to go for that weekly competition. I know we all have our sticks, but I haven't encountered a club at Beaver's level around here. They aren't lying when they boast their ability in both depth and numbers...

Edit - Beaver may not be the nicest course, but you do have to hit shots there and the greens get stupid hard and fast in-season. I'd make the drive if it was closer.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

> @TheButteryCut said: We played a practice round which was $100 game, then they went to the putting green and played a hefty game, and when they got bored there, they went to range and played a game of horse for larger bills.

(Google Map search "Beaver Creek golf")

> @dcmidnight said:

> I dont know, haven't we seen a significant amount of threadfriends join Woodmore recently?

Yeah, for a no long term commitment, bargain bin rate.

The more entry tier priced places are basically already operating in the mode I'm assuming mid tier places will have to go. Low, or no initiation. Used to operating with a bit higher turnover year over year.

Nagging question. . .how the h*ck is Beaver Creek in the same bracket as Woodmore? it's like a 90 minute drive between the two clubs and you need to drive past like every club in "my" bracket to get there.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheButteryCut said:

> Beaver may not be the nicest course, but you do have to hit shots there and the greens get stupid hard and fast in-season.

No doubt. They get those things cooking in the summer. It's not fancy, but it's a good track to test all areas of your game.

> @TheCityGame said:

> Nagging question. . .how the h*ck is Beaver Creek in the same bracket as Woodmore? it's like a 90 minute drive between the two clubs and you need to drive past like every club in "my" bracket to get there.

The brackets don't seem to make much sense geographically, in general.

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @aiyyer said:

> > BTW the women were great and Jennifer Kupcho is a stud - 5 under over the last six holes with Fassi really putting the pressure on. Draining the putt on the 18th was also impressive.

>

> I enjoyed the golf a lot more than I thought I would, my wife and I both were riveted to the back nine. I kind of wish they had showed the whole round though as opposed to starting coverage at noon. I know they had cameras on the front because they were showing shots here and there after the fact.

They have the entire final round broadcast on their website. ..

https://www.anwagolf.com/index.html

I didn't watch any of it. I might try to catch up on it this week.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @SullGolf said:

> The leader of our federal group called a 15 minute all hands meeting with zero details. I’m pretty sure there’s not much great news coming out of that.

The secretary must have put the wrong distribution list on the email, because it was a totally benign thing that they do all the time. There were a few thousand people wondering if the division got sold or something similar.

> @Ocgolfrick said:

> Anybody else feeling bad for CeeJay? He's taking another crack at Pinehurst #2 and #4 and its....raining again.

I know. And he's got such a long drive to Augusta from Pinehurst. I'd trade with him if I could. #PrayForCeeJay

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

CJ's Pinehurst friend ( who, as CityGame pointed out, looks exactly like you would have expected CJ's friend to look like) had some high strength GolferAid that CJ tried at Mid Pines. It was strong even for CJ, which I think means that it could have killed a normal man.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

For those that played Cattail, what were your thoughts on the course? Any good? Looks extremely tight on a few of the holes and not too much fun to play if you have an off day...

Titleist ProV1

> @TheButteryCut said:

> For those that played Cattail, what were your thoughts on the course? Any good? Looks extremely tight on a few of the holes and not too much fun to play if you have an off day...

So, I played Cattail in the qual for Md Am last year and I played it this weekend. I like the course a lot. It has a lot of different looks off the tee. Par 5's are all reachable, so Fabb would be happy. There's actually some room to miss out there when you need it. Greens have a lot of slope. It's a good walk. Par 3's are a good mix of short and long and a couple take a good shot or you're looking at double.

There's nice landscaping, and bridges and stone work. It definitely has the feel of a pricier club. More so than my place or yours.

There's a dog leg left par 4 that curls around a 10 foot tall natural stone wall. Long enough that you want something off the tee, but you can't miss it in either direction and the approach has to be in the right spot. This is the wide area of the fairway, maybe 225 out, leaving 160 in.

![](https://i.ibb.co/fY6KyLv/Capture.jpg "")

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @TheButteryCut said:

> > For those that played Cattail, what were your thoughts on the course? Any good? Looks extremely tight on a few of the holes and not too much fun to play if you have an off day...

>

> So, I played Cattail in the qual for Md Am last year and I played it this weekend. I like the course a lot. It has a lot of different looks off the tee. Par 5's are all reachable, so Fabb would be happy. There's actually some room to miss out there when you need it. Greens have a lot of slope. It's a good walk. Par 3's are a good mix of short and long and a couple take a good shot or you're looking at double.

>

> There's nice landscaping, and bridges and stone work. It definitely has the feel of a pricier club. More so than my place or yours.

>

> There's a dog leg left par 4 that curls around a 10 foot tall natural stone wall. Long enough that you want something off the tee, but you can't miss it in either direction and the approach has to be in the right spot. This is the wide area of the fairway, maybe 225 out, leaving 160 in.

>

> ![](https://i.ibb.co/fY6KyLv/Capture.jpg "")

>

Thanks! I watched the flyovers and the drone views look intimidating. Have to try to sneak out there some day as it isn't too far from me

Titleist ProV1

> @TheCityGame said:

> ![](https://i.ibb.co/fY6KyLv/Capture.jpg "")

>

I know one shouldn't be hitting it there, but that cart path tilts me so hard. Missing over there is the kind of bad shot that should leave you in a bad position, but instead careens off the path into hazard/OB/lost ball area.

It's much more egregious than the path left of Waverly's 17th green, which had City threatening to walk off the course a week ago.

There's a big drop off to the right of that path. Kind of hard to see from that picture. It's 8-10 feet down to the next level.

It took us 30 minutes to play that hole in the qualifier. One of the guys in my group had a tough time. He hit it into that hazard, found it, then hit it left up the hill and couldn't find it. By that point the rules official and he were figuring it out and the other two of us were at the green.