2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2019 LPGA Schedule ?

fredogolfer

Add the Vic Open to LPGA schedule, so 2 australian/LPGA sanctioned events in a row next February

I saw the announcement a bit earlier today. Will the purse be 1.5 million AUD or 1.5 million US? If it's AUD it will.be the smallest purse on the lpga tour.

$1.5 million Aus

Interesting the LPGA would accept a full field event with such a small purse.

Yeah this one kinda irks me a little, I feel bad for the LET. My take right now is may this event have 4 days of torrential rain lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add the Vic Open to LPGA schedule, so 2 australian/LPGA sanctioned events in a row next February

I saw the announcement a bit earlier today. Will the purse be 1.5 million AUD or 1.5 million US? If it's AUD it will.be the smallest purse on the lpga tour.

$1.5 million Aus

Interesting the LPGA would accept a full field event with such a small purse.

Yeah this one kinda irks me a little, I feel bad for the LET. My take right now is may this event have 4 days of torrential rain lol

I think the massive upside to the event concept and global attention this will have, plus 2 weeks in a row in Aus is what assisted to get this into LPGA sanctioning. Without being privvy to negotiations and changing of co sanctioning arrangements, I'm sure the Vic govt who has poured massive money into this event would have pushed Golf Australia hard to make this happen and ensure the best field possible and thus tough calls needed to be made. You can't blame the event organisers for wanting the best field possible and it's unfortunate for euros but necessary for continued long term growth.

As a player, I can understand both sides of the coin to this. The field composition has now also changed and we don't have confirmation of how the spots will be broken down and reallocated so it's a nervous wait. I'm sure ALPG will lose spots as well to accommodate what I'm hearing is 80 LPGA spots, though not confirmed.

The Vic Open has got to be good for the Australian Open. The prize money is not great, but having 2 events down under should entice more LPGA players to come. The Aus Open in recent years has been an event with reasonable prize money, but one of the weakest LPGA fields. If a player can come down here for 2 events instead of 1, it should/could get the ball rolling.

Even though the commissioner said the LPGA would be releasing the schedule this week, with the announcement of AIG taking over sponsorship of the Women's British Open today and tomorrow being Friday, I doubt the schedule will be release. The commissioner doesn't like to take attention away from big announcements and I would imagine the WBO one is bigger since it pertains to one of the pillars of the LPGA. Friday would kill any media attention, so it looks like we'll be waiting until next week, if not longer.

Even though the commissioner said the LPGA would be releasing the schedule this week, with the announcement of AIG taking over sponsorship of the Women's British Open today and tomorrow being Friday, I doubt the schedule will be release. The commissioner doesn't like to take attention away from big announcements and I would imagine the WBO one is bigger since it pertains to one of the pillars of the LPGA. Friday would kill any media attention, so it looks like we'll be waiting until next week, if not longer.

I didn't know Ricoh didn't renew the sponsorship; fortunately AIG stepped up to the plate.

There're many moving parts on the schedule, LPGA can't release the schedule until everything is buttoned down.

I didn't know Ricoh didn't renew the sponsorship; fortunately AIG stepped up to the plate.

There're many moving parts on the schedule, LPGA can't release the schedule until everything is buttoned down.

The US gets killed on these boards all the time for supposedly only caring about American players. What the heck is wrong with Europe/UK/R&A that they can't put the money and effort together to put on a proper WBO without some title sponsor?

I dunno. The U.S. appears to be the only country that ponies up the cash to run their open without a sponsor. Canada (CP), Australia (ISPS Handa), New Zealand (Mckayson - Canceled), Scotland (Aberdeen), and even Korea (Kia) need help.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I dunno. The U.S. appears to be the only country that ponies up the cash to run their open without a sponsor. Canada (CP), Australia (ISPS Handa), New Zealand (Mckayson - Canceled), Scotland (Aberdeen), and even Korea (Kia) need help.

USGA is fortunate to sign a billion dollars broadcast deal with Fox; that's been the engine to drive the purses for both US Open and US Women's Open. Both US Open and US Women's open have the biggest purses for both tours.

The R&A signed a similar 12 year deal with NBC starting 2017, the dollar amount wasn't disclosed. The Open is funded by the R&A; no outside sponsor needed.

I'm sure The R&A could have also fund Women's British Open but chosen not to. It's a matter of priority.

In any case, USGA needs to be applauded for its incessant support and drive to elevate the purses for tour players.

Much ado about nothing.

http://www.lpga.com/news/2018-lpga-announces-2019-season-schedule

Whan said CME would not be the highest purse, it appears it is tied with the USWO for highest purse.

The stop in the Seoul area is gone. Malaysia is gone ( although we knew that already), Blue Bay isn't on the schedule and the release has conflicting information, it says the top 60 players after Blue Bay so one has to assume Blue Bay hasn't been finalized and is the tournament that will be there for 2019.

I feel like fans were led to believe the schedule would be bigger than it is.

The stop in the Seoul area is gone...Blue Bay isn't on the schedule and the release has conflicting information, it says the top 60 players after Blue Bay so one has to assume Blue Bay hasn't been finalized and is the tournament that will be there for 2019.

Seoul-less scheduling?! I feel that the Incheon tournament at Sky72 was one of the highlights of the 2018 schedule. it is always good to see golf played in front of genuine, appreciative audiences. And the Koreans love golf. The move to Busan is neutral at best.

Blue Bay...bleeeh. It's a resort course, and as much as I love the course, it doesn't have passionate spectators

The stop in the Seoul area is gone...Blue Bay isn't on the schedule and the release has conflicting information, it says the top 60 players after Blue Bay so one has to assume Blue Bay hasn't been finalized and is the tournament that will be there for 2019.

Seoul-less scheduling?! I feel that the Incheon tournament at Sky72 was one of the highlights of the 2018 schedule. it is always good to see golf played in front of genuine, appreciative audiences. And the Koreans love golf. The move to Busan is neutral at best.

Blue Bay...bleeeh. It's a resort course, and as much as I love the course, it doesn't have passionate spectators

Does Blue Bay have spectators at all? LOL. I just think this schedule is meh. The commissioner is highlighting stability. So stability is losing Bahamas, Volvik, New Zealand, Malaysia, possibly Blue Bay, SKY 72? I wonder what happened with KEB, the sponsor at SKY 72?

Furthermore it just rubs me the wrong way that he would sit at the tour championships and lie about there being a higher purse than CME without any true confirmation. He is also quoted in many Detroit area newspapers as being confident there will be an event in Ann Arbor. How many times do we hear that? For the casual LPGA fan, its no big deal they don't pay that much attention to that.Every time an event goes away, he is confident something will return to the area Rochester, Waterloo etc.

I don't even know why I am that upset. Arkansas and Dallas are still on the schedule lol.

Does Blue Bay have spectators at all? LOL. I just think this schedule is meh. The commissioner is highlighting stability. So stability is losing Bahamas, Volvik, New Zealand, Malaysia, possibly Blue Bay, SKY 72? I wonder what happened with KEB, the sponsor at SKY 72?

Furthermore it just rubs me the wrong way that he would sit at the tour championships and lie about there being a higher purse than CME without any true confirmation. He is also quoted in many Detroit area newspapers as being confident there will be an event in Ann Arbor. How many times do we hear that? For the casual LPGA fan, its no big deal they don't pay that much attention to that.Every time an event goes away, he is confident something will return to the area Rochester, Waterloo etc.

I don't even know why I am that upset. Arkansas and Dallas are still on the schedule lol.

KEB Hana Bank was upset that LPGA started a new tournament in Korea without consulting with them; they'll use their money to sponsor KPGA and KLPGA events instead.

I'm sure Mike Whan is confident that US Women's Open will raise the purse to higher than $5.0 million before or during the tournament.

I agree there haven't been any new breakthroughs other than CME Group Tour Championship.

'Nothing wrong with stability. I see it as a positive sign that a lost tournament is quickly offset by a new one. 'Lose the Volvik, gain the Dow. Purses are up.

I expect we'll see decent crowds at the BMW, as it's less than 3 hours from Seoul.

Technically they didn't lose the Pure Silk. They lost the tournament in the Bahamas. Pure Silk has moved its sponsorship to the Kingsmill event, replacing GEICO.

How did they lose Malaysia? They didn't play in Malaysia in 2018.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

'Nothing wrong with stability. I see it as a positive sign that a lost tournament is quickly offset by a new one. 'Lose the Volvik, gain the Dow. Purses are up.

I expect we'll see decent crowds at the BMW, as it's less than 3 hours from Seoul.

Technically they didn't lose the Pure Silk. They lost the tournament in the Bahamas. Pure Silk has moved its sponsorship to the Kingsmill event, replacing GEICO.

How did they lose Malaysia? They didn't play in Malaysia in 2018.

I didn't say they lost PureSilk, I said Bahamas. Abruptly losing one event in the middle of a season and losing another widely publicized to return in 2019 doesn't scream stability. Hey, I'm still an LPGA fan but let's call a spin a spin.

The New Zealand event was never on firm ground to start with. I'm not shocked to see it go.

Back to back majors? Not a fan of that. Wonder if that's a permanent decision?

I have to assume it will be. They wanted to move the Evian back to July, and with the WBO at the end of the month there's not a lot of room. I assume they don't want an off week on Europe, so even if they did manage to move the Evian up one week in place of the new Dow Great Lakes tournament, they'd likely move the Ladies Scottish Open in the middle, which would really hurt it given that a lot of players are not going to want to play three weeks in a row with two majors in the mix.