Topgolf Auburn Hills

Mi-Golfer

So we went to Topgolf in Auburn Hills yesterday and its pretty incredible! They told us each location costs over 1 million to build and it certainly looks like it. We got there about 11:00 and had to wait about 15 minutes until our bay was ready. Each floor has about 30 hitting bays and there are 3 levels so there are around 100 bays. Everything is done via text on your phone so I'd suggest registering online before you go. Speaking of registering, everyone in your group has to sign up and pay the $5 fee or they don't play! Rates run from $25hr from 9-12, $35/hr from about 12-5, and then $45 after 5:00. So not exactly cheap but there really is nothing else like it.

Whatever you do bring your own clubs! The ones they have at the bays are some kind of Callaway shovel with what felt like Senior-flex graphite shafts. About 50-60% of the people were bringing their own clubs in so no worries about being "that guy"

As far as the actual playing it was about 40* and we had a pretty steady wind blowing right at us but there is definitely a distance penalty with their chipped balls. We were on the ground level so you couldn't really see where the balls landed in the targets but the display lights up to show you where you hit it and how many points you gte. Can't wait for some of you longer hitters (3JP, TB, ITW) to go and see what kind of distances you get. We only played for an hour and it felt like only 15 minutes. Overall very cool!

Here's some pics...

11bq7er.jpg

2m4q729.jpg

sxy5qs.jpg

2lk9qpk.jpg

30d9iky.jpg

v7tbhi.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I forgot to mention that I found pretty funny. If you look at the last two pictures you can see a lone cart parked out in the target area. While I was waiting to hit I asked one of the workers about it and apparently someone has to physically go down into the targets and push the balls into the collection area to get picked up! She said they can't be out there without a helmet and they park the cart so it offers some protection but come on you couldn't pay me enough to go out into a driving range like that!!

These are some interesting facts I found on-line

Fact Sheet

AVERAGE VISIT LENGTH 2 hours

AVERAGE VISITS PER DAY 35,000 in 2017

AVERAGE GROUP SIZE 4 people

68% male

32% female

AGE By Group

16% Ages 17 And Younger

54% Ages 18-34

14% Ages 35-44

14% Ages 45-64

2% Ages 65+

TRADITIONAL GOLFERS By Type

51% Of Topgolf Guests Are Non-Golfers

27% Are Occasional Green Grass Golfers (1-7 Rounds Annually)

14% Are Moderate Green Grass Golfers (8-24 Rounds Annually)

8% Are Avid Green Grass Golfers (25+ Rounds Annually)

Just got back from TopGolf in Auburn Hills.

Friday 5:30p-8:30p. We arrived without a reservation at 4:30 and it was an hour wait.

It’s clean, well-constructed and it was comfortable in the bay to wear just a polo even though it was lightly snowing.

The balls aren’t premium obviously, so adjust distances, it was ~1 club less for me. We had some balls not register or register incorrectly, but it’s easily editable. Food was ok, we got a few appetizers and the pretzel was REALLY stale.

Getting those negative things out of the way, it’s really enjoyable to have one of these in Michigan, love the games, ambiance and high quality bays. Can’t wait to go back!

We visited on a Wed afternoon around noon. The place was packed and we had about a half hour wait. It certainly isn't cheap. We played for 2 hours and had a sandwich and a couple of beers and it was about $70 each (two of us). Food was ok. The temp was fine, but it was a pretty warm day (low 40's).

It was a good time but I'm not sure I would make the drive from Novi to do it again.

Went today for the first time. Drove over and put our name in at 11. Bay became available around 12:45, an hour before expected. We made a mad dash from my house to get there on time but everything worked out perfect. Brought my own clubs minus driver and putter and next time would bring less but still nice to have my bag to keep everything organized and not lose anything (I'm lefty btw). I wish there were more games to choose from but I plan on going again next Friday and bringing my son because he's really excited to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I've been three times with my son now. He absolutely loves it! I can see alot of improvement in his swing because prior to this he had only swung his clubs once all year.

I'm going again today for a friend's birthday party, which will be my 5th or 6th time since they opened.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I went out there on a Saturday in January on a beautiful day (high 40s and sunny) and arrived at around 11:00 without a reservation. They told us it would be something like an hour & 15 minutes to an hour & 45 minutes. We had planned to go somewhere else for lunch, so we just went ahead and did that, and returned right around the lower end of the time range they told us. We grabbed a beer and waited in the downstairs lounge for a while. It ended up being around 2 hours from when we put our name in, but whatever. It's a good place to wait -- beverages and lots of TVs with sports on.

This was my first experience with TopGolf, and it is a lot of fun, both for golf nuts like me and people with my wife who don't play hardly at all. I don't get much out of hitting balls at the range most of the time, because I have no attention span and get bored easily. The target and competition aspect of the TopGolf experience is good for people like me, who are simple and need to be rewarded when we do something good. My wife also got into a pretty good groove with her swing, and was hitting it really well toward the end, so we both had a good time. It's a hike for us from Canton, so I doubt we'll be regulars, but I could see us getting a group together and going out there from time to time. I've been putting a bug in the ear of some people at work, and hopefully we'll manage the occasional outing there for a customer or team event. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. I'm curious to see if the crowds die down after it's been open for a while. I'd definitely try to make a reservation next time. They didn't have any reservations open when I checked a couple days before we went, which made me think they didn't take weekend reservations, but I think I was just too late.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

My wife and I went out there on a Saturday in January on a beautiful day (high 40s and sunny) and arrived at around 11:00 without a reservation. They told us it would be something like an hour & 15 minutes to an hour & 45 minutes. We had planned to go somewhere else for lunch, so we just went ahead and did that, and returned right around the lower end of the time range they told us. We grabbed a beer and waited in the downstairs lounge for a while. It ended up being around 2 hours from when we put our name in, but whatever. It's a good place to wait -- beverages and lots of TVs with sports on.

This was my first experience with TopGolf, and it is a lot of fun, both for golf nuts like me and people with my wife who don't play hardly at all. I don't get much out of hitting balls at the range most of the time, because I have no attention span and get bored easily. The target and competition aspect of the TopGolf experience is good for people like me, who are simple and need to be rewarded when we do something good. My wife also got into a pretty good groove with her swing, and was hitting it really well toward the end, so we both had a good time. It's a hike for us from Canton, so I doubt we'll be regulars, but I could see us getting a group together and going out there from time to time. I've been putting a bug in the ear of some people at work, and hopefully we'll manage the occasional outing there for a customer or team event. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. I'm curious to see if the crowds die down after it's been open for a while. I'd definitely try to make a reservation next time. They didn't have any reservations open when I checked a couple days before we went, which made me think they didn't take weekend reservations, but I think I was just too late.

If you want a place to drink really good craft beer for free while you wait, I'm only about 4 miles away ;)

Reservations go up on the website a week before the day you want to go and they only have 10 or so "reservations" per day from what we heard when we were there so you have to grab them pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Went there on January 13th for my birthday with some friends. Golf was good (although it as pretty cold), Drinks were fine. Overall I liked the facility, but I have to say the food was awful. We got Chicken Quesadillas, Wings, Chicken Sandwiches, Nachos, and Burgers for the group. I have to say the Nachos were the only thing I would even say were ok. I was kind of shocked. I've been to the Top Golf in Brandon, FL (Tampa) probably a dozen times and never once had an issue with the food or anything. It just seemed like they tried to "gourmet" up everything and they failed miserably. Anyone else have this issue? I don't think this will stop me from going there, but I know I won't be ordering food anymore.

35,000 people a day??? So thousands of people are there at a time?

35,000 people a day??? So thousands of people are there at a time?

Sure - think globally - there are 62 Topgolf's around the world.

There are 100 bays (per the website) in Auburn Hills and assuming 4 people per bay x 14 hrs a day = 5,600/day x 62 locations = 347,200 a day!! (potentially of course)

So they are only running at a little more than 10% capacity!

Oh and average visits per day were up to 45,609 in 2018 - bonuses all around!

We went again on Saturday. Holy long wait. Checked in a 2 pm and asked for 3rd floor (my son is picky, and no big deal because we were free all day). We went home and came back around 4:30. Got the text saying our bay was almost ready about the same time we walked in. Didn't actually get assigned a bay until 5:20, which sucked for our friends because they had to leave by 6.

Had another group of friends join us when they left and we ended up staying until 8. I spent about $100 but it was fun and I got my son off the video games for a few hours.

Their reservation policy is going to be chasing people who don't live in the immediate area away. People who live on my side of town where it's an hour to drive to Auburn Hills are basically stuck spending the better part of a day between the drive back & forth, waiting for upwards of 3 hours for a bay, and playing for an hour or two. Once the weather gets nice and actual golf courses open and TopGolf becomes less new and novel in the area, I'm going to be curious to hear if their business drops off significantly.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I don’t think it will. I lived 2 miles from the TG in Houston and it was always full, and never not a wait. However, I think the novelty is still there. I’ll give it another 8-12 months before it wears off. There will still be lines and waits, but not multiple hours like some are describing. Once summer opens up, the open outdoor bars will open and not make that restaurant on the entrance level seem so packed.

I’ve always thought their appetizers are really good and the Auburn Hills location doesn’t disappoint. For the cost, I think it’s just like a nice night out anywhere else, except I get to do what I love with friends in the process.