Philadelphia Area Club Builder

SDC10

Looking for some recommendations for a club builder in the Philadelphia area. Im familiar with club champion and big box stores; looking for an alternative.

Taylormade M1 9.75* - Tensei White
Taylormade M4 Tour Issue HL 15.5* - Matrix Black Tie
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 20* - Tensei Orange
Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-P - KBS Tour
Taylormade MG 50*, 55*, & 60 - KBS Tour
Odyssey 2Ball 10

Srixon Z-Star XV

George Izett on Haverford Rd in Ardmore across from DMI hardware store.

+1

Called them up today to get some pricing and was quoted $45 per club for reshafting. I have all components: Heads, shafts, grip. Correct me if I’m wrong, but ~$400 to build a set of irons seems absurd. Am I crazy?

Odyssey 2Ball 10

Srixon Z-Star XV

Caveat: I know of Izett but I’m not a club builder or too knowledgeable about a club builder’s prices. That said, based on what you said, I think they gave you that price as a polite way of saying that kind of work isn’t worth their time. My hunch is that high end club builders make some money off the labor, and some money off the components. So if you have everything already, they only make money off the labor, which may not be worth it to them. Not saying this is definitely the case - and I certainly don’t want to speak for them. I’m just thinking about other businesses where this type of stuff can happen (eg, auto mechanics, home theater installers) so it’s a possibility.

• Like 1

George Izett on Haverford Rd in Ardmore across from DMI hardware store.

+1

Called them up today to get some pricing and was quoted $45 per club for reshafting. I have all components: Heads, shafts, grip. Correct me if I’m wrong, but ~$400 to build a set of irons seems absurd. Am I crazy?

Nope you're not crazy. They are expensive but they have been around for a very long time. A buddy of mine had a set of Mizunos fit and made for him last year and he just picked up a set of the new Mizuno wedges yesterday. He paid an arm and a leg for the irons and a few toes for the wedges but he can afford it.

I went with him when they fitted him last season and checked out the shop. Nothing special. Very old school. Even their equipment is probably 40-50 years old. Not that that matters. It's one of those old shops with a lot of history. It was a pretty cool place.

Back when when persimmon were all we had Izett actually made their own drivers which my buddy bought as a teen in the 80's. It was his first non-hand-me-down club he bought himself. He had Izett re-finish for him last year. This is one of the main reasons he went to Izett for his fitting and clubs. A long history in the business.

Part of their fitting (at least in my buddies case) is after they build you a set of clubs they take you to a local country club to play a couple holes to see if the clubs fit your swing then go back to the shop and make adjustments.

What I was really un-impressed with was when the fitter sold my buddy an Adams XTD driver for and ungodly price with Oban shaft. He had a new Epic driver he brought in to the fitting and the fitter wouldn't even look at it. Wouldn't even consider fitting a shaft for him for it. He lost a ton of distance with the Adams set up. The fitter told him only Adams XTD and a Japan driver club head( I forget the name of the club) were the only ones on the market that were square at address. I was there for that comment.

He had an M1 before the Epic and Adams and hit it well. I told him the Adams XTD and M1 adapters are the same and to try the M1 with the Oban shaft. It was night and day compared to the Adams. He has his distance back and hits it straighter with the Oban and shifting the head weights around in the head. Other than the driver thing my buddy is happy with everything they did so that's all that counts.

You asked for a Philly area place other than big box so there you go!

Bernie Dunn in pitman is the best

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

This is the type of story I have heard many times. I have a guy near me in The Lehigh Valley area that is the same. These long time guys seem to carry older components and are set in their ways. I had a buddy get fit for some KZG irons (which I researched and were released in 2010) last year. These guys have limited components. My buddy spent over $1000 for the irons and fitting. He had a hand me down set of Cobra’s from the 90’s and the guy did not even have him hit them. Overall his scores have not really improved. He used to shoot around 105-110 and break 100 once or twice a year. He still rarely breaks 100.

Some interesting feedback... Izett must moonlight as a criminal defense attorney with these prices. Paying what will equate to >$100/hr for labor only is asinine.

Joking aside, thanks all for the feedback. Will definitely give Bernie Dunn a call as well.

Odyssey 2Ball 10

Srixon Z-Star XV

Some interesting feedback... Izett must moonlight as a criminal defense attorney with these prices. Paying what will equate to >$100/hr for labor only is asinine.

Joking aside, thanks all for the feedback. Will definitely give Bernie Dunn a call as well.

Dont expect some elaborate workshop...its a corner of his basement. Reminds me of "ma...meatloaf!" Super great dude with a TON of knowledge.

This is the type of story I have heard many times. I have a guy near me in The Lehigh Valley area that is the same. These long time guys seem to carry older components and are set in their ways. I had a buddy get fit for some KZG irons (which I researched and were released in 2010) last year. These guys have limited components. My buddy spent over $1000 for the irons and fitting. He had a hand me down set of Cobra’s from the 90’s and the guy did not even have him hit them. Overall his scores have not really improved. He used to shoot around 105-110 and break 100 once or twice a year. He still rarely breaks 100.

Going out on a limb to suggest it’s not the clubs holding your buddy back.

Looking for some recommendations for a club builder in the Philadelphia area. Im familiar with club champion and big box stores; looking for an alternative.

Any specific reason for looking beyond CC? (Price, past dealings, something...?) I like the guys at CC and think they do good work. And they stand by it.

Izett is easier for me to get to than CC, but, man, they're so old-school there that I just haven't been able to buy in. They have a great reputation in the area, and plenty of people swear by them. I just... have gone elsewhere after a couple past trials.

SDC-

Your post asks for club builders in the Phila PA area.

You've been given Izett Golf and Bernie Dunn.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

-John Ruskin

The choice has always been yours.

• Like 1

This is the type of story I have heard many times. I have a guy near me in The Lehigh Valley area that is the same. These long time guys seem to carry older components and are set in their ways. I had a buddy get fit for some KZG irons (which I researched and were released in 2010) last year. These guys have limited components. My buddy spent over $1000 for the irons and fitting. He had a hand me down set of Cobras from the 90s and the guy did not even have him hit them. Overall his scores have not really improved. He used to shoot around 105-110 and break 100 once or twice a year. He still rarely breaks 100.

I dont want to name the shop your talking about, but is it on Stefko Blvd? Im in the Lehigh Valley also, no good options around here. Which led me to doing some of my own work, its not professional....but neither am i.

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

I dont want to name the shop your talking about, but is it on Stefko Blvd? Im in the Lehigh Valley also, no good options around here. Which led me to doing some of my own work, its not professional....but neither am i.

Yes. I do my own as well. Nothing major- grips, shaft trimming, switching adapters. Like you say not professional but gets the job done.