2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Hidden Gems Tour August 2019

omied9c331i8.jpg

This August I am planning a Hidden Gems Tour, mostly in Scotland. I've booked a nonstop return flight to Manchester from Orlando on Thomas Cook Airlines in their Premium Economy class. (better seats in front of aircraft, priority boarding, more luggage, free drinks, free movies, premium meals) Its a night flight, arriving Manchester at 8:40 AM. Renting a VW Golf Automatic and will begin the journey. Got the idea from the hidden gems thread in this forum, and also used this website to research the courses. https://www.top100golfcourses.com/

It looks like a lot of driving but its only 975 miles spread out over three weeks, most of the drives are 1-2 hours except the last one heading back to Manchester.

Not all are hidden gems, but most are courses less frequented by tourists. Thanks to all who contributed to hidden gems thread.

Courses/Stops on the itinerary include

Day 1 -Windemere (spend night in Ambleside)

Day 2 -Siloth on Solway (spend night in Dumfries)

Day 3 - Southerness (drive to Troon)

Days 4-6 Troon (Marine Hotel) Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes or Barassie, drive to Dundee afternoon Day 6

Day 7 - Forfar (then drive to Aberdeen)

Days 8-10 Aberdeen Trump International, Murcar, Newmachar Hawkskill, drive to Elgin

Day 11 Castle Stuart, drive to Boat of Garten

Day 12 Boat of Garten, drive to Pitlochry

Days 13-14 Pitlochry, Rosemount, drive to St Andrews

Days 15-19 Kingsbarns, Castle, Crail, Lundin and Leven drive to St Boswells

Day 20 - Roxburghe Drive to Manchester Airport hotel

Day 21 - Fly home

I managed to book hotels along the way with indoor pools and spas for an average of $125 USD per night, except in St Andrews, where I will stay 3 days in a Kingsbarns B&B, then 2 days at Old Manor above Lundin Links, only hotels with pools I could find on my dates were Fairmont and Old Course Hotel which are $400 and $600 per night. However, I contacted the Fairmont which is close to my Kingsbarns B&B and they sell day passes to their awesome indoor pool and spa for about $30 USD, so I can go there after my rounds. Total cost of trip will be around $7500 or so including airfare, car rental, hotels, green fees, food and gas. Not bad when you look at the costs of some of the package tours.

I'll post lots of pics and comments when I make the trip, until then comments are appreciated!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assume you've been before or plan many returns? To be playing Dundonald/Western Gailes, T Aberdeen, Castle Stuart, and Kingsbarns/Castle, in lieu of Prestwick, Royal Aberdeen, Dornoch, and TOC?

Consider Lancashire courses or Seascale over Windemere?

Quite a few over Roxburghe?

You're in for a good time regardless and will have loads of fun!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @pgapromex said:

>

> Days 15-19 Kingsbarns, Castle, Crail, Lundin and Leven drive to St Boswells

> D Total cost of trip will be around $7500 or so including airfare, car rental, hotels, green fees, food and gas. Not bad when you look at the costs of some of the package tours.

my 2 cents.

When in St. Andrews area, take in consideration to play also TOC, Carnoustie, Gleneagles or elie.

Lundin and Leven are quite similar (they split 9 holes each to create 2 courses), but I prefer Lundin by far.

I'd play Carnoustie instead of Kingsbarn, just for his history.

Castle is great, but, I'd give a chance to TOC (you're there...).

As for the price, it's quite high for the tipology of hotels you choose, as you could spend a half sleeping in B&B, but I see that the pool/spa is a priority.

Cool tour, have fun!

Looks like an interesting if tiring tour! There are always sacrifices which have to be made on trips, however...

Day 8-10: Perhaps consider playing two of Lossiemouth, Fraserburgh or Cullen en route to Elgin and drop Newmachar and Hawkshill.

Day 15-19: Perhaps consider playing Elie and drop any of the courses you mentioned.

Ciao

> @duffer987 said:

> Assume you've been before or plan many returns? To be playing Dundonald/Western Gailes, T Aberdeen, Castle Stuart, and Kingsbarns/Castle, in lieu of Prestwick, Royal Aberdeen, Dornoch, and TOC?

> Consider Lancashire courses or Seascale over Windemere?

> Quite a few over Roxburghe?

>

> You're in for a good time regardless and will have loads of fun!

> @duffer987 said:

> Assume you've been before or plan many returns? To be playing Dundonald/Western Gailes, T Aberdeen, Castle Stuart, and Kingsbarns/Castle, in lieu of Prestwick, Royal Aberdeen, Dornoch, and TOC?

> Consider Lancashire courses or Seascale over Windemere?

> Quite a few over Roxburghe?

>

> You're in for a good time regardless and will have loads of fun!

Thanks for the comments, I played most of the Open rota courses 20 years ago and enjoyed them but my days of playing 7000 yard brutes in 3 club winds are over! Also, I have 2 total hip replacements and the legs are not what they used to be, so I have to play courses that rent buggies. I am trying to work Royal Dornoch into the trip, waiting on some emails. Seascale looks like fun! Roxburghe was picked as it is on the way from St Andrews to Manchester, not to far off the highway. Plus I like courses with elevation changes

> @Mignuz said:

> > @pgapromex said:

> >

> > Days 15-19 Kingsbarns, Castle, Crail, Lundin and Leven drive to St Boswells

> > D Total cost of trip will be around $7500 or so including airfare, car rental, hotels, green fees, food and gas. Not bad when you look at the costs of some of the package tours.

>

> my 2 cents.

> When in St. Andrews area, take in consideration to play also TOC, Carnoustie, Gleneagles or elie.

> Lundin and Leven are quite similar (they split 9 holes each to create 2 courses), but I prefer Lundin by far.

> I'd play Carnoustie instead of Kingsbarn, just for his history.

> Castle is great, but, I'd give a chance to TOC (you're there...).

> As for the price, it's quite high for the tipology of hotels you choose, as you could spend a half sleeping in B&B, but I see that the pool/spa is a priority.

> Cool tour, have fun!

>

>

Thanks, I have played most of those. TOC is tough to get on as a single, not interested in waiting in line all night, we'll see. Also, I am a PGA member, many of these courses are comping my round or offering a nice discount, for example Kingsbarns 90 GBP including cart but I have to have a caddy there which is fine. St Andrews Links Trust does not offer PGA member rates for some reason, but I have never played Castle so will probably try it unless I think of something better. Yes, I will pay extra for hotels with pools, really helps me recuperate and relax. I think I may drop Leven and play Elie instead.

> @"El Gringo" said:

> Looks like an interesting if tiring tour! There are always sacrifices which have to be made on trips, however...

> Day 8-10: Perhaps consider playing two of Lossiemouth, Fraserburgh or Cullen en route to Elgin and drop Newmachar and Hawkshill.

> Day 15-19: Perhaps consider playing Elie and drop any of the courses you mentioned.

> Ciao

>

>

>

Yes its a long trip but broken up pretty well. Newmachar Hawkshill is one course, the ones you mention look like loads of fun but will add to my driving times, I planned this route and looked for courses along the way that look intreresting. Taking your advice and will play Elie instead of Leven as it is close to my hotel.

Elie is a lot of fun, make sure to walk across the street to the golf pub... its great to mingle with the locals. I would second the Fraserburgh recommendation. If you can get to Crail, either the original old course designed by Tom Morris or the new one by Gil Hanse are great. I played all these on my trip to St. Andrews area in 2013.

> @Bargegolf said:

> Elie is a lot of fun, make sure to walk across the street to the golf pub... its great to mingle with the locals. I would second the Fraserburgh recommendation. If you can get to Crail, either the original old course designed by Tom Morris or the new one by Gil Hanse are great. I played all these on my trip to St. Andrews area in 2013.

Will do. I will play at least one of the Crail courses for sure. Fraserburgh looks amazing, they must have fun cutting those fairways! Maybe I can work it in we will see.

> @pgapromex said:

> > @"El Gringo" said:

> > Looks like an interesting if tiring tour! There are always sacrifices which have to be made on trips, however...

> > Day 8-10: Perhaps consider playing two of Lossiemouth, Fraserburgh or Cullen en route to Elgin and drop Newmachar and Hawkshill.

> > Day 15-19: Perhaps consider playing Elie and drop any of the courses you mentioned.

> > Ciao

> >

> >

> >

> Yes its a long trip but broken up pretty well. Newmachar Hawkshill is one course, the ones you mention look like loads of fun but will add to my driving times, I planned this route and looked for courses along the way that look intreresting. Taking your advice and will play Elie instead of Leven as it is close to my hotel.

>

Sorry, senior moment confusing Newmachar with Newburgh. Looking at the website my recommendation for Fraserburgh etc is even stronger! Sometimes an extra hour in the car is a small price to pay.

Ciao

> @pgapromex said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > Assume you've been before or plan many returns? To be playing Dundonald/Western Gailes, T Aberdeen, Castle Stuart, and Kingsbarns/Castle, in lieu of Prestwick, Royal Aberdeen, Dornoch, and TOC?

> > Consider Lancashire courses or Seascale over Windemere?

> > Quite a few over Roxburghe?

> >

> > You're in for a good time regardless and will have loads of fun!

> > @duffer987 said:

> > Assume you've been before or plan many returns? To be playing Dundonald/Western Gailes, T Aberdeen, Castle Stuart, and Kingsbarns/Castle, in lieu of Prestwick, Royal Aberdeen, Dornoch, and TOC?

> > Consider Lancashire courses or Seascale over Windemere?

> > Quite a few over Roxburghe?

> >

> > You're in for a good time regardless and will have loads of fun!

>

> Thanks for the comments, I played most of the Open rota courses 20 years ago and enjoyed them but my days of playing 7000 yard brutes in 3 club winds are over! Also, I have 2 total hip replacements and the legs are not what they used to be, so I have to play courses that rent buggies. I am trying to work Royal Dornoch into the trip, waiting on some emails. Seascale looks like fun! Roxburghe was picked as it is on the way from St Andrews to Manchester, not to far off the highway. Plus I like courses with elevation changes

Gotcha. I can see that requirement can add some extra administrative stuff to sort out.

I asked about those marquee courses and Roxburghe, because they are modern courses and assumed if you were looking for gemtastic tracks in Scotland/North, you'd want courses from the likes of Old Tom, Braid, MacKenzie, Colt, etc... Not that there is anything wrong with the modern tracks of course, KB is very enjoyable and I look forwad to seeing Castle Stuart at the end of the month, although I have to say I wasn't keen on Castle course.

When passing by Glasgow/whilein Ayr, East Renfrewshire GC looks pretty darn interesting, definitely will have some elevation, but it's possible they don't have buggies.

Halifax Golf Club on the way from Scotland to Manchester would also have some elevation changes, some look pretty bonkers, and has buggies.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Speaking of Crail, they have a great offer on their website. Unlimited golf from April 1 to September 30 on Craigshead after 1:30 PM (except saturdays) for 210 GBP. If I was staying in St Andrews for a couple weeks I'd buy one, play other courses in the mornings. https://www.crailgolfingsociety.co.uk/Offers/

I will also play Boat of Garten, Pitlochry and Blairgowrie Rosemount in a few weeks. Will post some pictures too. (The others I play on this trip: Dornoch, Brora and Golspie.)

On your list I already played: Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Castle Stuart, Blairgowrie Rosemount, Crail, Lundin and Leven. All great tracks.

> @babyfade said:

> I will also play Boat of Garten, Pitlochry and Blairgowrie Rosemount in a few weeks. Will post some pictures too. (The others I play on this trip: Dornoch, Brora and Golspie.)

> On your list I already played: Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, Castle Stuart, Blairgowrie Rosemount, Crail, Lundin and Leven. All great tracks.

Good to know have fun!

Made a few changes, it's a good mix of some old and new links and a few parkland/highlands courses for some variety.

Revised itinerary:

Day 1 -Windemere

Day 2 -Siloth on Solway

Day 3 - Southerness

Days 4-6 Troon: Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes

Day 7 - Royal Aberdeen

Days 8-10 Aberdeen Trump International, Murcar, Moray Old

Day 11 Castle Stuart

Day 12 Boat of Garten

Days 13-14 Pitlochry, Rosemount

Days 15-19 Kingsbarns, Castle, Crail, Elie, Lundin, Anstruther

Day 20 - Roxburghe

Day 21 - Fly home

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from 3 weeks in Scotland I would seriously advise to to head North from Glasgow and change days 7-14 as follows: Boat of Garten, Castle Stuart, Brora, Royal Dornoch, Fortrose & Rosemarkie, Nairn/Old Moray, Fraserburgh/Trump, Royal Aberdeen and then to Fife. Please dont miss RD if you have 3 weeks.

Having just returned from 3 weeks in Scotland I would seriously consider heading North from Glasgow and change days 7-14 as follows: Boat of Garten, Castle Stuart, Brora, Royal Dornoch, Fortrose & Rosemarkie (absolute gem), Nairn/Old Moray, Fraserburgh/Trump, Royal Aberdeen and then to Fife. Please dont miss RD if you have 3 weeks.