2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf Nutrition

> @jut111 said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @jut111 said:

> > > You guys running a marathon or playing golf? If you’re running out of energy during the 4–5 hours it takes to play id look at you’re off course diet and routine as the culprit.

> > >

> > well depends if you are walking or riding. I mean walking, I could see running out of energy being an issue especially if carrying your bag too. Walking an entire 18 and carrying bag has to be a ton of calories.

>

> Ive been carrying just about every weekend this season. It’s about 7.5 miles and burns around 7-900 calories according to my Apple Watch. I usually play in the morning fasted and eat when I get home.

>

> I’m far from the picture of perfect health and I’m 42. Havent had a problem.

I don't have an apple watch, does apple watch know you are carrying a golf bag or is that 7-900 just the walking it's calculating?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @jut111 said:

> > > > You guys running a marathon or playing golf? If you’re running out of energy during the 4–5 hours it takes to play id look at you’re off course diet and routine as the culprit.

> > > >

> > > well depends if you are walking or riding. I mean walking, I could see running out of energy being an issue especially if carrying your bag too. Walking an entire 18 and carrying bag has to be a ton of calories.

> >

> > Ive been carrying just about every weekend this season. It’s about 7.5 miles and burns around 7-900 calories according to my Apple Watch. I usually play in the morning fasted and eat when I get home.

> >

> > I’m far from the picture of perfect health and I’m 42. Havent had a problem.

> I don't have an apple watch, does apple watch know you are carrying a golf bag or is that 7-900 just the walking it's calculating?

Apple watch knows everything. It knows things Alexa can only imagine.

> @jut111 said:

> It’s a calc off of it measuring your heart rate So kinda. My hr is higher carrying a bag then without. Not perfect but same calc as most readily available consumer products.

oh ok, well at any rate I mean I wouldn't recommend intentionally not eating before walking 9 let alone 18. I mean it can be done but it's more of a why would you want to do that. Alot of people do this who are overweight and go to the gym, they won't eat prior thinking it will help when actually that is the time when you will need/use the calories appropriately.

I know of fasted cardio in morning to help people lose that last bit of fat but normally this just walking/less intense and only last like an hour

For those that don't like to eat but don't mind drinking while on the course, blend up a banana with some orange juice (use as much OJ as required to get the consistency you like) and throw that in the cart cooler or your bag. It needs to stay cold, but it is a great shot of energy and tastes great, too.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Half a pot a coffee, a couple of glazed Krispy Kremes, a few aspirins, and a half pack of cigarettes before the round and I'm good to go..... /JK

Mostly something like a vegetable omelette with some cheese in the morning with some coffee (not a half a pot thought), sometimes I will have a bacon egg and cheese biscuit from Chick-fil-A or Whataburger if I want to treat myself (lots of sodium for the hot days). Either something like a protein bar during the round or maybe peanut butter crackers.... Plenty of water and electrolyte replacements too if its hot and humid.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @jut111 said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @jut111 said:

> > > You guys running a marathon or playing golf? If you’re running out of energy during the 4–5 hours it takes to play id look at you’re off course diet and routine as the culprit.

> > >

> > well depends if you are walking or riding. I mean walking, I could see running out of energy being an issue especially if carrying your bag too. Walking an entire 18 and carrying bag has to be a ton of calories.

>

> Ive been carrying just about every weekend this season. It’s about 7.5 miles and burns around 7-900 calories according to my Apple Watch. I usually play in the morning fasted and eat when I get home.

>

> I’m far from the picture of perfect health and I’m 42. Havent had a problem.

I walk and push a cart every round, unless I'm playing in some charity scramble where nobody walks. Sometimes my rounds are played in 85-95* days along with highish humidity. In addition, my home course is pretty hilly. You're burning close to 1500 calories pushing a cart for 18 holes ([https://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/a-little-scientific-research-for-all-those-19th-hole-debates/](https://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/a-little-scientific-research-for-all-those-19th-hole-debates/ "https://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/a-little-scientific-research-for-all-those-19th-hole-debates/"). I've had rounds where I have probably drank close to or more than a gallon of water and not urinated.

Am I a marathon runner, nowhere near, but I take pretty good care of myself and I am usually in decent shape. So yeah, I usually need some nutrition during those rounds as I have gotten pretty gassed by the end of those rounds if I don't eat something.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Yrrdead said:

> @"b.helts"

> https://soylent.com/collections/all-drinks

> It isn't actually people.

"In a world with a rapidly growing population, and rapidly diminishing resources, we all need access to nutrition that is cost-effective and easy to consume. **We’re pro-GMO, pro-sustainability**, and"

Umm... Yikes. I'll pass.

> @SirFuego said:

> This is a good nutrition book in general, but focuses on golf:

>

> Hole-in-One Nutrition: A guide to fueling better golf https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HZ5ZQDM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A-3pDbBEY44QK

A subjective book written to make a buck and has no original content. Like every study now.

This isn't a hard topic. Eat if you want and make sure it's quality. Don't eat if you don't wanna but, make sure you're not gonna pass out.

My pre-round breakfast is big bowl of blueberries, strawberries and banana with Cheerios and 1% milk

My body also knows that there will be no eating until after the round so I rarely feel hungry or wanting for food. I carry a Cliff bar in the bag just in case but it's just a couple of bites to get me through if I bother opening it. This all works great if I'm teeing off at my usual weekend time of 7:30-8am. My body knows the routine and I always have consistent energy throughout the round. Nothing but water to quench me while I push my cart around the course.

This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

> @jut111 said:

> This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

>

> Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

That’s funny. There is one distinct difference though for modern society. The bison hunting dude’s body was tuned to use fat as its primary energy source, whereas the average modern carb-fueled human is tuned to use sugars first. After that morning bowl of Cap’n Crunch wears off the effects are very real.

> @PorscheFan said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> > The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

> >

> > Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

>

> That’s funny. There is one distinct difference though for modern society. The bison hunting dude’s body was tuned to use fat as its primary energy source, whereas the average modern carb-fueled human is tuned to use sugars first. After that morning bowl of Cap’n Crunch wears off the effects are very real.

Agreed completely. Hence my first post in this thread, your issue isn’t the 4-5 hours on the course it’s what you eat/drink the rest of your life.

> @jut111 said:

> This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

>

> Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

You don’t need oodles of carbs, just enough energy/food which is healthy. Your saying either oodles or carbs or completely fasted, there is an in between obviously. The pros all make sure they have appropriate energy during their rounds, this is healthy. If you want to play your rounds completely fasted for whatever reason, go for it.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> > The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

> >

> > Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

>

> You don’t need oodles of carbs, just enough energy/food which is healthy. Your saying either oodles or carbs or completely fasted, there is an in between obviously. The pros all make sure they have appropriate energy during their rounds, this is healthy. If you want to play your rounds completely fasted for whatever reason, go for it.

>

Not recommending that playing fasted is optimal or anything. Just saying if you’re diet is in check (basically NOT the standard American diet running on sugar) you’d be able to walk and carry a bag without needing to eat during that time.

Personally I play fasted when I play before noon-1, but that has nothing to do with golf. That’s just what I do every day. Golf just fits in with no worries about when I’m going to eat/snack which is basically my point.

> @jut111 said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @jut111 said:

> > > This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> > > The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

> > >

> > > Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

> >

> > You don’t need oodles of carbs, just enough energy/food which is healthy. Your saying either oodles or carbs or completely fasted, there is an in between obviously. The pros all make sure they have appropriate energy during their rounds, this is healthy. If you want to play your rounds completely fasted for whatever reason, go for it.

> >

>

> Not recommending that playing fasted is optimal or anything. Just saying if you’re diet is in check (basically NOT the standard American diet running on sugar) you’d be able to walk and carry a bag without needing to eat during that time.

>

> Personally I play fasted when I play before noon-1, but that has nothing to do with golf. That’s just what I do every day. Golf just fits in with no worries about when I’m going to eat/snack which is basically my point.

A good diet is important however doesn’t really play a factor on if you can walk 18 fasted. If you do that often your body gets use to using muscle and some fat for energy during those rounds and won’t get hungry. Your metabolism will also slow to a crawl which will make you more fat and less muscle long term. If body isn’t use to it doing that then you will get hungry, our body’s adapt very well.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @jut111 said:

> > > > This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> > > > The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

> > > >

> > > > Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

> > >

> > > You don’t need oodles of carbs, just enough energy/food which is healthy. Your saying either oodles or carbs or completely fasted, there is an in between obviously. The pros all make sure they have appropriate energy during their rounds, this is healthy. If you want to play your rounds completely fasted for whatever reason, go for it.

> > >

> >

> > Not recommending that playing fasted is optimal or anything. Just saying if you’re diet is in check (basically NOT the standard American diet running on sugar) you’d be able to walk and carry a bag without needing to eat during that time.

> >

> > Personally I play fasted when I play before noon-1, but that has nothing to do with golf. That’s just what I do every day. Golf just fits in with no worries about when I’m going to eat/snack which is basically my point.

>

> A good diet is important however doesn’t really play a factor on if you can walk 18 fasted. If you do that often your body gets use to using muscle and some fat for energy during those rounds and won’t get hungry. Your metabolism will also slow to a crawl which will make you more fat and less muscle long term. If body isn’t use to it doing that then you will get hungry, our body’s adapt very well.

>

>

I think we’re having two different discussions.

> @jut111 said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @jut111 said:

> > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > @jut111 said:

> > > > > This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> > > > > The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

> > > > >

> > > > > Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

> > > >

> > > > You don’t need oodles of carbs, just enough energy/food which is healthy. Your saying either oodles or carbs or completely fasted, there is an in between obviously. The pros all make sure they have appropriate energy during their rounds, this is healthy. If you want to play your rounds completely fasted for whatever reason, go for it.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Not recommending that playing fasted is optimal or anything. Just saying if you’re diet is in check (basically NOT the standard American diet running on sugar) you’d be able to walk and carry a bag without needing to eat during that time.

> > >

> > > Personally I play fasted when I play before noon-1, but that has nothing to do with golf. That’s just what I do every day. Golf just fits in with no worries about when I’m going to eat/snack which is basically my point.

> >

> > A good diet is important however doesn’t really play a factor on if you can walk 18 fasted. If you do that often your body gets use to using muscle and some fat for energy during those rounds and won’t get hungry. Your metabolism will also slow to a crawl which will make you more fat and less muscle long term. If body isn’t use to it doing that then you will get hungry, our body’s adapt very well.

> >

> >

>

> I think we’re having two different discussions.

not really, your saying you should be able to walk and even carry a bag to play 18 and not get hungry which means you have a good diet which isn't true as I pointed out. What happened in your case is your body has got use to this strain and slowed down it's metabolism for this activity, more than likely burning some muscle and fat as well since this is a 4-5 hour activity that uses a good portion of calories normally. So basically when you eat after your activity in your fasted state, your metabolism will be slowed down and more will get stored as fat.

What you want to do is focus your calories around and during activities when you need it and less calories when not. This will promote good health, more muscle and less fat. Obviously there needs to be a balance and not gorging yourself as well.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @jut111 said:

> > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > @jut111 said:

> > > > > > This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> > > > > > The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

> > > > >

> > > > > You don’t need oodles of carbs, just enough energy/food which is healthy. Your saying either oodles or carbs or completely fasted, there is an in between obviously. The pros all make sure they have appropriate energy during their rounds, this is healthy. If you want to play your rounds completely fasted for whatever reason, go for it.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Not recommending that playing fasted is optimal or anything. Just saying if you’re diet is in check (basically NOT the standard American diet running on sugar) you’d be able to walk and carry a bag without needing to eat during that time.

> > > >

> > > > Personally I play fasted when I play before noon-1, but that has nothing to do with golf. That’s just what I do every day. Golf just fits in with no worries about when I’m going to eat/snack which is basically my point.

> > >

> > > A good diet is important however doesn’t really play a factor on if you can walk 18 fasted. If you do that often your body gets use to using muscle and some fat for energy during those rounds and won’t get hungry. Your metabolism will also slow to a crawl which will make you more fat and less muscle long term. If body isn’t use to it doing that then you will get hungry, our body’s adapt very well.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I think we’re having two different discussions.

>

> not really, your saying you should be able to walk and even carry a bag to play 18 and not get hungry which means you have a good diet which isn't true as I pointed out. What happened in your case is your body has got use to this strain and slowed down it's metabolism for this activity, more than likely burning some muscle and fat as well since this is a 4-5 hour activity that uses a good portion of calories normally. So basically when you eat after your activity in your fasted state, your metabolism will be slowed down and more will get stored as fat.

>

> What you want to do is focus your calories around and during activities when you need it and less calories when not. This will promote good health, more muscle and less fat. Obviously there needs to be a balance and not gorging yourself as well.

>

>

No you're regurgitating what you read in mens health or wherever. I'm telling you that's garbage. I don't expect you to believe that but that's why we're having two different discussions. If you're interested in learning feel free to PM me and I can share some resources. I'm not really interested in going into it further here because it takes an open mind and some willingness to put in some reading and thought to deprogram yourself from the established "truth's"

> @jut111 said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @jut111 said:

> > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > @jut111 said:

> > > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > > @jut111 said:

> > > > > > > This thread cracks me up. Not that I blame anyone here. The mainstream literature on nutrition and performance is so bad it’s a real shame.

> > > > > > > The human body is capable of amazing physical feats on water alone for weeks at a time. But we can’t get around a golf course with a 20 lbs sack on our back for 4-5 hours without shoving oodles of carbs down our gullets? We’d be extinct if that were the case. Pretty sure there was no cliff bars or Gatorade at the turn while we were out on the prairies hunting bison.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Sorry rant over. It’s not at you guys it’s at the society that brainwashed us.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You don’t need oodles of carbs, just enough energy/food which is healthy. Your saying either oodles or carbs or completely fasted, there is an in between obviously. The pros all make sure they have appropriate energy during their rounds, this is healthy. If you want to play your rounds completely fasted for whatever reason, go for it.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Not recommending that playing fasted is optimal or anything. Just saying if you’re diet is in check (basically NOT the standard American diet running on sugar) you’d be able to walk and carry a bag without needing to eat during that time.

> > > > >

> > > > > Personally I play fasted when I play before noon-1, but that has nothing to do with golf. That’s just what I do every day. Golf just fits in with no worries about when I’m going to eat/snack which is basically my point.

> > > >

> > > > A good diet is important however doesn’t really play a factor on if you can walk 18 fasted. If you do that often your body gets use to using muscle and some fat for energy during those rounds and won’t get hungry. Your metabolism will also slow to a crawl which will make you more fat and less muscle long term. If body isn’t use to it doing that then you will get hungry, our body’s adapt very well.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I think we’re having two different discussions.

> >

> > not really, your saying you should be able to walk and even carry a bag to play 18 and not get hungry which means you have a good diet which isn't true as I pointed out. What happened in your case is your body has got use to this strain and slowed down it's metabolism for this activity, more than likely burning some muscle and fat as well since this is a 4-5 hour activity that uses a good portion of calories normally. So basically when you eat after your activity in your fasted state, your metabolism will be slowed down and more will get stored as fat.

> >

> > What you want to do is focus your calories around and during activities when you need it and less calories when not. This will promote good health, more muscle and less fat. Obviously there needs to be a balance and not gorging yourself as well.

> >

> >

> No you're regurgitating what you read in mens health or wherever. I'm telling you that's garbage. I don't expect you to believe that but that's why we're having two different discussions. If you're interested in learning feel free to PM me and I can share some resources. I'm not really interested in going into it further here because it takes an open mind and some willingness to put in some reading and thought to deprogram yourself from the established "truth's"

>

well that's simply not true.. Mens health or wherever promotes these "fad" diets like keto etc.

Usually a fairly healthy lunch, salad or low carb-ish entree and lots of water, coffee in the morning, black.

Once I start to play though, it's usually a few brews. :) I rarely walk any longer so.......

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Ugh, you’re body doesn’t burn muscle. It burns fat, that’s why your body stores fat, for energy. If you constantly eat loads of carbs, your body won’t need to use its fat stores for energy. And that’s how we get a typical overweight American. Unless you are some sort of ultra marathoner, you are probably way overeating on carbs. Most people are shocked when they actually weigh their food and count macros.

> @Oriolesfan138 said:

> Ugh, you’re body doesn’t burn muscle. It burns fat, that’s why your body stores fat, for energy. If you constantly eat loads of carbs, your body won’t need to use its fat stores for energy. And that’s how we get a typical overweight American. Unless you are some sort of ultra marathoner, you are probably way overeating on carbs. Most people are shocked when they actually weigh their food and count macros.

Body won’t burn muscle for energy, first time I’ve heard that one, haha. Of course it will

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @Oriolesfan138 said:

> > Ugh, you’re body doesn’t burn muscle. It burns fat, that’s why your body stores fat, for energy. If you constantly eat loads of carbs, your body won’t need to use its fat stores for energy. And that’s how we get a typical overweight American. Unless you are some sort of ultra marathoner, you are probably way overeating on carbs. Most people are shocked when they actually weigh their food and count macros.

>

> Body won’t burn muscle for energy, first time I’ve heard that one, haha. Of course it will

They for the most part are right. Between fat reserves, stored glycogen, and other residual stored energy, your body has plenty of energy for 4-5 hours of very light exercise. Burning muscle as a fuel source is typically last on the list and requires extended anaerobic activity (which walking the course is not, especially with all the stops)