2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I got it at 45" with a midsize grip on it at D5. I cut it down a 1/4" and put a tour velvet on and it is still D5. I am going to take it down to 44.5", which should take this to around D3. I think that it will make it a bit more user friendly for me.

I took it out on Saturday. Tough conditions to test a driver. 38*, 20mph winds and hard frozen fairways. I hit a few bombs with the wind, and was surprised not one ballon into the wind.

I will give a full review after some better conditions. This does have some right in it, but lately so does my driver swing. I love hitting a cut but I did lose a few right. For me there is a no comparisons to the feeling between the Fti and the cobra. I will not call it solid but it is not as bad for me as the fti.

I trully believe (wiping the koolaid from his chin) that this will with this shaft or another, will be the longest and straightest head I have hit.

Thanks longball for the hook-up. I hope you enjoy the experiment with the ft-i!

Hi,

I have received it but it is not so good for me. I have put a Graffaloy Comp NT X prototype on my Cobra Speed pro D and it is a real BOMB.

Titleist TSR 3 HZARDUS SMOKE BLACK 6.5
Titleist TSR 2 15° HZARDUS SMOKE BLACK 6.5
Callaway Apex UT Modus pro 3 105X black
Titleist 620 MB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S400
Vokey SM6 Tour Issue Raw 50.08 & 54.10 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Vokey SM9 Black Modus 120
Scotty Cameron CircleT Newport

looking for a comparison between the L4v and the HS9. Its probably in here but I can't read 77 pages. I found the HS9x to be the longest club I have ever hit, gamed it last year for a while.

My HS9's are still the clubs I bag.

I've been trying an L4Vx but can't get it to work. It goes straight 200yds then turns right 30yds. My HS9 just pwoer fades every time with the ame swing.I'm on my third shaft now with the L4V. I may be making the jump to an S9-1 as it seems more of an HS9 update.

My L4V X showed up today and it looks promising....I got an Grafalloy Axis 75 TX incoming on wedsday to slam into it. I hope it lives up to the madness.... Thanks Robo

I dont want to look through all the pages but how does one add cotton to the head to quite this thing down?

Brando - Any news on your setup - Curious how its working robo-pheus.gif

Answering PMs now gang - SORRY !!!!

My L4V X showed up today and it looks promising....I got an Grafalloy Axis 75 TX incoming on wedsday to slam into it. I hope it lives up to the madness.... Thanks Robo

I dont want to look through all the pages but how does one add cotton to the head to quite this thing down?

Well My puller broke the day before my Axis showed up. So I have played a couple of rounds with the Stock X in it, and I must stay that its a little weak but not half bad for a strocky. It definitely launches higher than my rapture 7.5 combo...I hit 10/14 FWs both days and averaged 305 or so (but I did have a couple of bad ballooning drives thanks to the shaft) But I will keep you informed once the Axis is installed....I feel it will be a beast

And I will join the league of robo-pheus.gif

Cobra Bio Cell + 661 speeder
Big Bertha 3w Fuji 8.3TS X
Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...
So I got my rombax 7Z08 X installed and it feels great in the L4V. Im not missing any fairways it seems. The only problem is that its playing at 43.5 inches and Im 6'2 so I really think that its robbing me of some distance. I was originally thinking it should be 44.5. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Put an inch or so extension in for sure. Not expensive and this head is very easy to hit. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain. SW at 44.5 will still be reasonable even given the heavy head.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Well My puller broke the day before my Axis showed up. So I have played a couple of rounds with the Stock X in it, and I must stay that its a little weak but not half bad for a strocky. It definitely launches higher than my rapture 7.5 combo...I hit 10/14 FWs both days and averaged 305 or so (but I did have a couple of bad ballooning drives thanks to the shaft) But I will keep you informed once the Axis is installed....I feel it will be a beast

And I will join the league of robo-pheus.gif

Installed today, Axis TX SST Pured w/ Iomic Grip....Will post a full review after a round or two.....robo-pheus.gif

Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

Here it is. My full review. Short and to the point. Let's Go!

L4V x 9* with PM702 stiff at 44.5" and d3.5 sw

Me: avg ss 112. I am a hitter that is turning into a swinger.

Past Driver: 510tp with 757

Let me start by saying that I am going to leave overall legnth out of this post. I realize that my legnth to some is short and to others a dream.

Looks/Feel/Sound: I have never played a Cobra driver and have always been drawn to a more clean top line. Yet this head has grown on me already. It sits square to open to my eye. The drivers face for me is perfect. It truly makes you feel is if you can not miss it. As for the feel, my previous driver was the 510tp the standard of feelin my book. Yet this thing is not just a hollow dead feel. It is a very powerful feeling. The sound is what it is. I told my friend, in all jest, that it just annouces "Player coming through!". I also told him that if this thing cussed at me everytime I hit it, it would still be worth it.

Shaft: PM702 is as advertised. Stout yet still has some feel. I can feel the shaft load, tightly, yet it is still there. This combo has produced a perfect flight for me. Mid to high, flat launch. Even into the wind the flight never changed.

Distance: Again, leaving out overall legnth, I will compare differences between old and new. I truly was someone who believed that I could not hit the ball any further with any of the newer clubs. So there was no reason to look. I decided that this would be the winter that I would try something new, knowing that I could always find my old setup again for cheap. i ended up buying a used fti lcg with xcon 6 in it and kept it for 2 weeks and found someone that had this setup and wanted to trade straight up. Win Win. After reading this thread, and for some reason trusting ROBOTI and his opinion, I knew this is the club I was going after.

The conditions today were a bit of an eye opener. We just had the melting of a big snow, so the fw were soaked. Where you flew the ball, most of the time, is where you ended up. I was finding myself today in some places that i would have been in normal dry conditions on a warm day. I also found myself, in 1 fw, in a place I have never been. I am a believer!

Conclusion: This club is truly one that the hype does not do it justice. I am like a giddy little boy, just waiting on some sun filled weeks, to dry up these conditions and to see what this thing a can realy do. If you are looking for a driver that just inspires you to the belief that you can swing away, this is the one. I am very excited about this year. Thanks for everyone and thier excitement about this club and the honest opinions of what works with this head and does not work. I will be updating this when the conditions change, and only expect increases across the board.

Thanks for reading, and may this thread go on, and on, and on, and on, and on......

Robo,

I liked the l4v, but the 9* was just a little low launching for me. My ss is about 115. I fight a hook, so do you think a new s9-1 pro 10.5 would be a good choice?

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

Anybody know where I can get a stock shaft pull in S-flex from an L4V-F? I actually like the feel and flight characteristics and such of my stock shaft, but I'm getting a good bit more dispersion than I'd like out of the R. Or does anyone have any suggestions for other not-terribly-expensive alternatives that have a similarly soft feel and flight of the stocker but with considerably lower torque? Most of the suggestions here are for lower-launching lower-spin shafts, but I don't need to lower those numbers - mine's just lagging open through impact because this shaft twists so easily. I think I'm the only person to have slice problems with an L4V. But it's not just slice, it's unpredictability in every direction and I'm thinking the noodle is to blame. I don't have this problem with any of my other drivers, and I'm not liking feeling like I'm rolling the dice every time I swing it on which direction it's gonna go :russian_roulette:

Thanks.

Anybody know where I can get a stock shaft pull in S-flex from an L4V-F? I actually like the feel and flight characteristics and such of my stock shaft, but I'm getting a good bit more dispersion than I'd like out of the R. Or does anyone have any suggestions for other not-terribly-expensive alternatives that have a similarly soft feel and flight of the stocker but with considerably lower torque? Most of the suggestions here are for lower-launching lower-spin shafts, but I don't need to lower those numbers - mine's just lagging open through impact because this shaft twists so easily. I think I'm the only person to have slice problems with an L4V. But it's not just slice, it's unpredictability in every direction and I'm thinking the noodle is to blame. I don't have this problem with any of my other drivers, and I'm not liking feeling like I'm rolling the dice every time I swing it on which direction it's gonna go :russian_roulette:

Thanks.

PM Me and I will send you mine free if you pay for shipping!!

For you L4Vx guys. I am going to install a Grafalloy Pro Launch Red in Stiff flex. My swing speed is 110+.

My question is: Should I tip this shaft? How much should I tip this shaft?

Or I have a Accuflex Creation 65 and 80....would one of those work better? What about tipping on these?

Because of the heavier than normal head it seems most tip their shafts about 1/2 inch to get it to play true to flex.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

For you L4Vx guys. I am going to install a Grafalloy Pro Launch Red in Stiff flex. My swing speed is 110+.

My question is: Should I tip this shaft? How much should I tip this shaft?

Or I have a Accuflex Creation 65 and 80....would one of those work better? What about tipping on these?

I would definitely recommend tipping the shaft about 1/2" because of the increased weight of the L4V head. Or may even need a little more because of the speed.

Just snapped my stock shaft in my L4V x 9deg (danaged when removing it last time), Money is a little tight and was looking at putting a Accuflex Creation 65 Stiff in it,

SS 110 +/- 5 last time I checked, Carry the ball around the 290yds

The creation was going very cheap so thought I would give it a try.

Has anyone tried this combo and if so any recommendations on Tipping.

Looking for some quick replies as the shafts turn up tomorrow.

Robo, you helped me out once with this bad boy so am hoping for so more help please.

Ok, I am sure there where a lot of left handers like me that did not want to buy the l4v because it only came in the f series for us!! But let me tell you I followed this post all the way through and I ended up coming to one conclusion, robo, the man the legend, knows what he is talking about, he came from the dark side and told us the truth about so many things. I will not get into that right now because I have never been a big poster on either forum but I have followed what people like robo have said. Put it this way I got a l4v head for 105.00 shipped and just put a 73X whiteboard in it tipped 1" and wow, the best driver I have ever hit. Thanks Robo!!!!

Long time member, but first post! I need a little help please. I have two L4V-F 10 clubs. One with a stock Stiff shaft that has been tipped 1/2" and a new Protopype 60-S not tipped.

With the stocker if I swing nice and easy the ball goes straight, the harder I get on it the farther right it goes - slice. The flight looks ok to a little high and I would assume maybe just a tad too much spin.

With the Pype I tend to hit it to the left - hooks. I would assume the Pype is too much shaft for me as I do not feel it loading. Feels like I must overswing and with this combo I have some distance lost also.

I am looking for something in between these shafts and would like some recomendations. I plan on moving the L4V/Pype and keeping the stocker as it is a very reliable fairway finder but as most, I would like a little more distance if available. Possibly the tipped stocker is the best bet for me. Average distance with the stocker is 245 to 255. My swing speed is right at 98-100 with a medium tempo. Thanks in advance.

Just snapped my stock shaft in my L4V x 9deg (danaged when removing it last time), Money is a little tight and was looking at putting a Accuflex Creation 65 Stiff in it,

SS 110 +/- 5 last time I checked, Carry the ball around the 290yds

The creation was going very cheap so thought I would give it a try.

Has anyone tried this combo and if so any recommendations on Tipping.

Looking for some quick replies as the shafts turn up tomorrow.

Robo, you helped me out once with this bad boy so am hoping for so more help please.

lol :bb: ... pga tour average is around 115 with 270 carry.... come on guy.

So I finally had a chance to get on a LM today.

Here are the results:

LV4 X 9* with Protopype 60S at 45.5"

Club speed 113 mph

Ball Speed 165

LA 13*

Spin 2700 RPM

I was thinking about tipping the the Pype another 3/4" to bring down the launch and spin a touch. Would that do the trick? Or do you have any other recommendations for me

Was tested yesterday 15Feb09 results are as followed:

SS 114MPH with a top of 119MPH and that is slow compared to a lot of other guys on this thread, so CLORAN get your facts straight before posting OK. Tour average may be that but this is what I swing at. So when I drive the second hole at my home course which is 322M, you're saying a little fairy plucks my ball from mid air and carries it a further 50M lol?

So my question still stands for any serious posters with an idea. <.<

Robo are you out their still?

Howdy Brigaide, was hoping to get some advice from those that know and love the L4V the best! I've been gaming my L4V F/9.0 for about a year - Whiteboard 63, stiff, untipped, playing at 45". I LOVE the feel of the Whiteboard but after working with it for a year I've come to the conclusion that this club is still launching too high. I'm not having any problems with finding the fairway (everything is straight or just a tiny baby fade), I just don't think I'm maximizing distance. Swing speed is 96-100 and my latest LM numbers were showing a launch angle of 15.5-17 degrees, 2800-3000 rpms. Ball carries 220-230 and falls out of the sky with very little roll.

So how can I fix this? Do I need to reshaft with something even lower launching (suggestions?). Anything I can do with my existing shaft to tweak the LA a bit? Thanks!

Howdy Brigaide, was hoping to get some advice from those that know and love the L4V the best! I've been gaming my L4V F/9.0 for about a year - Whiteboard 63, stiff, untipped, playing at 45". I LOVE the feel of the Whiteboard but after working with it for a year I've come to the conclusion that this club is still launching too high. I'm not having any problems with finding the fairway (everything is straight or just a tiny baby fade), I just don't think I'm maximizing distance. Swing speed is 96-100 and my latest LM numbers were showing a launch angle of 15.5-17 degrees, 2800-3000 rpms. Ball carries 220-230 and falls out of the sky with very little roll.

So how can I fix this? Do I need to reshaft with something even lower launching (suggestions?). Anything I can do with my existing shaft to tweak the LA a bit? Thanks!

Tip the shaft 1/2 inch. That may help. The L4v's have a heavier than normal head and shallower insertion depth which tends to make shafts play a little weaker than spec. The 1/2 inch you lose in club length shouldn't result in much loss of distance, in fact many seem to feel that this club performs better at slightly shorter lengths.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

My full review after 2 and 1/2 weeks of wet San Diego weather

L4V x 9* with Axis TX 75 (weighs 81G), 45" Iomic grip

My swing: 115-120 SS with a hard fast transaction from the top. Put a good amount of load on the shaft

Old Driver to compare too: Ping Rapture 7.5 w/ Pink Bimatrix X flex tipped

Looks/Feel/Sound: First off my playing partners said that the sound of the L4V was like a Fungo Bat, a thwacking sound. I think its louder than my Rapture, but the rapture is solid shounding and relatively quite. The looks took a little time to get used to. The whole double cut out thing is a little uneasy to look at since I have played classic pear shaped drivers almost my whole life, but I can get use to it beacuse the way it preforms. The issue of feel....Its definitely solid feeling. No real harsh feeling when you miss the screws. The whole face feels solid and really helps those off center hits...

Shaft: The Grafalloy Axis TX (tour X) is one of my all time favorite shafts. It is so smooth and loads perfectly. It just might be the best shaft you have never tried. It really has a nice kick to it due to the softer butt section. But what I love the most is that its a mid luanch spin killer. I have always had issues with crazy spin but this shaft keeps it down to a nice number. Id compare it to a Rombax Z series with smoother feeling.

Distance/accuracy: I am a believer! I have been lucky to find two drivers that work great for me. I hit the L4v maybe 5-7 yards longer than my Ping Rapture. I am guessing this is due to the 2* higher launch angle. I got to play in really windy weather and the L4V creates a penatrating ball flight into the wind and flys outrageously far with the wind at your back. I had two of my longest drives with the wind behind me (375, 405)... On a non windy days I am able to hit it 305-315 with pretty decent roll. As for accuracy it is really point and shoot. I am able to work it a bit, both left and right which is similar to my Rapture. My playing partners says that its too forgiving and long. They both said that they would never bet me again on FW's hit unless they got the same driver... :partytime2:

Conclusion: The L4V is a driver that goes down in my book as one of the best drivers for me of all time. It does live up to the hype here on the boards. Its point and shoot and its long and straight. I have never hit another Cobra that I have liked as much as this. It is fair to say that it will be in my bag for a long time. Thanks Robo for your help and I am a part of the.....

robo-pheus.gif

Finished_KABSOA2.jpg

Apex Pro 2-PW C-Tapper X
Satori wedges
Machine M20
WITB Link

Sorry gang !!!!!!!!!!!

I am alive ... but given that state of the world I have been hiding under my desk .... A rep from the company handling one of my investment accounts showed up at my door and actually billed me for a negative balance :lol:

I am answering PMs and catching up

ROBOPHEUS IN ZA HAAAAUUUUSSSSSSS

vwad.jpg