2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Well i could do NOTHING with the L4V 9' F with stock 57g stiff shaft - all my shots very high and fading. Barely able to hit a stright one even when adjusting stance and grip.

Got fed up with it and swapped it for the same spec but 10' head.

Now if you read far back in this thread there is talk of variability in heads etc, but i cannot believe the 25 balls i just quickly hit at the range with the replacement. No warm up, just the driver from stone cold - i hit long and straight from the start, so much so that after 10 balls i started getting bored and tried to shape it a bit more. Not that successful achieveing a draw but it was downwind so less likely to see the effect. Flight is low/mid and boring - yes you read that right, boring flight from a stock Cobra !!

So not only am i now back to my normal straightness, but i'm achieving a lower flight with a higher club loft and supposedly the same shaft.

Hmmm :wacko:

Whether I got a bad 9' head, or a bad shaft or a badly fitted club (shaft spine in worst position ?) i don't know. All i know is i'm now thinking i need a mid/high launch shaft in this head for optimum distance rather than the low/mid i thought i needed in the old head to sort that one out !! :crazy:

My first port of call will be to pull the stock shaft next week and have it tested and pured - be interesting to see how optimum the fit was from the factory. I may just get the stocker refitted after puring. Alternatively i might drop a VSProto 65g stiff in it (i have this in a 907D2 and it works well for me), or for a higher flight a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65g stiff (always hit this well in lots of different heads)

So all told if you buy out of the rack, try to test the exact club you are intending to buy - if it doesn't work for you try another before you dismiss it.

For me i have a good basis now that with some guidance can only improve with tinkering :D.

Well i could do NOTHING with the L4V 9' F with stock 57g stiff shaft - all my shots very high and fading. Barely able to hit a stright one even when adjusting stance and grip.

Got fed up with it and swapped it for the same spec but 10' head.

Now if you read far back in this thread there is talk of variability in heads etc, but i cannot believe the 25 balls i just quickly hit at the range with the replacement. No warm up, just the driver from stone cold - i hit long and straight from the start, so much so that after 10 balls i started getting bored and tried to shape it a bit more. Not that successful achieveing a draw but it was downwind so less likely to see the effect. Flight is low/mid and boring - yes you read that right, boring flight from a stock Cobra !!

So not only am i now back to my normal straightness, but i'm achieving a lower flight with a higher club loft and supposedly the same shaft.

Hmmm :wacko:

Whether I got a bad 9' head, or a bad shaft or a badly fitted club (shaft spine in worst position ?) i don't know. All i know is i'm now thinking i need a mid/high launch shaft in this head for optimum distance rather than the low/mid i thought i needed in the old head to sort that one out !! :crazy:

My first port of call will be to pull the stock shaft next week and have it tested and pured - be interesting to see how optimum the fit was from the factory. I may just get the stocker refitted after puring. Alternatively i might drop a VSProto 65g stiff in it (i have this in a 907D2 and it works well for me), or for a higher flight a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65g stiff (always hit this well in lots of different heads)

So all told if you buy out of the rack, try to test the exact club you are intending to buy - if it doesn't work for you try another before you dismiss it.

For me i have a good basis now that with some guidance can only improve with tinkering :D.

Works for me

:partytime2:

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

Seeing all of the awesomeness of this thread makes me consider giving up the G5.

Dude, I just got mine today from lefty swap and this driver is unreal. Put it this way the G5 is now in lefty swap. The L4V is consistent long, high, knuckleballs.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ Aldila Rouge White 130 TX

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST LINQ Blue 8F5

Ping iCrossover 2 w/ LINQ White 100F5

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/ C-Taper 130X

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ UST Wedge Proto F5

L.A.B. DF3 Broomstick

Hit my L4V F with XPP6 today. Gonna take it to the course tomorrow or the next day. Good launch with minimal dispersion. And for all of those who say the XPP6 is impossible to hit, think again. Almost wishing I had it tipped. Felt "loose". But, straight trumps all else :partytime2: Interested to find the spin rates compared against the PM 702X. Appears to be substantially LOWER.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Hey all,

Need some help on a shaft for L4vx.

Here is some background:

I had an L4Vx which i really liked with the stock red board in an x flex. The only problem was that I was losing distance in the air, too much spin/balooning.

Now I am playing a Titleist 909D2 which is fine, but I want to get an L4Vx again as a second driver.

My SS is about 105-108, and I am looking for a set up that will not baloon.

Will appreciate any suggestions, I was thinking the Rombax Z, but I would like to find some other options that would be cheaper but still solid.

There's a lot out there: PM702, Protopype 80X, Voodoo. Take your pick but make sure tip it to compensate for the heavier head to give it the right stuffness.

Sidenote: I was at the range and put the new Sumo 2 dymo 8.5 with the NV65-X against my L4V PM702. No comparison, the Cobra was longer, carried more and had better feel while the Sumo had a lower flight but didn't even carry as far. The Sumo was 45.5 while my L4V was 44.5.

I did like the way Nike improved the sound for the Sumo2, much more acceptable with that aluminimum "thunk" out of it. Now, a PM702 in the Sumo 2 could be scary though.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

There's a lot out there: PM702, Protopype 80X, Voodoo. Take your pick but make sure tip it to compensate for the heavier head to give it the right stuffness.

Sidenote: I was at the range and put the new Sumo 2 dymo 8.5 with the NV65-X against my L4V PM702. No comparison, the Cobra was longer, carried more and had better feel while the Sumo had a lower flight but didn't even carry as far. The Sumo was 45.5 while my L4V was 44.5.

I did like the way Nike improved the sound for the Sumo2, much more acceptable with that aluminimum "thunk" out of it. Now, a PM702 in the Sumo 2 could be scary though.

SwingBlues,

If im swinging 105-108 with a quick tempo, which PM702 would work for me. Tip suggestion?

At your speed - 1" inch tip. I'm peak at 105 so I have the 702 stiff untipped and at 44 1/2 as per robo's advice. I would recommend you PM robo and get "da word", he plays with the pype 80X at 44 1/2.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

this is a good stick.

incredibly straight with a good swing.

very anti-left.

high launch, knuckle ball-esque spin.

it doesn't fix a bad swing, but it sure rewards mediocre ones.

i am so glad i have found this driver.

buy one, put the shaft in it that fits your swing, and walk down the middle of the fairway.

props to robo for the great advice on tipping and advice for muting with cotton! you da man.

I'm still loving this driver. Even bought an imix ft5 recently but hit it once and am going to sell it. I've got one with a pype 60x and one with accuflex creation 85x. Both are amazing combos. I prize accuracy FAR above length, but there's plenty of both to keep me from looking for anything new. After all, .830 cor is .830 cor. Get a shaft that gives you reasonable spin #'s and after that it's all about accuracy and confidence. Accuracy and confidence are the two characteristics that help the L4V stand above all others IMO.

What do you think about a GD pershing 65X untipped in my 206 gram L4V X head? I have read the long post on the L4V and was thinking going with the X flex (rather than my usual S flex) to get the tip stiff benefit for this heavy head. My swingspeed tops out at 100 -102 mph.

I am not sure about that set up. I swing 105-108, and Robo recommended a stiff shaft with a 1/2 inch tipped. If you are not swinging over 105 I dont think you would get enough pop from the X flex.

i need your help guys-

i'm from germany and since two month i own a lv4 f 10 degrees and love this stick.

ballflight is very high and from times to times i tend to ballon with it. the shaft feels too whippy for my liking and i think about trying

a lv4 x with 9 degrees. the thing is i don't know where to get them... so if anyone knows places that still sell them new or used please let me know. if anyone ownes one and wants to sell it please pm me. thanks for your help!

i need your help guys-

i'm from germany and since two month i own a lv4 f 10 degrees and love this stick.

ballflight is very high and from times to times i tend to ballon with it. the shaft feels too whippy for my liking and i think about trying

a lv4 x with 9 degrees. the thing is i don't know where to get them... so if anyone knows places that still sell them new or used please let me know. if anyone ownes one and wants to sell it please pm me. thanks for your help!

Not sure it'll help a lot, but the cheapest place i know of in the UK for brand new, still cellophaned, L4V drivers is www.golfdepot.co.uk

Not sure they will export, but always worth an email/call. L4V F and M are £99 each, the X they have marked up at £129 but would probably do you a deal. However, by the tim you factor in shipping and any import duty then it may not be worth your while, even with the current exchange rate in your favour. Ebay is probably your best bet, there will be places selling off stock as ex demo or new.

What do you think about a GD pershing 65X untipped in my 206 gram L4V X head? I have read the long post on the L4V and was thinking going with the X flex (rather than my usual S flex) to get the tip stiff benefit for this heavy head. My swingspeed tops out at 100 -102 mph.

I use this combo just as you described. My swing speed is the same and I have no problems.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

Picked up a 9* L4v F with Creation 65s from right here in the forum. Creation 65s is now available as all I could do is leave it out to the right. Not a slice just everything was right.

The L4v now has a V2 installed. We will see how it stacks up at the range tomorrow. i have not yet taken the plastic off of the S9-1 head so i have options to return if this turns out to be the beast everyone describes in this thread.

What do you guys think;

Preseason swing speed between 90-95 a month ago. It will increase a hair. 7 iron distance about 160 yds, sometimes a little longer but I am far more accurite when I play it to 150-155.

A month ago my launch with the 07 & 09 TM Burners was 10-13 w/about 3400-3800 spin. Again low launch and poor swings that have already improved.

Last season my Fti 10* carry was about 230-240 with little to no roll out w/stiff stock Speeder 586. My Ft3 10* draw carry was more like 235-245 with very good roll.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Works for me

:partytime2:

Lets hope it works for me too... i hit balls pretty well out on the range with both my 907D2/VSProto and the stock L4V at the club fitters range today. However indoors on the flightscope the numbers suggested the L4V was longer (not what i observed outside), but the most interesting was the L4V shaft behaviour - it was all over the place, sometimes kicking twice - yuk. Hence i didn't bother having it tested.

Swapped the shaft out for a spined n aligned ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff - fitter suggesting i needed a heavier shaft, and i know the PLBlue works well for me in other clubs i've tried. Will see how i go at the range tomorrow ! :good:

L4vx is back in my bag thanks to a set up that Robo suggested. I put a Rombax z playing at 44.5 and so far the results are great. It is crazy how straight the ball goes. I was a little worried that my launch will be too low now, but the launch is perfect. Even when I come over the ball, it does not hook just goes to the left side of the fairwary.

Now my 909 D2 seems awkwardly long as far as shaft length even though its only a half inch longer.

Thanks Robo for the great suggestions!

Well I have been trying out the MX700 after getting rid of my L4Vx with mixed results. I just picked up another L4VX and put a blueboard 73 in it playing 44.5. I am taking it out today for a head to head dual against the Rapture V2 with blueboard 63. Has anyone played this shaft and if so what were the results. My previous L4VX had a comp nt shaft in it but I never got consistent results with it. I believe the blueboard is a better fit for my swing as it has been very good in my MP600.

I will post back results after I have had some time to test.

Thanks.

I am thinking about picking up a 12* L4V-M...However, I am afraid that they set up closed at address...I have seen one in person at a local golf store, but I can't remember what it looked like and the golf store no longer has them in stock...Can someone please help me out?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

L4vx is back in my bag thanks to a set up that Robo suggested. I put a Rombax z playing at 44.5 and so far the results are great. It is crazy how straight the ball goes. I was a little worried that my launch will be too low now, but the launch is perfect. Even when I come over the ball, it does not hook just goes to the left side of the fairwary.

Now my 909 D2 seems awkwardly long as far as shaft length even though its only a half inch longer.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

Hey - If it means anything to ya ... Here's my weapon of choice right now - 8* w/ 8Z08 - Its BAGGED !!!!!!!!!!

0410a.jpg

0410ajpg2.jpg

0410ajpg3.jpg

Glad I could help

knightd ... 83X BB

ion1.jpg

I STILL have it ... The smoothest combo I have ... IMO - The best shaft ever made ... Hits high long carry bombs with just the right amount of spin ;)

I am thinking about picking up a 12* L4V-M...However, I am afraid that they set up closed at address...I have seen one in person at a local golf store, but I can't remember what it looked like and the golf store no longer has them in stock...Can someone please help me out?

Anyone?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!

Hey - If it means anything to ya ... Here's my weapon of choice right now - 8* w/ 8Z08 - Its BAGGED !!!!!!!!!!

0410a.jpg

0410ajpg2.jpg

0410ajpg3.jpg

Glad I could help

knightd ... 83X BB

ion1.jpg

I STILL have it ... The smoothest combo I have ... IMO - The best shaft ever made ... Hits high long carry bombs with just the right amount of spin ;)

Thanks for the info.

I will post back results.

Anyone?

I'll see if I can find a pic ... Just curious ... What is your current driver setup - shafts / head etc etc