2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Still looking for an answer to the question, is the 8* going to be offering ??

For now I'll hang fire pulling the trigger on buying one till I know.

There are 8° L4V's out there, but not retail.

What is your current driver?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

Yes, it is. Go to golfsmith.com or some other retailer and go through there custom options.

EDIT: Do you mean on the Pro D? or the L4V?

Cobra 450 SZ or 983E, swinging between the two, not really crazy about either.

Would consider the Pro D but I'm not too keen on the stock speeder, some guys

sound happy with the stock LV4 shaft... is the X in the red board a custom option ?

Yeah it's custom but at no charge. As I said in my earlier post, I like the overall feeling with the stock X RedBoard over that of the PM702X. I have a Pro D with a UST V2 75 X that is now going to collect dust. :)

Extreme ... The 8* does exist - but from what I understand (I could be proven wrong) - It will a be a Tour head.

HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!!!! ... If you are DEF going to pass on the L4 ... FEAR NOT !!!!!!!!!!!

Especially if you like Pro D ... Cuz there are goodies coming ... So if you can chill for a little while .... You will LIKEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously ... Try a 9* L4 with something nasty in it ... I bet ya like it ... Pav is MURDERING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I forgot to post my THIRD set of LM numbers. I think I tend to believe these numbers the most. I was hitting the new TP Red for this session:

SS: 115.2 MPH

Ball Speed: 173.6

Spin: 2557

LA: 15.1°

Carry: 307.5 yards

Total: 335.4

I think that the ball speed and carry make more since than my previous set. The smash factor would be 1.506! That was with 14 balls again.

Extreme ... The 8* does exist - but from what I understand (I could be proven wrong) - It will a be a Tour head.

HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!!!! ... If you are DEF going to pass on the L4 ... FEAR NOT !!!!!!!!!!!

Especially if you like Pro D ... Cuz there are goodies coming ... So if you can chill for a little while .... You will LIKEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously ... Try a 9* L4 with something nasty in it ... I bet ya like it ... Pav is MURDERING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like there's more cobra test drives coming along, what shafts have you got lined up for the mystery heads in question.

Seriously, for one degree I'm not going to hang tight for long, need to get along to a Cobra demo dayVERY SOON.

Hope they bring a LM along :)

Any ideas Robby why the LV4 models are more squared than the older HS9s which apart form the X were scary closed?

Is it the MOI shape straightens out the average golfers natural fade/slice ?

Were you impressed with the stock shaft when you hit it before pulling it (too many posts to sift through :partytime2:

Keep the reviews comin'

camilo has put one straight in the bag and geoff ogilvy has one in the bag alongside his speed pro but i dont know which one he gamed. Poults was testing one in the winter bt seemingly hasn'y taken it into competition yet

Funny story behind that - on why Poulter didn't bag it YET .... A lil birdie told me that during testing .. That he gained so much yardage and the driver was SO straight that he wasn't sure how to get it straight in his head on what to do. He apparently did not anticipate that kind of increase in performance ...

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW :) :partytime2:

Sounds like there's more cobra test drives coming along, what shafts have you got lined up for the mystery heads in question.

Seriously, for one degree I'm not going to hang tight for long, need to get along to a Cobra demo dayVERY SOON.

Any ideas Robby why the LV4 models are more squared than the older HS9s which apart form the X were scary closed?

Were you impressed with the stock shaft when you hit it before pulling it (too many posts to sift through :partytime2:

Keep the reviews comin'

1st thing ... FOR ME .. and probably most higher than normal swingers - The stock shaft was AWEFUL - HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!! I had my first 2 about 2 weeks before they hit the shelves and at that time all that was out was the S flex. Pav said he hit the X stocker and while it wouldn't be his primary choice - he said it was not too bad at all.

I think you are on target as to why they are more square and not closed. With that much headweight located so far back and so dead center - that it squares itself VERY easily - a matter of physics I would say. It is in theory a TRUE LCG MOI driver. I think the reason the higher Ms are closed in just the anticipated slower speed and insuring the head gets to square. But for the "norm" it seems to square up VERY well. I think is a funtion of the MOI principal and why you see the top level pros NOT using them is bcuz of that lack of workability we all hear about bcuz of the drivers built in "go straight" design. I CAN work the ball - but there a reason I sit at a desk for a living and not out on Tour. So I like the go straight factor a lot. :partytime2:

Keep the reviews comin'

1st thing ... FOR ME .. and probably most higher than normal swingers - The stock shaft was AWEFUL - HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!! I had my first 2 about 2 weeks before they hit the shelves and at that time all that was out was the S flex. Pav said he hit the X stocker and while it wouldn't be his primary choice - he said it was not too bad at all.

I think you are on target as to why they are more square and not closed. With that much headweight located so far back and so dead center - that it squares itself VERY easily - a matter of physics I would say. It is in theory a TRUE LCG MOI driver. I think the reason the higher Ms are closed in just the anticipated slower speed and insuring the head gets to square. But for the "norm" it seems to square up VERY well. I think is a funtion of the MOI principal and why you see the top level pros NOT using them is bcuz of that lack of workability we all hear about bcuz of the drivers built in "go straight" design. I CAN work the ball - but there a reason I sit at a desk for a living and not out on Tour. So I like the go straight factor a lot. :partytime2:

Well put. You are right though - you can work the ball with this club. It's not as drastic as my FT-3/FT-5/Hi-Bore XL Tour, but it can be worked in both directions. Does it ever find fairways though - WOW. Ball flight with a VTLTx tipped 1" is still on the high side - but it is in the fairway! I would love to see a lower lofted L4Vx - would fit my game perfectly. Until then - I will be bombing the 9*...

I think you are on target as to why they are more square and not closed. With that much headweight located so far back and so dead center - that it squares itself VERY easily - a matter of physics I would say

Rob,

I´d have to disagree with this. The further back the weight, the further it is from the hosel, the higher the hosel MOI, the harder the club is to square(hence heel weighting in "draw" biased clubs).

I think is a funtion of the MOI principal and why you see the top level pros NOT using them is bcuz of that lack of workability we all hear about bcuz of the drivers built in "go straight" design.

I really don´t think a higher MOI will reduce side spin from center hits at all. But I think the pro´s just don´t like large heads, loud sound, and the back weighting that causes higher MOI also causes higher ball flight etc. They´re very late to change, but I think in a few years they´ll be using high MOI drivers and working it like they did before(just like the blades are getting fewer, hybrids more common etc.)

What´s this teaser you´re mentioning Rob? New Cobra driver coming out? If you know what it is, can you give us some warm or colds... if it´s a new driver from Cobra, my guess is a body made from the same material as the UFI irons face, a scandium magnesium blend, very light weight, solid feel, max MOI.

I love the shape of all the new Cobra drivers. They used to have the hosel further back(Callway do a little of that), along with closed faces, but all the new drivers just sit dead square.

You stopped using the XVS shaft, can you comment more on it? Have you tried the XPP6?

OHHH...you're killin' me here!!! Glad to hear it was only a scratch. Hit 'em long for us suckers stuck in the snow.

Back!

Oh I did...I cannot believe the extra yards that it just forcing me to walk further with this protopype shaft - OH MAN!!!

You guys may be RAWKING the X but this Protopye 60 S is a little beauty...so friggin long today. I AM SO LUVIN DRIVING and the decision to switch was an awesome one...woohooo!

*drinks more kool aid with the grey goose*

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Well, I have read every page in this thread and have learned alot. In fact, this thread is about the only thing that has gotten me through this frigid month. I was so intrigued by this thread that I ordered 2 L4v's, a stock x 9 degree and a stock F 9 degree. I ordered the X at 46" and tipped it 1 inch. I took both to the range and even though there is snow on the ground, both are extremely straight and long. So straight in fact that even my worst swings hardly deviated at all and still carried about as far as my Burner TP. The only difference was that the F was a little easier to turn over and went a little higher. Also, before I tipped the X, both frequencied at only about 245 cpm's, which I was told is about R flex. So, after all that, my question is should I reshaft either of these? My SS is about 100-105. My Burner TP frequencies at 256 and feels great but both L4V's are so straight. Would they be even straighter and longer if I reshaft? Am I missing something if I don't reshaft? The F should be too soft for me based on previous drivers but it feels pretty good. I have a Protopype 60 S and a GD PM 702 S waiting. Do you guys think I should reshaft or wait and play a few rounds when the weather breaks? Either way, Its a blast hitting this club. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention that both L4V's had stock stiff shafts.

"1st thing ... FOR ME .. and probably most higher than normal swingers - The stock shaft was AWEFUL - HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!! I had my first 2 about 2 weeks before they hit the shelves and at that time all that was out was the S flex. Pav said he hit the X stocker and while it wouldn't be his primary choice - he said it was not too bad at all."

I would agree with this. I have launch monitor data for those that have a SS over 115. The X-Flex Redboard will probably not be the shaft for you, it spun a little to much. However, for those of use that have a SS of 105 to 112 are finding the X-Flex RB to be just fine and the spin and launch numbers are very good.

It all depends if your a high spin guy or below average, but I think if your in that SS #'s that I mentioned getting a X-Flex RB is a good start for no cost. The ideal thing is you want to get a shaft that gives you the right numbers without swinging out of your shoes. This could effect other parts of your game. I would agree its hard to do, because this club looks so damn good at address its easy to swing hard at it. I've only hit it at the heated range three times, but I found myself doing that the first few times and now I'm getting a rhythm with it where I don't have do that as much.

I cannot believe the extra yards that it just forcing me to walk further with this protopype shaft - OH MAN!!!

You guys may be RAWKING the X but this Protopye 60 S is a little beauty...so friggin long today. I AM SO LUVIN DRIVING and the decision to switch was an awesome one...woohooo!

I have a Protopype 60 S and a GD PM 702 S waiting. Do you guys think I should reshaft or wait and play a few rounds when the weather breaks? Either way, Its a blast hitting this club. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SwingBlues seems to be enjoying his.

Hey guys,

My L4V X showed up today and I'm pretty pumped about putting it in the bag. It has the stock RB in it, which I already know spins a bit too much. The launch was not too much of a problem.

When I demoed the X with stiff RB my spin was around 3800 and ball speed was about 150. Lauch angle was 13-14*

My SS is right around 104-105.

Can I get a recommendation on a shaft? I'm leaning towards a Whiteboard 63S or a V2, but would really appreciate suggestions. I've seen all of the comments on the PM702 and the Protopype, I'm just what would work best with the numbers that I listed above.

Thanks!

Getting more time in with mine....and really loving it! It's straight as all get out....so when I miss, it's obvious what I did wrong. :)

I am still hitting mine a tad bit higher than I'd like...although a playing partner of mine says it's perfect. I need to really take it out on the course for a good comparison with my old HiBore XL Tour to really see how much longer it is...if it is at all. I have my Whiteboard 63X untipped at 44.75...which does not leave me much room at all to tip the thing.

I may consider trying a Pype in it...and having it tipped, but I really LOVE the way the WB feels, and I'd hate to lose that. Not sure what to do just yet.

Either way...I really love the way this club feels. The ball just jumps off the face and it's straight as all get out. :partytime2:

Now if only I could get my hands on an 8*....

RIDE

This is true. It seems that everyone who has reshafted with the Protopype, regardless if it is S or X, or any weight, seems to love it. Its obviously pretty hard to decide since I haven't played 1 round with the L4V yet, and when the weather breaks I'll be playing/practicing on a regular basis so I should be a little looser. I can always go back, I guess, to the stock shafts if the reshaft doesn't work out. Also, neither of these clubs is anywhere near to being closed at address. Both look pretty open, which just makes me want to swing out of my shoes because I know it won't duck.

I cannot believe the extra yards that it just forcing me to walk further with this protopype shaft - OH MAN!!!

I have a Protopype 60 S and a GD PM 702 S waiting. Do you guys think I should reshaft or wait and play a few rounds when the weather breaks? Either way, Its a blast hitting this club. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SwingBlues seems to be enjoying his.

DAMN RIGHT - Switch NOW! :)

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

This is true. It seems that everyone who has reshafted with the Protopype, regardless if it is S or X, or any weight, seems to love it. Its obviously pretty hard to decide since I haven't played 1 round with the L4V yet, and when the weather breaks I'll be playing/practicing on a regular basis so I should be a little looser. I can always go back, I guess, to the stock shafts if the reshaft doesn't work out. Also, neither of these clubs is anywhere near to being closed at address. Both look pretty open, which just makes me want to swing out of my shoes because I know it won't duck.

Erh...you can duck hook if your swing is fundamentally bad. I was playing a tourny 2 weekends ago and for the life of me in the first 6 holes I was drawing the crap out of the L4V or duck hook. It was an absolute embarassment until I figured out: Rotate the hip FIRST and then it was BOMBING time. Lucky I had my 4 iron to save my Word not allowed while I worked out what I left home, so to speak. At the end of the weekend, the driver back in online, my team finish 5th out of 45.

Not too shabby and we lost by 1 stroke to the 4th place and 2 stroke to the 3rd place, that's about $250 between the spots. Oh well...some money is better than zero heroes.

My highlights..killing my L4V on a par 5s that was a good 80 yards infront of my buddie's Burner, we both smacked the crap out of our clubs. Also, nothing like demoralising our other team twosome with big drives...:)

Man you guys are killing me. Here in IL I've still got another 3-4 weeks before I can go.

I don't know how much longer I can hold out. I either need to buy something or actually play some golf. It's gotten to the point where I've actually been bidding on L4V's now. I missed out on one yesterday with a stiff VS Proto shaft that somebody in this thread ended up getting. Then today I was this close to pulling the trigger on a stock XS.

HELP!

That seems to be the general consensus on the PYPE. I'm in the same boat you are...no golf for probably the better part of 6 weeks yet. Maybe...work with the stockers for a while...you said you already tipped one an 1" correct? Geez...must be nice to have 2 of these beasts. Mess around with 'em for a while. At least you know you've got a winner just sitting there ready to step up to the plate. The PYPE Ain't Hype.

I know I am speaking for everyone here when I say TRY THE L4V!!!!!!!!!! It is definitely more than hype. In response to hooking it, yeah, you're right, if you put a bad swing on it, it will go left or right, but it just seems that it doesn't stray too far and still carries a long way. I just know that this time of year I start hitting balls, mostly at the indoor dome, and if its not too cold, at an outdoor range and I'm usually rusty but after hitting this thing, I feel like its August. Even when I experiment and swing a lot harder than normal. this monster still goes straight and long, and this is with the stock shafts that so many don't like. I wouldn't dare try to overswing with my Burner TP, because I know if I mis-hit it, I won't get very good results. But the L4V, I think someone described it as "stupid easy to hit" and thats the best way to describe it. I can't wait to see Pav hit his at the Pittsburgh Golf Show this weekend. And, if I remember correctly, he too is using the Pype, even though its XX and 80 or 90 grams.

I waited as long as I could... :partytime2:

Just snagged a brand new L4V-X with the stock Redboard X flex off fleabay - should be here in time for my 4 day trip to Bandon Dunes next week. :)

Can you say...boo-ya? :partytime2:

•10.5º: Callaway Epic Speed ♢♢♢ (GD AD-XC) 
•13.5º: TM BRNR Mini Driver (GD AD-TP) 
•20º: Callaway Apex Hybrid (GD AD-DI) 
•4i: Titleist 918 T-MB (Nippon Modus Tour 120) 

•5i - AW: Callaway Apex MB (Nippon Modus Tour 125) 
•56º: Callaway JAWS Forged (Nippon Modus Tour 125) 
•60º: Callaway JAWS Forged (Nippon Modus Tour 125) 
•Putter: SC Phantom X 5.5