2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I think we need to get L4V hats made that say Kool-Aid Brigade on them!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I played at my regular course today,it rained all night last night and I still hit it further than ever. I love this club and the PYPE,it is so easy to hit. I am teeing the ball lower and just crushing it and getting some roll finally. I have been places on the course that I have never been before. I have started looking at replacing my 3wd with a lower loft(maybe a 13*) because this driver is too long for some of the doglegs at my short course. I dont hit my 3wd off the fairway there unless something really weird happens, so I think a lower loft would get it out there just perfect for the shorter par 4's.

Skinny99: Were you getting any roll with the stock offering? I haven't had good enough weather to find out if the stock shaft rolls at all for me. I know a lot of guys here are looking hard at Launch Monitor numbers but I like to see how clubs compare side by side on the course. On a side note, I just bought an Adams RPM Tour 13 degree with stiff NV 75 and so far at the range it is VERY LONG and even has an open face.

Skinny99: That seems to be the general consensus here. I hit both the F and X kind of high, even though I tipped my X 1 inch. Knowing me, I won't be able to wait for the good weather and will reshaft sometime in the very near future, with the Pype 60 S that I mentioned previousy. I wish I could find a Diamana WB for a decent price so I could try all 3 of the most popular shafts in these heads (in the immortal words of one of my good buddies: I have officially f*****g lost it!)

I have been reading a number of posts in this thread and it certainly seems this is one good driver.But so I understand the reacurring senerio put for here is the stock shaft is not that good.It may be if one is lucky,but most posters feel its not for them.So now one pays $399.00 for this great driver ,but half of it(shaft) is no good so one must go and pay a clubmaker (assuming one does no club work themselves) and buy another shaft which I am just guessing is $100-???).Or does Cobra offer shaft options at an upgrade?Again,just for my edification can I assume either way this new wonder driver may cost me ultimately anywhere between $500-$800+)?Just curious to know what I may be getting into.

Damn you all! I just grabbed a L4VX 9* Stiff off ebay. I like the Redboard in my driver now, but we'll seel how this one reax(95-100ss)

BTW, I started reading this thread back in November. Didn't buy one at 3 pages. Didn't buy one at 11 pages. Didn't buy one at 19 pages. Didn't buy one at 26 pages. But at 27 pages, I just had to pull the trigger.

I know I am speaking for everyone here when I say TRY THE L4V!!!!!!!!!! It is definitely more than hype. In response to hooking it, yeah, you're right, if you put a bad swing on it, it will go left or right, but it just seems that it doesn't stray too far and still carries a long way. I just know that this time of year I start hitting balls, mostly at the indoor dome, and if its not too cold, at an outdoor range and I'm usually rusty but after hitting this thing, I feel like its August. Even when I experiment and swing a lot harder than normal. this monster still goes straight and long, and this is with the stock shafts that so many don't like. I wouldn't dare try to overswing with my Burner TP, because I know if I mis-hit it, I won't get very good results. But the L4V, I think someone described it as "stupid easy to hit" and thats the best way to describe it. I can't wait to see Pav hit his at the Pittsburgh Golf Show this weekend. And, if I remember correctly, he too is using the Pype, even though its XX and 80 or 90 grams.

Hey I'll be at the Pittsburgh show too. Last time I saw Pav he had the UST in his.

Where are all of the feedback on the prolaunch red users? I know there were a couple people here who received this clubhead in the prolaunch red shaft. I'm interested in getting this combo so lets here your feedback. Lastly, since the head is on the heavy side and has a shallow install, should a person go with an X flex in the prolaunch red instead of the normally played stiff shaft. considering Cobra does not tip and if a person does not want to go through the hassle of tipping themselve. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you......

Titleist TR3 9* Driver w/ Tour AD DI 6
Titleist TR2 15* Fairway w/ Tour AD DI 7 
Titleist TR3 19* Hybrid w/ Tour AD DI Hybrid 85
Titleist T200 4 Utility w/ Tour AD DI Hybrid 85
Tileist T200 Irons (5-PW) w/ SteelFiber i110CW

Vokey SM10 Nickel finish (48.10F, 54.12D, 58.12D) w/ DG S200
Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5

I know I am speaking for everyone here when I say TRY THE L4V!!!!!!!!!! It is definitely more than hype. In response to hooking it, yeah, you're right, if you put a bad swing on it, it will go left or right, but it just seems that it doesn't stray too far and still carries a long way. I just know that this time of year I start hitting balls, mostly at the indoor dome, and if its not too cold, at an outdoor range and I'm usually rusty but after hitting this thing, I feel like its August. Even when I experiment and swing a lot harder than normal. this monster still goes straight and long, and this is with the stock shafts that so many don't like. I wouldn't dare try to overswing with my Burner TP, because I know if I mis-hit it, I won't get very good results. But the L4V, I think someone described it as "stupid easy to hit" and thats the best way to describe it. I can't wait to see Pav hit his at the Pittsburgh Golf Show this weekend. And, if I remember correctly, he too is using the Pype, even though its XX and 80 or 90 grams.

Hey I'll be at the Pittsburgh show too. Last time I saw Pav he had the UST in his.

He has both :)

I have been reading a number of posts in this thread and it certainly seems this is one good driver.But so I understand the reacurring senerio put for here is the stock shaft is not that good.It may be if one is lucky,but most posters feel its not for them.So now one pays $399.00 for this great driver ,but half of it(shaft) is no good so one must go and pay a clubmaker (assuming one does no club work themselves) and buy another shaft which I am just guessing is $100-???).Or does Cobra offer shaft options at an upgrade?Again,just for my edification can I assume either way this new wonder driver may cost me ultimately anywhere between $500-$800+)?Just curious to know what I may be getting into.

It all depends on your SS. From my experience, and my 98-103 SS, the stock stiff F speed was good, yeah it ballooned now and then but it carried with almost no roll. I found it also depends on how high you tee the ball etc. I paid $399 for the club from Roger Dunn and I wasn't going to trust fleabay.

Now that I got my hands on the Protopype 60 S, this is a much BETTER shaft that I had some spare cash to lay out for. It's longer off the tee and a lower flight = more roll. Now in my post, for me, this was an extra 12 - 18 yards or somewhere around there. Was it worth the extra $125 and the installation cost - you betcha. On my home course, it PAYS to fly over the lakes and trees.

I see no loss in the tightness and dispersion of my pype L4V on my not so good swing (but not totally SH*T) swing. To date this is the longest and most forgiving driver that I have ever hit. MY Geek FS2 is long but it ain't so forgiving...sorry Almo!

If you're 105+ SS, you'll need a stiffer X shaft, judging from all the posts of the big hitters here. Ah, good luck with it...

Ah...another round of golf today in this beautiful, blue bird day with no wind. Time to slap on the sun screen...you guys in the snow should move over to Mexifornia...:)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Any users have exerience with the VS Proto or Pershing? I have played those shafts in other heads but how will it play in this head. Also I have had some success with the YS6 and Diamana Blueboard 63S

I swing smooth at 95 - 100 also ......... please help....I am ready to pull the trigger.

How does the Fujikura SIX play in it or what in the Fujikura line.....

I know this is a lot of questons but someone please push me over the edge so I can do this....excited about the possibilites.

Thanks for the response,good info.Have to ask,what is this pype I keep seeing?

It's the Aldila Protopype http://www.aldila.com/nanotubes.html

The street price is around $125. It's a beautiful looking shaft - goldish looking with a hint of green tinge in there.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

Any users have exerience with the VS Proto or Pershing? I have played those shafts in other heads but how will it play in this head. Also I have had some success with the YS6 and Diamana Blueboard 63S

I swing smooth at 95 - 100 also ......... please help....I am ready to pull the trigger.

How does the Fujikura SIX play in it or what in the Fujikura line.....

I know this is a lot of questons but someone please push me over the edge so I can do this....excited about the possibilites.

Read back from the start - alot of L4V users here with the Pershing and VS Proto reports.

Just purchased a l4v f9. Looking to reshaft to 44in. Based on my ss 95-98, it appears that the pype and pm702 would not suite me. From what I read here, it appears the Pershing would work better for me. To keep the same swing weight, would i need the Pershing 65 or 75.

Also from the Pershing website, it appears that the higher weights are for more advanced players. Does this mean the 75 would be to much for my ss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Blue should be really good in the L4V head. I was going to try that combo if the Blue Board didn't work out so well.

Personally, I think the blue will spin a bit too much. Great shaft tip stiff shaft, but if you want something similar in terms of stoutness and torque go with the Protopype. It feels stout like the blue, but for some reason does not feel nearly as harsh as the blue. Now if you don't want to drop the $125-$150 on the Pype then the Blue will still be great in this head.

Hey guys what do you think about a grafalloy blue X and the L4V 9*X as a combo??? My ss is between 115-120 mph and I launch the ball quite high (about 13 degres ) with my titleist 907 d2 8.5 v2 75 x. Thanx for guiving me your opinion!

I am guessing here, but I think that would be a KILLER combination. I can say with a fair bit of knowledge with the Graf Blue X you might want to tip it 1.5" or so. I had mine tipped that in a Cleveland Comp, which I believe is a deeper bore than the L4V. I was thinking about getting that combo. FWIW, my SS and Launch is quite similar to yours.

God Bless

Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

Get an open L4V X head and stick a WB 73X in it and tip it a half inch. The club will not go left. I can turn it over about 5 yards if needed, but for the most part it just goes straight.

EDIT: What is your SS? Tipping may be more or less. With a Blue Board 63 X in mine at 45" my L4V is D4.

I listed my specs just so you would get an idea.

Get the WB 73 X and tip it a full inch.

I juste don't know what to do.... :)

Ya know what. The Blue is a cheap experiment..$50 bucks or so?...if you don't like it pull it and replace it with something else.

Another shaft that one guy on tour LOVES (Cough* Bubba *Cough) is the Graphalloy Bi-Matrix Proto. Never really had a ton of love, but I would imagine it would help lower launch on this head quite a bit. I don't know about SW with that shaft though since a lot of the weight is in the tip.