2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

Is the craze over? Alot of these are on BST now?

Damn, there are some beauties on there too. The Protopype isn't for everyone that's for sure.

well .. it seems my experience is vastly different to many on here.

MY FATHER bought the L4V - 80 years old and 14 h/c .... he hates it and has already taken it back !

His normal driver is the callaway 460 new Bertha , the Cobra is too noisy and lost him 20 yards. I tried my friends cobra and found it too easy to draw or hook - hated it in fact.

So today I got the new Adams XTD and after one round only, that club seems to be twice the club the Cobra is .. certainly very straight and seems to give consistent distance.

So in truth, I cannot understand the ravings over the L4V .... but I guess each to their own. :)

NO driver will be the perfect fit for EVERYONE. It's been said over and over.

27-28 pages are pure fluff :)

:( :cheesy: - Nice try :cheesy:

Gents ... All of the last few posts are perfectly legitimate ... I have maintained from word one ... This is isn't for everybody & never will be

Dolce ... ABSOLUTELY 100% do I agree with your decision - Cuz it's the right decision for you - NO DOUBTING a man's opinion whatsoever ...... ALL GOOD

As far as the - I tried my grandfather etc .. and I lost 20 etc. I have a tiny story that can put that in perspective with a quickness. I was at the range about 2 weeks ago. I am BANGIN driver that day... A guy walks over (he is a G10 guy - super cool guy) .. anyway .. walks over and asks "is that the new Cobra" ... sure is ... "can I try it" ... NO PROB - I have 976 of em ... HE HATED IT !!!!!!!!!! ... Lost a BUNCH of yardage ... but the reality is .. even though I offered him another one ... He wanted to try the one I had in my hand ... An XX flex 83X Whiteboard at 44 inches ... He couldnt load it if he had to. So be careful about that "hated it" until ya get it right. Kinda like a guy driving a car who's 6'6' with the seat all the way forward ... Just not a good combo for him huh :good:

BUT HEY .... Even if you hate it .. Join in ... NOTHING wrong with some criticism - some might learn .... I have always appreciated intelligents critiques of anything ... I use it as 411

But fluff ..... GO AWAY .... It's like TV .... If you don't like it ... CHANGE THE CHANNEL

I tried the L4v x with stock stiff shaft. Believe it or not I was hooking it, which is what happens to me with drivers whose shaft is too whippy (I know my swing). I would certainly be willing to try another one with a stiffer shaft. I could tell it was a forgiving head but the shaft is a noodle...I am by no means a big swinger (around 105,110 if I step on it). I have since bought a Hibore XL tour with a Aldila VS prototype stiff shaft and it was so much straighter (for me and my swing). The shaft is the key :)

I spun the D2 more than the L4V. The L4V is not, I repeat, is not a high spin head. I hit the D2 with a Blue Board 63 S tipped a half inch and inserted full bore. It spun more than my L4V does.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I'm not convinced with that at all

Well then for you ... The D2 is lower ... and all the posts in the world won't matter ... It's just that simple

Cuz a forum WILL NEVER answer all your questions exactly .... You'll just have to figure it out on your own ... and that's half the fun anyway :)

How much degres was your d2??

Mine was an 8.5* with a diamana whiteboard 83x. I also tried the Tour only Aldila XVS8. It was nice and forgiving but no roll for me unless it was down wind.

From looking at the latest Darrell Survey it would appear that the L4V is THE BOMB on tour as well.

Sarcasm? Isn´t Camillo the only one using it? But does that tell us anything, Cobra doesn´t have a big staff, and they don´t pay non staff players to use their drivers like TaylorMade, do they?

The L4V did not score badly in the Hot List because of spin. The XLS Hibore and the Sumo5900 had higher spin in their ratings(measured from a robot), and they scored much higher in performance. I wonder why?

well guys - i write this w/ sweaty brow and sugary-red stained tongue...wow.

I tracked down a range that would let me try out their l4vf

me: can I try out an l4v?

lady: well, is this like to just try it? or like you might buy it?

me: well, I want to try it but I might buy it... (I don't have the $$ to buy anything right now)

lady: ok, but you can't take it out on the course, you can only hit like 10 balls

me: "ok"

Lucky for me, she didn't say how many times I could hit 10 balls...don't tell her, but I hit about 30

anyway- I stepped up and hit a few w/ my current driver (Adams 10.5* Ovation), all high fades. I'd say when I'm relatively on, I hit maybe 1 straight for 4 right.

She didn't have a demo version, so I got to hit an lv4F 9* stiff red diamana (said "mid/low kick") with the plastic on the head, plus a piece of plastic/tape on top of that. (any physicists care to guess whether that 2 layers of plastic gave me more or less spin off the face?)

shot 1 - tangggg! s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t and just nailed. My eyes aren't so hot at distances like that, so I couldn't tell exactly where it landed in relation to the fence, but wow. At least you should know that I've never had to wonder whether my ball hit or cleared the range fence (at 260 yds).

I never had any problems with a hook at all (I don't have that w/ my current driver either), but I was hitting more like 9 good for every 1 bad, and the bad ones were right but less punishing.

The head shape is kinda funky (obvious), but I mean that it could change alot (open vs closed) depending on how I set it at address. I think it's because the sole of the club isn't flat, it sort of slopes up. Maybe I should work on hovering the club head, I just never have.

Anyway, the short version is I now have a "driver fund" and I'm looking around my place for stuff to sell.

:)

well .. it seems my experience is vastly different to many on here.

MY FATHER bought the L4V - 80 years old and 14 h/c .... he hates it and has already taken it back !

His normal driver is the callaway 460 new Bertha , the Cobra is too noisy and lost him 20 yards. I tried my friends cobra and found it too easy to draw or hook - hated it in fact.

So today I got the new Adams XTD and after one round only, that club seems to be twice the club the Cobra is .. certainly very straight and seems to give consistent distance.

So in truth, I cannot understand the ravings over the L4V .... but I guess each to their own. :)

I love it when a guy comes along and posts something like this. It's so obvious that this poster and most other naysayers have not even read through this entire post. For those of use who have been playing the L4V and also following this thread from day one it is so obvious this poster has not been doing so. If they had been then they would have known that the Stock Shaft is a limp noodle spin machine in the hands of many golfers. Now, that being said the L4V is probably not for most golfers who for the most part don't know how to shaft their own clubs and or evaluate spin characteristics. You don't see to many posts from guys who installed a high launch low spin shaft coming on here and then bash the L4V. imo

After reading through, the L4V is definately at the top of my list... Just a little concerned about what shaft i need..My local pro shop has tightend up a bit about letting people hit clubs..they have had some problems with damage from some people lately...

what are most of your expiernces with the redboard shaft in the L4V X.. Seems very light imo...

I have had the chance to it my L4V X for the last 3 days. It has the stcok Redboard in stiff for now, but unlike the majority of guys on here, I don't think the shaft is a limp noodle. It feels pretty whippy but the results do not reflect that for me.

My SS is around 104 or so and my miss with this thing is a fade, not a hook, which would be a more common miss for me. I don't think I have an overly smooth transition at all. I have played a Speeder 757 and a Whiteboard and had no problems handling either of those.

I have not been on a launch monitor with this thing yet, but the stock shaft seems ok. It may be spinning too much, but other than that the performance has been accpetable. It doesn't seem to balloon for me and the launch angle doesn't seem outragrous.

I have not seen any advantage in distance yet, but it is extremely forgiving.

Am I leaving yards on the table? Any suggestions on what to try? Since my experience with the stocker has bene different than most, I'm a little concerned that a Protopype or Whiteboard might kill it.....

I have had the chance to it my L4V X for the last 3 days. It has the stcok Redboard in stiff for now, but unlike the majority of guys on here, I don't think the shaft is a limp noodle. It feels pretty whippy but the results do not reflect that for me.

My SS is around 104 or so and my miss with this thing is a fade, not a hook, which would be a more common miss for me. I don't think I have an overly smooth transition at all. I have played a Speeder 757 and a Whiteboard and had no problems handling either of those.

I have not been on a launch monitor with this thing yet, but the stock shaft seems ok. It may be spinning too much, but other than that the performance has been accpetable. It doesn't seem to balloon for me and the launch angle doesn't seem outragrous.

I have not seen any advantage in distance yet, but it is extremely forgiving.

Am I leaving yards on the table? Any suggestions on what to try? Since my experience with the stocker has bene different than most, I'm a little concerned that a Protopype or Whiteboard might kill it.....

Did you notice roll? If you can't go on a launch monitor you should try to play at least a round with it as it is with your ball of choice. Most likely you won't get any roll and you'll know whether you have too much spin. If so and you like the trajectory try something mid spin and launch. Too many people are going by what guys with over 115 mph swings play and it's just not working for them and their blaming it on the head instead of the shaft choice. Some of us already know what kind of shaft is best for our game either because we've played with them enough on the course or done enough LM sessions to know and believe me we've gone through every shaft there is to know what we like. Some people are going to get it right the first time and some won't. You're right, the Pype, WB etc. isn't a choice for you if a stock is 80% there but find out what the starting point is and go from there, ie, the amount of spin you get from the stock stiff then go about reducing it. Some nice mid launch shafts are the Proforce V2, Accuflex Evolution, VS Proto.

sorry if I didnt join this topic from the very first day and sit my sorry a** down and read 32 pages of writings!!

I read some of it and it was obviously an L4V appreciation society has been formed ....if you read what I said 'a different experience to most on here' - and most love the club.

You are correct that I dont have the ability to reshaft and my knowledge of spin rates and launch angles etc is fairly limited, - maybe the L4V is a good club for hard hitting, big swinging players - but for me and my Dad.. it sucks.

Are you sure the L4V produce less spin than the d2, ???????????????

Does anything NOT spin less than the D2? Heck, i got less spin out of the stock noodle shaft on the L4V than i did out of the D2 with VS Proto. The D2 spins like a top for me.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Are you sure the L4V produce less spin than the d2, ???????????????

Does anything NOT spin less than the D2? Heck, i got less spin out of the stock noodle shaft on the L4V than i did out of the D2 with VS Proto. The D2 spins like a top for me.

Gotta agree with that, I LOVE the look, and feel, of Titleist drivers but I balloon the hell outta that driver, even when I tried one with a Matrix F7M2 LTD...still ballooned...

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6-X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7-X
Titleist TSR2 18* w/ Fuji Ventus Red 8-X
Titleist T200 4i w/ UST Recoil Dart 105-X
Titleist T100 2023 5-PW w/ Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120 X 
Scotty Cameron Circle T R&D Concept 1 Newport
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50F/54S/60T w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Well I hit the L4V for the first time this past weekend. I hit the X first at 9 degrees with a stiff flex. I could not hit this club straight. I would hit fades shot after shot after shot. I've read the past post on this threads saying that you must not fear on releasing the club through impact, so i tried, but I was getting a nice fade on every shot. So I went and hit the F instead and bang, hit all of my drives straight down the middle with a baby draw on some of the drives. I hit the 9 degrees with the stock shaft and I must agree with the majority of the group here that a shaft change will be needed. However, with my swing characteristics, I don't think I'll go with the Pype or Whiteboard route since I don't think I have the swing speed for these shafts and head combos, but I was very impressed with the driver. Not so impressed with the distance, but just how consistant the driver was. Well after my session with the F, I saw the rep had the new 2008 Speed LD F drivers. So I grabbed a 9.5 with stock stiff flex and proceed to bomb away. Wow, this club was just as consistant as the L4V. The head felt a little lighter and the face was definitly more closed than the L4V. It also had more of a titanium feel, less solid than the L4V, but I kind of like this head. Now I'm debating between the 2 heads. I think if I go the L4V route, I will go for a prolaunch red or Accra SC shaft. If I go the LD F head, I will go for the Whiteboard 73 since Cobra offers that shaft now. Wow, what that was a good day. I think I found my potential gamer for this season. Thanks to all for this thread.

Titleist TR3 9* Driver w/ Tour AD DI 6
Titleist TR2 15* Fairway w/ Tour AD DI 7 
Titleist TR3 19* Hybrid w/ Tour AD DI Hybrid 85
Titleist T200 4 Utility w/ Tour AD DI Hybrid 85
Tileist T200 Irons (5-PW) w/ SteelFiber i110CW

Vokey SM10 Nickel finish (48.10F, 54.12D, 58.12D) w/ DG S200
Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5