2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

i'm not going to say anything more today with my l4v otherwise sawmillphil will come after me. bomb ;)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

i'm not going to say anything more today with my l4v otherwise sawmillphil will come after me. bomb ;)

LOL...SwingBlues...No worries man!! My course opens on the 12th. There are a few courses opening this weekend, and as luck would have it...I'm working. sterb005.gifWeather looks good for Tuesday...so I'll be teeing it up somewhere for sure. OMG...it's about time. Feedback coming shortly from the GWN.

LaTeR...pHiL.

Look forward to your report, 'BOUT TIME man!!!! Take care and rip one for me ;)

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

Here is my L4v

44.5" d3.5 Kamo X 660 TR Speeder

Have not got a chance to hit it but i will report later..

anyone else try this combo?

A.J.

I did, I put the Kamo in my second about two months ago. I like it alot at first, but I went back to the VTLT after about two weeks. I think it was just the newness and fact I liked the way the shaft looked. It is probably due to the headweight being so high, but it didnt feel as stable to me as the VTLT, and stability always wins out over looks.

It is gonna be next to impossible to knock that combo out of my bag. Yes...it is still in there, and yes...things at work are getting back to normal, so my time for golf should be dramatically increasing again VERY VERY soon.

A throwback photo

Brian

I have decided to drink the Kool Aid. After reading over 1500 posts, I could no longer hold out. I have a question regarding shafts. I used to play a NV-65 (stiff) in my old G2. After reading about people's experience with the stock shaft, I went ahead and purchased a PM702 (stiff). The question I have, is what kind of trajectory can I expect from the PM702? Is is similar to the NV-65? My SS is between 105-110 and with the NV-65 I would consider my trajecory as Mid.

Cheers

For me it depends on the ball I hit. Range balls go really high but the trajectory on the course is low to mid with my PM702X tipped an inch. I'm a very high ball hitter with a lot of spin with most drivers but I don't have that problem with my current set up. Normal tipping for a driver is 1" on the PM so keep that in mind then go from there. You may want to tip a little more because of the extra weight in these driver heads since you're using a stiff flex.

I have decided to drink the Kool Aid. After reading over 1500 posts, I could no longer hold out. I have a question regarding shafts. I used to play a NV-65 (stiff) in my old G2. After reading about people's experience with the stock shaft, I went ahead and purchased a PM702 (stiff). The question I have, is what kind of trajectory can I expect from the PM702? Is is similar to the NV-65? My SS is between 105-110 and with the NV-65 I would consider my trajecory as Mid.

Cheers

For me it depends on the ball I hit. Range balls go really high but the trajectory on the course is low to mid with my PM702X tipped an inch. I'm a very high ball hitter with a lot of spin with most drivers but I don't have that problem with my current set up. Normal tipping for a driver is 1" on the PM so keep that in mind then go from there. You may want to tip a little more because of the extra weight in these driver heads since you're using a stiff flex.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Appreciate the feedback.

I have mine tipped 1" and 44.5" long. Normal SS is 2 less than you with no problems. Even when I go all out this combo it will not produce a duck hook. This is the reason why it kicked the FT-5 out of my bag.

Well, I had mine on the course yesterday. It was my first round in 5 weeks and my swing was terrible. Over the top more than I like and I probably only hit 1 solid drive out of 10 times I used the driver. I played with 2 friends. One is about the same length I am and the other is longer. The amazing thing was even though my swing wasn't even 50% of what I will expect on a good day, I was consistantly even with my partners. I still do not have a good gage on how good this club can be but this gives me hope. I will say the trajectory was a bit lower and the fade was a bit more pronounced than on the range but I chalk that up to my swing and the weather. I still might tinker with shafts. What is everyone's opinion on the V2 HMOI?

Had mine reshafted with a rombax z 7x. Only played 9 holes with it but the ballflight was flat with low spin. Looking forward to more testing.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

Well, I had mine on the course yesterday. It was my first round in 5 weeks and my swing was terrible. Over the top more than I like and I probably only hit 1 solid drive out of 10 times I used the driver. I played with 2 friends. One is about the same length I am and the other is longer. The amazing thing was even though my swing wasn't even 50% of what I will expect on a good day, I was consistantly even with my partners. I still do not have a good gage on how good this club can be but this gives me hope. I will say the trajectory was a bit lower and the fade was a bit more pronounced than on the range but I chalk that up to my swing and the weather. I still might tinker with shafts. What is everyone's opinion on the V2 HMOI?

someone may be drinking the Kool-aid pretty soon... ;)

In regards to the v2 hmoi, don't think too many people are using it, most of us are looking for a more flatter trajectory which is why we go pype or pm702. if there is someone who put in a v2 hmoi, they will post...

well, I'm drunk...on kool-aid! After lurking for quite a while in here, I came into some $ recently and my wife goes this morning "do you want to get a new driver today?" ;) (of course she's got her eyes on some crazy ungodly expensive jeans, but whatever- I'm lucky).

Anyway, I've currently, er, formerly got an Adams Ovation 10.5, stiff. I knew the L4v was at least in the top few because I wanted to give the 5900 and fti a fair shot.

After hitting several with my current driver, I was at ss 105 up to like 110, bs 150-160, but carry + roll = 275 when I nailed it, and many were offline by alot.

Suffice to say nike & callaway just couldn't get it done for me, and were shorter and not as straight.

I thought the F would be the one for me because I've been fighting a slice, but I got things pretty straight in the cage, and tried the X. The X cannabalized the F, ate the nike's lunch, pimp-slapped the ft-i, and just plain made my adams cry. I did not even think I would ever hit 290, but w/ the X I did. I'll believe it more when I get a bushnell 1500, but I'll take it for now.

got the stock stiff shaft, feels like I'm hitting it a mile high on the range even though my contact marks are in the middle of the face, LM numbers were about 14* and the tee height is not that high (1/2 over crown).

I took it to the range and hit a large bucket almost entirely with my l4vx, and I think I gave myself a headache! haha.

Cobra, thank you for the awesome driver, but the head cover probably outweighs the club, wth?

If you're in the L.A. area, pm me and I've got a recommendation of where to go for an awesome fitting experience - over 1 hour session, no problem! The best part is I got a great price because it was a demo club, but in pristine condition.

Picture caption: It's right behind you!!!!

Gents .... I have had one for a few weeks - and since they were sent out this am I can now post about it - promise I made

I know there are purist out there who will like a smaller looking more "workable / traditional" players head

But if you have an open mind or just flat want the easiest to hit / LOONNGGEESSTT driver you can imagine - BUY ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the L4V X - 9* with a Aldila XVS80X - It's TRULY rediculous - Carries for miles - and just wants to go straight - I can get the ball to move - but with the length it has - I just go over everything - who cares about curving it ;)

I know I haven't posted here much but gotta start somewhere

It's big / loud - BUT IT DELIVERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

To you Cobra guys - It's UTOPIA !!!!!!!!!!!!

I too love mine, however, I have a UST Proforce V2 66g S flec Cut 1 inch. I bomb it thats for sure. But I need to throw a Xflex 73gram White or Blue board in there. Or maye a S flex and Tip cut it 1 inch and play it 44 3/4

played again today (second round) and once again really enjoyed hitting this club. The accuracy is unmatched with any driver I have ever hit. It truly is a point and shoot driver. I have the protopype 60 X in it and after playing twice with it I really think I am launching it too low. It is really nice boring trajectory, however I don't think I am maxing out the carry. Has anyone tried a higher lauching shaft with good dispersion? If so what options would I have without sacrificing the accuracy?

played again today (second round) and once again really enjoyed hitting this club. The accuracy is unmatched with any driver I have ever hit. It truly is a point and shoot driver. I have the protopype 60 X in it and after playing twice with it I really think I am launching it too low. It is really nice boring trajectory, however I don't think I am maxing out the carry. Has anyone tried a higher lauching shaft with good dispersion? If so what options would I have without sacrificing the accuracy?

I'd give the nod to the Diamana Blue. Very accurate with a higher ball flight. A few people have posted about this set up.

As far as the heavy head cover someone mentioned, it definitely is heavy but good for when you want to warm up fast on the first tee. Just swing it with the head cover on a few times and you're ready to go!

I don't use the L4V headcover at all...but I do use my Cleveland 460 cover instead...so everyone thinks I am hitting a Cleveland...

Gents .... I have had one for a few weeks - and since they were sent out this am I can now post about it - promise I made

I know there are purist out there who will like a smaller looking more "workable / traditional" players head

But if you have an open mind or just flat want the easiest to hit / LOONNGGEESSTT driver you can imagine - BUY ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the L4V X - 9* with a Aldila XVS80X - It's TRULY rediculous - Carries for miles - and just wants to go straight - I can get the ball to move - but with the length it has - I just go over everything - who cares about curving it :good:

I know I haven't posted here much but gotta start somewhere

It's big / loud - BUT IT DELIVERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

To you Cobra guys - It's UTOPIA !!!!!!!!!!!!

I must admit ive done the same thing as you, I picked mine up today here in OZ ..... after doing some research on the Launch Monitor at a golf shop for 2hours and hitting dozens of balls , My Distance Average was 319 Yards , launch angle was 13-14 degree's and the Spin was 2650 RPM my ball flight was a low to mid trajectory as well, given that i went with the 10 degree loft , and thats a stock Club with the Diamana Redboard. My usual driver is a J33 460 9.5 Deg with V2 UST 76Gram shaft.

I will see how the shaft is , and work out a potentiol replacement shaft but if its as good on course as what the launch monitor proved then i will leave it be. although i would like too try it with a UST V2 .....

Cheers

The difference in clubs is amazing me, so i will get out on the Green stuff this week , im really looking forward to hitting it on the course.

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

Nice pics. That is the F and it doesn't look too closed. In fact it might be sqaure!

I was told that the F is actually Square , could be wrong but thats what i was told when i got fitted up :good:

Nice pics. That is the F and it doesn't look too closed. In fact it might be sqaure!

I was told that the F is actually Square , could be wrong but thats what i was told when i got fitted up :good:

The cobra website says, the X is square and the F is 2° closed.

Thanks bastey

Read that myself, i dare say 2 deg over a 280 yard drive aint that much of a difference.

OK, update after 4 rounds with my L4V X, Protopype 70X @ 44.5". The Bridgestone, safe to say, is bye bye. I have missed 7 fairways in my last 4 rounds. I can cut it, after working with it a bit, I can now draw it too. I can hit it high with ease, and I can hit the low "stinger". Despite its size, it's a very workable driver, and it is LONGGGGG! Yesterday, on a par 4 that normally leaves me with about 120-130 yards into the green, I had about 75 yards. Now this is not normal, but I have seen a consistent 10-12 yard gain with this club. When I nuke one, the difference between this one and the Bridgestone is ridiculous! I love the fact that I have picked up a few yards with this driver, but what I love more is the fact that now, even on holes where I would hit an iron to make sure I found the fairway, I now have no fear of yanking the cover off this thing and swinging it on any hole. And to make it even better, I don't have to put a "control" swing on it, I can rip at it as hard as I want to, and don't have to worry about any really crazy drives. Even coming out of my shoes, the ball is only going to stray a little bit. This thing is absolutely SICK!

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD