2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

I'm hearing that if you send it in to a club tech who knows his stuff . He can stuff cotton balls in the head and turn it into a bigger monster . Is this true ? The Titleist/Cobra rep here in Montreal confirmed the 1 degree closed on the F head .

All that would accomplish would be to deaden the sound, and would likely make the head slightly heavier. These are already a very heavy head, so I doubt you'd want to add even more weight to it. You'd have to play it at a very short length or backweight the shaft to get it to swingweight somewhat normally. If that isn't a problem, some rat glue in the head would probably be the way to go to deaden the sound. This thing IS very loud.

Guys I just do not understand how you can cope with the sound. Everytime I see someone on the course with one of these things or the nike square headed job I just think to myself what a moron. No matter how good they are. It is DEAFININGLY loud. I would much prefer to give up the 10 yards and save my ears as well as everyone within a mile radius of me. There is a reason you do not see or I should say hear any pros drivers sound like this. They would be laughed off the course.

Honestly, it's loud but it's not gonna make you go deaf or anything. The first time I hit it was at a covered range. Now you wanna talk loud, that is loud. Out on the course in the open it's not that bad. I hear it but it's not like I cringe everytime I hit driver.

Dear Diary,

It's been 600 posts and 80,000 viewings since I last posted on this thread. I just got back my L4V F 10deg from the shop early last week. I had my whiteboard 63-S pured and wow, wowsa, wow-wow-woowie. It went from distance envy on the range :good: to "I've never hit it past that fairway bunker before." and "Do you mind if I try that?". There were other things said by my playing partners that I can't repeat here. I played Friday and Sunday and hit a combined 84% (21/25) of the fairways with a couple of bombs past 300 (measured with GPS).

I am not sure if I am finally hitting my groove with my swing or that the puring made the difference. Before I had my shaft pured I had a tendency to push about 25% of range shots and I really had to lay into it to make it go straight. Now, after the puring I can take the same easy swing that I do with my Superquad and get longer and straighter results.

Edit: My F 10 deg sits square to a 1/2 deg open.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Has anybody seen a 12* with an open or even a square face on it? I have been searching for one for my father. He hits low hooks, and I think an open 12* would do the trick.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

I'm hearing that if you send it in to a club tech who knows his stuff . He can stuff cotton balls in the head and turn it into a bigger monster . Is this true ? The Titleist/Cobra rep here in Montreal confirmed the 1 degree closed on the F head .

All that would accomplish would be to deaden the sound, and would likely make the head slightly heavier. These are already a very heavy head, so I doubt you'd want to add even more weight to it. You'd have to play it at a very short length or backweight the shaft to get it to swingweight somewhat normally. If that isn't a problem, some rat glue in the head would probably be the way to go to deaden the sound. This thing IS very loud.

Guys I just do not understand how you can cope with the sound. Everytime I see someone on the course with one of these things or the nike square headed job I just think to myself what a moron. No matter how good they are. It is DEAFININGLY loud. I would much prefer to give up the 10 yards and save my ears as well as everyone within a mile radius of me. There is a reason you do not see or I should say hear any pros drivers sound like this. They would be laughed off the course.

I know what you mean. Everytime I bomb it 30 yards past a buddy of mine (that I was comparable with last year), I think to myself: "man, I'm a moron for buying this driver. If only I wasn't smart enough to buy a TP Burner like he did and so that I could go at this par-5 with a 3W instead of a 6-iron."

I know what you mean. Everytime I bomb it 30 yards past a buddy of mine (that I was comparable with last year), I think to myself: "man, I'm a moron for buying this driver. If only I wasn't smart enough to buy a TP Burner like he did and so that I could go at this par-5 with a 3W instead of a 6-iron."

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

That's what I AM TALKIN ABOUT gandalf.gif

arbitrage - AWESOME to hear .... It just works ... plain and simple .... and apparently a LOT of people agree :good:

Great post guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't Camilo play a L4V X?

Edit: Yes he does

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

Agreed. The sound was too much for me as well but you can keep those yards and add cotton to muffle it. This has been very effective for me.

If that's the case, go ahead and call me a moron. I have gotten used to the sound. While it might be a little loud and offputting, if you can somehow just FORCE yourself to see the results with your eyes, rather than your ears, you might understand. Then again, I also tend to be judgemental about other players based on things I hear. For example, when I hear somebody say, "what a moron for hitting a driver that makes so much noise!" I think, "Man, anyone who could ignore these kinds of results just because it sounds a little funny must really be a moron!"

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

Camillo does in fact play the L4V but it's substantially quieter than the stock models. Hearing him hit his is actually what got me to thinking I could tone mine down.

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

He is actually hitting the 9* - He needed more spin - the *8 was too low :good:

MY GOODNESS!!! This is a terrible tragedy!! You really need to be hitting 3 wood into those par 5's....because thats how you score well....not by hitting 6 iron..... :good:

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6-X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7-X
Titleist TSR2 18* w/ Fuji Ventus Red 8-X
Titleist T200 4i w/ UST Recoil Dart 105-X
Titleist T100 2023 5-PW w/ Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120 X 
Scotty Cameron Circle T R&D Concept 1 Newport
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50F/54S/60T w/ DG Tour Issue S400

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

Camillo does in fact play the L4V but it's substantially quieter than the stock models. Hearing him hit his is actually what got me to thinking I could tone mine down.

His driver is REALLY quiet! I was standing on the tee box with him on 12 of Torrey South, and the sound was unlike anything I have heard...it sounded....well GREAT to be honest. I believe that he has the face hot melted but I could be wrong...ROB, do you know what technique he used to get that sound?

I am not sure ...

HAVING SAID THAT ... I do have one thing on the noise factor - which I don't mind one bit .....

I am about 99.9999999% sure I have tried more L4s combos than anyone EXCEPT Cobra itself. I noticed something a few weeks back and confirmed it with another combo. I have notice that different shafts GREATLY have an affect of the sound. I have the 2 heavy driver I have posted about - Diamana 103X and Fuji HK-110 - The 103x was noticably quieter. I never thought much about it - but ....

I recently built and posted about the ION BB 83X i built - It is QUIET !!!!!!!!!!! - I mean like a tiny tiny "doink" and then GONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's wierd - I hit side by side against a 68X Epic & TP-7X and it is NIGHT & DAY !!!!!!!!! ... I don;t know why - but it is QUIET compared to my others near the same weight

I could be absolutely crazy though - who knows :good:

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

His driver is REALLY quiet! I was standing on the tee box with him on 12 of Torrey South, and the sound was unlike anything I have heard...it sounded....well GREAT to be honest. I believe that he has the face hot melted but I could be wrong...ROB, do you know what technique he used to get that sound?

I would also like to know exactly what he has going on there.

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

Well... i would love to know. Would buy the driver asap if i knew it was possible to mute it.

Doesn´t anyone here know the Cobra guys who are responsible for Villegas´clubs ?

L4V specs:

L4V 8 degree

Matrix TP-7 XX 44″ D3

TV58 rib 2+1 in right

Well... i would love to know. Would buy the driver asap if i knew it was possible to mute it.

Doesn´t anyone here know the Cobra guys who are responsible for Villegas´clubs ?

I wonder if they used one of the sound dampening plugs from the 905R in his driver.

overrated

Very illuminating. Thanks for participating. :good:

Seriously....you know what, your argument is SO compelling that I'm canceling my order RIGHT NOW!

To all the sound haters out there....if the sound really bothers you that much, we understand.

Just do not be surprised when we consistently blow our drives by your "nuked tee shot" with an almost no effort swing with our "unbelievably loud driver".

Case in point, played today with two older gentleman. I played the shorter 9 today, so didn't hit driver until the 4th hole. I hit a normal drive, nothing special, and the both laughed about how "loud" and "terrible sounding" it was. Three shots later, when they finally got up to where my ball was, I asked if they would play something that sounded so terrible if they could have what I had left into the par 4 (had 98 in on a 410 yard hole). Both of them, without hesitation, said yes....complete with colorful metaphors as well.

The Kool-Aid brigade understands your concern about it being "noisy". We do. But until you start bombing up there with us....something tells me the whole "noise" issue is not gonna affect us one bit :good: And it is personal perference and take to each person, but I do not think the L4V is loud at all, especially compared to the Sumo and the FTi. Other opinions may differ, but I' even put up with the sound of those if they performed. But...they don't. So I will continue sipping on my Kool-Aid for quite some time!

Brian

I presume I should have expected this response. There are so many things to respond to here I guess I will just pick my favorites.

1) The driver is long. I have hit it. However it is tough to work and like I said I cannot and will not get over the sound. Its a deal breaker for me. If I could get it muted I would buy one.

2) I have no desire to buy a driver that I need to put a 200 dollar shaft in and spend another 100 dollars to mute it. That becomes a pricey little toy.

3) If you gain 30 yards with this club then the stick you were hitting before either did not fit you, was an outdated model or a combination of both. You cannot achieve 30 yards by just switching clubs unless the previous stick was a poor fit. It is impossible. You truely are drinking the kool-aid.

4) I am aware Camillo plays it. If you took the time to read my post i said I cannot imagine a pro playing a driver that SOUNDS like that. His does not sound ANYTHING like the ones you guys are killing peoples ears with.

Theres a reason for that however. And it is not just the sound. The sound takes away from the sensation of a shot. As a golfer who plays in competition I like to hear and feel solid shots. Instead of hearing an NCAA baseball tournament when I tee off I prefer a solid thump. Much like each and every single professional does since ALL of these guys are doing something to mute these heads.

If it works for you...great. That is what golf is all about but give yourself some credit its you hitting the ball 30 yards further...not the club. You also may want to look up "placebo effect" I hear it's about 50 percent typically.

Give me a reasonble cost to mute one and I will put it up against my 905R and see which wins. With a ball speed of 177 and a swing speed of 125 it will be interesting to see if it can knock out my gamer.

With all the positive reviews I am sure it is possible.

Long live the kool-aid hopefully I can get a cup without the noise.

Cheers.