New World Handicaps 2020

Augustok

> @Halebopp said:

> > @Augster said:

> >

> >

> > > @Halebopp said:

> >

> > > I do find it weird they haven't made all the mathematics public information yet. Certainly all of those issues should've been set in stone at least a year ago to allow time for the software companies to create the new systems.

> >

> >

> > They have made the math available.

> >

> > https://www.whs.com/articles/2019/basis-of-handicap-calculation.html

> >

> > 8/20. Auto reduction for a differential 7 over current index. Reduction for hard days at the course. NDB max.

> >

> > Reading between the lines on the site, the USGA is still going to disallow solo rounds as they have now for a while and, if I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, allow match play scores still. If it were me, I’d allow match play single scores, and throw out fourball scores. Fourball is barely even golf. At least in singles match play, while different strategy from stroke play, you still have to take all the strokes for your “side”. In fourball, if your partner is playing well, your second shot on every hole is borderline meaningless. In singles match play every shot counts until you win, lose, or tie the hole.

> >

> > It sounds like ROTW will still disallow match play scores. Just medal and stable.

> >

> >

>

> No, that's just outlining the principles. For example the NDB-adjusted score can't be the final number used to calculate the handicap.

>

> The number will be something like NDB Score - Par + PCC but I haven't seen it anywhere.

Having a hard time following all this. So came here to ask when we could expect some literature etc at the club level ? Our committee was shocked when I mentioned this change to them yesterday. . Election time is coming up , and I’m not sure any of our current 4 will want to accept a nomination this time. Have they not sent out anything or is our club just oblivious to the info that’s been sent ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Halebopp said:

> > > @Augster said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @Halebopp said:

> > >

> > > > I do find it weird they haven't made all the mathematics public information yet. Certainly all of those issues should've been set in stone at least a year ago to allow time for the software companies to create the new systems.

> > >

> > >

> > > They have made the math available.

> > >

> > > https://www.whs.com/articles/2019/basis-of-handicap-calculation.html

> > >

> > > 8/20. Auto reduction for a differential 7 over current index. Reduction for hard days at the course. NDB max.

> > >

> > > Reading between the lines on the site, the USGA is still going to disallow solo rounds as they have now for a while and, if I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, allow match play scores still. If it were me, I’d allow match play single scores, and throw out fourball scores. Fourball is barely even golf. At least in singles match play, while different strategy from stroke play, you still have to take all the strokes for your “side”. In fourball, if your partner is playing well, your second shot on every hole is borderline meaningless. In singles match play every shot counts until you win, lose, or tie the hole.

> > >

> > > It sounds like ROTW will still disallow match play scores. Just medal and stable.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > No, that's just outlining the principles. For example the NDB-adjusted score can't be the final number used to calculate the handicap.

> >

> > The number will be something like NDB Score - Par + PCC but I haven't seen it anywhere.

>

> Having a hard time following all this. So came here to ask when we could expect some literature etc at the club level ? Our committee was shocked when I mentioned this change to them yesterday. . Election time is coming up , and I’m not sure any of our current 4 will want to accept a nomination this time. Have they not sent out anything or is our club just oblivious to the info that’s been sent ?

BH, this link was posted in the other WHS thread. It is pretty helpful.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/world-handicap-system/world-handicap-system--education-resources.html

• Like 2

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

>

> They called it a differential here: https://www.whs.com/articles/2019/basis-of-handicap-calculation.html but if you say its not in the rules Ill have to take your word for it.

And this matches the quote from that link

**Score Differential = 113/Slope Rating x ( Adjusted Gross Score - Course Rating -Playing Conditions Calculation)**

When a player submits a score, it is converted into a score differential - which assesses the player’s performance in a round relative to the Course and Slope Rating of the tees that were played. A calculated assessment will also take place to determine whether any adjustment is needed for abnormal course or weather conditions, known as the ‘playing conditions calculation.’

• 8 months later...

Do you have to pay extra for a handicap-round? Here in Germany only Tournaments or „EDS“-Rounds will be calculated for your handicap. An EDS-Round has to be booked and payed BEFORE you play. So if you just play with your buddies and accidentally hit a good score there is no way this round will calculated for your HCP.

While I feel really uncomfortable saying with certainty how things might work in a different country, I feel pretty safe assuming only competition rounds and pre-registered extra-day scores count in the EGA countries. For us the pre-registration only means that you inform your playing partners before teeing off. The markers don't even need to verify the ED scores online anymore.

If you play most of your rounds in competitions or choose to play for ED scores on most days, your handicap will be a better reflection of your true handicap than if you only returned a couple of scores each year. I've played two rounds in the past week or so, one was my second best round of the season and the other was probably the worst but I only announced my intention to play for an EDS for the latter round. Had it been the other way around, my handicap would now be about 0.7 strokes lower due to also having a good score drop off from the last 20 rounds altogether.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Is it a common practice in Germany to charge for EDS rounds? I can only assume it's to cover the costs of the administrative work when members return actual scorecards for the staff to enter as opposed to posting them online themselves.

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Yes it is common practice in Germany to charge for EDS-Rounds. But there is no Pro involved. You just annonce it and pay before your Round at the clubhouse. And you need someone who will count your round. After your round you have to return your scorecard at the service desk. Most Golfers I know prefer tournaments over EDS - maybe the reason why is both cost the same. Also some of them believe an EDS Round is„too easy“ (I disagree). And Players with a HCP better than 4.5 are not allowed to play EDS.

That's interesting. Over here it's simply seen as one of the basic services provided by the club staff whereas competitions cost around 20€ for members and maybe 60€ for visitors. We did have a two-euro charge for the carts early on this season though as the staff had to disinfect them after each round.

The handicap categories will disappear when you move to the WHS and even Category 1 players will then be able to play EDS rounds.