2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Funny Story...

bleach

Hit at and ball stolen
My son and I went out and walked 18 today. My wife also went along to enjoy the day out. My son and I are beginners, so we are just learning everything. I try to be aware of anyone that I might be holding up.

First we were leaving a Par 3 after putting out and a group of 2 behind us (driving a cart) hit there shots that came very close to hitting us. We moved on to the next hole and tee'd off (after waiting for the group ahead). My drive did not go that far and after I hit my second shot, I heard a ball wiz past my head hit a tree (I was on the cart path) and bounce out near me. I looked back at them and thought maybe they didn't see me for some reason.

A couple of holes later, we tee off. I hit a monster drive (for me at least) and we decide to let these 2 guys play through. The first guy hits a really short drive, the second is OK. They drive to the first ball, the guy hits his second shot. The driver drops him for his 3rd then drives over to MY ball. He then proceeds to hit my ball onto the green. My ball was at least 60 yards past where his drive stopped. I didn't want to screem at him across the course. The guys were older and I bet he got a great kick thinking he had hit his drive that far, then landed the approach on the green. So I decided to just laugh it off. I picked up his ball and dropped another ball close to where I thought mine was.

They moved on and we never saw them again....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had a guy hit my ball (granted, it was in his fairway at the time, but before he hit it, I said "Hold up, I think that's my ball. Is that a Nike 3?" Without even looking at the ball, he said "No." and hit my ball. Oh well.)

But I just wanted to say that I think it's cool that you and your son are learning at the same time.

Welcome.

Man you were VERY nice.

We got hit into today. Luckily nobody was hit but it came close (10ft) to my buddy. He turned around and just looked at the guys for a couple of seconds contemplating going over to them. I told him to calm down and we played on. He couldn't get it out of his head and melted down on the final 2 holes leaving me an easy victory for the day. :rolleyes:

I had a buddy play my ball once, it wasn't even remotely the same brand!! I've also had the "what kinda ballo are you hitting?" exchange while you're looking at someone about to hit your ball...."uuuuuuuhhhh", "if that's a Hogan, you're about to hit my ball, man".."oh, ummmm, sorry, have you seen mine??"

I was playing in my league once, on the 9th hole. Piped a drive right down the middle. As I'm walking up to my ball, perhaps 100 yards away, these two guys who spoke as much English as I spoke Chinese drove up to my ball (in MY fairway, mind you!), and hit my ball. As the guy was setting up, I'm asking my buddy "Isn't that my ball?". Having people pick up my golf ball when I'm in their fairway pisses me off (especially on tight courses where any ball could be from 2 fairways over), but I was livid when this guy hit my ball in my own fairway. There's just no excuse.

So I'm walking up the fairway. I yelled back at the guy, "Hey, I think you hit my ball. Yours is right here. What kind of ball did you hit?" He said "it had lettering". I said "THEY ALL HAVE F'ING LETTERING!". He went and got my ball and returned it to me. I politely reminded him to look to see what kind of ball he his hitting EVERY time he goes to make a shot!

• 3 months later...

You handled that better than I did when it happened to me. Usually I'm calm cool and easily passive on the golf course. But on this particular trip I had my son with me, 12 years old, second time he had actually ever go to play a full 18 (usually we play a short 9 that's in our area). Well on the 2nd hole 290 par 4, everyone in my group is getting the proper clubs out of our bags and walking to our balls about 20-50 yards to front side of green, when a ball comes flying in landing about 8 feet behind my son. There group was 2 men and 2 women playing. They never yelled fore or anything we had no idea they had hit until the ball rolled in behind my boy. After my buddies told me to just let it go, I did. Didn't say a word.

Fast forward to 2 holes later 315 Par 4, our carts are parked on the cart path beside the hole. As we are walking to our cart to head to the next hole a ball hits the top of the cart as my son is placing his putter in his bag. I come unglued. We drive to the next tee box, I lock up the breaks to grab f**ktards attention and walk straight over to these guys. My buddies just kind of sit back and don't say anything but they are out of the cart watching, I walk at a very past face over to this guy about 75 yrds away. And just unload on him. I asked him why he was hitting into us and all he could do was stutter when he was trying to talk. I was in his face asking him why and the f**k would he hit and not yell something anything and that I had a 12 year old with me and if he had hit him that I would probably be going to jail right about now because I would have walked over here and shoved my putter so far up your Word not allowed it would have killed you. He went to say something and I told him if I seen him anywhere near us for the rest of the round, I was going to shove that club up his Word not allowed just for being close. I guess it shook him up pretty bad because his foursome fell back about 2 holes and never got closer. Funny thing was I think he and his buddy were trying to impress the ladys they were with because the group up on the first tee. And now he just got his butt jumped on the course.

Hitting into someone is very dangerous.

You handled that better than I did when it happened to me. Usually I'm calm cool and easily passive on the golf course. But on this particular trip I had my son with me, 12 years old, second time he had actually ever go to play a full 18 (usually we play a short 9 that's in our area). Well on the 2nd hole 290 par 4, everyone in my group is getting the proper clubs out of our bags and walking to our balls about 20-50 yards to front side of green, when a ball comes flying in landing about 8 feet behind my son. There group was 2 men and 2 women playing. They never yelled fore or anything we had no idea they had hit until the ball rolled in behind my boy. After my buddies told me to just let it go, I did. Didn't say a word.

Fast forward to 2 holes later 315 Par 4, our carts are parked on the cart path beside the hole. As we are walking to our cart to head to the next hole a ball hits the top of the cart as my son is placing his putter in his bag. I come unglued. We drive to the next tee box, I lock up the breaks to grab f**ktards attention and walk straight over to these guys. My buddies just kind of sit back and don't say anything but they are out of the cart watching, I walk at a very past face over to this guy about 75 yrds away. And just unload on him. I asked him why he was hitting into us and all he could do was stutter when he was trying to talk. I was in his face asking him why and the f**k would he hit and not yell something anything and that I had a 12 year old with me and if he had hit him that I would probably be going to jail right about now because I would have walked over here and shoved my putter so far up your Word not allowed it would have killed you. He went to say something and I told him if I seen him anywhere near us for the rest of the round, I was going to shove that club up his Word not allowed just for being close. I guess it shook him up pretty bad because his foursome fell back about 2 holes and never got closer. Funny thing was I think he and his buddy were trying to impress the ladys they were with because the group up on the first tee. And now he just got his butt jumped on the course.

amen and agreed. i would also become completely unglued-especially with a kid around...these jackasses have to be frightened to death or they'll just keep doing it.

You handled that better than I did when it happened to me. Usually I'm calm cool and easily passive on the golf course. But on this particular trip...

....I was in his face asking him why and the f**k would he hit and not yell something anything and that I... I told him if I seen him anywhere near us for the rest of the round, I was going to shove that club up his Word not allowed just for being close.

Anyway you look at it this is assault!

I understand your son was involved, and not being a parent I can not understand that drive. It cuts a fine line to have your family involved in it. I mean, a 6 foot dude came at my 4'11" sister in-law once and I cam unglued. If he had come at me, I would have shrugged it off.

Still, best to keep it cool. The guy may have been a reckless jerk, but best to keep him on the defensive by shaming him in front of a 12 year old, than it is to physically threaten him and give that creep a shot at the moral high ground.

My cell phone has a digital camera on it, I'd say take a picture of the offender’s ball in proximity to your boy, phone the course, and call out a course official to enforce some rules, and kick some people out. Maybe even pick it up so you can have the course give it back to the guy as they kick him out.

As he walks off, have your son shout out to him, “Hey Mister, how do you mark your Titleist?

Listen to this story,

My good friend and I are on the 8th hole in the middle of a par 4 fairway when a ball drops about 25 feet behind us(no warning either). We look back at the tee blocks and throw our hands up in the "come on guy!" motion. We were clearly in the middle of the fairway and it wasn't a blind tee shot..but hey, everyone makes mistakes, maybe he thought we were out of range, so we figured we would let it slid this time.

But this guy and his buddies didn't take the subtle hint we gave them the first time.... On the 10th hole we are waiting to hit our approaches into a par 5 (there was a group ahead on the green) and a ball comes within 5 feet of hitting me in the head (again no warning). I was really teed off. They obliviously knew we were waiting to hit, so hitting into us wouldn't make us go any faster. And if I was in their shoes I would have been extremely careful after the first incident. So I picked up his ball, teed it up, and hit it back at them! It came pretty close actually...and truth be told, they didn't come anywhere close to hitting into us again after that.

The End

we had some guys pushing us and hitting into us and we were ahead of pace for the round...they were laughing and crap and never calling fore.

next hole we are putting and a ball bounces right up on green and they are high fiving. So me and my buddy walk over and pick up the one ball...and then go short of green and pick up the other ball...and toss them in the pond.

we went to next hole and never saw them again.

Golfers that blatantly hit into people obviously have little or no respect for other people's well being. I think they are like tailgaters ... they think they can push you to go at their speed, and don't care if they are endangering your life. A lot of them probably even think it is funny.

We do need to keep our cool in dealing with this though. I do like the idea of hitting the ball back at them, but it should be done in a manner that has absolutely zero chance of injuring them. Tossing the balls in the drink or knocking them in the woods is a nice touch too. Of course probably the best way to deal with it is to have the clubhouse's phone # with you and call for an official. Or give them a polite lecture and let them play through so you don't get hit. Although it might be satisfying to 'get back at them', you never know who is a nut job and will come beat you to death with a club ...

• 4 weeks later...

I have a simialr story. I was playing with friend who isn't the greatest but isnt slow by any means. We're on the 8th hole on 310 par 4, I hit a drive prolly 40 yards from the green and the guy had been hitting close to us all day. He never caught up to us so I didn't think about letting him play thru. So on 8th hole I was really mad because it so I tee'd up his ball and hit it back at them over there heads into the woods. Needless to say, I shouldn't have done this but it was the 8th hole and I was really mad and was wondering why they just couldnt wait.

I have a simialr story. I was playing with friend who isn't the greatest but isnt slow by any means. We're on the 8th hole on 310 par 4, I hit a drive prolly 40 yards from the green and the guy had been hitting close to us all day. He never caught up to us so I didn't think about letting him play thru. So on 8th hole I was really mad because it so I tee'd up his ball and hit it back at them over there heads into the woods. Needless to say, I shouldn't have done this but it was the 8th hole and I was really mad and was wondering why they just couldnt wait.

I had a guy take my ball once. I hit a great drive down the left center of the fairway that caught the slope and ran, I was hitting a Pro V1. I'm watching the cart go back and forth in the fairway a few times and I'm starting to get annoyed with what these guys are doing. I walked to where I thought my ball was but found nothing. I looked around some more and found a top flite a little ways back. By now, I'm really ticked off knowing that this guy stole my ball. I finished the hole and then met up with him on the next tee box. I said "um, sir. Here's your ball." He replied "oh, thanks kid" thinking I was randomly giving him a ball. I said "uh, no, this is YOUR ball, I want my Titleist back." The guy looks down at his hand to see that he was holding my pro V1 and then looked up with embarrassment to see that I was holding his ball. His playing partners were laughing their rear ends off at him and he just looked like a total idiot.

Just last Sunday I had a guy pick up my ball. I was down the right hand side in the rough between two parallel fairways. I watch the guy pick up my ball as my playing partner was making his shot. We drive over and I ask the guy if he found a ball. He says "Callaway Green?" I say "yep". He say's "we didn't think you'd be that far offline". To which I just drive away to place my ball and keep on playing.

Meanwhile I am thinking this: Dude you are just as far off your fairway as I am mine, plus I am way farther away from my tee box.

I have a rule I don't pick up any balls unless they are buried in the woods. Because I know I can hit a 100 yard slice on command. ;)

Had a dude pick up my ball, in my fairway, in a tournament no less!!! Not a charity scramble mind you, a full on stroke play tourney!

He comes over, I'm about 15 yards away waiting on another player to hit. Picks up the ball and starts do drive away. I yell at him and he throws it back and leaves. I go up to him and ask him (calmly and politely) WTF was that? ;) He goes, "I hit over there and thought it was mine". Then I asked, so do you usually drive to your ball and PICK IT UP and leave in tournament play? Just so you know, your suppose to hit it with one of those stick things attached to the back of the cart, look in the round bag should be 14 of them, pick one. Paused for effect and left.

The other guys on tee almost fell over.

This is why you join a country club.

Honestly, I don't know how people can just walk up to a ball and assume its theirs. especially since I play proV's, and they always kind of have that "dirty" look. if your playing a surylin covered white-as-snow top flite, you should notice the difference. I've had to walk really fast when I see guys looking around where my ball was, because I know that they might just find my ball and just go for it without even looking.

Honestly, I don't know how people can just walk up to a ball and assume its theirs. especially since I play proV's, and they always kind of have that "dirty" look. if your playing a surylin covered white-as-snow top flite, you should notice the difference. I've had to walk really fast when I see guys looking around where my ball was, because I know that they might just find my ball and just go for it without even looking.

I don't think it's a dirty look they're giving you. It's just they want to see if the ball they're looking at belongs to the guy that's walking towards it in the distance...which would be you.

If he knows it doesn't belong to you, what you're seeing is a look of theft in the eyes...that's all.

I don't think it's a dirty look they're giving you. It's just they want to see if the ball they're looking at belongs to the guy that's walking towards it in the distance...which would be you.

If he knows it doesn't belong to you, what you're seeing is a look of theft in the eyes...that's all.

dude, not the people. the balls. proV's always look kind of dirty, as soon as you hit them once.

I was playing golf with a buddy today, and I came up on some dude with his wife and son walking (we were in a cart). They were obviously beginners, so we tried to press them a little by hitting it close to them. They didn't get the hint, so I hit another one right at the guy. Still nothing. So then, they end up waiting for us a couple of holes later. I pipe this MONSTER drive out there like, 60 yards past this guy's ball. Man I showed him.

I was playing golf with a buddy today, and I came up on some dude with his wife and son walking (we were in a cart). They were obviously beginners, so we tried to press them a little by hitting it close to them. They didn't get the hint, so I hit another one right at the guy. Still nothing. So then, they end up waiting for us a couple of holes later. I pipe this MONSTER drive out there like, 60 yards past this guy's ball. Man I showed him.

You must be 16 years old.

Wow I was about to jump all over this, then I went back and read the original post.

Now I get it! ;)

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

;)

Post of the day.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

i think we all have "almost hit" stories, and wrong ball stories, but i have one with a different twist.

I was playing in a member guest with a friend at one of my favorite courses, and since its a favorite i was playing like a dog!! On the 3rd hole i hit my bridgestone b-330s with an orange shamrock (seriously how many of these can there be?) into a line of trees, nad never found it (DAMN!!)

get thru #4 and tee off on 5. Again playing like the dog i am i am walking back to the 4th fairway to find my tee shot from 5, and i find it....an b-330s with an ORANGE shamrock. I play my shot, and get immediately confronted by someone 100 yds away. "HEY, THATS MY BALL!!!!" calmly i reply, "no sir, it is not. it is my ball it was a bridgestone b-330s with an ORANGE shamrock on it. were you playing one of those?" (sarcasm very thick at this point, cause i KNOW i am right) "yes i was!!" he says, "i found it on the third hole in the line of trees."

Whoops!! sorry dude....here is the spot, and here is a ball, and i couldnt be more sorry. plus....you are welcome for the ball. ;-)

Me and my two compadres were playing a couple of weeks a go and these two high school senior hot shots were playing right behind us the whole day. It's not like we play slow either we finished nine holes in 2 hours that day and we are not bad either turned in two forty-twos and a forty five. We were putting on the 17th and one of them rips his second shot into the greenside bunker that I was in. I was pissed off I took my sand wedge dug a nice deep hole and stuck it in (2 inches down) and covered the ball so you could just barely see part of it. We then pored water on it.

We Chilled at the green to wait for them when they got there even before seeing their ball they were telling us that it was our fault that because we we're playing slow (which we weren't) that they had to send a message to us to hurry up.

They show up at the next green and the guy who almost hit me is bright red in the face he asked me why that had happened to his ball I said "Ya hit into my divot and it is my obligation to rake after I play from the bunker" we sat at the tee box and exchanged insults for a while and then me and my Compadres decided to piss them off we decided to take our sweet time I took four minutes to address the ball fidgeting around as much as I could then I rip one down the center of the fairway 250-270 I ask my friend if he saw where that went an he said 'No I didn't better play a provisional ball" did the same thing with the setup and swing then for kicks did it again, my other friend was quicker he just setup and fired, but my final friend Mike was the real a hole out of all of us he starts by facing the complete opposite direction(we play the blue tees and they were waiting on the blacks)scarring the bejesus out of them. I then point him in the right direction then he decides he's taking to much club and pulls out his putter. He proceeds to take five practice swings before getting the driver again which he grips by the head take six practice swings before I set him straight. Finally he takes a real swing which he shanks ob so he walks back and asks the guys for a lesson which they refuse to give him. then right before he says" Do you guys want to play through we might be a while" he hits his next drive in the fairway. The whole time Mike was up there messing with these guys me and Jake the other guy were just laid out laughing.

That last comment Mike made set them both off. To the point where they where speechless it's at these points when sometimes the English language lacks the words needed to communicate the amount of anger that you are currently feeling to ward a certain person. Then I calmly and somehow respectfully repeated to them the fact that if they want to play through they just had to ask.

The guy who almost hit me got a job in the pro shop the next week.Boy did we look surprised when we walk into pay for our round next week. :)

Quick question....

Does anyone get upset when you are on the green on a short par 4 315-330yd ...and someone hits their tee shot and it rolls up or trickles up on you?

or if you are on a really long par 5 and someone hits their 2nd shot and it rolls up on you onto the green??

if so

SORRY!! :man_in_love:

But if it comes in the air and lands at the feet...there are no excuse's. I get pretty mad, I've taken balls, hit back at people, and so on...but only after the second time..first time I give them a warning as it might have been an accident or the guy just hit a shot of his lifetime, 2nd time all bets are off...they have no respect and should have learned from the first time.