2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

NEED COLLECTIVE WISDOM ----2019 SM 2.5+ versus 2019 Titleist Players 4 StaDry

I'm curious if anyone has any good thoughts or input on this issue I have. I have a hard time making decisions like this and waffle often.

I was able to get a new 2019 SM 2.5+ bag for $130. I now have it in hand. My thoughts I have now with the bag in my possession:

1) It is really light

2) The fabric does not seem to be very thick (coming from a Jones and a Hoofer) and I have concerns about water intrusion. I play all year, in all types of weather, and I am taking a trip to Scotland next year playing 10 rounds with multiple 36 hole days, and I expect some poor weather.

3) I'm not sure there is a good pocket for my rangefinder (I can't hang it from the bag)

4) This would be my first bag with the external foot deploying the legs. I have a little concern that I could slam the foot on the ground (in frustration after a poor shot) and break the foot.

After getting the bag, I looked at a Titleist Players 4 StaDry in person. My thoughts I have on that bag:

1) It is a little heavier, but still lighter than my prior bags.

2) The fabric appears much stronger and claims to be waterproof.

3) It has all the pockets I need.

4) It has my club logo (whereas the SM is direct from the manufacturer).

5) I like the internal foot for the legs.

6) The StaDry is approximately $90 more.

Am I crazy to consider paying the extra $90 for the StayDry? I will only be in Scotland for a week or so, and while I play in all weather, it's easy to walk off my course if it gets too crazy and dry the clubs at home for a round the following day.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If playing in all weather conditions I would go with the stadry. It is a nice, well balanced, light stand bag. Might not be quite as light as the 2.5+ but it's not far behind.

I had the 2.5+ for a long time and the durability was never an issue with that bag. I've only had the stadry for a couple of months and it's not my primary bag as I've been using a mackenzie most of the time but it's been great at what I've asked it to do.

I have a stay dry and has onLy been in the rain once but was fine. However I mostly use a push cart and it doesn’t work well in it, shifts around and drives me crazy. I’m looking for a new bag because I decided I’m not going to carry my bag anymore. And the few times I carry the bag from my car to range isn’t worth the aggravation with my push cart. The pocket for the rangefinder is good but a water bottle doesn’t fit in the water bottle pocket unlike my old titalist bag this one replaced.

StayDry for the following reasons:

1. SM has no pocket for the range finder - this will annoy you at least 18 or more times during each round - so on your trip, you will kick yourself 180 times for buying the SM

2. You are concerned about water intrusion on the SM, but not as much with the StayDry - if anything gets wet with the SM, you will kick yourself. If anything gets wet with the StayDry, you will be convinced the weather was such that nothing could save you and you will still be happy.

3. Think about what the trip to Scotland is costing you, then look at items #1 and #2 above, and decide if those annoyances are worth potentially ruining your trip to save $90

This is a no-brainer

Big caveat- I rarely play in the rain. That said, the 2.5+ is the best ultralight bag for walking in regular conditions. It is light as a feather and has all the right pockets for me, with no unnecessary pockets. I put my laser in the valuables pocket, it's very easy to reach and has a soft felt lining.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> Big caveat- I rarely play in the rain. That said, the 2.5+ is the best ultralight bag for walking in regular conditions. It is light as a feather and has all the right pockets for me, with no unnecessary pockets. I put my laser in the valuables pocket, it's very easy to reach and has a soft felt lining.

I was thinking the same thing about my laser. I could put my keys and phone in a valuables pouch and keep that in another pocket.

My only concern with the SM is rain intrusion, but I would be playing in rain gloves, with an extra towel in a ziplock bag to bring out and dry grips if it stops raining, so it might not be a big deal.

I guess I am missing something here. I have a 2.5+ And have it hanging to the loop on the side with no issue.

ixtrnsz6l2j5.jpeg

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

> @linkerpan said:

> I guess I am missing something here. I have a 2.5+ And have it hanging to the loop on the side with no issue.

> ixtrnsz6l2j5.jpeg

>

Didn't say you can't hang it there, just find it easier to use the valuables pocket. I leave it in there unzipped, easy in and out, don't have to mess with the elastic bungee deal on the laser case and the case doesn't bounce around as I walk.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I have had my Titleist staydry for 5 complete seasons now and I just cant kill it. This is 3 seasons longer than any other bag I have ever known. I walk most rounds so the fact that my stay dry has lasted this long is freaky. Not one single zipper is broken. The one thing I had to do was epoxy the stand legs back in last season. Other then that I have had zero issues on a bag I almost treat like I hate it.

I was surprised to read the replies overwhelmingly favor 2.5+, at least early on.

I have an 18 2.5+. It sucks. The straps twist way more. The pads are way less comfortable. Two zippers have partially failed. And the pocket layout isn’t close to as good, especially the valuables & (nonexistent) tee spaces.

That’s all aside from the straps slipping, which they’ve supposedly solved but sure did nothing for people who bought a clear design defect. I emailed & called multiple times. I sent links to threads here. They failed to answer for over a month. I’ve been upset enough to write a manufacturer less than 5 times in my 45 years, but I sent them 6 or 7 emails. Got nowhere. Never again will I buy a SM anything.

The Titleist is excellent. I like the strap slide way better (the 2.5 twists & turns around like crazy). It’s easier to adjust & the pockets & zippers are great.

Broke out the 2.5+ (2019 model) for the first time in awhile today to walk 18. Forgot how light and awesome the bag is. Very enjoyable round, could have gone another 18 no problem.

hcewxbc1c3gl.jpg

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @johnsomp said:

> I'm curious if anyone has any good thoughts or input on this issue I have. I have a hard time making decisions like this and waffle often.

>

> I was able to get a new 2019 SM 2.5+ bag for $130. I now have it in hand. My thoughts I have now with the bag in my possession:

> 1) It is really light

> 2) The fabric does not seem to be very thick (coming from a Jones and a Hoofer) and I have concerns about water intrusion. I play all year, in all types of weather, and I am taking a trip to Scotland next year playing 10 rounds with multiple 36 hole days, and I expect some poor weather.

> 3) I'm not sure there is a good pocket for my rangefinder (I can't hang it from the bag)

> 4) This would be my first bag with the external foot deploying the legs. I have a little concern that I could slam the foot on the ground (in frustration after a poor shot) and break the foot.

>

> After getting the bag, I looked at a Titleist Players 4 StaDry in person. My thoughts I have on that bag:

> 1) It is a little heavier, but still lighter than my prior bags.

> 2) The fabric appears much stronger and claims to be waterproof.

> 3) It has all the pockets I need.

> 4) It has my club logo (whereas the SM is direct from the manufacturer).

> 5) I like the internal foot for the legs.

> 6) The StaDry is approximately $90 more.

>

> Am I crazy to consider paying the extra $90 for the StayDry? I will only be in Scotland for a week or so, and while I play in all weather, it's easy to walk off my course if it gets too crazy and dry the clubs at home for a round the following day.

Out of interest - which Jones are you coming from?