2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Getting Older Is Killing My Golf Game, Or What Is Left Of It

platgof

68 with advancing arthritis, I was a pretty long hitter "back in the day," and I am trying to come to grips with my ever-increasing limitations.  Just really difficult to resist the urge to really go after it at impact.  This generally leads to a pull or a slice.  Still want to hit the ball with everything I've got.  Have to realize that everything I've got just isn't that much anymore.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, torbill said:

You must be quite a bit younger than I.  I agree with what you are saying, 100%, but the time does come when we just do not have the strength and flexibility that we had in our prime.  I’ve done a lot to keep my body in shape, and the dividends are huge.  But there is another aspect to the question, in my experience:

When we are younger and have a lot of strength we can use that strength to overcome swing flaws that we don’t even know that we have.  As we age we have to realize this and be open to finding the flaws in our fundamentals, and be willing to work to fix them.  I still play very good golf, compared to many people who are a lot younger.  I do it by staying in shape and working very hard to understand my swing and have solid fundamentals - keep the same swing that I had 15 years ago and I would never have the game I have now.  The older players who I see who give it up are the ones who don’t seem to realize this, or they don’t seem willing to put in the work.

Don't know.  I took up golf at 40, and now over 70, and still playing to a 4 index.  Most people take me for 50ish, thanks to my training regime of 80 stomach crunches with a 60lb plate on my chest, finish the circuit and hit the elliptical for 30 mins.  Between exercise and new clubs, I am feeling game promise.  Looking to drop to a 3, maybe card my age soon; I hope, I hope...LOL

You are right about the time: I see glimpses 😣 of father-time off in the distance.  

Agree with your last statement too.  Many friends fit into those areas.  Most of them hit a wall in their 60s, and all but gave up golf; including some guys who played damn good golf in college, and after.  They won't put in the work.  However, one buddy is 77, a jock since college, only not playing nearly as well as he used to; thing is, he never gives up, keeps trying.  The other day he was ecstatic over carding 90 on very difficult longer tees.  I am proud to say he's a dear friend.  You have a good day.  I am off to the gym later.  🙂

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

This has been a rough golf season for me. My handicap has risen from 9 to 11 - yet my stats seem to show unforced errors have pretty much stayed the same. My GIR and up/down rate have both gotten worse and my driving distance has continued to erode (pattern for last 3 years). 

My daily stretching has helped with flexibility and kept my arthritis somewhat in check. So, I'm committed to try and play through the winter her in Chicago and hope I can make age 71 better than age 70!

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

• 1 month later...

Played 9 yesterday as I find 18 too much anymore. I need a 12 hole course to make it right! Maybe with land costing a fortune 12 holes will be available soon. Found out I have fractures in the spine, so that explains the pain. I did quite well playing off of a matt after warming up.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 4/11/2020 at 9:47 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

I see this nearly every day. Good golfers who lose their game completely at a certain age.

Its actually a simple concept. Your ability to manage and compensate for your swing faults has diminished and gets to a point where it gets critical.

Every one of these instances we were able to get most or all of it back.

I hope that you are correct, Monte.  The aliments now at 74 prevent me from practicing much and consequently a decline in my level of play.  Some of my friends can no longer play and it is sad to see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spent a week in the hospital last week after a Brown Recluse spider bite. The venom spikes enzyme levels that affected my pancreas, little did I know. It was a miserable experience to say the least. My stomach took the biggest hit as it flared up my ulcerative colitis, and blocked the system. It took four days to convince them I needed Flagyl, or I was only going to get worse. I have not yet fully recovered and wonder if I ever will. Hopefully I will. Golf can wait till then.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

1 hour ago, platgof said:

Spent a week in the hospital last week after a Brown Recluse spider bite. The venom spikes enzyme levels that affected my pancreas, little did I know. It was a miserable experience to say the least. My stomach took the biggest hit as it flared up my ulcerative colitis, and blocked the system. It took four days to convince them I needed Flagyl, or I was only going to get worse. I have not yet fully recovered and wonder if I ever will. Hopefully I will. Golf can wait till then.

Golf can always wait. Good luck with the recovery. Great time to peruse those golf instruction books for the magic move to resurrect the golf swing. I always spend snowy Chicago days that way but for me its become "hope over experience!"

Get well soon!

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2023 at 11:01 AM, crucible said:

I hope that you are correct, Monte.  The aliments now at 74 prevent me from practicing much and consequently a decline in my level of play.  Some of my friends can no longer play and it is sad to see.

It is not just the physical aspect but the mental that is getting me. My mind starts to wonder off somewhere after playing the front nine and refuses to concentrate on the shot at hand. No gym workout will fix that.

Edited by platgof
correction

Bag is in overhaul mode

22 hours ago, platgof said:

It is not just the physical aspect but the mental that is getting me. My mind starts to wonder off somewhere after playing the front nine and refuses to concentrate on the shot at hand. No gym workout will fix that.

This works...until you hit it into the lumber yard.

image.png.4ffe67f37d4a562e59d4e3fdd82f725b.png

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

On 1/21/2024 at 11:33 AM, platgof said:

Hope you're recovering, stay strong. 🤞

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 1 month later...

Have been going to the gym for over a year now and am now starting to see some real gains. I added some wrist curls and a different pattern on the bands, and it came together. Creatine really helps the muscles from being too sore. I am not sure the rest of the body appreciates this extra strength?

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode