2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Getting Older Is Killing My Golf Game, Or What Is Left Of It

platgof

I played at Eastland Greens today and this course for some reason is more playable for me. I am going to stick to easier courses for the time being and leave the leagues alone for now. Shot 38, 38 for a 76, so it must be working. I really don't understand this d*** game at all, as I shot an 86 here last time. I am not a 4 hdcp player!! This is my best game score ever, so!!! 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the gym and overdid it. I tore up my right shoulder and neck muscles. I am still able to play, but I am in for it for a long road. I should have known better as I thought I was past getting injured and wanted to warp speed to more strength. Now I am going at a crawl to get it back to normal. I should have stuck to the slower pace and reaped the benefits.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

My shoulder is starting to heal, and I am also still working out, just less weight and more reps like I originally did. I could tell today that I am getting stronger when playing golf, but at 66 the mental focus is just not there anymore. Just very glad that it is starting to heal. I really want to rip the muscles some, but that is just to risky at this point. I need to be content with the healing process for the moment!

Bag is in overhaul mode

My shoulder is starting to heal, and I am also still working out, just less weight and more reps like I originally did. I could tell today that I am getting stronger when playing golf, but at 66 the mental focus is just not there anymore. Just very glad that it is starting to heal. I really want to rip the muscles some, but that is just to risky at this point. I need to be content with the healing process!

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, platgof said:

Now the hips are giving me a fit! Will see the doctors next week about it. Adjusting to getting older is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck with the doctor visit. I've been having some hip problems and doctors finally decided I was favoring my bad knee and putting too much pressure on the hip. Re-doubling my stretching efforts has helped some, but getting out of bed is still a full contact sport at our age 😞

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

On 4/12/2023 at 7:29 PM, platgof said:

Went to the gym and overdid it. I tore up my right shoulder and neck muscles.

All the exercise stuff and healthy food will kill you.

Stay away from the gym, go get a Krispy Kreme donut and a greasy cheeseburger, buy a pack of Marlboros, a six pack of Budweiser (not Bud Lite) and you’ll live to be 96.

20 more yards, baby!

• Haha 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Okay not going to help with your age  related ailments. 
My Background: 64 right hip replaced at 50.  Right hip ball replaced at 60. Left hip replaced at 61. Stent put in at 62. Aches and pains due to age and wear and tear. 
I finally gave up on my swing and tried staying on my right side to swing . This year started to realize that I gave up too soon. Started going back to an arm and body swing ala Bobby Jones and changed my grip to allow a freer of a wrist hinge Ala Steve Elkington. All of a sudden my golf swing of old came back. I still ache after but  18 holes seems to be okay. 
  Try never to succumb to changing your swing completely like I did. Try to retain what you can and change slowly. I spent almost 20 years in golf hell trying to make a massive change instead of following my own advice. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 5/4/2023 at 1:04 PM, Soloman1 said:

Stay away from the gym, go get a Krispy Kreme donut and a greasy cheeseburger, buy a pack of Marlboros, a six pack of Budweiser (not Bud Lite) and you’ll live to be 96.

20 more yards, baby!

hmmm, all my friends who followed this advice are gone!

• Haha 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 5/4/2023 at 2:04 PM, Soloman1 said:

20 more yards, baby!

1 hour ago, platgof said:

hmmm, all my friends who followed this advice are gone!

I was once playing with a guy named Vinny. He was pretty old (82) but got around the course quite well with an honest 10-12 index. I once asked him what was his secret for basically staying younger than his calendar age. His response was a classic - "Dave, I quit drinking and smoking when I turned 80". 

So there ya' go - the secret to good golf past age 80. 

dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/8/2023 at 6:03 PM, DaveLeeNC said:

I was once playing with a guy named Vinny. He was pretty old (82) but got around the course quite well with an honest 10-12 index. I once asked him what was his secret for basically staying younger than his calendar age. His response was a classic - "Dave, I quit drinking and smoking when I turned 80". 

So there ya' go - the secret to good golf past age 80. 

dave

No bueno amigo

• Haha 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 months later...

I had to give up local tourny golf because of back injuries. Then I played a week later, and my right knee is bothering me. I did manage a 39 as I am only playing 9 holes till things feel better. I might do another 9 tomorrow just to work on some golf swing moves I am trying to improve on. I was really surprised with the 39 with the way I have been feeling. When I overcome the injuries I really want to get back to tourny golf, really miss the guys.

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 4/11/2020 at 5:41 PM, platgof said:

Lately my golf game has taken quite a dive. the mental aspect is a real struggle lately. I know what I want to do, but pulling it off is another story. I am having a hard time adjusting to this next stage in my life. The issue is too real. I really hope it is just an adjustment issue?

I know an old guy who used to be able to dunk a basketball with two hands off of two feet. It would literally kill him to try to do this nowadays. He still occasionally dreams about floating through the air and doing pull-ups on the rim, but he knows this is nothing but a dream.

Getting old sucks. Get used to it and make the adjustment. Leverage your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses. 

• Like 3

Had a horrible day yesterday in a Men's tournament! Could not do hardly anything right and shot a 92! I was so upset I put the driver up for sale. My mind and body could not connect at all. I did par the last hole, so there is some hope. I am taking a break from competition until something clicks. No use hurting the team like this.

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 8/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, platgof said:

Had a horrible day yesterday in a Men's tournament! Could not do hardly anything right and shot a 92! I was so upset I put the driver up for sale. My mind and body could not connect at all. I did par the last hole, so there is some hope. I am taking a break from competition until something clicks. No use hurting the team like this.

Feel your pain. Looking at my stats compared to same number of rounds last year, I'm worse in GIR, putts, up/down. Driver is still working but I'm going back to old putter, old hybrid and old irons to see if I can rekindle some semblance of my game. Best of luck with your efforts to regain the magic!

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Played yesterday in a Shambles. The team uses the best first ball and then play your own ball from there, it was a blast. I really needed a fun event. My team took first and I shot a 75 using the shamble format!! High heat is coming in, so may not play the rest of the week. I am using a muscle recovery system to help with muscle soreness after playing golf. If I don't use it, I am very sore the next day. Basically, it is creatine and amino acids.

• Like 2

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 weeks later...

So frustrating at times. I can pull off some good shots, then wham, total loss of concentration. I just have to hope for my "good" days. The mental aspect and the physical decline are not helping at all. I am playing less hoping to recover somewhat.

Edited by platgof
  • Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 1 month later...

I was playing three weeks ago and the lower back was bothering me. Then last week it was really bothering me. This Monday even before I could complete nine holes, the lower back reared its ugly head. I was able to finish the round in pain, but for now no golf until I see an improvement. Is this the end of golf for me, it might be.

Bag is in overhaul mode

14 hours ago, platgof said:

I was playing three weeks ago and the lower back was bothering me. Then last week it was really bothering me. This Monday even before I could complete nine holes, the lower back reared its ugly head. I was able to finish the round in pain, but for now no golf until I see an improvement. Is this the end of golf for me, it might be.

When the back is an issue, you need to shut it down for a while.  Ice, heat, drugs, rest.  Not necessarily in that order.  The biggest mistake I ever made was continuing when the back got really sore.  Cost me 5 months of pain and it took me years to fix the swing (all the compensations really screwed up the swing).

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

In my last few years, I have found it necessary to slow things down a bit. Trying to maintain too high a swing speed into my 60’s caused several nagging injuries (and poorer scores). I will be 70 soon and my slower tempo has held up well for the most part. 

One of the key changes I made was to move up a tee block to reduce the temptation to swing too hard. I focused my practice more on my short game which made a big improvement in scores and was sustainable.

My buddies say that I play boring old man golf in that I choose accuracy over distance. For the most part, I have stayed injury free and have still got a decent golf game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I shouldn't even be posting here, being 43, but I have injuries and health problems of a 70 year old I feel like.  Herniated discs, bad knees, liver and kidney transplant and had minor surgery for my hip just over 5 weeks ago.  Got cleared to resume all strenuous activities earlier this week so I'm going to golf tomorrow for the first time in almost 6 weeks.  I feel old and stiff so we'll see how that goes, lol.  I think I'll be ok once I'm back into my usual workout routine and have some rounds and practice time under my belt though. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

21 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I shouldn't even be posting here, being 43, but I have injuries and health problems of a 70 year old I feel like.  Herniated discs, bad knees, liver and kidney transplant and had minor surgery for my hip just over 5 weeks ago.  Got cleared to resume all strenuous activities earlier this week so I'm going to golf tomorrow for the first time in almost 6 weeks.  I feel old and stiff so we'll see how that goes, lol.  I think I'll be ok once I'm back into my usual workout routine and have some rounds and practice time under my belt though. 

You sound like a train wreck! I thought I was doing bad, geez! 

Bag is in overhaul mode

12 hours ago, platgof said:

You sound like a train wreck! I thought I was doing bad, geez! 

I look at it this way.  I could be in a wheel chair or hospital bed with a terminal illness feeling sorry myself, but I'm not, so I'm thankful that I can still do the things I love to do and take one day at a time.  My wife says I'm like a cat and I have 9 lives.  By my estimations, I should be on the 4th one now, LOL. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 3/29/2023 at 7:51 PM, Tanner25 said:

Still suffering with a bad right knee. Does anyone have any set up modifications or swing advice? My backswing is totally restricted and I have been grinding the knee down because of it.

I'm 68 and had a lot of right knee pain while golfing (I'm RH) during the last few years. Switched to stack & tilt swing a few months ago, now the pain is gone. Gained a little distance in the process, too.

• Like 1

Bill

Ping G400 Driver G425 5 Wood G410 7 Wood

Wilson Staff Dynapower 5 Iron thru GW

Cleveland CBX2 50 & 56 Wedges & HB SOFT Milled #8 Putter

This isn't what anyone cares to hear, but the aging process forces every one of us to work harder at keeping ourselves in decent physical shape.  Good or decent physical conditioning has a positive influence on our mental outlook. 

Last weekend, had some really young 👶 playing partners watching me hit irons; they were amazed when they learned my age. 

For many that know me, I am an example of staying strong, never giving up, and continuing to fight.  The aging process takes no prisoners, it likes to kick my azz after golf.   For that reason, I am heading to the gym cathedral in a few hours, to give thanks. 😇

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, rideandfly said:

I'm 68 and had a lot of right knee pain while golfing (I'm RH) during the last few years. Switched to stack & tilt swing a few months ago, now the pain is gone. Gained a little distance in the process, too.

Thanks, Rideandfly. Good to hear it is working for you. On top of a bad trail knee, I also have a problem with my lead shoulder which limits my backswing too. I am 64 and the ailments never seem to end. Does Stack and Tilt require a traditional long backswing? I can't get to parallel on my backswing. Also, does Stack and Tilt put a lot of pressure on the lead knee? 

Edited by Tanner25

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

This isn't what anyone cares to hear, but the aging process forces every one of us to work harder at keeping ourselves in decent physical shape.  Good or decent physical conditioning has a positive influence on our mental outlook. 

Last weekend, had some really young 👶 playing partners watching me hit irons; they were amazed when they learned my age. 

For many that know me, I am an example of staying strong, never giving up, and continuing to fight.  The aging process takes no prisoners, it likes to kick my azz after golf.   For that reason, I am heading to the gym cathedral in a few hours, to give thanks. 😇

You must be quite a bit younger than I.  I agree with what you are saying, 100%, but the time does come when we just do not have the strength and flexibility that we had in our prime.  I’ve done a lot to keep my body in shape, and the dividends are huge.  But there is another aspect to the question, in my experience:

When we are younger and have a lot of strength we can use that strength to overcome swing flaws that we don’t even know that we have.  As we age we have to realize this and be open to finding the flaws in our fundamentals, and be willing to work to fix them.  I still play very good golf, compared to many people who are a lot younger.  I do it by staying in shape and working very hard to understand my swing and have solid fundamentals - keep the same swing that I had 15 years ago and I would never have the game I have now.  The older players who I see who give it up are the ones who don’t seem to realize this, or they don’t seem willing to put in the work.

14 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Thanks, Rideandfly. Good to hear it is working for you. On top of a bad trail knee, I also have a problem with my lead shoulder which limits my backswing too. I am 64 and the ailments never seem to end. Does Stack and Tilt require a traditional long backswing? I can't get to parallel on my backswing. Also, does Stack and Tilt put a lot of pressure on the lead knee? 

I set about 60% of my weight on my lead (Left) knee at setup and keep it there until the downswing with stack & tilt. My right knee straightens at the top of the swing taking stress off of my right knee allowing more hip turn. I used to sway my head back an inch or two on my old back swing with the majority of my weight on my right foot at the top of my old swing. Not so with stack & tilt. Found this Stack & Tilt to be powerful and repeatable. My right hip and right shoulder used to hurt with my old swing, too.  I'm back to carrying a carry bag with 1/2 set of clubs right now for nine holes without pain. My shoulders are turning to 90 degrees at the top with more hip turn and less stress on the knees. I was to the point of quitting golf if I could not find another swing to stop the pain.

Lots of folks watch youtube videos about stack & tilt. I bought the book from Amazon "The Stack and Tilt Swing" by Michael Bennett and Andy Plummer with Peter Morrice.

• Like 1

Bill

Ping G400 Driver G425 5 Wood G410 7 Wood

Wilson Staff Dynapower 5 Iron thru GW

Cleveland CBX2 50 & 56 Wedges & HB SOFT Milled #8 Putter