2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Do you throw or twist?

9 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

but again was not the main point

Then what is the main point because you keep bouncing around on definition. You emphasized by saying "and I will say again" "either it's disturbed or not disturbed", " as a simple binary choice" that was explained "by the finer points in this thread". Ooouuu.......choose good swing or bad......oh wow.  Lol, such a pompous nothing burger comment. 

10 hours ago, Nard_S said:

This is like saying, 'either it's a good swing or it's a bad swing", make the choice. Profound.

Again, I think that GS's theory is that there are specific components to a "swinging" swing, and there are specific components to a "hitting" swing, and that the most efficient (I want to say "best," but we all know that that's not a useful word in these debates) swing will be the result of closely adhering to the criteria of one or the other. He doesn't contend that you can't play golf with a hybrid-of-the-two swing, but that you'd be much better off trying not to blend aspects of each.

If you contend that the best golfers actually employ a hybrid of these two methods, then I think that's a perfectly on-topic argument to make.

• Like 1

So, is this horse pulling or pushing? Clearly the horse is applying a force against the ground. I contend that this horse is only pulling and there is zero pushing.

Pulling Back | The Ultimate Fix | Carson James

So, are these horses pushing or pulling? The horses are applying a force against the ground as they push into and against their collars, which in-turn provides a pulling action to take place. The horses push as a method or procedure (a.k.a. a system) that is used to pull a load.  Simply put - Pushing accomplishes a pulling reaction.  

Draft Horse Pull « Window On The Prairie | Horses, Draft horses, Big horses

Golf Swing related key point: I golfer using a 'hitting' action method extends the trail arm (see image below) straight outward using the tricep in a push thrust manner - a method or procedure that will pull (swing) the golf club in a structured downstroke arc. Pushing literally (directly) accomplishes a pulling (swing) action (reaction). 

doublePendulum_forces.gif

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography
  • Like 1

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

25 minutes ago, GreatStrike said:

So, is this horse pulling or pushing

Um, the real primary push is the horse pushing off of the ground. The net to the cart's mass is that he's pulling it. His relationship to the mass is what matters here. He's pulling the mass which is more efficient than pushing the mass from behind. This  is because the down force component decreases with pulling & increases over pushing. That is basic physics fact. In zero gravity it does not apply but gravity exists here. 

All car tires "push "off the ground via motor power just as the horse uses muscular power to push off ground. FWD autos will work more efficiently because the component of vertical force (gravity)  will drop on pulling mass and the vertical force will  increase on the pushing it like RWD autos do .Like the horse, the relationship of power to mass counts. That's why nobody makes a horse carriage or plow with the horse behind it. Because the wheels would dig into the ground more. 

51 minutes ago, GreatStrike said:

ushing literally (directly) accomplishes a pulling action (reaction). 

I find this concept of "hitting" to be somewhat self defeating. You are advocating  "push" on handle too late in the swing to people who probably already have tension issues in their swing. You are postulating that swingers fire with lead hand dominance throughout and hitters fire with right side throughout too. That's a fanciful generalization. More advanced swings employ both. They use lead side, then trail side, like a two-stage rocket. They may in fact straighten as you suggest but they also initiate arm unfold and generate hand speed much earlier with great aid from lead arm. I understand that if one is just getting on and learning to swing in competent fashion that this may be all easier to work with but in general it's misleading and creates a faulty prism to view all things swing related.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

So, is this horse pulling or pushing? I contend that this horse is only pulling and there is zero pushing.

Pulling Back | The Ultimate Fix | Carson James

So, are these horses pushing or pulling? I contend these horses are pushing into their collars which provides a pulling action to take place. The horses push as a procedure or a system used to pull.  Pushing accomplishes a pulling reaction.  

Draft Horse Pull « Window On The Prairie | Horses, Draft horses, Big horses

Golf Swing related key point: I golfer using a hitting action method golf swing pushes with the trail arm (see image below) as a procedure (of a system) that pulls the golf club in the downstroke. Pushing literally (directly) accomplishes a pulling action (reaction). 

doublePendulum_forces.gif

The horses are pushing into the ground. This is the only external force that breaks the inertia of the internal system equilibrium. Put them at rest on ice and tell them to push into the collar and they'd get nowhere.

Now back to swing / hit golf swing debate.

Edited by Varry_Hardon
Typos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KMeloney said:

Again, I think that GS's theory is that there are specific components to a "swinging" swing, and there are specific components to a "hitting" swing, and that the most efficient (I want to say "best," but we all know that that's not a useful word in these debates) swing will be the result of closely adhering to the criteria of one or the other. He doesn't contend that you can't play golf with a hybrid-of-the-two swing, but that you'd be much better off trying not to blend aspects of each.

If you contend that the best golfers actually employ a hybrid of these two methods, then I think that's a perfectly on-topic argument to make.

@KMeloney - Thank you! You are spot on!

As you know, I have gladly offered my help and advice for golfers that have ask for help with a 'swinging' action golf swing as well as for golfers that have shown interest in a 'hitting' action golf swing. I have given my honest view that in my opinion a 'swinging' action golf swing is far more difficult to learn and to maintain compared to a 'hitting' action golf swing. I have suggested that each method should be given a fair try and to then choose the method that best fits, or to even try a combination of both methods - the latter of which I believe is what most typical amateur golfers almost always try to do, which is almost always a failed approach in my opinion. 

It's been an interesting journey discussing the 'swinging' action golf swing and using Dan Martin's 'The Pro' golf swing training aid to help explain how the golf club must be pulled longitudinally with the lead arm and hand - as if trying to stretch the shaft. And it's clear that very few people find the 'swinging' action method favorable and workable for them. Yet, many people seem to quickly be able to adapt to the 'hitting' action method with quite excellent results and some very favorable feedback comments...       

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

Enough of the Horse sh!!T pulling or pushing analogy, please. 

OK, we Righties, try these with a left hand pull to your left: 

• Nail something into a wall to your left:
  • Crack a whip to your left;
  • Pass a basketball from right to left, holding the basketball entirely in the left hand.
  • Throw a rock to your left; 
  • Hit a tennis ball from the right side to your left:
  • Boxing or fighting, punch/hit someone to your left with the back of your left hand; 
  • in tennis, hit a ball from your right side to your left;
  • Throw a discuss after a wind up from the right side  to your left:
  • Bowl with your left hand from right to left; 
  • Practice Putt with your right hand off of the grip;
  • Hit a bunker shot without your right hand on the grip;
  • Throw a baseball with the back of your left hand toward the teammate to your left.

Bottom Line, a pull from the weakside is not a natural motion. Throwing from the dominant side is a natural, athletic action. 

• Like 2

Driver Ping G425 MAX
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cleveland HALO 3 and 4
Titleist 2019 model T300, 5-P, 48, 53
SW/LW Titleist SM6 58*/8*
Putter  variety

9 minutes ago, metrybill said:

• Pass a basketball from right to left, holding the basketball entirely in the left hand.
  • Boxing or fighting, punch/hit someone to your left with the back of your left hand; 
  • Throw a baseball with the back of your left hand toward the teammate to your left.

Bottom Line, a pull from the weakside is not a natural motion. Throwing from the dominant side is a natural, athletic action. 

What about lefties playing golf from the right side? Not being a smartssa, genuinely curious if that changes anything

10 hours ago, metrybill said:

So let's leave it that way and do nothing about it.

I used to be highly right side dominant, I'm not so much anymore, and it's because it's a dead end to have 1/2 your body so passive.  

11 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

So let's leave it that way and do nothing about it.

I used to be highly right side dominant, I'm not so much anymore, and it's because it's a dead end to have 1/2 your body so passive. 

I've seen advice/instruction where folks have advocated feeling like you take the club back with your left "side," and then have the your right "side" take over the role of the down swing. Where in your swing do you feel like you share the load between your left and right arms?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, metrybill said:

The whole purpose of the 'horse pushing into its collar' analogy was to explain there is a method/technique of using the dominant trail arm to push (actually to unfold and extend straight outward) that will cause the club to pull (and swing) downward in the downstroke without the golfer purposely using his weaker, non-dominant lead arm to do it. 

I believe my analogy actually corresponds perfectly with your thesis that; a pull from the weakside is not a natural motion. Throwing (i.e. pushing) from the dominant side it is a natural, athletic action.   

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

33 minutes ago, Golf_Goof said:

I asked this 2 pages back (I'm right dominant playing from left side). Crickets. 

Yeah, I'd settle for a reply and not a random pseudo question coming from the bleachers "Dave, thank you for this elaborated interrogation on the role of the trail scapula in centripetal force Burke talked about in 1956"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

What about lefties playing golf from the right side? Not being a smartssa, genuinely curious if that changes anything

Is this a question coming from a real person or a random pseudo question? How can we know for sure?

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

1 hour ago, Golf_Goof said:

I asked this 2 pages back (I'm right dominant playing from left side). Crickets. 

Who knows? I sure don't. Phil Is a righty who plays golf lefty. I play hockey lefty although I'm a righty (but I also have a crap slap shot due to my weak left arm -- and a decent wrist shot maybe due to the control at the top of the stick from my right arm). I can also bat both ways -- but when I tried to hit a wedge with a buddy's lefty club one day, I couldn't even make contact with the ball. That was pretty shocking to me.

59 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

I've seen advice/instruction where folks have advocated feeling like you take the club back with your left "side," and then have the your right "side" take over the role of the down swing. Where in your swing do you feel like you share the load between your left and right arms?

On back swing, I feel it's neutral and that arm triangle stays in front of chest and turn of shoulder is dominate. At top, the throw out & down is probably left arm dominant, but right is not passive at all. From P6 on it's all right side. That's intent & feel here for me. Keep in mid swing is only as good as weakest part. Lead side is significant on reset of pressure shift and holding left bend and lead leg handles load of throw down and hip clearance. It's not so much left or right dominance, but more about balance and delegation of power.

Dave Stockton teaches a putting method that is lead hand dominant, I adopted it, and what you find is by shoring up and delegating to weaker it will free dominant to do even better. Same thing in full swing.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

Who knows? I sure don't. Phil Is a righty who plays golf lefty. I play hockey lefty although I'm a righty (but I also have a crap slap shot due to my weak left arm -- and a decent wrist shot maybe due to the control at the top of the stick from my right arm). I can also bat both ways -- but when I tried to hit a wedge with a buddy's lefty club one day, I couldn't even make contact with the ball. That was pretty shocking to me.

I'm a lefty in hockey as well. Didn't pick up a club until I was 20 - but playing from same side felt more natural. I couldn't play golf from right side to save a life.  

• Haha 1

I’m a big fan of the right hand throwing action…and I’ve read most of this thread.  It’s unfortunate it seems to have devolved into an argument for lack of a better word.   From everything I have seen it’s true that the best players in the manage the clubface much better through impact. Mean the clubface generally remains square for a longer period of time.   I can also see how someone that slices the ball may need the mental image of rotating the clubface closed through impact whereas someone who hits a hook and was taught to do so at an early age can benefit more from a throwing action swing thought.  Just my observations…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LKNgolf said:

Mean the clubface generally remains square for a longer period of time.

Square to what? There’s no evidence of this. Better players control the face better at impact but some of the best it’s open to closed very fast (rate of closure).

Not on topic here I think so I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

20 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Haha good call, let’s say I’m Steve from Oregon and I had pm you that question 

I actually have received many PMs asking numerous questions, but you certainly have the right not to believe it.  

Q: "What about lefties playing golf from the right side?"

As I have mentioned before in this lengthy thread,  I happen to be ambidextrous and can play equally well from either side. 

There have been a few that have played on tour. Mac O'Grady is the one I remember the most. It has been said that Rory McIlroy is ambidextrous and Bryson DeChambeau is deeply-ambidextrous, but I've never seen or known either of them to display it.   

I can throw (pitch) a baseball, spiral a football, kick and bat equally well with either side, but there is one thing I absolutely cannot do with my left - I cannot use a pen or pencil and write legibly. I really have zero ability to write with my left. It's a complete block in my mind how I should even begin to go about trying to do it. Writing left handed is just not meant to be done, not by me anyway...     

Someone else that is ambidextrous is Shawn Clements. I ran into Shawn in Dallas years ago when he was giving one of his group lessons to about 20 people and he asked me to hit a few shots for his group and Shawn and I both hit a few shots from each side - as a lefty using one of his students' left-handed clubs. As for Shawn - don't ever doubt Shawn's knowledge about the golf swing and his deep interest in teaching. Shawn oftentimes has a very unique and fun, unforgettable way of getting a swing point across to his students... He's a top notch guy!  

A: Because I am ambidextrous I am probably not the best to answer your question. But, it certainly makes sense that a lefty playing from the right side would have a considerable advantage in both strength and dexterity coordination and control compared to a righty playing from the right side which is the case with the vast majority of amateur golfers. But I really have no way of knowing if its an advantage. I just don't know if a person's brain can automatically discern and allow that lefty-playing-righty individual the biomechanical freedom to use his dominate arm the way most people would think he should be able to use it to his advantage. So much of what we as humans can do athletic-wise is DNA related but I think a lot is deeply intertwined in our brains. So, I just don't have a clear answer for you...    

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

On 5/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, iacas said:

Do you teach, @GreatStrike, or just talk about TGM stuff here?

No, I do not teach. With my competitive playing days in the past I will sometimes oblige a friend from time-to-time in special circumstances.  

The reason I sometimes use TGM related terminology is because most people here seem to understand or can relate to the common TGM terms and I feel it saves me from having to make lengthy explanations at times.   

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

4 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

Is this a question coming from a real person or a random pseudo question? How can we know for sure?

First I've read this thread, but that's me.  A lefty playing right-handed. (Used golf equipment for lefties was pretty much unavailable and I was broke.) 

I have had a problem with getting my right hand to rotate counter-clockwise in the release.  My left hand is where I have most of my feeling for where the face is, where the head is, etc...

8 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

First I've read this thread, but that's me.  A lefty playing right-handed. (Used golf equipment for lefties was pretty much unavailable and I was broke.) 

I have had a problem with getting my right hand to rotate counter-clockwise in the release.  My left hand is where I have most of my feeling for where the face is, where the head is, etc...

Tough to relate to individual feels, but from this, wouldn't be easier for you to feel your left forearm supinating, coming into impact, with your left wrist staying flexed (even though it'll be extending from the momentum of the club)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 1:46 PM, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

@Jayjay_theweim_guy - The typical right-handed amateur golfer that is usually taught (instructed) that his lead forearm must rotate almost 90 degrees and his lead wrist must remain flat and somehow must also square the clubface will almost always struggle with their release. Is there any wonder why? They usually find out they are fighting a losing battle (that cannot be won) between allowing the lead wrist freedom to release (snap if you will ) and to also square the clubface. That's a problem for nearly every amateur golfer.

If you have ever snapped a damp towel or snapped a bullwhip you've probably wondered what it would be like to harness that tremendous energy in the clubhead of your golf club when making a golf swing. You when snap that towel or bullwhip your wrist is able to freely release like a swivel joint. The wrist is not held in any firm position. The forearm is not purposely rotated. There is absolutely no intentional roll or rotation counter-clockwise of the hand/wrist/forearm in the release to snap that towel or bullwhip, is there? The lead wrist in a sound golf swing must be able to freely release in order to generate the clubhead speed you are capable of achieving. The golf club must be able to get from one side of the hands to the other side of the hands quickly with the kind of snap speed that only a freely-moving ball-bearing loose swivel lead wrist joint can provide.

All this probably makes you wonder - how do you obtain that freely-moving ball-bearing loose swivel lead wrist joint and still control the clubface for square contact and maximum compression? And, how do you also control loft with shaft lean with that freely-moving ball-bearing loose swivel lead wrist joint?  And, how do you keep from gouging the clubhead into the ground a foot behind the ball? And, how do you prevent the clubface from being wide open or dead shut and hitting the ball 45 degrees off line? 

The answers to those questions lie in how you hold (grip) the club, and not with just the lead hand but with the trail hand too. Equally important is how (and where) the trail hand's lifeline applies pressure to the lead hand's thumb. When the two hands work together with equally opposing forces in the backstroke it sets up a condition to use the trail arm and hand very similar to how it would be used when snapping a bullwhip - in which the trail arm is straightened 'straight outward' from the shoulder by using the tricep...and the right hand's lifeline applying thrust push force onto the base of the lead hand's thumb.  This drives the golf club in an arc controlled by the radius of the left arm which is extended out straight by way of the pushing outward force of the right arm against the left thumb. Maybe you can visualize how this trail arm driving outward onto the base of the lead hand's thumb allows the the lead wrist to remain totally flexible and swivel-like loose to 'release' with unencumbered freedom much like the arm action needed to snap a bullwhip. 

Golf instruction has always put too much emphasis on the left side (arm, forearm, wrist, hand) to control and to power the golf swing - so much left side emphasis that most handicap golfers can't even get their lower body to react in an athletic way to get onto their left side. It's common to see amateurs throw their body weight to their left leg in an effort to 'post up'. But give them a baseball to pitch with their right arm and suddenly their lower body moves naturally and athletically to post up. And, they don't need to be told their wrist needs to be free to release to generate good ball speed. Yet they can't adopt those same favorable conditions for their left side when swinging a golf club. Right side dominant golfers should be using their right side dominance to power their golf swing and to influence and control their more passive left side. 

You may have seen the old Mike Austin video where he substitutes a rope for his left arm to demonstrate how he keeps the rope (i.e. his left arm) straight by pushing straight outward with his right arm using his tricep. Imagine how that taught yet flexible rope would act like a free-moving swivel in the release phase. Mike Austin emphasized using his right side, not the left side, to make a golf swing.              

You may have seen Paul Wilson of Paul Wilson Golf talk a lot about loose wrists versus tight wrists. Martin Chuck and Shawn Clement too.   

For a right arm dominant golfer swinging a golf club as a right-hander, it is the lead or left wrist that must perform with the action of a wrist joint much like that is used to snap a towel or bullwhip. The trail or right hand and wrist is fully capable of delivering a square clubface with the desired loft while the lead wrist releases freely. With this type of golf swing you should feel the right hand/wrist wanting to rotate half a turn automatically as the push pressure is applied to the base of the lead thumb, with the lead wrist free to move as the club's weight and momentum dictates.                                   

Watch this Padraig Harrington video as he explains the importance of wrist action - especially the lead wrist being active.  While his lead wrist is free to swivel he controls the clubface and the loft with influence from his right hand.  

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography
  • Thanks 1

Delong - Think about how  you would accomplish the following assignment:

1 - You must find a way to maintain a totally passive lead (left) wrist joint that is able to swivel by way of the weight and momentum of the golf club that you grip with your lead (left) hand.

2- You must find a way or method of using your trail (right) arm and hand to power the golf club with speed/energy/force that also delivers a square clubface at impact and also delivers an appropriate amount of shaft lean to deloft the clubface to accommodate the shot trajectory you desire.

If you can accomplish 1 & 2 you have what it takes for an exquisitely sound golf swing. However, if you try making the lead side do what the trail side is to do , or the trail side do what the lead side is to do, or some combination thereof; it will not work out well...      

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

TerryB - Whenever you try to square the clubface by purposely doing any form of manipulation you drastically reduce clubhead speed by restricting or prolonging the passive quick snap action release that is needed for decent clubhead speed. 

You just can't imagine how much delay and stall is infused into the golf swing 'release' when you purposely manipulate or cause an intentional movement to happen. The reason why is because to manipulate or cause an intentional movement to happen requires contracting one or more of your muscles. Contracting a muscle is the tightening, shortening, or lengthening of muscles when you do some type of activity.

If you purposely manipulate or intentionally cause a movement to happen, that activity requires muscle contraction, and that muscle contraction will abruptly bog down speed and will likely totally disrupt the intended movement.      

Think about and consider if you are guilty of 'purposely using muscle contraction' to perform any of the following actions or conditions at any point in your downstroke:  

Rotating the lead forearm to square the clubface

Rolling the lead wrist to square the clubface

Arching or bowing the lead wrist to descending attack angle

Arching or bowing the lead wrist to promote shaft lean or to alter loft

Attempting to maintain a flat lead wrist

Straightening the lead arm

Firming up the lead arm in preparation for impact

Firming up the lead arm in preparation to hit against it with the right       

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

• 2 weeks later...

@Jayjay_theweim_guy - I'll give you something to think about that will hopefully help you. 

Considering that we golfers grip or hold the golf club with both hands it would probably make good [common] sense to most people that if our goal is to swing the golf club (actually the clubhead) toward the target (or the ball) that we should use whatever force we can muster-up from each hand/arm to drive it in the direction we want it to go. Think about how a dual-motor Tesla EV car uses both its motors 'at the same time' to propel the EV car in the direction the driver wants it to go with combined power from both its motors. Well, that technological advancement may apply to dual-motor EV vehicles, but it does not apply to swinging a golf club. Let me explain. 

The golf swing is difficult to learn,  but is made more difficult because we hold (grip) the golf club and power the swing using both hands/arms.  We must learn how to use both hands/arms in a way that might not make sense for most people. If we were to use both our hands and arms equally in order to swing or drive the club in the direction we want it to go - our natural athletic tendency is really not geared for that to happen. It would be like walking while swinging your arms in the same direction. That's actually difficult to do! In fact it actually feels really strange doing it and likely will throw your off balance a little,  but of course our bodies are pretty good at recovering from being off-balance and disguising it. Yet, amateur golfers typically will try to swing and power their golf swing using both hands/arms moving in the same direction. This usually causes a weak wiping or slapping impact action with an open clubface. The club is usually held with a death grip and the club doesn't have a meaningful 'release' where the club quickly gets from one side of the golfer's two hands to the other side of his two hands. So, how should it be done? The answer is rather simple - the hands must provide opposing force. Opposing force should be your friend from the moment you start the backstroke and throughout the downstroke to the flash action of the release which to your amazement will become automatic.

The grip method used must have the lifeline of the trail hand placed on the base of the lead hand's thumb whereby a straightening trail arm maintains a straight lead arm and straightening the trail arm is responsible for powering the golf swing.  When you get it right, the golf swing becomes naturally easy and remarkably repetitive and the results, mind-boggling.  

I hope this helps...      

Edited by GreatStrike
  • Like 1