2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you throw or twist?

On 3/16/2024 at 2:15 PM, virtuoso said:

Good grief, I picked the things above that I like to do. I like to twist my torso against my right leg going back, and then I make a big slide back to the left to set up a lead leg post up, and then when I do that, I throw my right hand at it like wild hyena. I definitely do like to do a slide and flip, but I prefer that to all spin and hold off the face stuff.

@virtuoso - You've provided a good reason why I am an advocate of the 'hitting' method for most aspiring golfers - it is because the 'hitting' method encompasses some of the major conditions or elements that 'swingers' nearly always have major trouble with, or are never ever able to achieve. Yet they are conditions that are absolutely necessary (must-have) if the 'swinging' golfer is to have much success and progress. 

For example, the 'hitting' method demands relatively only a few elements: shaft lean, delofting the clubface and maintaining a bent-back trail wrist - all of which are quite easy for 'hitting' golfers to learn but are extremely troubling for 'swinging' golfers to acquire in their golf swing. Even a proper backstroke for the 'hitter' is easy to learn because it actually contains a principal facet of the hitter's full golf swing, unlike with the 'swinging' golfer because the backstroke is typically a one arm unstructured, weak, wavering in space carryback movement performed by the non-dominant lead arm and a lackadaisical weak lead wrist.

The 'swinger' has a lot of collateral things to manage - things such as: the pivot, shoulder turn, lead wrist c0ck, sustaining lead wrist c0ck, the release or uncocking of the lead wrist, the roll, twist or swivel of the lead arm and wrist to square the clubface, incorporating ample shaft lean and delofting the clubface through the impact zone for good compression and desired trajectory. The 'hitter' simply is not vexed with all that!           

Here are some questions to ponder: 

What percentage of amateur golfers can't figure out how to obtain shaft lean?

What percentage of amateur golfers can't maintain a bent-back trail wrist and end up flipping? 

What percentage of amateur golfers swing over-the-top or have an out-to-in clubhead path with an open clubface?

What percentage of amateur golfers suffer early extension?

What percentage of amateur golfers are unable to square the clubface through impact most of the time?

What percentage of amateur golfers are unable to make contact precisely on the sweet spot? 

What percentage of amateur golfers lack solid contact and don't compress the ball as they should?

What percentage of amateur golfers lack distance they feel they should have?

What percentage of amateur golfers can't figure out how to acquire a good athletic kinematic sequence?

What percentage of amateur golfers can't stay balanced throughout their swing and pose for a picture in the follow-through?

The answer to ALL the above questions is - by and large almost every amateur golfer that follows customary golf swing advice that proposes a 'swinging' centrifugal golf swing method.      

Best of luck figuring out how to be a successful 'swinger' with the non-dominant side!  By the looks and the results of most, it ain't easy...

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

11 hours ago, virtuoso said:

@GreatStrike, do you use the hitting method yourself? Can you demonstrate what that looks like? It seems that it will look weird with no shoulder turn or pivot action….like it will almost be just an arm slap with no power.

@virtuoso - I can use either method, as being ambidextrous helps me to make that possible. However, a trail side swing is much easier to accomplish because the golfer does not have to contend with a swinger's delicate pivot and slinging the lead arm via rotation.  

But to be clear and to hopefully help you to better understand - regardless whether I'm striking golf balls as a righty or lefty - it is my trail arm (right arm when playing righty and left arm when playing lefty) that I just naturally use to push-out against the big knuckle of the lead hand in order to keep the lead arm firm and straight, and to straighten the slightly bent trail arm from its top of backswing position like a piston to drive the arms/club structure in a curved circular arc motion downswing.    

I think you are misunderstanding how the right (trail) arm for a dominant right handed golfer is used. I think you are incorrectly under the impression the right (trail) arm is somehow to solely swing the golf club with only minimal help or connected structure from the left (lead) arm. That is not how the right (trail) arm is used in a sound golf swing. 

The first thing you must understand is that the right (trail) arm is fully and entirely responsible for keeping the left (lead) arm firmly straight. For a dominant right hand golfer, trying to keep the left arm firm and straight is difficult. Making a backswing with the left arm is difficult for right handers. This is a problem that is rarely dealt with by typical golf instructors that teach the conventional lead-side golf swing. 

Maybe an analogy of sorts will help click with you. If the golfer's left (lead) arm is not firmly straight, the structure consisting of both arms (with the club) actually becomes weak and likely collapses and is thus unable to move with the stability and purpose it needs. Put another way - for a weight to be swung on the end of string - the string must be taut (a.k.a. under a tension). A string lacking tension cannot swing a weight! An attempt to swing a weight with any slack in the string is jerky at the very best, and the action becomes totally discombobulated very quickly.

If you have ever been water skiing you know what happens if the ski rope becomes slack. You also know the thrill and increased speed when skiing in a curved motion arc. Both these analogies can relate to some extent to a our golf swing.    

If you were tasked with getting a weight on the end of a string to swing around in a circle I bet you would start the swinging action by removing any slack in the string, right? Once you get the weight swinging I bet you can sense the string is being tensioned, maybe to the degree the string might even break. 

Can you understand that a string with slack (i.e. lacking tautness) cannot swing a weight effectively in an orbit (e.g. circular arc)? If so, this brings us to how the use of the right (trail) arm is first employed in a sound golf swing. The right (trail) arm pushes out against the left hand's big thumb knuckle to keep the left arm firmly extended out straight (remember the taut string without any slack). This brings on a desirable the backswing move. The right arm will naturally have a slight bend as it brings the arms/club structure to the top of the backswing.

By keeping a sustained (maintained) pushing out force against the big thumb knuckle of the left hand you will have solid well-formed structure that can now be driven into the downswing by extensor action of right (trail) arm triceps acting like a piston to straighten out the slight bend of the right arm. This straightening action of the right (trail) arm drives the two arms and club into a curved circular arc downswing. You'll get a sense of how the left (lead) arm resembles the tensioned string. 

As the arms/club structure is driven in the downswing by the right (trail)arm extension like a piston the golfer's right hand's grip on the club's handle can dictate the degree of shaft lean desired with setting and maintaining a pre-impact right wrist bend. The golfer can also easily control clubface alignment and delofting the clubface for maximum ball compression and ball flight trajectory.   

With the above information I'm hopeful you are able to comprehend how the right (trail) arm serves two purposes - (1) to effectively maintain a straight and tensioned left (lead) arm support section that is required for a swinging action - and (2) to literally drive the straight left (lead) arm along with the golf club and its clubhead into a curved motion circular downswing arc.

This dominant side golf swing method produces a very sound golf swing,. Hopefully now you can see how the dominant side golf swing makes best use of both arms yet uses the golfer's more skilled dominant arm to primarily control its action.    

These videos (below) will hopefully help you...

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

Happy Hi Five GIF by sendwishonline.com 

A big round of applause to all the contributors to this great thread! It has profoundly changed my understanding of golf swing mechanics (pulling vs. pushing) and added important terminology (lag pressure points, extensor action, power accumulators, etc) to my general golf swing knowledge over the last 9 months.

I only took up golf three years ago at the age of 52. Coming from tennis background. Very right-side dominant, right-eye dominant, more muscular than flexible. Took some beginner lessons and got shoe-horned into the swinging golf swing. Never felt comfortable with it, never developed much consistency, never flowed. Stumbled over this thread last year. Followed along - pushing vs. pulling, hitting vs. swinging. Found some other hitting golf swing resources along the way.  

Took this winter break to reset. Adapt to a hitting golf swing. Was suprised how quickly I was able to apply the main points and how natural it felt for me: 1) Impact fix set-up at address with flat left wrist and bend right wrist in a strong grip, 2) right-eye behind the ball, 3) use dominant right arm in a fanning-out motion to bring the left arm up in the backstroke. 4) work the right shoulder down-plane in the downswing, 5) fire the right triceps down-and-out at the aiming point while pushing radially with PP#1, PP#3, 6) let the upper body passively pivot the lower body, 7) enjoy the consistent contact and the straight ball flight. 

What eludes me at the moment to round my understanding and application of  pushing/hitting golf swing is the weight/pressure shift. With my impact fix set-up, I have the left leg already weighted much more than in my previous swinging golf swing set-up. I turn into my right-heel right butt-cheek and then just *fire" down-and-out thru my delivery line at the aiming point. Feel that I push off the right ankle/roll the right ankle to get to my left side to shift pressure, then snap my left knee back a bit to extend the right arm through the ball and "hit". 

However, is that the right approach for a hitting golf swing? Or do the weight/pressure shift tenets from the swinging golf swing apply to the hitting golf swing? aka shift pressure to left leg before finishing the backstroke, "fall" into the left side and start the downswing with hip rotation ? What are the core principles in a hitting golf swing to minimize power/speed leaks? 

Again - great thread and i hope to glean a few more insights that could help *push* this old guy to shoot in the low 90s by the end of the 2024 golf season. 

Edited by DTM14

10 minutes ago, DTM14 said:

Happy Hi Five GIF by sendwishonline.com 

A big round of applause to all the contributors to this great thread! It has profoundly changed my understanding of golf swing mechanics (pulling vs. pushing) and added important terminology (lag pressure points, extensor action, power accumulators, etc) to my general golf swing knowledge over the last 9 months.

I only took up golf three years ago at the age of 52. Coming from tennis background. Very right-side dominant, right-eye dominant, more muscular than flexible. Took some beginner lessons and got shoe-horned into the swinging golf swing. Never felt comfortable with it, never developed much consistency, never flowed. Stumbled over this thread last year. Followed along - pushing vs. pulling, hitting vs. swinging. Found some other hitting golf swing resources along the way.  

Took this winter break to reset. Adapt to a hitting golf swing. Was suprised how quickly I was able to apply the main points and how natural it felt for me: 1) Impact fix set-up at address with flat left wrist and bend right wrist in a strong grip, 2) right-eye behind the ball, 3) use dominant right arm in a fanning-out motion to bring the left arm up in the backstroke. 4) work the right shoulder down-plane in the downswing, 5) fire the right triceps down-and-out at the aiming point while pushing radially with PP#1, PP#3, 6) let the upper body passively pivot the lower body, 7) enjoy the consistent contact and the straight ball flight. 

What eludes me at the moment to round my understanding and application of  pushing/hitting golf swing is the weight/pressure shift. With my impact fix set-up, I have the left leg already weighted much more than in my previous swinging golf swing set-up. I turn into my right-heel right butt-cheek and then just *fire" down-and-out thru my delivery line at the aiming point. Feel that I push off the right ankle/roll the right ankle to get to my left side to shift pressure, then snap my left knee back a bit to extend the right arm through the ball and "hit". 

However, is that the right approach for a hitting golf swing? Or do the weight/pressure shift tenets from the swinging golf swing apply to the hitting golf swing? aka shift pressure to left leg before finishing the backstroke, "fall" into the left side and start the downswing with hip rotation ? What are the core principles in a hitting golf swing to minimize power/speed leaks? 

Again - great thread and i hope to glean a few more insights that could help *push* this old guy to shoot in the low 90s by the end of the 2024 golf season. 

@DTM14 - Your impact fix address position should be evenly balanced on both feet. Don't intentionally try to shift weight or pressure - it should happen naturally the same as if you were tossing your golf carry bag's strap on your shoulder. I don't recommend turning into the right heel - just the ball of your foot. 

It sounds like things are starting to click for you and you're experiencing some favorable results that were not happening previously. The more you practice, the more you'll find little things to tweak.

For example; I recall one fellow that found he has gotten into a habit of moving his right hand slightly lower (thinking he could get his dominant right hand a bit closer to the impact action) - this caused him to apply his right hand lifeline pressure an inch or so too low on his left thumb - which caused him some confusion with over-drawing shots and not getting quite the half roll of his clubface through impact. As soon as he moved his right hand lifeline pressure back up to the big knuckle of the left thumb his swing was back where he wanted it. What he had done was - he had moved his right hand lifeline pressure point slightly down his thumb below what is called the 'coupling point'.

Wishing you continued good progress... 👍   

23 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

@virtuoso - You've provided a good reason why I am an advocate of the 'hitting' method for most aspiring golfers - it is because the 'hitting' method encompasses some of the major conditions or elements that 'swingers' nearly always have major trouble with, or are never ever able to achieve. Yet they are conditions that are absolutely necessary (must-have) if the 'swinging' golfer is to have much success and progress. 

For example, the 'hitting' method demands relatively only a few elements: shaft lean, delofting the clubface and maintaining a bent-back trail wrist - all of which are quite easy for 'hitting' golfers to learn but are extremely troubling for 'swinging' golfers to acquire in their golf swing. Even a proper backstroke for the 'hitter' is easy to learn because it actually contains a principal facet of the hitter's full golf swing, unlike with the 'swinging' golfer because the backstroke is typically a one arm unstructured, weak, wavering in space carryback movement performed by the non-dominant lead arm and a lackadaisical weak lead wrist.

The 'swinger' has a lot of collateral things to manage - things such as: the pivot, shoulder turn, lead wrist c0ck, sustaining lead wrist c0ck, the release or uncocking of the lead wrist, the roll, twist or swivel of the lead arm and wrist to square the clubface, incorporating ample shaft lean and delofting the clubface through the impact zone for good compression and desired trajectory. The 'hitter' simply is not vexed with all that!           

Here are some questions to ponder: 

What percentage of amateur golfers can't figure out how to obtain shaft lean?

What percentage of amateur golfers can't maintain a bent-back trail wrist and end up flipping? 

What percentage of amateur golfers swing over-the-top or have an out-to-in clubhead path with an open clubface?

What percentage of amateur golfers suffer early extension?

What percentage of amateur golfers are unable to square the clubface through impact most of the time?

What percentage of amateur golfers are unable to make contact precisely on the sweet spot? 

What percentage of amateur golfers lack solid contact and don't compress the ball as they should?

What percentage of amateur golfers lack distance they feel they should have?

What percentage of amateur golfers can't figure out how to acquire a good athletic kinematic sequence?

What percentage of amateur golfers can't stay balanced throughout their swing and pose for a picture in the follow-through?

The answer to ALL the above questions is - by and large almost every amateur golfer that follows customary golf swing advice that proposes a 'swinging' centrifugal golf swing method.      

Best of luck figuring out how to be a successful 'swinger' with the non-dominant side!  By the looks and the results of most, it ain't easy...

By Extensor Action, do you mean the tension of the extensor muscles of the right lower arm ?

Since the extensor muscles create centripetal force, we will use our right arm strongly

There is a lot of content written @GreatStrike, so it takes time to read

Edited by ShimJoonW

2 minutes ago, ShimJoonW said:

By Extensor Action, do you mean the tension of the extensor muscles of the right lower arm ?

Since the extensor muscles create centripetal force, we will use your right arm strongly

There is a lot of content written, so it takes time to read

No, not the lower arm.

Extensor action extends or straightens the arm. You don't make that happen with your lower arm. To extend your arm you use your arm's triceps.  

This video should help you to understand right arm extensor action.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ShimJoonW said:

No, he just means you "extend" your right arm to keep the left straight.

He's a The Golfing Machine advocate, despite the fact that Homer Kelley died about four decades ago and we've learned a LOT since then.

• Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

3 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

No, not the lower arm.

Extensor action extends or straightens the arm. You don't make that happen with your lower arm. To extend your arm you use your arm's triceps.  

This video should help you to understand right arm extensor action.

Thanks, I understand it well

Thank you for the appropriate explanation

• Like 1

Thankfully, @GreatStrike, @iacas Instructors answered. It is an honor

According to the answer,

Extensor Action is understood as the action needed to create a uniform radius in order to create a centrifugal force swing in the left arm pivot (see Fig1)

What is the difference from the method of going down by creating a constant radius that makes the centripetal force using the right arm pivot (see Fig2) ㅡ in my case

Thank you in Advance

Fig 

Screenshot_20240321_133840_Chrome.jpg.7a492c18269b423cbf3e345ddf997c1c.jpgScreenshot_20240321_134135_Chrome.jpg.9f918e115bd7f905a684c7e8a7e15aa6.jpg

Edited by ShimJoonW

@ShimJoonW, my advice is to basically skip over or ignore anything TGM-related. It’s decades old and while occasionally useful (I like the bit about practicing the right motion even if you miss the ball until you no longer miss the ball), it’s vastly out of date.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

8 hours ago, ShimJoonW said:

Thankfully, @GreatStrike, @iacas Instructors answered. It is an honor

According to the answer,

Extensor Action is understood as the action needed to create a uniform radius in order to create a centrifugal force swing in the left arm pivot 

What is the difference from the method of going down by creating a constant radius that makes the centripetal force using the right arm pivot 

Thank you in Advance

Whenever you create centrifugal force you also create centripetal force, each having the same amount of force. Centrifugal force is center-fleeing (moving away from body center) and centripetal force is center-seeking (moving toward body center). To have one, you must have the other...  

Over the years a 'swinging' golf swing has been defined by some as a centrifugal force or Cf swing whereas a 'hitting' golf swing has been defined as a centripetal force of Cp swing. The reasoning why is because a golfer with a 'swinging' golf swing has his clubhead moving away from his body center whereas a golfer with a 'hitting' golf swing does not. It's more difficult to control something that is fleeing or moving away from you.

A 'swinging' golf swing has always been difficult for golfers because of its center-fleeing (moving away from body center) aspect. A 'swinging' golf swing with its center-fleeing aspect 'naturally' brings about all the various problems most every amateur golfer becomes frustrated and dumbfounded about and seeks answers to fix - e.g. casting, early release, open clubface at impact, unable to square clubface at impact, high and weak shots, flipping, over-the-top outside-in swing path, can't produce shaft lean, missing sweet spot on clubface, fat shots, minimally compressing ball, lack of distance, poor balance, poor kinematic sequence. I'm quite sure most all handicap amateur golfers are very familiar with each and every one of these problems...  

Once you ponder how a human body must move and perform to create a center-fleeing centrifugal force golf swing you begin to understand its drawbacks. And, when you further ponder how a golf club reacts and behaves to a center-fleeing centrifugal force condition you begin to understand why you have all those various problems mentioned above. It should not be a mystery why it happens!   

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

1 hour ago, iacas said:

@ShimJoonW, my advice is to basically skip over or ignore anything TGM-related. It’s decades old and while occasionally useful (I like the bit about practicing the right motion even if you miss the ball until you no longer miss the ball), it’s vastly out of date.

I did not  know about TGM and Extensor action
I only heard that it is difficult to decipher

Nevertheless, my  golf swing was changed after making  two circles and it became a turning point

I did not  know  about the accurate reason until now

Again,,,
I am thank you for explaining Extensor Action today

1 hour ago, GreatStrike said:

Whenever you create centrifugal force you also create centripetal force, each having the same amount of force. Centrifugal force is center-fleeing (moving away from body center) and centripetal force is center-seeking (moving toward body center). To have one, you must have the other...  

Over the years a 'swinging' golf swing has been defined by some as a centrifugal force or Cf swing whereas a 'hitting' golf swing has been defined as a centripetal force of Cp swing. The reasoning why is because a golfer with a 'swinging' golf swing has his clubhead moving away from his body center whereas a golfer with a 'hitting' golf swing does not. It's more difficult to control something that is fleeing or moving away from you.

A 'swinging' golf swing has always been difficult for golfers because of its center-fleeing (moving away from body center) aspect. A 'swinging' golf swing with its center-fleeing aspect 'naturally' brings about all the various problems most every amateur golfer becomes frustrated and dumbfounded about and seeks answers to fix - e.g. casting, early release, open clubface at impact, unable to square clubface at impact, high and weak shots, flipping, over-the-top outside-in swing path, can't produce shaft lean, missing sweet spot on clubface, fat shots, minimally compressing ball, lack of distance, poor balance, poor kinematic sequence. I'm quite sure most all handicap amateur golfers are very familiar with each and every one of these problems...  

Once you ponder how a human body must move and perform to create a center-fleeing centrifugal force golf swing you begin to understand its drawbacks. And, when you further ponder how a golf club reacts and behaves to a center-fleeing centrifugal force condition you begin to understand why you have all those various problems mentioned above. It should not be a mystery why it happens!   

As you answered, I also know that centripetal force and centrifugal force must be one pair according to the principle of action and reaction

However, I am also curious as to why the pivot position is different

It is estimated based on the time difference or phase angle difference due to dynamic movement, but it is just a guess

Thank you for your help

Please understand that I am not good at English

50 minutes ago, ShimJoonW said:

As you answered, I also know that centripetal force and centrifugal force must be one pair according to the principle of action and reaction

However, I am also curious as to why the pivot position is different

It is estimated based on the time difference or phase angle difference due to dynamic movement, but it is just a guess

Thank you for your help

Please understand that I am not good at English

I am very impressed by your skills in english. It is quite amazing for someone who is not a native english speaker.

• Haha 1

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

@GreatStrike I had a thought last night and wanted to run it by you. Every time I do the push force with the right hand, I cast and flip...and my pivot stalls. I had an epiphany. What if, instead of pushing out with the right hand to maintain tension in the arms, I pulled inward with the left arm? It should work the same, no? Now I can maintain tautness without all the casting you see with the hitters.

I finally got that Diva guy to respond to me. He looks like a swinger to me, but he said he actually pushes out a lot...but always pushes outward with his right hand in the opposite direction of his foot pressure trace direction. He pushes downward when the foot pressure trace spikes more vertical. Always opposites I guess. Not sure about that voodoo. He said that's all he'll tell me. Pretty rude actually.

• Haha 3

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

3 hours ago, virtuoso said:

@GreatStrike I had a thought last night and wanted to run it by you. Every time I do the push force with the right hand, I cast and flip...and my pivot stalls.

I had an epiphany. What if, instead of pushing out with the right hand to maintain tension in the arms, I pulled inward with the left arm? It should work the same, no? Now I can maintain tautness without all the casting you see with the hitters.

@virtuoso - I'm afraid you've got things all scrambled and tangled up. Hitters are much less likely to cast than swingers!

In fact, a 'hitting' protocol actually totally eliminates and prevents casting and flipping - as long as you can maintain your right wrist bend you set at address through impact. The 'hitting' golfer sets and maintains the degree of forward shaft lean he wants at impact with his right wrist bend and the left wrist then naturally holds firm. The right wrist really doesn't uncock or release or break down or flip in any way until post impact - it is held firm with only a half roll through the impact zone, thus no casting or flipping can take place...        

If you are casting and flipping and stalling you're doing something all wrong with your right arm and maybe your right shoulder and almost certainly your right wrist bend (for desired forward shaft lean) is not being maintained through impact. 

Your idea to pull inward with your left arm! No! What you do is 'resist' with an equal opposing force to the pushing out force - not pulling in with more force than is pushing out. That should be obvious and self-explanatory!

Literally pulling inward with more force than is pushing outward would cause both arms to bend, defeating the purpose of the technique entirely. Also, think what would happen if you were swinging a weight around on the end of a tensioned string and the weight somehow started moving inward toward you.  You'd have slack - total lack of tension. 

With all the videos demonstrating how the right arm extensor works and it's actual purpose, along with full swings using the technique - you should be able to figure out what you're problem is.

I've really never come across anyone that was unable to fully understand it and make at least a reasonably sound golf swing using the technique. Maybe your wild hyena golf swing you described took over control!   

Hopefully this video will give you a better understanding of what maintaining the bend angle of the right wrist does to provide forward shaft lean through impact, which allows you to maximally compress the golf ball.

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

5 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

Yeah, the guy keeps ignoring my questions.

Why do you believe he has a duty to respond to your questions?

Ignoring your questions is his prerogative and doing so doesn't make him rude or mean. Maybe he's busy with personal matters or his family and doesn't have time for others, especially people he doesn't even know.  Dontcha think maybe?   

Just now, virtuoso said:

@GreatStrike Wow, I tried pulling inward with the left arm and I had a MASSIVE chicken wing with the left arm coming through impact. I'll never try that again. 

Of course you did! I'm surprised you didn't expect that to happen. Well, I'm really not surprised... 

22 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

@DTM14 - Your impact fix address position should be evenly balanced on both feet. Don't intentionally try to shift weight or pressure - it should happen naturally the same as if you were tossing your golf carry bag's strap on your shoulder. I don't recommend turning into the right heel - just the ball of your foot. 

Wishing you continued good progress... 👍   

@GreatStrike

Thank you for your insight with regards to shifting weight or pressue - letting it happen naturally seems more uncomplicated mechanically speaking. And that is what I am currently experiencing vs a swinging golf swing. 

I would appreciate a bit more detail on your recommendation for turning into just the ball of the foot vs the right heel. Why? What's different turning into the ball of the foot than the heel for a hitting golf swing? Plane line? Delivery line?  

8 minutes ago, DTM14 said:

@GreatStrike

I would appreciate a bit more detail on your recommendation for turning into just the ball of the foot vs the right heel. Why? What's different turning into the ball of the foot than the heel for a hitting golf swing? Plane line? Delivery line?  

You're making far too much out of where on your foot you should feel the most pressure. I really can't imagine when or why anyone would turn into their heel to make any type of athletic move...  

• Like 1