2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you throw or twist?

On 3/12/2024 at 9:12 PM, virtuoso said:

What are the buzz words I need to watch out for to determine if a teacher or YouTube guy is teaching lead side domination?

Not necessarily buzz words, but instructions indicating a lead side centrifugal force swinging action...

Pivot based torso rotation

Full shoulder turn

Pull with lead arm

Passive arms-shoulders

Loose wrist action

Soft hands

Lead leg post up

Sequenced release - with lead arm remaining in contact with chest until flung off  

Clubhead throws out from momentum 

Full roll of lead forearm 

Lead side arm/hand controls swing path, squares the clubface, shaft lean (delofting clubface) and powers the swing

An instructor teaching a lead side centrifugal force swinging action will be in a predicament to offer the student an effective way to prevent from casting the club and releasing early, both being elements of a lead side centrifugal force swinging action which is a center-fleeing (outward moving) condition. This centrifugal force, center-fleeing (away from center) swinging action is what causes the 'swinging' golfer's lead wrist c0ck to be difficult to sustain.  In contrast a golfer with a centripetal force (center-seeking) golf swing isn't bothered with these problems. The 'hitting' or centripetal golf swing method can be thought of as swinging a weight in a curved (center-seeking) motion, not swinging it away from center with the weight moving outwards. 

It's important to understand that centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a curved path or orbit. In a golf swing, it is the force that allows the club to stay on its circular path and generate power. When an object is pulled on a 'curved path' it provides a powerful, balanced and controlled sensation for most people. The reason why it feels powerful is because as the object maintains its circular or curved path there is a definite transfer of energy from within the golfer's body.  Without centripetal force, the club would fly off in a straight line, resulting in a poor shot which to some extent is what happens to golfers with poor golf swings. 

When an individual swings a weight in a curved motion I think most people performing this action feels a sensation that comes from their body center. This satisfying sensation is prompted by a steady and well balanced athletic posture - similar to what you see when watching someone using centripetal force to perform a hammer throw. The reason why is because the swing is center-seeking. In contrast however, a center-fleeing (moving away from body center) swing often throws the person performing the action off-balance. Maybe you can imagine someone trying to perform a hammer throw with an intentional center-fleeing, centrifugal action. That person would fail at creating a swinging action and their balance would be atrocious. If you experience being thrown off-balance in the latter stages of your golf swing or see this happening to other golfers - you can be assured a centrifugal force 'swinging' action golf swing is their interpretation for how to swing a golf club!

Amateur golfers are often troubled with an open clubface at impact and fat shots, which are very common results of a centrifugal force 'swinging' action golf swing. The 'center-fleeing' weight of the clubhead wants to move outward away from body center yet the golfer is continuously dumbfounded when he buries his clubhead into the ground inches before the golf ball...unless of course he purposely times his amateurish stand-up move just in time to precisely pull up enough for his clubhead to clear the ground and instead hit a thin shot instead if his typical menacing fat shot.            

As you are probably aware, there are some people who give golf swing advice that refuse to accept that there is both a 'swinging' or centrifugal golf swing and a 'hitting' or centripetal golf swing. They are likely unwilling to accept that centripetal force counteracts centrifugal force and prevents a swinging object from flying outward on a tangent from its swing path. Centripetal force keeps it moving with a uniform speed along a perfect circular path.

Centripetal force is the force that is required for circular motion. Centrifugal force is the force that makes something flee outward from center. Both forces are actually equal, one is center-fleeing and the other is center-seeking.

Simply put, with reference to a golfer swinging a golf club; centripetal force is a force that counteracts centrifugal force and prevents the swinging object from 'flying outward' on a tangent, and instead keeps it moving with a uniform speed along a circular path. If a golfer doesn't know how to - or is unable and fails to keep the swing moving in a curved motion, the action is no longer a swing and it collapses.

The question you should be asking is; which method do you want to use to make a golf swing? 

The centuries old method of swinging a golf club is to swing it with centrifugally with the lead side. If that is your desire, then you'll face dealing with arm and wrist angles being difficult to sustain which kills clubhead speed and totally destroys swing path with the clubhead wanting to flee straight outward on a tangent from its swing arc.        

To the contrary of a lead side centrifugal golf swing - this famous quote (below) may help you make up your mind:

Golf is a right-handed game (for right handers), not a left handed game as some people believe. Hogan was empathetic about that. The right hand controls the position of the clubface, generates the speed, applies the touch, everything. All the left hand does is hold on to the club, and hopefully not break down on the downswing.

Quote by Ken Venturi

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography
  • Haha 1

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

6 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

Not necessarily buzz words, but instructions indicating a lead side centrifugal force swinging action...

Full shoulder turn

Lead leg post up

Good grief, I picked the things above that I like to do. I like to twist my torso against my right leg going back, and then I make a big slide back to the left to set up a lead leg post up, and then when I do that, I throw my right hand at it like wild hyena. I definitely do like to do a slide and flip, but I prefer that to all spin and hold off the face stuff.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

20 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Good grief, I picked the things above that I like to do. I like to twist my torso against my right leg going back, and then I make a big slide back to the left to set up a lead leg post up, and then when I do that, I throw my right hand at it like wild hyena. I definitely do like to do a slide and flip, but I prefer that to all spin and hold off the face stuff.

@virtuoso - Do you really like to do a slide and flip, or has this harmful action just become an engrained tendency or habit in your golf swing?

In a dominant side golf swing there is no all spin and hold off the face, however there is a half-roll of the clubface that some may consider produces a no-roll feel.  

The roll of the lead arm roll and the wide open clubface of the 'swinging' golf swing has caused never-ending troubles for amateur golfers... 

PS - I like your user name and can relate to ISTP traits. 

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

20 hours ago, virtuoso said:

On 3/16/2024 at 9:14 AM, GreatStrike said:

Full shoulder turn

Pull with lead arm

Passive arms-shoulders

Loose wrist action

Soft hands

Lead leg post up

Sequenced release - with lead arm remaining in contact with chest until flung off  

Lead side arm/hand controls swing path, squares the clubface, shaft lean (delofting clubface) and powers the swing

An instructor teaching a lead side centrifugal force swinging action will be in a predicament to offer the student an effective way to prevent from casting the club and releasing early, both being elements of a lead side centrifugal force swinging action which is a center-fleeing (outward moving) condition. This centrifugal force, center-fleeing (away from center) swinging action is what causes the 'swinging' golfer's lead wrist c0ck to be difficult to sustain.  In contrast a golfer with a centripetal force (center-seeking) golf swing isn't bothered with these problems. The 'hitting' or centripetal golf swing method can be thought of as swinging a weight in a curved (center-seeking) motion, not swinging it away from center with the weight moving outwards. 

It's important to understand that centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a curved path or orbit. In a golf swing, it is the force that allows the club to stay on its circular path and generate power. When an object is pulled on a 'curved path' it provides a powerful, balanced and controlled sensation for most people. The reason why it feels powerful is because as the object maintains its circular or curved path there is a definite transfer of energy from within the golfer's body.  Without centripetal force, the club would fly off in a straight line, resulting in a poor shot which to some extent is what happens to golfers with poor golf swings. 

When an individual swings a weight in a curved motion I think most people performing this action feels a sensation that comes from their body center. This satisfying sensation is prompted by a steady and well balanced athletic posture - similar to what you see when watching someone using centripetal force to perform a hammer throw. The reason why is because the swing is center-seeking. In contrast however, a center-fleeing (moving away from body center) swing often throws the person performing the action off-balance. Maybe you can imagine someone trying to perform a hammer throw with an intentional center-fleeing, centrifugal action. That person would fail at creating a swinging action and their balance would be atrocious. If you experience being thrown off-balance in the latter stages of your golf swing or see this happening to other golfers - you can be assured a centrifugal force 'swinging' action golf swing is their interpretation for how to swing a golf club!

Amateur golfers are often troubled with an open clubface at impact and fat shots, which are very common results of a centrifugal force 'swinging' action golf swing. The 'center-fleeing' weight of the clubhead wants to move outward away from body center yet the golfer is continuously dumbfounded when he buries his clubhead into the ground inches before the golf ball...unless of course he purposely times his amateurish stand-up move just in time to precisely pull up enough for his clubhead to clear the ground and instead hit a thin shot instead if his typical menacing fat shot.            

As you are probably aware, there are some people who give golf swing advice that refuse to accept that there is both a 'swinging' or centrifugal golf swing and a 'hitting' or centripetal golf swing. They are likely unwilling to accept that centripetal force counteracts centrifugal force and prevents a swinging object from flying outward on a tangent from its swing path. Centripetal force keeps it moving with a uniform speed along a perfect circular path.

Centripetal force is the force that is required for circular motion. Centrifugal force is the force that makes something flee outward from center. Both forces are actually equal, one is center-fleeing and the other is center-seeking.

Simply put, with reference to a golfer swinging a golf club; centripetal force is a force that counteracts centrifugal force and prevents the swinging object from 'flying outward' on a tangent, and instead keeps it moving with a uniform speed along a circular path. If a golfer doesn't know how to - or is unable and fails to keep the swing moving in a curved motion, the action is no longer a swing and it collapses.

The question you should be asking is; which method do you want to use to make a golf swing? 

The centuries old method of swinging a golf club is to swing it with centrifugally with the lead side. If that is your desire, then you'll face dealing with arm and wrist angles being difficult to sustain which kills clubhead speed and totally destroys swing path with the clubhead wanting to flee straight outward on a tangent from its swing arc.        

To the contrary of a lead side centrifugal golf swing - this famous quote (below) may help you make up your mind:

Golf is a right-handed game (for right handers), not a left handed game as some people believe. Hogan was empathetic about that. The right hand controls the position of the clubface, generates the speed, applies the touch, everything. All the left hand does is hold on to the club, and hopefully not break down on the downswing.

Quote by Ken Venturi

In the Venturi quote, it’s "emphatic” not empathetic! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moehogan said:

In the Venturi quote, it’s "emphatic” not empathetic! 

@moehogan - I'm quite sure you are correct.  I believe Ken Venturi's quote was originally transcribed or copied and edited incorrectly where the word 'empathetic' was used - when I strongly suspect the word "emphatic" was meant to be used. 

That is why I have posted the quote with the bolded correction (see below) more than once in this thread even though I (of course) was not the author, nor the one being quoted:

When I describe a golf shot and gesture with one of my hands, it’s always the right hand I gesture with. That’s because golf is a right-handed game (for right handers), not a left handed game as some people believe. Hogan was empathetic [sic]  [recte: emphatic] about that. The right hand controls the position of the clubface, generates the speed, applies the touch, everything. All the left hand does is hold on to the club, and hopefully not break down on the downswing. 

Quote by Ken Venturi

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

1 hour ago, GreatStrike said:

@moehogan - I'm quite sure you are correct.  I believe Ken Venturi's quote was originally transcribed incorrectly by the author where the word 'empathetic' was used when I strongly suspect the word "emphatic" was meant to be used. 

That is why I have posted the quote with the bolded correction (see below) more than once in this thread even though I (of course) was not the author, nor the one being quoted:

When I describe a golf shot and gesture with one of my hands, it’s always the right hand I gesture with. That’s because golf is a right-handed game (for right handers), not a left handed game as some people believe. Hogan was empathetic [sic]  [recte: emphatic] about that. The right hand controls the position of the clubface, generates the speed, applies the touch, everything. All the left hand does is hold on to the club, and hopefully not break down on the downswing. 

Quote by Ken Venturi

Do you have a reference for that quote?

55 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Do you have a reference for that quote?

I sure do!  Golf Digest, June 30, 2013

The quote is about ¾ down the Golf Digest article about Ken Venturi's golf-related life story 'My Shot' - the quote starts with the words; 'WHEN I DESCRIBE'... 

I hope no one is suggesting that Ken Venturi was wrong about his and Ben Hogan's belief about the golf swing being a right-handed game [for right-handers], not a left-handed game as some people here believe...  

Edited by GreatStrike

6 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

@virtuoso - Do you really like to do a slide and flip, or has this harmful action just become an engrained tendency or habit in your golf swing?

In a dominant side golf swing there is no all spin and hold off the face, however there is a half-roll of the clubface that some may consider produces a no-roll feel.  

The roll of the lead arm roll and the wide open clubface of the 'swinging' golf swing has caused never-ending troubles for amateur golfers... 

PS - I like your user name and can relate to ISTP traits. 

Yeah, I like to almost try to get the left side of my pelvis past my left ankle joint since, with foot flare, the left leg straightening is going to spin the pelvis back behind me. Then I unhinge the wrists, closely followed by a big snap roll of the forearms—both working together. If you do all those things in the right sequence, it makes for a beautiful symphony of motion in the release. It becomes very fluid.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Yeah, I like to almost try to get the left side of my pelvis past my left ankle joint since, with foot flare, the left leg straightening is going to spin the pelvis back behind me. Then I unhinge the wrists, closely followed by a big snap roll of the forearms—both working together. If you do all those things in the right sequence, it makes for a beautiful symphony of motion in the release. It becomes very fluid.

I see a twofold problem with this - first, trying to actually do all those things - and second, trying to do them in the right sequence.  I can see where most golfers would turn your beautiful symphony of motion into a total catastrophic and destructive event.

The double pendulum

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

2 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Yeah, I like to almost try to get the left side of my pelvis past my left ankle joint since, with foot flare, the left leg straightening is going to spin the pelvis back behind me. Then I unhinge the wrists, closely followed by a big snap roll of the forearms—both working together. If you do all those things in the right sequence, it makes for a beautiful symphony of motion in the release. It becomes very fluid.

BEAUTIFUL !!!

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 6:14 AM, GreatStrike said:

Quote by Ken Venturi

To be clear this is Ken Venturi's voice.  It is a quote of Ken Venturi not by Ken Venturi.

This is what Hogan said:

On a full shot you want to hit the ball as hard as you can with your right hand.  But this is only half the story. HIT THE BALL AS HARD AS YOU CAN WITH BOTH HANDS.  The left hand is a power hand too.  If you hit hard with only the right and let the left go to sleep, you will not only lose much valuable power, you also will run into all the errors that result when the right hand overpowers the left.  YOU MUST HIT AS HARD WITH THE LEFT AS WITH THE RIGHT.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

I see a twofold problem with this - first, trying to actually do all those things - and second, trying to do them in the right sequence.  I can see where most golfers would turn your beautiful symphony of motion into a total catastrophic and destructive event.

The double pendulum

Ah, gotcha. So just to be clear, you like my pelvis shift but you think I should take my left hand out of it and just hit with my right hand. Is that correct? 

There are many different ways to use your hands in swing

typical hand use :

1. Left hand only

2. Right hand only

3. Use both left and right hands

Fundamentally, the use of both hands must be used

If you swing with only your right hand, use the snap to supplement your left hand role

When swinging with only the left hand, the left wrist acts as an extension and complements the role of the right hand

If your left and right hands are coupled, you can swing with just your right hand

In order to couple, the hands and arms must be flexible, and when the swing is delivered to the left hand, both arm  become stiff with butterfly hands and strong pressure is applied between the two hands

above is only my thought

I use only right arm and right hand with snap in swing which start from flexible motion and release with stiff and rigid motion

Personally, i think that the swing with right arm and hand has more effective advantage than others

Edited by ShimJoonW

LOL here are some thoughts on lead arm / trail arm focus:
I have done a lot of training swinging lead arm only and also trail arm only.  I have also played thinking of either arm controlling the swing.  Focusing on one or the other can allow the arm that is not focused on to perform better without any mental interference.  I have while training lead arm only swings gotten to the point where I can swing with my trail hand on the club and my trail arm doing nothing which results in a swing similar to the lead arm only swing.  Slower and less likely to strike the ball solidly.  I thought that was rather interesting...

Anyway thinking of the movement of either arm can be effective during the learning phase and might be effective while playing if it can be done in a way that does not interfere with the process.  It's something that is individual and needs to be figured out. 

Obviously neither focus is better for everyone.  Many have had success thinking of the lead side and many have had success thinking of the trial side.  Many more have succeeded thinking of other stuff.   

20 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

The double pendulum

Ok, presumably, you like to see toe up at P6 and then toe up at P8. Are those good checkpoints for looking at swing videos?

I've stumbled on to some guys on you tube and one guy that hits balls at some muni looks like he's doing lead side dominant but with a bit of right hand hit at the last second. His hand almost flies off the club. I've asked him questions but he won't respond...he's being a bit of a diva.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

Screenshotted P8 on the Diva. Is this lead side dominant with some throw?

image.png.e90bd5ae5f1f5977ef618181a69bc763.png

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1

Hopefully these videos explaining extensor action will explain how the dominant right arm is used effectively in a right-handed golfer's golf swing. 

As the golfer pushes against the big knuckle of his left thumb with his right arm his left arm resists this pushing force with an opposing pulling force that perfectly 'equalizes' the two opposing forces. Neither pull or push force overpowers the other. With a slight upper body torso turn, almost like magic this causes an automatic backswing to take place.

Sustaining this exact same equalized push-pull force makes for a sound golf swing. The right arm will bend slightly but the push-out of the right arm will keep the left arm firmly straight. The downswing should begin slow and heavy with the right arm's triceps straightening the slightly bent right arm forcefully like a piston - the right arm straightens straight outward from the right shoulder - like the shoulder is used as a launching pad. The right arm does not extend out toward the target. The right arm straightening literally drives the left arm and the straightening right arm, along with the club as a reinforced structure on a perfectly curved motion swing arc...   

Acquiring a good grip that provides the right arm's push force to be applied from the lifeline of the right hand onto the big thumb knuckle of the left hand is key. This puts the applied force just above what some people call the 'couple' point. The golfer's right hand finger grip on the handle and the right forearm/wrist is used by the golfer to set the desired shaft lean and to control the clubface to run it into the golf ball precisely on the sweet spot.              

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 10:22 AM, GreatStrike said:

I sure do!  Golf Digest, June 30, 2013

The quote is about ¾ down the Golf Digest article about Ken Venturi's golf-related life story 'My Shot' - the quote starts with the words; 'WHEN I DESCRIBE'... 

I hope no one is suggesting that Ken Venturi was wrong about his and Ben Hogan's belief about the golf swing being a right-handed game [for right-handers], not a left-handed game as some people here believe...  

Nobody here that I know of believes that it is a left handed game.  If you are reading this and you do believe it is a left or lead hand game then please speak up! 

Hogan said what he wanted to say about swinging a golf club in his book.   Did he say it is a right handed game in 'Five Lesson's?

2 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Nobody here that I know of believes that it is a left handed game.  If you are reading this and you do believe it is a left or lead hand game then please speak up! 

Hogan said what he wanted to say about swinging a golf club in his book.   Did he say it is a right handed game in 'Five Lesson's?

Responding more to GreatStrike, but my guess that some guys like Mickelson, Stenson, and Spieth would probably disagree that the dominant/controlling arm has to be the trail arm (ie right hand for a righty), considering they all play opposite their dominant arm. I bet they do think in terms of their lead/dominant arm in the swing (ie left arm for swinging righty). There are probably tradeoffs, but absolutes are dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

Responding more to GreatStrike, but my guess that some guys like Mickelson, Stenson, and Spieth would probably disagree that the dominant/controlling arm has to be the trail arm (ie right hand for a righty), considering they all play opposite their dominant arm. I bet they do think in terms of their lead/dominant arm in the swing (ie left arm for swinging righty). There are probably tradeoffs, but absolutes are dangerous. 

The man known as 'Lefty' (Phil Mickelson) is actually right handed, and I think the only thing he does left-handed is play golf. He started playing left-handed because he learned by mirroring his right-handed father's swing. Henrik Stenson and Jordan Spieth are lefties that play right-handed.

Of course it never hurts to be ambidextrous, which I happen to be. I can play left-handed or right-handed almost equally well, though I played competitively right-handed. I'm left eye dominant and learned that I was better putting on an arc when using a right-handed putter.     

I was invited to make a quest appearance at one of Shawn Clement's golf instruction outings in Dallas some years ago. Shawn is ambidextrous too, and we both put on a little exhibition for his 20-30 students hitting balls both lefty and righty on the range.

Shawn is super nice guy and a talented golf instructor with lots of fun analogies and teaching tools.  He's quite impressive... I enjoyed the time we spent together.

By the way, Shawn teaches a centrifugal force, pivot and momentum type golf swing with passive wrist action.      

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography

4 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Nobody but @GreatStrike seems to believe you ignore half of your body, but just as he's been wont to invent some people who sent him DMs (despite never replying to him in topics), he's probably invented this straw man here, too.

Maybe he communicates with Homer via a ouija board, I don't know.

tgmouija.jpeg.d664f3f1397fab21245da4ff8a3129e8.jpeg

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

11 hours ago, GreatStrike said:

The man known as 'Lefty' (Phil Mickelson) is actually right handed, and I think the only thing he does left-handed is play golf. He started playing left-handed because he learned by mirroring his right-handed father's swing. Henrik Stenson and Jordan Spieth are lefties that play right-handed.

Of course it never hurts to be ambidextrous, which I happen to be. I can play left-handed or right-handed almost equally well, though I played competitively right-handed. I'm left eye dominant and learned that I was better putting on an arc when using a right-handed putter.     

I was invited to make a quest appearance at one of Shawn Clement's golf instruction outings in Dallas some years ago. Shawn is ambidextrous too, and we both put on a little exhibition for his 20-30 students hitting balls both lefty and righty on the range.

Shawn is super nice guy and a talented golf instructor with lots of fun analogies and teaching tools.  He's quite impressive... I enjoyed the time we spent together.

By the way, Shawn teaches a centrifugal force, pivot and momentum type golf swing with passive wrist action.      

That is very cool. Like Mac O’Grady who can swing great from both sides. Could you do a video and demonstrate your righty swing and then flip around and go lefty. That would be awesome to watch!

• Thanks 1