2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Biggest Driving Range Annoyances

[quote name='taylormade golf guy 182' post='833250' date='Dec 22 2007, 12:26 AM'][quote name='Clevelandjunkie' post='833135' date='Dec 21 2007, 02:59 PM']2 guys side by side on the range hitting at the same target and having a conversation with each other loud enough that I could here them at the back of the range. IDIOTS :cheesy:[/quote]

Its even worse when it is about 6 guys standing watching each one hit terrible shots then laughing. Then they carry on with stupid loud conversations. I hate it. :rockon:
[/quote]

Yeah thats definitely out. There is no way you should enjoy your self at the range.

Nothing annoys me at the range, I buy balls hit them and go home. Its a bit more relaxing than having a list of 10 things to worry about- some one dared to talk to me- used a booth too close to me- some one even laughed. That all sounds a little bit anal and not good for the blood pressure.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excessive talking on the range is really the only thng that drives me crazy. At a range that I go to sometimes there is a gentleman who talks to himself after every shot. He is about a 25 handicap and after every shot through a large bucket he flips his hands and club around and talks to himself, complaining about the shot he hit. There are lots of "what the &%$%"'s and "why do you keep doing that, stupid"'s. At first I was annoyed by the noise, but now I'm annoyed that he makes me laugh so hard that I can't practice. When ever I see him show up I have to go in the club house for a break or move my practicing to the putting green.

I have been fortunate enough to find several ranges that are less visited so my annoyances are way less than most.

With that being said:

Mr. Know it all and his buddy: Dragging out the big stick and wailing away while bragging about you 250 (200 actual) drive and daring me to top it. Shut up and leave me alone, go to the other side of town and annoy those people.

Mr. Chunker: I work hard to make nice tight hitting area and I like good grass and I don't need you tearing up half the grass. Grass grows slow, make the most of it. Years ago I read about Mr. Hogan hitting balls on a wet range and being so precise in his swing it was almost impossible to see where he was hitting at, I have tried to emulate this thought pattern for years, help me out.

Mr. MP3: If I wanted to listen to music while I hitting balls I would of brought my own. It's bad enough that I can hear the crap you are listening to escaping from you but do you have to sing along with it? and do it off key?

Mr. "what is wrong with my swing"?: Go away, I have a hard enough time keeping my own swing in check, don't ask me to fix yours. Go get lessons! and not from me.

and for all you non-smokers (just to fan the flames a bit)
Mr. "Your cigar stinks": Yeah I know it stinks but I enjoy it. Go to the other end of the range. I was polite enough to go to the downwind end of the range away from the rest of you so I could enjoy 2 of my favorite things. I didn't ask you to come and sit up camp next to me so go away or shut up. Besides, have you really given thought to the fact that the clenching I am doing on that cigar keeps me from wrapping a iron around your neck?

oh, and yes, I know it is bad for my health, let me worry about it.

just my .02

Frenchy07

"Wow, that is the worst sounding driver I have ever heard..."

In case you haven't noticed - it is 36* degrees outside and these golf balls are rocks. Also pay attention to where my drives are going... Oh yeah, YES, that was a good - wow 40 yards deeper then your longest drive, and they were all straight. How is that right fence treating you partner? IT COULD BE WORSE - IT COULD BE SUMO2 or COBRA.

[quote name='Paully' post='823711' date='Dec 14 2007, 02:38 AM']Nothing really annoys me at the range. It's just practice, not like you have any money on the line or anything. Probably the only thing that I can do without are when little kids are let free to roam w/out supervision. I don't like to have to constantly watch my area to make sure a kid isn't there that I might hit on my backswing. I'm all for bringing your kids to the range and getting them introduced to the game, but if you bring them, make sure you know where they are at all times and aren't wandering around unsupervised.[/quote]

Exact same for me, unsupervised kids are my biggest gripe.

[color=#0000ff]Ping G400LST 10° Ping Tour 65 shaft S
Titleist TS 2 16.5 and 21° Tensei Blue stiff
Ping i200 4 - W, KBS 120 tour stiff
Ping Glide 2 stealth 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Red Tour[/color]

At my home coarse there is a short game area that consists of a green with 3 pins, and fairway that goes out from 3 directions. Two of the hitting areas are 20 yards deep to practice pitch shots and chips, while the other is 70 yards deep to practice those tricky yardages from 30 yards out. So I'm 60 yards out hitting balls and some guy gets in the area I'm hitting over and places their bag between me and the pin, 10 yards off the green. They apparantly can't take 20 steps to the other two open areas to practice their chips where they will have no one hitting over their heads. They just expect me to stop doing what I'm doing and wait for them to finish.

Also the solicitor of unwanted advice, this is especially annoying after they persist after I say I'm getting lessons from a pro.

[quote name='texashigh10' post='842944' date='Dec 31 2007, 12:05 AM']At my home coarse there is a short game area that consists of a green with 3 pins, and fairway that goes out from 3 directions. Two of the hitting areas are 20 yards deep to practice pitch shots and chips, while the other is 70 yards deep to practice those tricky yardages from 30 yards out. So I'm 60 yards out hitting balls and some guy gets in the area I'm hitting over and places their bag between me and the pin, 10 yards off the green. They apparently can't take 20 steps to the other two open areas to practice their chips where they will have no one hitting over their heads. They just expect me to stop doing what I'm doing and wait for them to finish.[/quote]
One would [i]almost[/i] be tempted to try a few mini Tiger-like "stingers"... just to make a point. :russian_roulette:

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

[quote name='csiachos' post='828905' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:23 AM']Someone please close this topic. Getting ridiculous.[/quote]

YES - this topic is just way to negative.

Sometimes people are annoying - get over it. We need to cultivate an environment of WELCOMING newcomers to the game of golf, not giving them dirty looks when they chat with a friend on the range for a few minutes. Yes, I know, I've been annoyed SO many times by various things at the range. But you know what annoys me even more? Going to courses or clubs where everyone seems to think they can act like Donald Trump.

Happy New Year!

[quote name='willamette' post='845278' date='Jan 1 2008, 09:52 PM'][quote name='csiachos' post='828905' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:23 AM']Someone please close this topic. Getting ridiculous.[/quote]

Sometimes people are annoying - get over it. We need to cultivate an environment of WELCOMING newcomers to the game of golf, not giving them dirty looks when they chat with a friend on the range for a few minutes. Yes, I know, I've been annoyed SO many times by various things at the range. But you know what annoys me even more? Going to courses or clubs where everyone seems to think they can act like Donald Trump.

Happy New Year!
[/quote]
Well said, I agree amigo!

Talk all you want, just please don't smoke around me :russian_roulette:

[quote name='j0npeterson' post='845296' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:33 PM'][quote name='willamette' post='845278' date='Jan 1 2008, 09:52 PM'][quote name='csiachos' post='828905' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:23 AM']Someone please close this topic. Getting ridiculous.[/quote]

Happy New Year!
[/quote]
Well said, I agree amigo!

Talk all you want, just please don't smoke around me :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

i think the annoyances are magnified in this thread because people rant about it and it becomes the focus. but when it actually happens at the range we'd all take a deep breath and get on with our practice
some of us probably don't take it as seriously as we sound but at the end of the day you still have to vent

[quote name='cman' post='845311' date='Jan 1 2008, 10:50 PM']The only time I ever got annoyed was when I had lefty hitting on my left and for some reason he decided to take a couple backward steps towards me for a practice swing and fractured my left ring finger during my backswing. [b]The weird thing is I thought it was some random pain spasm until he hit me again...................[/b][/quote]
:russian_roulette::)

sorry! but it's funny!

3 things that annoy me:

1. When teens come out there and attempt the Happy Gilmore shot.

2. When Dad brings the young kids that cry.

3. THE WORST.. I had this 17-20 handicapper comes up to me when I was hitting my 905R driver. His statement, "I could never hit that. It's too big. I can't look down on something that big."

MEANING: "I come from the old school."

I basically responded " You should try it. You'll hit the ball better. If tour pros can get used to it I think you will too."

My .02 worth:

A**HOLES dressed like tour pros brag up their brand new equipment to their "buddies" and say "Yeah this is what Phil uses so I had to have it" or "Yeah it was only $599 for the driver, not too bad really!" and complain that their SW is a year old and time to upgrade. On top of all that, they have a damn bluetooth earpiece on and talking on it! FYI NOBODY LOOKS COOL OR IMPORTANT WITH THOSE THINGS IN THEIR EARS!!!

People who make little comments to eachother within earshot of a guy two mats down (usually me) using "museum clubs" i.e. persimmon woods or blades. "Dude, why is that guy using wooden woods?" I USE THEM!!! What do you care!? I like the feel of persimmon. FYI I am 29, not 80. Yes I do have a modern driver, but I prefer the consistancy of persimmon. I'm not measuring my manhood with my drives nor am I a technophile.

CELL PHONES!! AND DUMBSH*T EARPIECES>>LEAVE THEM OFF OR IN YOUR CAR!!!!

As The Hawk said many times on the range "Don't talk while I practice"

• 1 month later...

Other people rarely bother me at the range. Unless someone started stealing my balls or stole my clubs while I was getting more balls from the machine, I don't care what the hell you do. It's not my golf range so I can't dictate your behavior. Talking on phones, cigarettes, kids, dogs, girlfriends, lurkers, whatever. Doesn't bother me.

My biggest pet peeves are the fact that the range balls are rock hard and only 50% of them are in reasonable condition. I don't like mats either. I get nervous when a lefty is right behind me and I feel like their backswing is going to knock my head off.

My swing pisses me off when something is off. I hate that I can feel peoples eyes when they stop for a second to check out my swing......I inevitably top/skull the ball and proceed to look like a novice with clubs I don't deserve.

the dude that shows up on the grass mats dressed like a tour pro with the staff bag and hits 4 shanks!

inaccurate flag distances

young punks trying to hit the "dude in the cart picker"

the dude with the hot girlfriend who sits there and she just adores every slice he hits

and the kicker------crappy sliced defective orange rock flite range balls that i just payed 9 bux for!

i could go on :wub:

YEP... you hit the nail on the head.

People that see you hit a bad shot and immediatly offer advice... ok but I could still school this person on the course and it sometimes hurts my ears to listen.

The basket full of rubber tees for everyones use, but there all about a half inch long and wont even poke out of the mat because people cut them.

ball machines that skims you on balls. seriously it doesn't matter.... sell time stall time or something with unlimited balls.

Wow I never thought of that to sell time rather than balls! That might go into a business plan.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

i'm rarely bothered, thats until you get a ball flying right by year ear because a little kid shanks one off the toe, you can talk all you want, just don't start yelling in my down swing. as for price i paid $225 for a year range key (brand new nike ball) Man i love my golf club also being mil i only paid $330 for a year membership (that comes out to around $2 a round last year, thats beat 60+ with out a cart)

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I agree.

Nothing really annoys me at the range. It's just practice, not like you have any money on the line or anything. Probably the only thing that I can do without are when little kids are let free to roam w/out supervision. I don't like to have to constantly watch my area to make sure a kid isn't there that I might hit on my backswing. I'm all for bringing your kids to the range and getting them introduced to the game, but if you bring them, make sure you know where they are at all times and aren't wandering around unsupervised.

The unattended kids thing is one for sure. But the other thing that gets me is the people smoking right next to the stalls. I know I'm touching a nerve with some people, but I don't like trying to hit balls in a smoke cloud/trail. Everything else I just tend to block out.

I hate smokers, especially the ones that just sit on their a** and watch others while we inhale their crap. Wish I could squirt them with gasoline.

Insanely frustrating! This doesn't stop at the driving range though. Good luck telling someone to go smoke elsewhere -- even though they're doing more harm to others than themselves. If I ever get to a position of judicial power, cigarettes are the first things to go.

Juansky. Your post is the pinnacle of ignorance. It absolutely doesn't get any dumber. I would pay money to watch you try to squirt me with gasoline.

It kills me that some of you people are so bothered by people smoking outside. I recently quit smoking, and I have been on both sides of that. What is so harmful to you about someone smoking OUTSIDE? I can understand not wanting to be indoors with a bunch of people smoking, but we are talking about outdoors.

If you actually think that smokers are doing more harm to others than themselves you should be exterminated so that you cannot procreate and pollute the gene pool with your ignorant, intolerant offspring.

I don't know if it's the pinnacle of ignorance, but it was a little over the top.

I can't fathom how someone can defend smoking in a public place where there are other people around. Regardless of the detrimental heath effects, those who do it are flat out impolite. If someone wanted any form of wafting smoke, unfiltered or otherwise, they'd be burning up the cancer sticks right next to you to other smokers.

Face it, there's piles and piles of evidence stating that it's harmful. Note, I'm not on some anti-smoking crusade, but this is a "Biggest Driving Range Annoyances" thread and it does seem to carry some validity. Out of courtesy for others, the least those who smoke could do is take it elsewhere (maybe some place where it isn't a hindrance?)

On the same token of infinite ignorance, doesn't it seem a little hypocritical to pile on someone for mouthing off about spraying someone with gasoline, then turning around and saying someone should be exterminated -- all for stating the facts? Touché, Boywonder.

Thanks for the good laughs and coming to my defense. ;)

I would like to add to the "pinnacle of ignorance" part. I'm assuming all smokers fit the bill of ignorant since they smoke and ignore the "CAUTION" label on the cigarrate box.... :rolleyes:

My annoyances.

1.) The Happy Gilmore teenagers out there putting skymarks on their dad's new FT-5/SuperQuad/Sumo

2.) The drunk guys treating it like a bowling alley, using one set of clubs between the 4 of them and doing the "duck and cover" trying to recover their 5 yd. chunk.

3.) Cell phone business/making plans to go the club guy/gal (this is an annoyance everywhere)

4.) The hovering-over-your-shoulder-really-quiet-but-you're-still-aware-of-his-presence guy

5.) The lady demoing clubs loudly exclaiming how she needs a men's stiff flex after shanking a few drives with a women's club when she's barely swinging over 50 mph. Then cursing at her husband who is telling her it's not the club but her swing. (this bothered me the most, she was very rude to everyone there, and I'm honestly not even sure how she managed to even make contact with her janky swing)

6.) That kid that's better than me ;)

None of this stuff really bothers me all that much, but it can get to me sometimes.

Also, I am a smoker and make an effort to separate myself from the group or head downwind on the farthest side of the range when there are few people there. If there are lots of people there, I either don't smoke, or I step WAY away back towards the designated smoking area. I understand people don't like it, and I try my best to not cause a problem, if that means not smoking then so-be-it, I need to quit anyway.

My annoyances.

1.) The Happy Gilmore teenagers out there putting skymarks on their dad's new FT-5/SuperQuad/Sumo

2.) The drunk guys treating it like a bowling alley, using one set of clubs between the 4 of them and doing the "duck and cover" trying to recover their 5 yd. chunk.

3.) Cell phone business/making plans to go the club guy/gal (this is an annoyance everywhere)

4.) The hovering-over-your-shoulder-really-quiet-but-you're-still-aware-of-his-presence guy

5.) The lady demoing clubs loudly exclaiming how she needs a men's stiff flex after shanking a few drives with a women's club when she's barely swinging over 50 mph. Then cursing at her husband who is telling her it's not the club but her swing. (this bothered me the most, she was very rude to everyone there, and I'm honestly not even sure how she managed to even make contact with her janky swing)

6.) That kid that's better than me ;)

None of this stuff really bothers me all that much, but it can get to me sometimes.

Also, I am a smoker and make an effort to separate myself from the group or head downwind on the farthest side of the range when there are few people there. If there are lots of people there, I either don't smoke, or I step WAY away back towards the designated smoking area. I understand people don't like it, and I try my best to not cause a problem, if that means not smoking then so-be-it, I need to quit anyway.

I'll take #4 for $1,000 Alex. I hate that guy. I also hate when I set up with plenty of room around me (practice at a huge range with hardly anyone there most of the time), then next thing I know I'm surrounded, but the rest of the range is still empty.

truth is, I enjoy practicing, but I'm VERY serious about it. I'm concetrating hard, trying to feel whats going on and connect my feelings with the resulting flight. small things are no big deal, but some people are just ANNOYING, and when I'm puting all of my mind into one thing, that focus can fade when people are being stupid.

one annoyance most of you don't have to deal with is where the hitting area is on the range. my range has a flat area, then a downslope, that another slightly lower flat area. both flat areas are used, but sometimes they put the hitting area just on the top of the downslope between the two. oh how I enjoy practicing with my 4 iron of a downhill lie! BUT, its also HILARIOUS, because other people are just to dumb to notice the downhill lie. guys are teeing up their drivers (I step back to the flat are for driver/Fwood shots), and wondering why they are topping it or just hitting bad shots.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a driving range near my house and office in Alabang, Philippines. Believe it or not it's really nice. However, it caters to a different type of client. They have "tee girls" here. They literally sit on a chair that belongs in a kindergarten and place your balls on the hitting surface for you. Which is quite annoying.

I always politely ask them to take a seat that's behind the mat and tell them to get a drink on me. Their fee is just over a dollar tagged onto the normal fees, which isn't much. Needless to say I'm very popular there b/c I don't act like a slave master. This does get me in a lot of trouble with my girlfriend. For the "tee girls" like to flirt with the nice young American.

There's a lot of "teaching pros" there too. For some reason they love to watch me hit. I don't know why. They do politely ask I don't use my driver due to the fact the 300 yard mark is the road at the end of the range. (Been also politely asked to leave for the day twice for hitting taxis driving by.)

Anyway, I suppose a tee girl sitting right in front of you putting balls down for you to hit is the biggest annoyance I've had.